Author Topic: How to promote books  (Read 794 times)  

Offline RichardLoweJr

• Safety Harbor, FL
  • Ghostwriter, author, blogger & LinkedIn Branding
    • View Profile
    • The Writing King
How to promote books
« on: July 17, 2018, 07:57:29 AM »
Good morning.
I have a number of books to promote, and I'm looking for paid promotional services.

Any thoughts? Negative or positive?

Have you used a service that worked for you?

Author, Ghostwriter, Blogger, LinkedIn Branding Expert
Richard Lowe Jr | Blog | LinkedIn | Facebook | Amazon

Offline Sophrosyne

• View Profile
Re: How to promote books
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:17:57 PM »
My first reaction was: Dude, you wrote a book called Make a Living as a Professional Self-Published Author: Laying the Foundation: The Steps You Must Take to Create a Six Figure Writing Career, Make Money, ... your Readership (Self-Publishing Book 1) and you don't know how to promote books? But I'm going to assume I misread your question.

Are you asking about hiring publicity firms or running book promotions? Because they're two different things.

Offline David Chill

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »
My first reaction was: Dude, you wrote a book called Make a Living as a Professional Self-Published Author: Laying the Foundation: The Steps You Must Take to Create a Six Figure Writing Career, Make Money, ... your Readership (Self-Publishing Book 1) and you don't know how to promote books? But I'm going to assume I misread your question.

Are you asking about hiring publicity firms or running book promotions? Because they're two different things.

LOL! Maybe he's writing the sequel....

David Chill

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:45:47 AM »
Fiction and non-fiction are going to have different marketing strategies and promotional opportunities. I would first do a search of the archives, as there are lots of posts concerning both (mostly fiction) as well as reviews of promotional companies with results.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Sophrosyne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »
And I would suggest doing that search, and having those answers, before writing and publishing a book telling other authors how they can make $100,000 self-publishing.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:40:44 PM by Sophrosyne »

Offline Sophrosyne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »
LOL! Maybe he's writing the sequel....

ROFLMAO!

Offline mojomikey

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:26:20 AM »
And I would suggest doing that search, and having those answers, before writing and publishing a book telling other authors how they can make $100,000 self-publishing.

This

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 06:50:06 AM »

Why go to the trouble of researching when you can just ask on a forum & expect others to do the research for you?

That's how you get lots of 'how to' books out there with very little work.

Maybe you should've asked everybody to do your work before you published the first books that people can call you out on. :)

A. Woodley | Facebook | Blog | Twitter | Amazon UK | Amazon US

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »
OP, try this search at the Googlez:

site:kboards.com promo sites

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline David Chill

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »
Why go to the trouble of researching when you can just ask on a forum & expect others to do the research for you?

That's how you get lots of 'how to' books out there with very little work.

Maybe you should've asked everybody to do your work before you published the first books that people can call you out on. :)

And as we look a little deeper here, this particular author's how-to book is actually the FIRST of a 3-volume set on becoming a self-published author -- and he's charging a whopping $9.99 for Volume 1, which does not even go into the marketing and promotion process!

I guess he missed the threads on eBook pricing, which advised against pricing above five dollars. Maybe that comes in Volume 3....

David Chill