Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 123617 times)  

Offline Erica Alexander

• View Profile
    • Author Erica Alexander
Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #1050 on: June 25, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
I love Vellum so far, but I cannot make the same image add to multiple chapter heads...

I just did this week and the first time I tried it did not work. Only the first selected chapter had the heading. I tried a couple more times, and it worked. No idea why. I did the same thing both times.

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 25, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »
I just did this week and the first time I tried it did not work. Only the first selected chapter had the heading. I tried a couple more times, and it worked. No idea why. I did the same thing both times.

Yeah, I just got it to work, too, lol!

Offline Erica Alexander

• View Profile
    • Author Erica Alexander
« Reply #1052 on: June 25, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
If at first you don't succeed....  :)

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #1053 on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
Using Vellum for the first time for a release and getting cheesed off--some of the header titles are centered as they should be, but some are showing up flush left. What setting am I missing to correct this? Do I need to go back into the Word document and fix before moving into vellum?

Offline Erica Alexander

• View Profile
    • Author Erica Alexander
« Reply #1054 on: June 27, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
Using Vellum for the first time for a release and getting cheesed off--some of the header titles are centered as they should be, but some are showing up flush left. What setting am I missing to correct this? Do I need to go back into the Word document and fix before moving into vellum?

No need to go back to Word. Vellum will correct it. I have never seen anything like. Whenever I import a word doc into Vellum, it applies the same style to the whole document. And I have formatted dozens of books. Make sure they are chapters and not some other option.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #1055 on: June 27, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »
No need to go back to Word. Vellum will correct it. I have never seen anything like. Whenever I import a word doc into Vellum, it applies the same style to the whole document. And I have formatted dozens of books. Make sure they are chapters and not some other option.

The chapters are fine. The Epilogue, Afterword, Acknowledgements, About the Author, Also By, and Copyright headers are the ones affected. Some are centered, some are flush left. No apparent rhyme or reason.

Offline Erica Alexander

• View Profile
    • Author Erica Alexander
« Reply #1056 on: June 27, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
The chapters are fine. The Epilogue, Afterword, Acknowledgements, About the Author, Also By, and Copyright headers are the ones affected. Some are centered, some are flush left. No apparent rhyme or reason.

Have you tried creating new ones and then copying/pasting the text into it and manually typing the headings again? That might be a bug. I have never encountered it.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #1057 on: June 27, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »
Have you tried creating new ones and then copying/pasting the text into it and manually typing the headings again? That might be a bug. I have never encountered it.

I futzed with it. Looks like the problem might be in the Oxford template. I switched to a different layout and the problem went away (but different problems arose). The actual mobi doesn't look exactly like the preview within Vellum, so I'm guessing there are bugs in the works.

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1058 on: June 27, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »
Hi Jim,

If your Copyright, Also By, and About the Author have the correct type, then you shouldn't be seeing headers at all. You can read about how to check the types of your elements here:
http://help.vellum.pub/element-types/#convert-to

That said, the headers shouldn't randomly be centering. We'd be happy to take a look at your book, if you'd like. You can send it to us via our Contact Page:
https://help.vellum.pub/contact/

Lastly, your mobi should look the same as it does in Vellum. Please check out our Troubleshooting page for answers to the most common issues:
https://help.vellum.pub/troubleshooting/
Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #1059 on: June 27, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
Hi Jim,

If your Copyright, Also By, and About the Author have the correct type, then you shouldn't be seeing headers at all. You can read about how to check the types of your elements here:
http://help.vellum.pub/element-types/#convert-to

That said, the headers shouldn't randomly be centering. We'd be happy to take a look at your book, if you'd like. You can send it to us via our Contact Page:
https://help.vellum.pub/contact/

Lastly, your mobi should look the same as it does in Vellum. Please check out our Troubleshooting page for answers to the most common issues:
https://help.vellum.pub/troubleshooting/
Thanks, I'll check out those links. Might just be a problem with the preview. The book comes out on Saturday, so I'll check out the results direct from Amazon when it hits my Kindle and then reach out if it looked messed up.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:32:50 PM by Jim Johnson »

Offline Kyla S

• North Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 28, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
I'm not sure how to word this correctly, but even though I have hyphens turned on, I still have enormous variations in the spacing between letters on different lines. I've been going through and actually changing the wording of certain sentences to lessen the spacing on certain lines. Occasionally, a line will have spacing that's like 4x normal, and it looks horrible.

Am I missing something here? How are people formatting their print books so quickly? To me, it looks like I have to go through every line of every page and make changes to at least one sentence per page, sometimes more.

Kyla Stone | Facebook

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 28, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »
I'm not sure how to word this correctly, but even though I have hyphens turned on, I still have enormous variations in the spacing between letters on different lines. I've been going through and actually changing the wording of certain sentences to lessen the spacing on certain lines. Occasionally, a line will have spacing that's like 4x normal, and it looks horrible.

Am I missing something here? How are people formatting their print books so quickly? To me, it looks like I have to go through every line of every page and make changes to at least one sentence per page, sometimes more.

It sounds like you have some goofy invisible coding/formatting in the original Word file that you are putting into Vellum. Vellum is designed to accept some of Word's internal coding. That's so you don't have to completely re-do your book when you put your text into a Vellum file. But if you have invisible goofs in your Word file, some of that may come in also.

Just one possibility.

Offline Kyla S

• North Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 28, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
I think it was formatted as justified in Word when I uploaded it into Vellum. Would that do it? So everyone else has text that's completely even, without stretched out spaces between some letters on some lines?

Kyla Stone | Facebook

Online Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #1063 on: June 28, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
I think it was formatted as justified in Word when I uploaded it into Vellum. Would that do it? So everyone else has text that's completely even, without stretched out spaces between some letters on some lines?

