Author Topic: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?  (Read 15091 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2016, 05:49:56 AM »
I loved the Rock series starting with "Lick" by this author. I have this one on waitlist at the library.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
My library doesn't carry it  :( so I'm debating whether I should buy it at full price or wait for it to come on sale. They usually discount the first book of a series right before the second is released. Kylie Scott is one of the few authors I will consider buying at full price. I absolutely loved Stage Dive. Mal is one of my favorite book boyfriends and I heard that he makes a brief appearance in this one. Since it's only $4.99, I may just break down and get it.

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »
I love rock stars! I will definitely have to check out this author:) Nalini Singh also has a rock star series that is amazing. They were all 5 star reads for me. I will admit that there is a novella between 1 and 2 that I skipped but I didn't miss anything.

Book 1

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2016, 05:05:58 PM »
Sale:

I already own it and it definitely an enjoyable read:)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2016, 07:14:32 AM »
I just finished an awesome book

5 star read from me. Its set in London, among stage actors. And it was not first person, yippeee, it was an adult CR, not some wishy washy emo drama lama in 1st person where there are so many out there now. Its amazing how hard it is to find good CR that is not written in 1st or is not about whiney young, or adults acting like young whiney ones.

I would read more CR if I could find more like this. Loved the setting, all british.

So now I am starting another one that looks to be a hit.

Set in Sidney and again, normal 3rd person. These are the kind of reads I am looking for in CR. Anyone that read those has other recs, I am all ears.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
Sorry, I posted to this thread instead of the Historical Romance thread - I have deleted and moved my post!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:29:44 AM by crebel »
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »
I just finished an awesome book

So now I am starting another one that looks to be a hit.

Set in Sidney and again, normal 3rd person. These are the kind of reads I am looking for in CR. Anyone that read those has other recs, I am all ears.

Act Like It is on my never-ending TBR pile. Every time it gets recommended, I bump it up, but the problem is that my copy is in ePub and that means reading on my iPad, so it usually gets bumped right back down again. As for Ainslie Paton, I've read 2 of her books (Grease Monkey Jive and Unsuitable) and have at least 2 or 3 others on the pile. I loved both of the ones I read. It's so refreshing to read romances by non-US authors because they often don't follow the standard conventions that we are used to.

If you are looking for smart, adult characters and good banter, I'd recommend anything by Jennifer Crusie, Julie James, or Jill Shalvis. If you haven't read Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie, do yourself a favor and grab it! I think you've read the Stage Dive series by Kylie Scott, but if not, you should give it a try. I loved Hollywood Dirt by Alessandra Torre which features an actor who goes to Georgia to shoot a movie and meets a local girl who is utterly unimpressed with him. Another stand-alone romance that I recommend to everyone is Good Time Bad Boy by Sonya Clark. The hero is a washed up 40 YO country singer and the heroine is a very mature 26 YO waitress, but he's the one that has some growing up to do while she's the one who has her act together. It's one of those lovely, quiet romances that just focuses on the characters and their growing connection.

Let's see, other authors I'd recommend are Marie Force, Ruthie Knox, Meg Benjamin, Melissa Cutler, Sarah Morgan, Sarah Mayberry, Shannon Stacey and Claudia Connor. Oh, and Victoria Dahl - I really loved her Tumble Creek series.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2016, 03:22:17 AM »
While I'm a fan of many of the authors mentioned above, my first recommendation is Julie James. She writes smart professional women and heroes that have stuck with me.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2016, 05:56:59 AM »
I read two by Julie James, had to check. One I didn't really like that much was "just the sexiest man alive" I almost didn't read another by her based on that one. Then I read "Something about You" first in the FBI series. I did love that one.

I read Bet me and another by that same author a few years back, Kylie Scott, just need to read the last in the Stage Dive, awesome series. I own Hollywood Dirt so yay on that.

I'll look up the other names. Ruthie Knox keeps getting rec'ed to me. And I own 5 of her books already  :o :P.
Sales, get me everytime. Or I should say, they used to get me everytime.

thanks for all the names, making a list for adult CR so I know where to go in the future. Awesome.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
Another great contemporary romantic suspense novel is The Mystery Of An Old Murder by Laura Brett (all five star reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads!)

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Old-Murder-Laura-Brett/dp/1532957173?ie=UTF8&keywords=mystery%20old%20murder&qid=1463759482&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Have you checked out the books by JENNIFER VICTORIA CHURCH? They fall right into the romantic suspense category. Her books The Gypsy's Prophecy (https://www.amazon.com/Gypsys-Prophecy-Jennifer-Victoria-Church-ebook/dp/B01B8PLM8O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1463759421&sr=8-4&keywords=jennifer+victoria+church) and The House With The Haunted Oak (https://www.amazon.com/House-Haunted-Jennifer-Victoria-Church-ebook/dp/B01B8P1RSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463759421&sr=8-2&keywords=jennifer+victoria+church) are quite suspenseful.

