Author Topic: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?  (Read 14533 times)  

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »

Julie James sounded familiar, I had to look it up. I read "Just the Sexiest Man Alive" by her and remember being a bit disappointed as there was no "payoff" at all. I don't think there was even much kissing if any at all. It was just all the build up and with a title like, expectations and all that and then nothing. Not a bit of sensuality. Nichts. Nada. Nothing. In this case if felt missing.
Fade to black can work, but for me, it didn't there.

Are all of hers that "clean"?

Definitely not! Each title in the FBI series is a little racier than the one before it. Only her earliest books are clean.  ;)

I love romantic suspense but have to confess up front that it is hard for me to read any that contain very graphic violence. Sex is one thing, but torture and brutal murders just give me nightmares.  One of my favorite RS novels is Linda Howard's "Mr. Perfect."

Enough suspense to keep you awake at night reading under the covers, but also great dialog and real humor.

I also enjoy Nancy Herkness. Not quite as heavy on suspense, but great love stories. She has a trilogy set in West Virginia that is great. In the first one the heroine is an artist recovering from a traumatic family situation who bonds with a 'whisper horse' and the hero is a very sexy Veterinarian.

And not a RS but just an unusual and lovely romance set in the Ozarks:

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »
So finally a link to that Courtney Milan I talked about earlier

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »
I have to second Westeria's suggestion of . Very sexy, funny, and scary!!! It's on my keeper shelf! I'm not a fan of all of Linda Howard's books I've read, but this one was well done.

I'll check out , Atunah!!

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »

Julie James has an FBI/US Attorney series. I've only read the first one so far but have the other ones on my list to read soon. The first one was very good and had humor as well.

I adore It Happened One Wedding. I've re-read and re-listened to that book a lot. It's become a 'comfort' read for me. :)

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
So finally a link to that Courtney Milan I talked about earlier

Oh! Thank you, thank you! Don't usually do YA but I'm going to try it because I love this author. But 400 pages!!!

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
Oh! Thank you, thank you! Don't usually do YA but I'm going to try it because I love this author. But 400 pages!!!
I don't think its 400 pages. Ebook is listed with 250 an paperback with 280. I started on the sample an then promptly had to buy the book to continue reading just now.  :P

It has 4291 locations, which seems about in line with the 280 pages of the paperback listed. 400 page books are usually more in the 6000 location range on my kindle. I basically flew through the 10 percent of the sample. But that is probably because the way its written. Love it already.

I think the heroine is 20, but to me its like a young woman having to deal with life already in her young age, rather than some teenagers. Its college so that I guess they call new adult. To me, its just life and regular contemporary romance. I moved out at 18 and started my apprenticeship at 16. Full time job from that point on, at 18 apartment rent, utilities, car payment and work. Later back to school to retrain and another trade. All by the time I was 16-24. So to me that is just being an adult. But I guess those were my days then, or maybe where I am from.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 07:15:11 AM »
I adore It Happened One Wedding. I've re-read and re-listened to that book a lot. It's become a 'comfort' read for me. :)

Good to know her other books are good as well! I hadn't tried any of her others yet but I had looked at them. Another book to add to my list....

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »
I've enjoyed the historicals I've read of Courtney Milan, but labeling this NA and seeing a comment it's written in first person makes me hesitate reading this book. So I figure I'll send a sample to my Kindle and go from there. :)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »
I've enjoyed the historicals I've read of Courtney Milan, but labeling this NA and seeing a comment it's written in first person makes me hesitate reading this book. So I figure I'll send a sample to my Kindle and go from there. :)
Yes read the sample. I am one that does not like 1st person, or even POV switches. Makes it very hard to find newly written stuff as it seems everything now is 1st person. I guess I'll thank Twilight and 50 shades for that. I can pick up a little older CR and they are not in 1st person. Maybe because of this New Adult craze everyone writes like that.

But, and here is the but, I don't even notice this in Trade Me. I can't explain the why's and what's, but as much as I normally don't like 1st person, I like reading this book. I don't go, this is in 1st person in my head like I do with many others. Its just there, in a good way. I think this is because its in the hand of a skilled writer and I don't want to strangle the person who's head I am in for the first time, if you know what I mean. ;D

So far no TSTL in sight with this heroine. Many 1st person NA have that kind of heroine and then they ask me to spend a whole book in that head.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
Only 1st Person I've ever really liked are Lisa Kleypas' Travis series, and I liked them enough to purchase the Audible versions. :D

Hopefully I can squeeze the sample in amongst my current TBR list. I can just hear those titles now... "hey no cutting in line", "hey, Reader, (s)he got in front of me". 

;)

Offline Tess St John

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Tess St. John
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
Free CR today.... It's got good reviews, but I haven't read it...

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »
Finished

and its really good. Its also loanable, so if someone here wants to read it, I'll loan it to you.

It is also on Scribd for those that have a subscription. And as someone that has a subscription, we still buy books we want to own. Its not a either or.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:54:43 PM by Atunah »

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 03:53:28 PM »
Finished

and its really good. Its also loanable, so if someone here wants to read it, I'll loan it to you.

