Author Topic: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?  (Read 14966 times)  

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
Re: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2016, 03:18:45 AM »
It's true, you don't have to read the novella, Rock Courtship, but it's actually pretty sweet. David is totally in love with Thea, the band's publicist, but every time he asks her out, she shoots him down. Still he keeps trying and he's so charming about it. The guy chasing the girl is one of my favorite tropes, so I loved it. It's pretty long for a novella also.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
Snap up this freebie, its a Nalini Singh. First in the Rock series

Thanks, just downloaded!

Just wanted to mention 2 new contemporary romance books that I really enjoyed. The 1st is a new series by Samantha Young, her Dublin Street series is one of my favorites.
Good start to a new series, can't wait for the nest book!

The other is a great debut novel that I was able to borrow from overdrive... . Looking forward to reading more from this author!

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »
I got The Hating game on waitlist at library. Looking forward to it if you enjoyed it. A friend on goodreads said they hated the heroine. Curious. I still have a few ahead of me.

I have this RS freebie. Deborah Camp also writes HR going back to the early 90' and I have read some of her back list titles there and liked them

ALso a sale on Ainslie Paton. Its 71 cents, odd price. But the author seems to be australian so that might explain the odd price. Its published through harlequin and its the first in a 3 book series, standalone series as far as I can tell. Full lenght.

I read white balance by this author and liked it fine. I gave it 3 stars as there were a lot of errors in it. repeated words, just a lot of editing issues. But that book was self published and this on sale here is with Harlequin, Escape wich I think is an australian arm, so one can hope it wouldn't have such obvious errors. They were really reallyl bad in white balance, I man really bad. Which was sad as the story was really good. Hero in that book was from NZ. So I hope that book is also set outside the US. For some reason I am drawn to CR that are not in the US.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:10:00 PM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2016, 03:19:13 PM »
I got The Hating game on waitlist at library. Looking forward to it if you enjoyed it. A friend on goodreads said they hated the heroine. Curious. I still have a few ahead of me.

ALso a sale on Ainslie Paton. Its 71 cents, odd price. But the author seems to be australian so that might explain the odd price. Its published through harlequin and its the first in a 3 book series, standalone series as far as I can tell. Full lenght.

I read white balance by this author and liked it fine. I gave it 3 stars as there were a lot of errors in it. repeated words, just a lot of editing issues. But that book was self published and this on sale here is with Harlequin, Escape wich I think is an australian arm, so one can hope it wouldn't have such obvious errors. They were really reallyl bad in white balance, I man really bad. Which was sad as the story was really good.

I just got The Hating Game from the library and read it last week. It was entertaining. I would rate it a B.

I love Ainslie Paton and I already own the other two books in this series, so I was happy to see the first one go on sale. I recently read one of hers called Damaged Goods, that featured a hero with erectile dysfunction as a result of injuries he suffered in a car accident. That was a pretty unique storyline for a romance. One reason I enjoy her books is that she takes the usual tropes and finds a way to give them a different spin. I believe this one was also self-published but I don't recall any major grammar issues - maybe she's found a good proofreader. Of course, I've also gotten much more lenient on editing since so many self-pubbed books have at least some issues.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
I don't really notice a lot of the grammar stuff to be honest, but this was really bad. It wasn't really grammar. Here are just 2 examples I highlighed in my goodreads review.

reac,t

She was his only his assistant,

There was a LOT of this stuff in my copy. It kept throwing me out of the book as those non comma things look weird. And those double words and sentenses I have to read 2 times and go huh? Maybe the one you read didn't have those issues. I was just baffled that it was never fixed as the book has been out some time.

But as I really liked the setting and the story a lot, I got the sale I posted. I do like it when authors are able to come up with fresh stuff in CR. I am also glad there are still CR that are not whiney babies dressed in NA coats. I want adults, real CR, not teenage angst in the body of a 25 year old. You know what I mean.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:27:27 PM by Atunah »

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
Editing issues tend to drive me crazy because I DO notice them, but I like cheap books, so I've had to really relax my standards, otherwise many of the self-pubbed books wouldn't meet them. Sometimes, I'm tempted to ask the author if they want me to proofread. I would do it for free just for the satisfaction of correcting the errors!   :o

I just read a sample yesterday of a self-pubbed book that had too many errors even for me. When you are only a couple of pages into the book and have already spotted several obvious errors, that's not a good sign. Those are the books that I just cross off the list. These days, considering how huge my TBR mountain is, it's almost a relief to have a reason NOT to buy a book.  ;D

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2016, 07:34:14 AM »
Free today! I really enjoyed this one.  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
Thanks cagnes, snapped it up.

I been not reading a lot of CR lately as its hard to find the ones that have a more slower burn and more romance, as suppose to gung ho lets jump each others bones and the insta lust. Readers like you guys help a lot with that.

I read a couple of fantastic ones just recently
#1 and #2 in a series

I really loved Idol the first, such a great setup. But I absolutely adored Managed. Holy moly slow burn. So much sexiness without actually going there right away, if you know what I mean. Witty and just smart written. At least I think so. This is how you do sexy CR and still have a great romance with lots of build up. Sigh. I wish they were all like that.
I had purchased the first on sale for 99 cents recently, and as I got to the end, I bought the 2nd right from my kindle I loved it so much. I read them back to back.