None of these books fall into the Contemporary Romance or Romantic Suspense categories, not even close.

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »
Atunah, if you see anything that's lendable and want to try it, I'd be happy to loan if I have it. I've been reading about 2/3 contemporaries lately so my library is huge. 

I agree on Julie James. I started with her FBI series so I was hooked right away, but I think Just the Sexiest Man Alive was her first book, and wasn't as good as the later ones. Also, I mentioned Marie Force - have you tried her Fatal series? It's about 50/50 between romance and suspense and it's really good. I also like her Gansett Island series.

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2016, 11:16:44 PM »
Act Like It is on my never-ending TBR pile. Every time it gets recommended, I bump it up, but the problem is that my copy is in ePub and that means reading on my iPad, so it usually gets bumped right back down again. As for Ainslie Paton, I've read 2 of her books (Grease Monkey Jive and Unsuitable) and have at least 2 or 3 others on the pile. I loved both of the ones I read. It's so refreshing to read romances by non-US authors because they often don't follow the standard conventions that we are used to.

If you are looking for smart, adult characters and good banter, I'd recommend anything by Jennifer Crusie, Julie James, or Jill Shalvis. If you haven't read Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie, do yourself a favor and grab it! I think you've read the Stage Dive series by Kylie Scott, but if not, you should give it a try. I loved Hollywood Dirt by Alessandra Torre which features an actor who goes to Georgia to shoot a movie and meets a local girl who is utterly unimpressed with him. Another stand-alone romance that I recommend to everyone is Good Time Bad Boy by Sonya Clark. The hero is a washed up 40 YO country singer and the heroine is a very mature 26 YO waitress, but he's the one that has some growing up to do while she's the one who has her act together. It's one of those lovely, quiet romances that just focuses on the characters and their growing connection.

Let's see, other authors I'd recommend are Marie Force, Ruthie Knox, Meg Benjamin, Melissa Cutler, Sarah Morgan, Sarah Mayberry, Shannon Stacey and Claudia Connor. Oh, and Victoria Dahl - I really loved her Tumble Creek series.

Oh! I second Jill Shalvis, she's a go to author when I need something light and fun to read. Worktolive, a couple of these authors are new to me so thank you for that! Otherwise we have pretty similar tastes  ;D

Other romantic suspense authors I can recommend are Suzanne Brockmann, Elizabeth Lowell (really liked her 'Donovans' series), and Lisa Clark O'Neill (especially the 'Sweet Water' books). For general contemporaries you could try Nancy Herkness (the 'Whisper Horse' series), Kristan Higgins, or Virginia Kantra (the 'Dare Island' books). And of course they are slightly dated now but intended to be contemporary--any of Georgette Heyer's mystery novels that feature either Hannasyde or Inspector Hemingway.

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
Julie Anne Long's first contemporary romance is finally here! After all of her Pennyroyal Green books (which I mostly loved) I'm anxious to see what she does with this genre.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2016, 07:28:07 AM »
Anyone have any good way to search for CR/RS that is either set in britain, england or other, or has a british hero in it?

I just tried searching in the kindle store and it is horrible. Nothing but scam book and shorts and things calling themselves books with like 130 pages. I searched for contemporary romance england. Holy moly what a mess. No matter what I sort it at, can't find a darn thing this way.

Thing is, I do like some wittiness (not overly cutesey though), but often they tend to lean towards chick lit when they have that with many of the usual authors, settings in the US. I don't like chick lit stuff at all so that is why CR is so difficult for me to find. Some might be that I cannot relate to the heroines that like to go shopping, collect shoes and purses. I didn't grow up in the US so college stuff is just not something I can relate to either. I'll read it if its well done.

I also don't like NA, so it makes it even more difficult.
Its just tough right now with the lists being populated by all the things I hate. Bikers, fighters, billionaire bdsm, stepbrothers, a-holes, emo NA, abuse CR (some call it dark), etc

Going to see if I can find some goodreads listopia's on this.

They really need to clean up the amazon kindle store. Romance categories are just flooded with garbage.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »
Anyone have any good way to search for CR/RS that is either set in britain, england or other, or has a british hero in it?

I never try searching, and this is why. It's virtually impossible to get meaningful results. I just read lots of book blogs and keep lots of lists.  :D

I would recommend Sue Moorcroft. I read a really good, very British romance by her called Starting Over. So different from American romances. She's published by a company called Choc Lit. They publish mainly British authors, both romances and Chick Lit.

Other authors that write romance with British settings are Jane Lovering and Linda Gillard. Also LH Cosway - her settings are Irish. Her books border on NA, but I really wouldn't classify them in that category although her MCs are usually in their early to mid-20's.

I also recently started a series by Janet Elizabeth Henderson that's set in a small town in Scotland. I started with the second book in the series, which is called Goody Two Shoes, but I know you would want to start with the first book which is called Lingerie Wars. The book I read was quite funny - I would classify it as small town romantic comedy, but definitely not chick lit.

