KB Featured

by

$
Kindle Edition published 2016-12-10
Bestseller ranking: 289232

Product Description
Where is Adam?

Julie Raynes’ husband has been missing for six months. Devastated and confused, she refuses to believe that he would leave her voluntarily, though her best friend thinks differently. However, her Aunt Alice, a psychic, tells her Adam has been murdered, and when she reveals how she knows this, any hope that Adam is still alive, dissipates.

The police are also beginning to believe that Adam Raynes was murdered. And Julie is their prime suspect. Her life in ruins, Julie vows to hunt down whoever is responsible for Adam’s murder and make them pay for their crime.

In the meantime, David Gray, a young man who was pulled from a lake by a fisherman when he was 9 years old, wakens from a coma after nearly two decades. Unknown to Julie, Adam and David share a dark connection, a darkness that threatens to devour both of them, in a terrifying race with death.

Author Topic: Indie Anthology "Stories on the Go #2" (2015)  (Read 48796 times)  

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
  • Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
Indie Anthology "Stories on the Go #2" (2015)
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
How To Submit Your Story

All indies can submit a story, provided they have published at least one book independently.

Lurking, non-member authors and friends of friends are equally welcome.

1. Stories must be a thousand words or less. They don't need to be original or exclusive.
1.1. They need to be stories, i.e. they need to have a beginning, a middle and an ending. Don't use an excerpt from one of your books.

2. Add the following formula in the same mail as your story:
I, [Your Name], affirm that I am granting a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual license to use the donated content as part of the anthology "Stories on the Go #2," edited by Andrew Ashling. Once the anthology is published I promise to promote it to the best of my ability through my author website and/or social media account(s).

3. Add a short bio/promo of 150 words or less.
  • You must include a link to your author's website. You get one link and one link only (1). No email addresses, please. All calls to action, e.g. to subscribe to your mailing list or like you -- of course we do -- can be made on the landing page of your site.
  • Titles of books, magazines and so on should be italicized in the way explained in point 8 below.

4. Send your stories to indanth@gmail.com, and mention Anthology 2015 (and nothing else) in the subject line.
  • You can copy/paste your story and bio/promo in the email itself or as an attachment.
  • Don't forget to add the title, your pen name, the genre of your story, and your author website.
  • No Amazon author page. See FAQ below.
  • Don't format author name, title and genre. This will be done with CSS in the formatting stage.
  • Don't put your title in all caps. Use proper title capitalization. If in doubt use: http://capitalizemytitle.com/ (option Title Case).

5. Have your story beta read BEFORE sending it in.

6. Have your story and your bio/promo proofread by a second pair of eyes (at least) BEFORE sending it in.

7. Use curly/fancy single and double quotes.

8. Enclose italic words, clauses or sentences by either asterisks or underscores. E.g. "Did _he_ say that?" or "Did *he* say that?" Don't forget to italicize book and series titles in your bio/promo.

9. Same for bold, but either two asterisks or two underscores. (Don't use this in your bio/promo)

10. Same for bold italic, but either three asterisks or three underscores. (Don't use this in your bio/promo)
For the formatting I need to get rid of all kinds of code. I copy/paste your story into a simple text program. These retain only ASCII characters which means italics and bold are lost. The asterisks and underscores are markdown notation (not code, but ASCII characters) and there are several conversion programs and apps to render it into valid HTML. You can find more information here or here.
Reddit a.o. uses markdown.

Important:

Items 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 go for both your story and your bio/promo.

FAQ

What is the deadline?

End March/ begin April. We're aiming for 101 (or 102 stories). You can verify how many there are already by going to the last post and work your way up. I try to regularly give an overview of stories and authors.

I'm planning to format the book as the stories come in and get proofread by our team. So I'd prefer you don't wait until the last possible moment to send in your story. You needn't pressure yourself, but don't wait sending it in when you feel it's ready.

There is a chance, though I think it's remote, we'd have to put a stop to submissions because there are too many and the ebook would become unmanageable.

Why can't I use my Amazon author page?

Because Apple, B&N, Kobo and a few others don't like links that go to the competition.

So you have to use your own author website. If you don't have one yet, it's easy to take a WordPress, Weebly, Blogger or some other free account. You only need an email address and your website will be up and running in five minutes or less.

You can put links to Amazon and whatever you like (calls to action, links to social media, covers of your books) on the landing page.

Older entries in this post

Although it's early days yet, some people seem to like the idea of a second edition.

As you will remember we only got our second wind for the first edition half 2014, and we published half December.

If we start organizing now, that means we'll have a heck of a lot more time.

* At this stage we could spout some general ideas. This will give me time to organize some things.

* Begin February we could start collecting stories. If we aim for a Back-to-School release you will have ample time to come up with something. Even more if we aim for an End-of-Year release.

Personally, I would prefer we aim for the Holidays, like we did this year (although somewhat by accident).

I also think we should keep Stories on the Go and # Very Short Stories by # Authors, if only to build on the name recognition of the first anthology. Maybe just with a "2" added. Adding the year would date us very fast.

So... suggestions, please.

Oh, and please, bookmark this thread. ;)

Thanks for your enthusiastic reactions, all.  :)

* Everyone is welcome. The only criterion is that you have at least one self-published book. That's it.
* All genres are welcome. In fact, according to the reviews of #1 readers seem to like that.
* All stories maximum thousand words. Shorter stories no problem.

Don't start submitting the actual stories just yet. One of the first days of February I'll post where and how the stories should be submitted. I changed the how just a bit. Nothing major, though.

