Author Topic: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?  (Read 14535 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Contemporary Romance and/or Romantic Suspense fan?
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:47 AM »
Thanks Kai for your suggestions. I'll check them out.

We all need to pull out a tape measure and see who's TBR is the biggest.  :P

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2015, 07:39:40 AM »

We all need to pull out a tape measure and see who's TBR is the biggest.  :P

Mine's got issues... I keep rereading old favorites!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
I manage my TBR list by reading a few . . . . and then buying a half dozen more as a reward. ;D :P ;D :P

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
I manage my TBR list by reading a few . . . . and then buying a half dozen more as a reward. ;D :P ;D :P
Ah, the spoiling of the TBR method. Just give it more, even if it didn't ask for it.  8)

I kept thinking of a way to manage my TBR, or how to get to book that been on it for a while and so on. Then I thought, why bother. Does it really matter? I mean as long as I get to read books I enjoy its all good. If someone here suggest a book and I check it out and I like it, its all good. Its not like the other books on the TBR are getting mold on it. They'll still be there. TBR is really a wishful thinking of immortality at this point for me. With the rate I am adding to it, compared to what I am taking out of it, there is no realistic change I'll ever empty it in my puny human lifespan. And wouldn't it be really sad to have an empty TBR list anyway.

Online readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »
Those TBR critters seem to have insatiable appetites!

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
So....I just finished reading the Sweet Water trilogy by Lisa Clark O'Neill. I read the first one in a single day--couldn't put it down. Heroine has decided to open a book store with her best friend in the small town where they both grew up, and hero is a reclusive author who has just moved in next door. These books are romantic suspense--enough suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat but not enough to scare you witless--and heavy on the romance. All the characters (some really great secondary characters) are the kind it would be fun to know in real life--lots of witty conversations and humorous moments along with the suspense. Even some laugh out loud funny moments that reminded me of the kind of humor found in the Charley Davidson books (Atunah I think you would like this author). Anyway I got so sucked in that I had to immediately download the rest of the trilogy and find out how my other favorite characters found their HEA. Highly recommended.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
My ear perked up.  ;D

Putting it on a wishlist for now for later. I blew my book budget for the moment.  8)

Sounds really good though.

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
My ear perked up.  ;D

Putting it on a wishlist for now for later. I blew my book budget for the moment.  8)

Sounds really good though.

I think it can be loaned...are you interested? I've never tried that before so you might have to give me directions.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
I think it can be loaned...are you interested? I've never tried that before so you might have to give me directions.
I'd be interested. I just finished a book and was waffling what to read next. I'll pm you my email. That is all you need. You go to the book page and on the top it should say loan to someone, or such phrasing. And along the way you'll put in my email and I'll get a notice. I have 7 days to claim and when I do, it goes poof from your kindle for 14 days. Then you get it back. Or I can return it early to you when I finish.

THank you, that is sweet to offer.  :-*

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
I'd be interested. I just finished a book and was waffling what to read next. I'll pm you my email. That is all you need. You go to the book page and on the top it should say loan to someone, or such phrasing. And along the way you'll put in my email and I'll get a notice. I have 7 days to claim and when I do, it goes poof from your kindle for 14 days. Then you get it back. Or I can return it early to you when I finish.

THank you, that is sweet to offer.  :-*

Done! Hope you enjoy.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
Thanks Wisteria. I just started and I am really liking the tone of it. I am only 5 percent in and I am already smiling a lot, so that's a good sign. I think I'll like this kind of humor.  ;D

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »
So....I just finished reading the Sweet Water trilogy by Lisa Clark O'Neill. I read the first one in a single day--couldn't put it down. Heroine has decided to open a book store with her best friend in the small town where they both grew up, and hero is a reclusive author who has just moved in next door. These books are romantic suspense--enough suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat but not enough to scare you witless--and heavy on the romance. All the characters (some really great secondary characters) are the kind it would be fun to know in real life--lots of witty conversations and humorous moments along with the suspense. Even some laugh out loud funny moments that reminded me of the kind of humor found in the Charley Davidson books (Atunah I think you would like this author). Anyway I got so sucked in that I had to immediately download the rest of the trilogy and find out how my other favorite characters found their HEA. Highly recommended.

