Author Topic: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?  (Read 14011 times)  

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
Re: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
Read the new Barbara Freethy Callaway book. Over the top, predictable, and pretty much perfect. LOL I have no idea why I love this series, but I absolutely do.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »
Harpercollins seems to have some sale and there are also freebies. I just sifted out the historicals from this link to the HR thread, but there are also contempo in there
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n_1?rh=n%3A283155%2Cn%3A23%2Ck%3A%22harpercollins%22&bbn=23&sort=price-asc-rank&keywords=%22harpercollins%22&ie=UTF8&qid=1426692417

Here is all the romance free. Well free until a few pages in as its sorted by price so be careful once you hit the ones that cost money.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »
Thanks Atunah!

I'm going on vacation next month, and I've decided I want to get caught up on all of my romances in my TBR list. But then I realized I was only going on vacation for 5 days. So now I need to make decisions.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:41 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAH 5 days to read all the tbr, I am still laughing  ;D.

You can always take them all with the kindle though and then decide what you are in the mood for. Or whatever device you decide to take with you.

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
Thanks Atunah! I downloaded a bunch of the HRs & found a prequel (that I was unaware of) to a book I'm currently reading in the Governess Brides series by Christina Dodd. Don't know how I missed that book, so happy to snag it for free!

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 11:05:43 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAH 5 days to read all the tbr, I am still laughing  ;D.

You can always take them all with the kindle though and then decide what you are in the mood for. Or whatever device you decide to take with you.

LOL I thought I'd mostly caught up on all of the romances I'd bought. Then I started going through my Kobo and realized...oh...yeah...there's a lot of romance books still in there.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
A NA romance freebie that is well reviewed.

It is the first in a series but in a proper romance way. Meaning its a complete story with the 2nd being about a different couple within the same group of people.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
Been a while it looks. I finished

I loved it, it was really good. I heard it talked about among romance places as being a good NA.
As some know I have issues finding NA romance that I like. The subgenre seems to have  gone down a different rabbit hole than one I like. Its not so much the way the hero is often portrayed as a alphole, exhibit A "Beautiful Disaster", its often the lacking change of character and growth and grovel. Also often I can't stand the heroines and I have to spend a hole book in her head usually, exhibit B "Thoughtless".
So it becomes a hunt for the stuff I like. This I really liked. I also liked the Sara Bowen one I read, The year we fell.

For me, I am at the point where I mostly ignore the NA tag. I just call them contemporary romances with sometimes a bit younger characters. Although they are often the regular contemporary age, so I just don't know. Its why I put them on both shelves usually, NA and CR. Those NA like Beautiful disaster and such, I usually only put on NA.

I have a preorder coming out tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it. 4th in a series. I had this on pre-order since April 2014  :o
Love this series. Rockstars, yummy rockstars. Contemporary romance. Although some seem to file them as NA, not me, I don't see NA here.
So Deep is out tomorrow

First in the series is

which I bought and read before it was published by Mcmillan. Mine has the old cover, or it might update to this new yummy one if I loaded the book back on my kindle, haven't tried.

Highly recommend this series.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:01:10 PM by Atunah »

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations Atunah! Added those to my tbr pile.  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline SandiintheSun

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2015, 08:41:32 PM »
Hi...I'm new to this thread. I mostly read New Adult and Contemporary so this was an exciting thread to find. I am so excited about all these recommendations I have to fill up my kindle!

Has anyone read the Night Owl series by M.Pierce? That series is great and the final book just came out: http://amzn.com/B00HY070CU

I've also been reading some dark romance (it takes a stomach) by Vanessa Waltz, but I've enjoyed it. Has anyone read anything by her?

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 08:10:19 AM »
So I just finished    Rock star heroes aren't usually my thing and I often avoid books written in the first person, but this is the first title in the Stage Dive series that Atunah highly recommended so I gave it a try. Loved it! Just downloaded the second one because I am dying to read Mal's story.

Thank you Atunah! I can honestly say I never would have found this author on my own. And the hunk on the cover almost made me want to keep flashing back to him on my kindle  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »
 ;D Yay, so glad you loved it. I haven't gotten around reading Deep yet. I think the first is still my absolute favorite, although I really liked the other 2 I read also.

Mal is totally nuts  ;D. You'll see. Lead is also really good as its deals with a bit more heavier stuff on the rockstar side.

That new cover really is great. I bought and read the book when the cover was this

It was self published when I read it. I can't for the life of me though remember now who put it in front of my eyeballs. According to my review, I actually was able to form words to write one, I saw my reader friends "yakking" about it all the time. So it must have been on my goodreads feed and/or on amazon romance forum.
Funny thing is when I look at my goodreads friends and those I follow, the ratings are all over the place, including some DNF's  ;D. Just shows that even if you have reader friends that like the same stuff you do, it still doesn't mean we'll agree on everything.

So I am glad you liked this, cause it would have been totally ok if you didn't.

Offline Coleen Kwan

• View Profile
    • Coleen Kwan
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »
I have been glomming on Sarina Bowen's Ivy Years series. I recently read her adult contemporary Coming In From The Cold

which I enjoyed, but not as much as her Ivy Years books mainly because the hero is often unlikeable.
Coleen Kwan | www.coleenkwan.com

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I just finished

I really think it is one of the best things she's written in a long while. The romance is sweet, but it is also a great character study. The hero is a little bit beta but just to die for, and the heroine is so spunky you just want to cheer for her. The supporting characters (family members) are great too. Setting is a small town in the smoky mountains in Tennessee. There was a bit of suspense although it wasn't that hard to guess who the bad guy was---I held my breath anyway because I didn't really know what he would do next. It was the dialog and relationships that made this one so special. I am pretty sure it is a freestanding novel but wish the author would turn it into a series (I can't believe I'm saying this!) because I'd like the heroine's brother Forrest to have his own HEA.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:57 AM »
I have a great freebie today. I floved this book. I think they call this NA, which is that thing I have such issues with finding good stuff nowadays. So for me, I just call them contemporary romance with college age characters. This has no whiny heroine jumping from one to the other guy in a triangle, it has no hero that loves to beat everyone that looks at the girl to a pulp. No alphole. I thought this was really well done. Heroine a former hockey player that had a bad accident and her disability is not overlooked, it is woven into the story I thought well done. Lots of feels.
Its the first in a series, each book about different characters.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Freebie

This author has another series with Montlake. This is the second in a different series. After Math is the first, seems to be NA romance.

And this one on sale for 1.99

It won book of the year RT awards. I haven't read it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:19:19 AM by Atunah »

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
I am a big fan of Sherry Thomas's historical romances--particularly the trilogy about the Fitzhugh family. But I put off reading her first contemporary story when it was released a while ago because I didn't want to be disappointed and shifting to current day can be tricky for any author. I like my favorite writers to stay inside my comfort zone  :).

I can't believe I waited so long to give it a try. The plot is totally improbable but once you suspend disbelief this is such a great story. The characters are not perfect--they have human flaws--but they are really, really likeable and you find yourself wanting so much for them to find their HEA. Like in her historicals, the dialog is one of the best parts. Some of the exchanges just had me laughing out loud. And just FYI the Hero is the great-great grandson of a pair who were featured in one of her earliest historicals:

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »
I am a big fan of Sherry Thomas's historical romances--particularly the trilogy about the Fitzhugh family. But I put off reading her first contemporary story when it was released a while ago because I didn't want to be disappointed and shifting to current day can be tricky for any author. I like my favorite writers to stay inside my comfort zone  :).

I can't believe I waited so long to give it a try. The plot is totally improbable but once you suspend disbelief this is such a great story. The characters are not perfect--they have human flaws--but they are really, really likeable and you find yourself wanting so much for them to find their HEA. Like in her historicals, the dialog is one of the best parts. Some of the exchanges just had me laughing out loud. And just FYI the Hero is the great-great grandson of a pair who were featured in one of her earliest historicals:

I forgot to say that it is also a very steamy read! Beautifully done, but don't pick this one up unless you don't mind getting your fingers burned!!!

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »

Cool!  I have Private Arrangements for some reason and I've got a couple of her historicals on my list, too (from Overdrive) so I'll have to get around to this new one.  Thanks!

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2015, 06:22:18 AM »
Finished

and its really good. Its also loanable, so if someone here wants to read it, I'll loan it to you.