I'd love to borrow it!  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
I'd love to borrow it!  :)
I could have sworn I had your email, but location of such is eluding me. Send me a pm and I'll end out the loan right away. Hope you like it  8)

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »
Pm sent!  Thanks, looking forward to reading it!  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »
I am the person who mentioned loving Grace Burrowes new contemporary romance:

The heroine has a lot of emotional scars but nonetheless is a kick-ass attorney (even though she struggles with feelings of insecurity in her personal life) and the hero is a beta sort of guy, a single father and so warm, loving, and hunky that I fell in love with him myself instantly. There is some element of suspense thrown in as well although it is not difficult to guess who the bad guy is but reading the story unfold did keep me on the edge of my seat. One of Burrowes greatest elements in her historicals is the witty dialogue and that is true in her first contemporary as well. I loved so many of these characters and am looking forward to the next two books in this new trilogy.

I didn't like this book for a couple of reasons... the Maryland county where the story takes place doesn't exist. Yeah I know it's fiction, but please authors don't throw me out of the story that way.  And without getting spoilery, part of the ending was just too Cinderealla'ish for me!

However.

Yes read the sample. I am one that does not like 1st person, or even POV switches. Makes it very hard to find newly written stuff as it seems everything now is 1st person. I guess I'll thank Twilight and 50 shades for that. I can pick up a little older CR and they are not in 1st person. Maybe because of this New Adult craze everyone writes like that.

But, and here is the but, I don't even notice this in Trade Me. I can't explain the why's and what's, but as much as I normally don't like 1st person, I like reading this book. I don't go, this is in 1st person in my head like I do with many others. Its just there, in a good way. I think this is because its in the hand of a skilled writer and I don't want to strangle the person who's head I am in for the first time, if you know what I mean. ;D

So far no TSTL in sight with this heroine. Many 1st person NA have that kind of heroine and then they ask me to spend a whole book in that head.

I really liked Courtney's new book and I didn't think I would. Most NA seem so long ago to me (OK, I'm old), but this one did not, probably because the characters weren't acting young, they seemed to have experienced a lot of life in their own way. The 1st person perspective switches were done well, also. I'm so done with billionaires, but Blake seemed more realistic than most. I also really enjoyed his relationship with his father. Looking forward to the next book in the series... it sounds rather intriguing!

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 10:47:04 AM »

I really liked Courtney's new book and I didn't think I would. Most NA seem so long ago to me (OK, I'm old), but this one did not, probably because the characters weren't acting young, they seemed to have experienced a lot of life in their own way. The 1st person perspective switches were done well, also. I'm so done with billionaires, but Blake seemed more realistic than most. I also really enjoyed his relationship with his father. Looking forward to the next book in the series... it sounds rather intriguing!
I am with you on that. Many NA characters just act way to immature to me. I just can't relate to that much at all since at that age I was already having adult responsibilities, like most of the people I grew up with.
So I liked that these characters had a more interesting life than they often tend to have in NA.

There is a sale. This is the first in a series I call romantic suspense with a twist. Or paranormal romantic suspense. Not in the sense of vampires or weres or anything like that. Its just a small part of it so far.
I liked this a lot, fast paced and steamy.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
Just posting so that I can get updates as people read things :)

Krista D. Ball

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »
These are my latest contemporary romance reads. Finished & enjoyed it.

Just finished . SEP is one of my all time favorite CR authors & I was worried for a moment that this would be the 1st book by her that I wasn't crazy about. It started off a bit slow & weird, but got much better & I ended up really liking it!

Recently read these two & so far and I adore this series! Looks like I may have found another favorite CR author! 

Offline A.G. Richards

• England
  • Paranormal romance & more
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
There are some interesting recommendations here ... thank you all.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
I had the same opinion of Heroes Are My Weakness, it grew on me as I read it, except for the fact that the puppets reminded me of other "subcharacters", Molly's animal friends in This Heart of Mine, all of Ethan's celebrity "God" voices in his head in whatever that book was called with he and Kristy as a secondary romance. LOL I read waaaay too much! (I know there's a lot of controversy about THoM... but it's my favorite SEP book).

I've just finished the second book by Claudia Connor in the McKinney brothers series. Much darker than the first book, but still an extremely good read from a new author. Looking forward to more in the series.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »
A freebie

This one I have't haven't read yet, I own it and I paid for it when it was on sale. This author and series gets consistent great reviews from my reader friends. And the books have a couple in each book so beside the other POV one to this one, they are all standalones

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:55:07 AM by Atunah »

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
A freebie

This one I have't haven't read yet, I own it and I paid for it when it was on sale. This author and series gets consistent great reviews from my reader friends. And the books have a couple in each book so beside the other POV one to this one, they are all standalones

Thanks for posting, that's one that I plan to read! :)  I've read 3 of her books so far & really liked them.

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:19 AM »
I had the same opinion of Heroes Are My Weakness, it grew on me as I read it, except for the fact that the puppets reminded me of other "subcharacters", Molly's animal friends in This Heart of Mine, all of Ethan's celebrity "God" voices in his head in whatever that book was called with he and Kristy as a secondary romance. LOL I read waaaay too much! (I know there's a lot of controversy about THoM... but it's my favorite SEP book).

I hadn't thought of the similarities of the sub-characters until you mentioned it... true.  I did love This Heart of Mine, but it wasn't a favorite. Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars Book 4) is one of my favorites & I believe that's the book with Ethan & Kristy.  :)

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
A Novella freebie from one of my favorite CR series!