The only problem with all of these is that you are unlikely to find any of them at your local library, but Choc Lit's prices are good, and others are self-pubbed and in the $3.99 range.

Offline NightWriterCT

• View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »
For romantic suspense - two books that raised the bar for me (as both a reader and a writer) are by Susan Isaacs:

Shining Through

and

After All These Years

I can't count how many times I've read them. They're both just so good.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:24:46 AM by NightWriterCT »

Abby Vegas | Author Website | Twitter

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2016, 04:29:33 AM »
Finally sat down and read Julie Anne Long's book cover to cover.

OMG! A five star read for me--it may even be better than some of her Pennyroyal Green historicals. I started it a little skeptically because the plot didn't sound too great---hot actor's truck breaks down in small mountain town, he meets beautiful young waitress, etc. But it never got trite at all, the characters were all so great. How can you  not love a woman who rescues dying plants and nurses them back to life on her front porch, telling them every day they're doing great? Or a sexy hero who brings her a dying azalea instead of roses because he intuits how much she would love being able to save it? Or the gin-drinking, rifle-toting ninety-two year old woman next door? There is a whole host of eccentric and wonderful characters in this book and I fell in love with most of them! The romance is both sweet and incredibly hot, there are real and serious issues the hero and heroine deal with, and their HEA warms the heart. I am now seriously looking forward to the next book in this new series, and I know who I want the main character to be.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:41:13 AM by Wisteria Clematis »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
Thanks worktolive for all the CR options to look at. Its just easier to have something to start with. Searching really is useless at this point.

Wisteria, I added the Julie Anne Long right to my library after reading your review. I always get concerned when a HR writer jumps to CR. I don't want to lose them. Darn, or is it loose. I know crebel tried to give me a mental "bridge" the other day and its already fallen out of my brain. I am loosing it  ;D

Anywho, The Long title is on my reading list. But holy hell that is a horrible title. Yikes. I would never touch that with a 10 foot pole if it was an unknown author, unless of course it would be recommended.

So I just finished

And I really liked it, a bit short. So I read 2 of this author now, since someone said that she also writes under Lucy Parker.

Both of these books have one thing in common, they are not based in the US. I think for me I just tend to like those better, or at least have some non american characters in it. I can't explain it, it just is.

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2016, 05:30:36 AM »
Yep, it is a god-awful title. I don't know what she (or her editors) were thinking. I would never have picked it up either if she wasn't a favorite of mine already. But it is really good! Speaking of editors however--I'm wondering if she even had one for this book. There were several typos throughout....not enough to detract from reading it, but enough to be surprising in a book by a major author. Things spell check wouldn't catch--like using the wrong pronoun ('she' instead of 'he') or 'there' instead of 'their.' Again....not to the annoying point. You're gonna love some of these characters!

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2016, 06:05:07 PM »
A really great freebie and first in the series.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2016, 05:12:12 AM »
Yep, it is a god-awful title. I don't know what she (or her editors) were thinking. I would never have picked it up either if she wasn't a favorite of mine already. But it is really good! Speaking of editors however--I'm wondering if she even had one for this book. There were several typos throughout....not enough to detract from reading it, but enough to be surprising in a book by a major author. Things spell check wouldn't catch--like using the wrong pronoun ('she' instead of 'he') or 'there' instead of 'their.' Again....not to the annoying point. You're gonna love some of these characters!

Had to dust off the thread to add my 2cents.

I've never read a Julie Ann Long historical, and reading this recommendation ages ago I put it on hold @ Brooklyn. So flash forward to the book coming available -  I thought why did I put a book on hold with this stupid title and a synopsis that sounds like half the contemporaries out there? Hold that thought - the snappy dialogue between the H and h had me laughing from the start! Only issues were with the editing as said above. Definitely looking forward to the next book in the series, and maybe I'll read a(n) historical by her in the meantime. :)

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2016, 07:33:01 PM »
Just as a heads up it looks like Judith McNaught's books will be available 11/1! I am excited to reread old favorites:)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »
Snap up this freebie, its a Nalini Singh. First in the Rock series

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2016, 08:44:28 PM »
Snap up this freebie, its a Nalini Singh. First in the Rock series

I love this series! I already own the first 3 otherwise I would have grabbed it. They just got better and better. I do have to admit I skipped book 1.5 and I don't feel I really missed anything since it is a novella.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2016, 08:48:34 PM »
I love this series! I already own the first 3 otherwise I would have grabbed it. They just got better and better. I do have to admit I skipped book 1.5 and I don't feel I really missed anything since it is a novella.
I look forward to reading this one. I will also skip the novella, as I always do. Just don't like them. I don't even read them in the JD Robb series and I flove that one. Glad to hear you didn't miss anything. That is something that drives me nuts when its almost required to read the shorts in some series.