Both are loanable by the way

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
I read Idol a couple of weeks ago and loved it, but because I've been trying so hard not to buy new books, I was holding off on getting Managed. I'm sure I'll give in and one-click by the end of the month though!  ;) ;D

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »
This one is on sale right now for $1.99. For all my HR friends---it is by Elizabeth Hoyt writing under the pen name of Julia Harper (it looks like she has written several contemporaries under this name). I had no idea! Have not read it yet myself but for that price I will give it a try.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
This one is on sale right now for $1.99. For all my HR friends---it is by Elizabeth Hoyt writing under the pen name of Julia Harper (it looks like she has written several contemporaries under this name). I had no idea! Have not read it yet myself but for that price I will give it a try.

Ok, since I absolutely love Hoyt with historical, its certainly worth a shot to try her CR.
I didn't know either that she wrote CR, course its a different name and all that.

I finished a Nora Roberts recently. Its kind of a big thing as I think I only read one of hers all the way through and dnf on another about some paranormal sisters. Can't recall. I adore her as JD Robb, so go figure. I read "The Obsession". Which was pretty good, with some issues. My eyes glazed over at all the construction and remodeling pages and pages. And the baddie was kind of a wuss at the end and not in character, for me at least. Great dog character in it though.  ;D

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
Second in the series:

They technically can be read out of order but the characters intertwine (they are siblings/friends) so its better to start with the first, Heartbreaker.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »
Any of you heard about this Passionflix site that is taking current CR books and turning them into movies? The first will be Hollywood Dirt, which I own but haven't read yet.

They are still on the coming soon thingy but I signed up for their early discounted subscription email list. I just gave them my email so they can email when the pre-sub is live. I am not brave enough to pay for a "founder's thingy that is like a 2 year sub and has some other perks. I have to see how that turns out yet. They have a few in production and Brenda Jackson is also up at some point with a series. Looks to be only CR so far. I hope this works out as there isn't really anything else out there for streaming like it.

I don't count Hallmark stuff in this as they tend to be a tad too "homey" for my taste, if you know what I mean. Although I do watch some of them for lack of any other romance movies. There is also Pixel via youtube that is cheap and they make movies kind like Hallmark, maybe not quite as homey.

But this is neat as its based on actual books and known authors. I really hope they do a good job.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2017, 04:43:03 AM »
That sounds quite interesting - but I'm not ready to necessarily shell out any money in advance. Maybe if it looked like they'd have a movie a month - but that would be a pretty ambitious schedule.

This begs the question - what (romance) book - contemporary or otherwise - would you most like to see on screen?

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »
It sounds interesting, but I tend not to watch TV or movies much - takes too much time away from my books!  ;D

You should read Hollywood Dirt. It was really good. Very grumpy hero and a heroine who doesn't put up with his nonsense. Good banter. It had a similar feel to Act Like It by Lucy Parker if you read that one. I would rate both of them 4.5 stars.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
I did read "act like it" and I loved it. I have Hollywood Dirt somewhere in my next to read collection. Its just that I keep adding books to that collection.

I like to watch some good romance movies once in a while. I don't really watch a lot of shows anymore, most of the stuff being made now is not for me anyway. So I am just exited to see if this thing can be something. So I signed up for prenotification. Wont cost anything until I actually sign up for the monthly streaming fee. So there is time to see how it turns out first.

I'd love to see some other subgenres, but I don't expect them to make anything other than CR or RS. Historical, PNR, SFR, all those just cost too much money as special effects are needed, costumes, etc. With contempo stuff all the money can go into the scenes, actors, places. I also think that overall CR is more popular with the masses than other subgenres.

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »

1.99 reg 7.99

Offline BiancaSommerland

• Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Im-No-Angel
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »
I recently went through every novel I could find by Santino Hassell. Love his writing style and he has some books with Megan Erickson which are awesome as well.

Just finished this one:

Not loving having to wait for the next! lol

Step up to The Edge
Bianca Sommerland | website | twitter | facebook

Offline Tristan Cruz

• Kings to you...
    • View Profile
    • Dream Digital Images
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »
This thread is the exact genre I write in. Romance, Mystery, Suspense, Contemporary.

Tristan Cruz | Dream Digital Images

Offline AlexLMichaels

• Books and opinions
    • View Profile
    • Alex L. Michaels Romance
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »
We romance fans have a mega thread for historical romance and we have one for PNR and UF. I think we need one for
contemporary romance which I think would include romantic suspense.

I just heart from a reader in the HR thread that Grace Burrowes came out with a CR. She has only written HR so far as far as I know and has been pretty prolific. Curious how switching genres like that will go with her hard core fans.

I am always looking for good contemorary romance as it is the subgenre of romance I have the most issues with finding interesting stuff. Not sure why that is. So bring them on.  ;D

Okay so, these are absolute best:
Real by Katy Evans
Knight by Kristen Ashley
Rules of Entanglement by Gina L. Maxwell.

In fact, just about anything from Kristen Ashley.  :)
Alex L. Michaels | Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Pinterest

Offline Tristan Cruz

• Kings to you...
    • View Profile
    • Dream Digital Images
« Reply #170 on: Today at 11:50:15 AM »
I'll have to check these out.

Okay so, these are absolute best:
Real by Katy Evans
Knight by Kristen Ashley
Rules of Entanglement by Gina L. Maxwell.

In fact, just about anything from Kristen Ashley.  :)

Tristan Cruz | Dream Digital Images