Sounds interesting, I'll add them to my tbr pile. Thanks!

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Jen200

• OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »
I have added them to my wish list.  I noticed the second one is in KU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2015, 07:55:27 PM »
I have added them to my wish list.  I noticed the second one is in KU.

Oh it is, only the second, that is bizarre. If I like the first, at least I know where to find the second.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01:03 AM »
This Sweetwater trilogy sounds like a good one. It sounds like just the kind of books I like. I've already sent myself a sample of the first one. I have KU trial for the next month so that may work out for the second one. I love recommendations!

Offline Jen200

• OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »

I just finished the first book.  I loved it.  I am starting the second one now.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »
I just finished

Thanks again Wisteria for loaning it to me. I enjoyed it very much. I loved the humor in it and the how I felt I was there in that community. Great sense of environment. And all the characters including all the side characters came alive.

Looking forward reading the next in the series. Its in KU, the second one only as I can see. But handy for me.  ;D

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2015, 04:16:01 AM »
I just finished

Thanks again Wisteria for loaning it to me. I enjoyed it very much. I loved the humor in it and the how I felt I was there in that community. Great sense of environment. And all the characters including all the side characters came alive.

Looking forward reading the next in the series. Its in KU, the second one only as I can see. But handy for me.  ;D

Glad you enjoyed it too  :D

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »
I have great news for anyone who is a fan of the early romantic suspense novels of Mary Stewart. I have been waiting in vain for any of her titles to appear in kindle format--I would dearly love to reread them but can't quite bring myself to attempt reading my yellowed old paperbacks. I have just noticed that three of her early titles are now available for kindle, published by the Hatchette Group. I hope this means more will be coming soon! The three that have been kindlelized so far are:

I am such a happy camper!!!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
Cool!  I was pretty much raised on Mary Stewart!  Though, those aren't the covers I remember. ::)

My favorites were My Brother Michael and the one that was set on the island of Corfu . . . . blanking on the title right now.

I think I'm going to splurge on these three, though, and have a re-read. <hums happily>

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »
Different covers, for sure. I have a couple of falling apart pbacks upstairs, My Brother Michael, and Touch Not the Cat.

Offline A.G. Richards

• England
  • Paranormal romance & more
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2015, 03:36:58 PM »
This Sweetwater trilogy sounds like a good one. It sounds like just the kind of books I like. I've already sent myself a sample of the first one. I have KU trial for the next month so that may work out for the second one. I love recommendations!

You took the words right out of my mouth, KG!

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
Curiouser and curiouser.....I checked Mary Stewart titles to see if any more have been converted to kindle yet and behold! Now the three titles that were listed are no longer even available. That is really disappointing.

Offline William Woodall

• Arkansas/Texas
  • www.williamwoodall.org
    • View Profile
    • Official Author's Home Page
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
I like love stories, but I have a hard time finding really good ones.

I noticed some of you have complained about the high price of ebooks, and I couldn't agree more.  I get most of my reading material from Smashwords, which has grown to be a huge site for indie books.  Some of those are wonderful and others not-so-wonderful, of course, but if you want a plentiful source of free and cheap books then it's a hard site to beat.  Not to mention, prices are the same worldwide.

The site is at www.smashwords.com, for those of you who are interested in checking it out.
, , , ,----, , , ----, , , ,

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser.....I checked Mary Stewart titles to see if any more have been converted to kindle yet and behold! Now the three titles that were listed are no longer even available. That is really disappointing.
I just noticed that too. I never read a Mary Stewart so I was looking forward and send a sample to my kindle. Now they are gone. I looked at it seems like publishers changed. No clue though why there wouldn't be a ebook. I can't read paper anymore so either I am going to lose out or the publisher is. Oh well

As I was sitting there staring at my kindle what to read next, I picked up a CR. I had this one in my archive for a while, I bought it with the settlement money some of us got. I am like 38% in and holy moly. This is how you do a romance, without bang wham mam right off the start. I mean there is more tension here with all the clothes on, than I have seen in a lot of new romances. Wowser. That is how you do it. The emotion is there, the everything. I have no words. A doctor decides to go onto a reservation to practice for 2 years. There she meets chaos and, Rebel. I can't even.

:-X

So so good.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac