KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited v Kindle Owners' Lending Library  (Read 1530 times)  

Offline '

• View Profile
Kindle Unlimited v Kindle Owners' Lending Library
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
On July 18th, 2014, I received the following email from Amazon KDP:

Hello,

Today we are excited to introduce Kindle Unlimited-a new subscription service for readers in the U.S. and a new revenue opportunity for authors enrolled in KDP Select. Customers will be able to read as many books as they want from a library of over 600,000 titles while subscribed to Kindle Unlimited. All books enrolled in KDP Select with U.S. rights will be automatically included in Kindle Unlimited.

KDP Select authors and publishers will earn a share of the KDP Select global fund each time a customer accesses their book from Kindle Unlimited and reads more than 10% of their book-about the length of reading the free sample available in Kindle books-as opposed to a payout when the book is simply downloaded. Only the first time a customer reads a book past 10% will be counted.

KDP Select books will also continue to be enrolled in the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL) available to Amazon Prime customers in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, and Japan where authors will continue to earn a share of the KDP Select global fund when their book is borrowed. KOLL borrows will continue to be counted when a book is initially downloaded.

For July, we've added $800,000 to the fund, bringing the July fund amount to $2 million.

Learn more about Kindle Unlimited. Visit your Bookshelf to enroll your titles in KDP Select, and click on "Manage Benefits" to get started.

Best regards,
The Kindle Direct Publishing Team

This tells me that I'm automatically enrolled into KOLL and KU. The former is seen as a good thing, the latter as a bad thing. Apparently, Amazon is not mistreating indie authors when they receive a share of the global fund for a borrow by a Prime Subscription holder, but is mistreating authors when they receive a share of the global fund for a borrow by a KU Subscriber. Or indie authors are abusing KDP Select if they upload short stories that can be borrowed in KU, but they are not abusing the program if the book is borrowed in KOLL. I don't see the difference.  Prime customers are only allowed twelve free books/year. KU subscribers can download an unlimited number of books/short stories, many of which will probably remain unread, whereas Prime customers are likely to read all twelve books. What am I missing? Is it all about the 10% that has to be read in KU?

BTW, I see the 10% as a protection for Amazon and not as an attack on authors who only write full-length novels.

Offline '

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Unlimited v Kindle Owners' Lending Library
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:20:23 AM »
Was the question too difficult? I'll simplify. Why is it okay to receive a share from a global fund for KOLL but not for KU?

Offline '

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:32:52 AM »
Over 100 views and still no answer.

Offline KVictoriaChase

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:42:40 AM »
Um, I thought you do receive a share of the global fund when you're enrolled in KU.
https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=AA9BSAGNO1YJH
"Once a customer reads more than 10% of your book, or a Kindle Owners' Lending Library customer downloads your book, you'll receive a share of the KDP Select Global Fund."

Secondly, you can see if you're enrolled in KU by checking the "Bookshelf" page in KDP. If you're in Select, you're in KU.

There are tons of threads on this subject. Just search kboards. :-)

Offline '

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Victoria! I've read a great deal on the 'net about KU and authors responses to the program. I was interested to know why there had been a sudden outcry against Amazon over KU when KOLL was accepted without question. On kboards, Holly Ward wrote:

This model needs to be changed for it to work. Authors shouldn't be paid lottery style. For this system to work we need a flat rate for borrows, borrowed or not borrowed (not this 10% crap), and it needs to be win win for the reader AND the writer. <-- That is the crux of the matter.

With KU, the number of borrows has increased. This has affected the income of some indie authors. They want to change it. That I understand. I don't understand why Amazon is being attacked for introducing a program that authors can opt out of. I even read that authors can opt out of Select if they write to Amazon after the three-day period allowed for opting out. If sales are being badly affected, it would seem that authors can take matters into their own hands instead of airing their grievances on a public forum.

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:23:21 AM »
With KU, the number of borrows has increased. This has affected the income of some indie authors. They want to change it. That I understand. I don't understand why Amazon is being attacked for introducing a program that authors can opt out of. I even read that authors can opt out of Select if they write to Amazon after the three-day period allowed for opting out. If sales are being badly affected, it would seem that authors can take matters into their own hands instead of airing their grievances on a public forum.

Erm, why would people not want to know that if they enroll in KU, they have a chance of losing a substantial amount of income? I would think that would be the number one thing people would like to know.

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:48 AM »
Few are responding to you Shelagh because your initial post and subsequent comments make it sound like you are spoiling for a fight and most of us in kboards have been there and done that where KU is concerned.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
Because with KOLL, the payout was much bigger per borrow.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »
Few are responding to you Shelagh because your initial post and subsequent comments make it sound like you are spoiling for a fight and most of us in kboards have been there and done that where KU is concerned.

Yep.

Alex A. King | Website

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:40:38 AM »
Few are responding to you Shelagh because your initial post and subsequent comments make it sound like you are spoiling for a fight.

Bingo.

Offline '

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 11:10:48 AM »
Because with KOLL, the payout was much bigger per borrow.

Ah, now that makes sense. KU diluted the payout, right?

Offline '

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16:35 PM »
Erm, why would people not want to know that if they enroll in KU, they have a chance of losing a substantial amount of income? I would think that would be the number one thing people would like to know.

Yes they would want to know. They would also want to know about the myths that have circulated:

https://chrismcmullen.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/kindle-unlimited-myths/

Offline '

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 03:08:12 AM »
It's interesting zooming around the 'net via Google, picking up comments here and there. One comment stated that readers were using KU during the trial period to browse through books they had considered buying but were unsure about. The books they downloaded would disappear at the end of the trial period, but by then, the readers had decided on the books they wanted to buy and reduced the number of returns they would have made normally. Seems like a win-win for readers and authors!

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 07:31:34 AM »
As a reader, I love the hell out of KU. I've read a lot of books I probably wouldn't have bought, and I've gone on to buy some books I didn't think I'd buy because the writer had it in KU and gave me the means to read more than a sample. When I'm able to publish, I'll use KU strategically and see how it goes.

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
Few are responding to you Shelagh because your initial post and subsequent comments make it sound like you are spoiling for a fight.

There have been a lot of threads about KU over here lately, and most of them have ended up in a "peaceful fight", where the same conclusions have been drawn over and over again:

1- It's opt out, indeed, so there's no need to play Amazon's advocate or Amazon's foe on it, just try it out and see if it works for you. Else drop it. It will work for certain people/genre and not for others
2- It's too early to say whether the model is fair or not, nor for what kind of books it works. All we can make is assumptions and test those.
3- It's not the last "surprise" Amazon will come up with. And like with any of those, it's just a matter of constantly adapting and seeing how you can make it work to your advantage. Amazon are not going to change how it works even if there's a global uprising on Kboards You, however, can change how you publish and market in order to take advantage from their new programs

So I think your battle has already been fought  :)

Offline '

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »
There have been a lot of threads about KU over here lately, and most of them have ended up in a "peaceful fight", where the same conclusions have been drawn over and over again ...

... and indie authors are now deciding what's best for their marketing needs. Since KDP Select was set up, lots of authors have opted in and out of the Select program for different reasons. Someone used the academic phrase "publish or perish" with respect to self-publishing. I think "adapt or perish" would be more appropriate!