For those who participate for the first time:

* This is strictly a cross-promotional thing and a free gift to our readers.
* Don't submit any old thing gathering dust on your hard disk. Readers who don't know you will read your story and decide whether they want to read more of your writing based on it.
* You get a little biography of maximum 300 words to present yourself and your work.
* You also get one link. Since the anthology will be distributed to several vendors this can't be an author page on one of them. A Facebook page is acceptable, but your own site is preferred. You all have one of those, haven't you?

Last year we decided that 50 stories was the strict minimum. In a pinch this will do this year as well (we're almost there in pledges), but I think readers would be disappointed if there weren't at least as many stories in #2 as in #1. More -- within reason -- is no problem.

I've thought of a more efficient workflow (on my side of things) which would enable me to keep the anthology open for new submissions for a longer period. Don't wait too long, though. Inevitably at some point the anthology will be closed for new stories. If we're going for a Holiday-release, like last year, new submissions could be accepted at least until September.

Stories on the Go 2014 thread

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:45:49 AM by Andrew Ashling »

FREE: Bonds of Hate (First book of Dark Tales) | Amazon: kindle-format | Kobo: epub | ARe: epub & mobi | B&N: epub | iTunes: iBook

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
Re: Indie Anthology "Stories on the Go #2" (2015)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
Aim for 202 authors this time?

Rue

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Zelah Meyer

• England
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »
I would definitely like to take part again.  I also agree that 'Stories on the Go 2' makes sense, as it leaves the door open to continue after the next one if you wanted to.

Offline Raquel Lyon

• England
  • Getting there slowly, one word at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Raquel Lyon
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »
Aim for 202 authors this time?

Rue
I feel Andrew's heart attack returning!  ;D

Raquel Lyon | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline Keith Rowland

• Newcastle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:01:58 PM »
Great idea, would love to take part again. I have to agree with just adding the number 2 at the end...it sort of leaves it open ended.

Keith Rowland

Online Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:21:39 PM »
Count me in again. It was fun writing for the book and even more fun reading all the creative stories.

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »
Missed last time, so I would like to participate.

I think titling it Stories on the Go was a stroke of genius, cover was terrific too.

Just adding a 2 seems a bit tame.  :P  Stories on the Run?

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
  • Relentlessly Patient
    • View Profile
    • Fiction For Every Reader
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »
Can you elaborate on what the stories are? I'd love to have Beacon (Part I) in a collection somewhere...

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline smikeo

• View Profile
    • Happily Writing
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »
I would be very happy to join this time. It sounds like tremendous fun :)

Offline hs

• SF Bay Area
    • View Profile
    • HS Writing
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
You're a more generous and courageous man than I am, Andrew!
You can count me in for Part Deux.  :D

Offline Nadia Nader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 12:50:15 PM »
I like the idea of keeping things as they are.

Maybe just add the 2 & change the color of the cover? That way if you decide to continue, we can have a whole bookshelf of the pretty cover with colors indicating different versions.

Also, if we continue with same theme (and since you mentioned back-to-school) we did 101, so we can do 102 this year, 103, next year etc. Of course it all depends on submissions.

Nadia Nader | blog | twitter | newsletter

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »
Can you elaborate on what the stories are? I'd love to have Beacon (Part I) in a collection somewhere...

You can find the original thread here somewhere, but it was basically flash fiction stories by indie writers. We were going to do a theme originally, but I think most stories came in after the re-ignition and were just 1K words or less.

Count me in for a second volume. I enjoyed being involved with the first, and I'm raring to go for round 2. Keep the name and the subtitle as Andrew suggested.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline RaeC

• Oxford, MS
  • Radioactive Logic
    • View Profile
    • Superfictious: Meta and super fiction from the original fiction physicist.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »
Whatever you decide, count me in this time.

Maybe you could have several themes throughout the collection.

Offline SB James

• View Profile
    • SB James Doing the Write Thing
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
I just downloaded the book, and I think I would like to participate as well. I've bookmarked this thread.

Author and Artist
SB James | WordPress | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest | Google+ | Website

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »
I'm in.   8)
Jena

Offline ufwriter

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »
I'm pretty new to the boards, but I'd love to participate if possible.

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »
I'd love to be involved again.

sam kates

Offline Marilyn Peake

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Peake: Author Website
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 01:40:38 PM »
I missed signing up the last time and I'd love to participate in the second one! :)

Marilyn Peake | Website | Newsletter | Facebook | Twitter | BookBub | Wattpad

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
Oh, good. I'm glad to have a second chance.  I had some personal kerfuffle that knocked me out of everything for most of last year.

Camille

Offline Roz Marshall

• Scotland, UK
    • View Profile
    • Roz Marshall
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
I enjoyed the challenge of writing for the first one and would like to be involved in #2 if you'll have me.

...but Andrew, I can't believe you're game for it, after all the hassle it must've been last time!  :o  (although maybe it will be easier 2nd time around?)

Roz Marshall: website | facebook | goodreads |||Alba Covers: eBook Series Covers

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »
Oh good more quick stories.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline P.T. Phronk

• London, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Phronk.com
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
I'd love to be involved, if you'll have me. Flash-length sci-fi and horror stories are some of my favourite things to write. Bookmarked!

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
  • Aussie Artist and Author
    • View Profile
    • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
I'll be in if you need the numbers, but if there are new people who want in and want the space I'll step aside because I'm taking a step back from writing for now anyway.
-  
Selina Fenech | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Offline authorfriendly

• Charleston, SC
  • D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 02:51:44 PM »
I'm in, assuming its not too late, but would appreciate more info on what's expected

Offline SarahCarter

• London, UK
  • Fantasy and YA author
    • View Profile
    • Sarah Carter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
I'm in, assuming its not too late, but would appreciate more info on what's expected

Just a 1k word piece of flash fiction. Any genre.