It is also on Scribd for those that have a subscription. And as someone that has a subscription, we still buy books we want to own. Its not a either or.

So this one finally made it to the top of my TBR pile. I kept putting it off because I'm not into YA and don't usually enjoy first person stories. But I love Courtney Milan's historicals and I trust Atunah, so.....

It is going on my keeper shelf (my metaphorical kindle cyber keeper shelf). A really lovely romance and great characters. Not so sure I'm interested in Maria's story which comes next, but I definitely want to read the third volume with more about Tina and Blake. I adored Tina's little Chinese activist mom who prided herself on creating the world's ugliest cakes for Walmart and would pay for immmigration lawyers for her neighbors before paying her own electricity bills. She was a hoot! And Adam, Blake's dad, was quite a character too. The greatest compliment I can give this book is to admit I wish I didn't have to wait for the next two--I want to read more about these families right now  :)

I owe you one, Atunah. I might not have picked this one up if you hadn't mentioned how much you liked it.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
  • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
    • View Profile
    • Bear Mountain Books
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
Romantic suspense isn't something I read often, but I won two paperback books by Sandy Parks from fb.  Repossessed and ... well, that's the first in the series and since I am reading it, I remember the name.  I blogged the books last week and noticed the ebook for it is on sale for 99 cents.  For me, what makes the romantic suspense is the mystery factor and whether or not the heroine has an interesting job/role.  In Repossessed, the main is a pilot and there's a good mystery thread running along.   My only complaint is there are multiple POV and I'm not a fan of such.  Anyway, so far so good.

Offline lmroth12

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2015, 03:03:20 PM »
I am not into Contemporary Romance but love Romantic Suspense. My faves, however, are still Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney. They combined realistic heroines (read that as: they would never be mistaken for super models) with lovers who had LOTS of character flaws, and who didn't show up to rescue the heroine from her problems. Plus, the mysteries required that you pay attention carefully while reading, and frequently there were family situations to be resolved in the midst of all the other activity. Never feeling like a formula, never making you feel like you wandered into a fantasy world of "perfection", and sometimes leaving you with tears in your eyes or a lump in your throat, as well as a chuckle or two along the way.  :)

L. M. Roth | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2015, 05:35:03 AM »
I liked Victory Holt and Phyllis Whitney as well. . . . .also Mary Stewart . . . . totally agree with your assessment that they're romantic without being sappy and predictable and the 'mystery' was always pretty well crafted . . .complex without being over done.  Plus they women never acted like the too-stupid-to-live sorts you see so much of . . . for their day, they were adventurous but without being overly 'feminist'. Much like a grown up Nancy Drew who'd learned to be careful about things. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline kai_andersen

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2015, 04:59:58 AM »
That link goes right to the kindle version. Are you in the US? Is it not available to your region?

It does look good. Don't think I read Robarts before, but she keeps popping up for RS.

If you like Karen Robards, you should check out her Dr. Charlotte Stone series (currently up to #3). It's a mix of suspense and paranormal, and there are central characters running through the entire series, aside from Charlotte. I'm totally hung up on this series due to Charlotte's romance with this sexy ghost. Yeah, that gets me every time. LOL Should be interesting to see how the author resolves that and gives them a good ending.

Offline kai_andersen

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2015, 05:10:26 AM »
As some know I have issues finding NA romance that I like. The subgenre seems to have  gone down a different rabbit hole than one I like. Its not so much the way the hero is often portrayed as a alphole, exhibit A "Beautiful Disaster", its often the lacking change of character and growth and grovel. Also often I can't stand the heroines and I have to spend a hole book in her head usually, exhibit B "Thoughtless".

I totally understand what you mean. I avoid such NA's as well, and for a time, I didn't think much of the genre as a whole. Then I came upon this book -- Make It Count by Megan Erickson -- and it's nice!! Surprise! The hero isn't the dark damaged kind (which I hate); he's a geek -- that's totally cool. And the characters are normal, college kids going through the problems of people that age. Good book. But the sequel didn't quite tickle my fancy, and I hadn't read the 3rd yet.

Another book -- Isn't She Lovely by Lauren Layne. Love it, too.

You might want to check them out.

Oh, and I've heard a lot of good things about The Deal too. It's on my TBR.  :D