Can't speak for this specific piece of software, but in general with most typesetting engines you will practically never have identical WORD spacing line-to-line, but LETTER spacing should be pretty uniform, unless something has gone wrong somewhere.

Offline Kyla S

• North Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 28, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »
Okay, yes, it is the uneven spacing between words. I don't need them exact, but when some lines have word spacing 3-4x as stretched as other lines, it is very obvious and looks unprofessional to me.

Is there some way that others are using to fix this without manually going through the entire book and adjusting offending sentences?

Kyla Stone | Facebook

Online Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #1065 on: June 28, 2017, 08:52:18 PM »
Okay, yes, it is the uneven spacing between words. I don't need them exact, but when some lines have word spacing 3-4x as stretched as other lines, it is very obvious and looks unprofessional to me.

Is there some way that others are using to fix this without manually going through the entire book and adjusting offending sentences?

The usual approach in the broad sense would be to increase the width of the text block, which is usually done with some combination of increasing trim size / reducing margin / reducing font size, but as for a specific fix I'll bet you'll have to provide a screen shot of the issue along with the specs you're working with so folks more knowledgable with Vellum can advise :)

Offline Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:40 AM »

Try doing a ragged right margin in your word file before loading it into Scrivener.

Offline thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 29, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »
Can I take it from this line-spacing discussion that I shouldn't worry if I have an extra space between words when writing the original? Sometimes I unintentionally hit the space bar twice and I usually watch out for this in the final edit and fix these one by one.  But it seems like I'm giving myself extra work for nothing?

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
Can I take it from this line-spacing discussion that I shouldn't worry if I have an extra space between words when writing the original? Sometimes I unintentionally hit the space bar twice and I usually watch out for this in the final edit and fix these one by one.  But it seems like I'm giving myself extra work for nothing?

First: it's a discussion of word spacing, not line spacing.

And what you're speaking about is not extra work for nothing. Yes, you should do a search-and-replace all of those extra 2 spaces with 1.

The way to get a clean formatted file, from any formatting program, is to start with a clean text file, whether a DOCX from Word or plain text from a simple text editor or whatever.

G.I.G.O. ("garbage in, garbage out") is still valid, even in this day of "smart" apps.

Offline Kyla S

• North Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 29, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
Word fan, I will try to strip all formatting and reimport to see if that works.

Kyla Stone | Facebook

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 29, 2017, 06:39:19 PM »
Word fan, I will try to strip all formatting and reimport to see if that works.

Try it. Personally, I always do my final fancy paragraph formatting in Vellum itself: adding ornamental breaks, pull quotes, etc. Vellum will remember any simple character formatting that you have done in Word: bold, italic, etc., which is very handy to not have to go through and re-do.

I, along with some others, thought that you were talking about line spacing at first (my mistake or misread). That can be goofed up by Word's hidden codes. Spacing between words---what you are talking about---can be tweaked a bit for the print file by changing the line length and/or the font size.

In Vellum the line length is set by the menus:

File>Print Settings...>Inside Margin

The font size is set at:

View>Navigator>Styles>Body>Print Edition>Font size

The smaller the font size, the easier it is for the program to space out the words more evenly.

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 05, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
Is there an in-program way to VIEW ON SCREEN the text at a larger size (with word, you set to 100%, 150%, 75% etc.)? I am not talking about outputting large text for the ebook or paper version. I'm talking about while I'm working in the program. I do my original drafts in Vellum and it's killing my eyes (I use a separate monitor when I'm at my desk). I know I can go into settings and scale the display's screen, but the result is just as hard on the eyes (basically small crisp print versus big fuzzy print).

Preview can be scaled, but preview is static, staying on the first page unless you page ahead - not conducive to writing.

Hopefully I'm just overlooking something and someone knows what it is.

Offline B

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 05, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Is there an in-program way to VIEW ON SCREEN the text at a larger size (with word, you set to 100%, 150%, 75% etc.)? I am not talking about outputting large text for the ebook or paper version. I'm talking about while I'm working in the program. I do my original drafts in Vellum and it's killing my eyes (I use a separate monitor when I'm at my desk). I know I can go into settings and scale the display's screen, but the result is just as hard on the eyes (basically small crisp print versus big fuzzy print).

Preview can be scaled, but preview is static, staying on the first page unless you page ahead - not conducive to writing.

Hopefully I'm just overlooking something and someone knows what it is.

Which half of the screen are you talking about? The part where you type the text, or the formatted preview?

For the formatted preview, click the "Aa" at the top to scale up and down the text size (I use the iPad preview for the largest screen size on that side, with largest text size and sepia background for my poor old eyes). It doesn't look fuzzy on my display, even at the largest font size.

For the text itself (on the left side of the screen), go to Vellum > Preferences > Text Editor and you can adjust font and size.

Hope that's helpful.

Offline DanaFraser

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 05, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
Which half ...where you type the text, or the formatted preview?

For the text itself (on the left side of the screen), go to Vellum > Preferences > Text Editor and you can adjust font and size.

Thank you! Typing the text itself was what I was asking.

Offline CarolineAndrus

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »
First - I created a couple of books now with Vellum and I'm in LOVE. Books formatted in minutes instead of an hour plus? SIGN ME UP!

So my question - when I load my Mobi at Amazon and preview it, my store link (basically "click here to check out this other book" - link was inserted with the affiliate link set up thingy) works, but if I send the Mobi straight to my Kindle via email, it does not. Is this simply because the file wasn't delivered THROUGH Amazon? Or should I be worried that something is going on that is messing up the links in my files?

Thanks! (This is my first time on KBoards!  :P)