Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 117027 times)  

Offline CarolineAndrus

• View Profile
Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #1075 on: July 05, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »
First - I created a couple of books now with Vellum and I'm in LOVE. Books formatted in minutes instead of an hour plus? SIGN ME UP!

So my question - when I load my Mobi at Amazon and preview it, my store link (basically "click here to check out this other book" - link was inserted with the affiliate link set up thingy) works, but if I send the Mobi straight to my Kindle via email, it does not. Is this simply because the file wasn't delivered THROUGH Amazon? Or should I be worried that something is going on that is messing up the links in my files?

Thanks! (This is my first time on KBoards!  :P)

Offline LisaMills

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 12, 2017, 05:25:05 AM »
Hi Everyone, (reposting this from my original post, someone kindly told me to post it here so it's seen quicker. I'm very new to kboards. Forgive me.)

Apols if this has been answered already. I did search, honest!

New to Vellum, trialling it today. It's amazing! Smooth and intuitive.

One snag: TOC hierarchy.

So, the .docx import was a bit messed up. I've been going through, renaming chapters, etc.  As I work my way down, I see that it has treated chapters in Part 1 differently to those in Parts 2 & 3.

Part 1 has Chapters at the same level, eg no little arrow to click next to Part 1, and the chapters are directly aligned beneath it.

Parts 2 & 3, the Chapters are viewed by clicking the arrow next to the Part, and are indented beneath the Part.

I don't care which way the chapters are listed, I just want consistency.  Trouble is, I see no where to change this. Hopefully I have correctly added a screen shot of the problem, below. 

I'm sure it's a simple solution! Thanks for reading  :D

Offline LisaMills

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 12, 2017, 05:43:18 AM »
I've cracked it!

A workaround, anyway.

I created a new Part and moved the unruly chapters into it. Now they all are indented, and the newly created Part has the arrow next to it. So everything is consistent.

I'd still love to know if there is a top level solution to this.  Thanks everyone!

Offline C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 14, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »
I just downloaded the most recent update to Vellum, and in the release notes it says:

Reimport Word File is back and better than ever: added front and back matter is left in place, and its now undoable

What is reimport word file? What does it do and when/why would someone use it? Also, what does "added front and back matter is left in place, and its now undoable" mean?

I searched and couldn't find any info. I'm thinking this isn't a feature I'd use, but I'd like to know what it is in case I'm missing out on something. Thanks!

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 14, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »
I just downloaded the most recent update to Vellum, and in the release notes it says:

Reimport Word File is back and better than ever: added front and back matter is left in place, and its now undoable

What is reimport word file? What does it do and when/why would someone use it? Also, what does "added front and back matter is left in place, and its now undoable" mean?

I searched and couldn't find any info. I'm thinking this isn't a feature I'd use, but I'd like to know what it is in case I'm missing out on something. Thanks!

Reimport word file is just like it sounds. If you made changes to the original word file you used to create the book in Vellum, you can reimport the file to bring in those changes. The only problem was that when you did that, it started the interior of the book over from scratch. All of your front an back matter were gone. You only had the body of the book you just reimported from the word file. So Vellum removed this option in the new version.

It looks like they've brought it back, but in a way that is actually usable, and preserves the other elements you might have in place.

I still don't see myself using it. I usually have the book split into parts or volumes, plus a sample of the next book and some links in the body. I wouldn't want to lose all that.

For me, once I create a book in Vellum, that copy becomes the master version. If i need to make and changes, I make them in Vellum. And if I need a word or PDF file for any reason, I just export one from the Vellum version.

Online NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: July 15, 2017, 05:40:18 AM »
So disappointed....
I was beginning to switch my back catalog over to vellum, and my newest release had just come back from editing. Cut and pasted and tweaked and then went to push the export button... and was notified that I needed to upgrade.
No problem. Attempted upgrade.
Was notified I needed the newest Mac OS .... my mac wont upgrade to the newest OS.

I can't run the old version of vellum software installed on my Mac using the same old operating system I used a month ago.
It basicly made the software unusable. What makes matters worse is that I've paid for the export of the old books but I can't re-export them because the server side of vellum no longer supports my older version.

Lol. Not much to do but buy a new mac to sort this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 15, 2017, 06:05:45 AM »

Send a note to Vellum Support (vellum@180g.co) explaining what's going on and see what they say before you buy a new computer.

Offline Erica Alexander

• View Profile
    • Author Erica Alexander
« Reply #1082 on: July 15, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »
@ NeilMosspark:

If you bring your Mac to the Apple store they may be able to upgrade your computer. I brought my old 2009 iMac to the Apple store because it was running very slow and they restored it to factory settings with El Capitan 10.11.6.
According to Vellum requirements in the help file, it should run on Mac OS El Capitan (10.11).

Now, I can't confirm that Vellum runs on that version because I use it on a newer laptop with Sierra. But it's worth a shot. If you go to the Apple store, you need to make an appointment online first and the clean up and upgrade was free. Also make sure to back-up ALL of your documents to an external drive. Good luck.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #1083 on: July 15, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »
Send a note to Vellum Support (vellum@180g.co) explaining what's going on and see what they say before you buy a new computer.
I second that motion.

By the way, the software doesn't actually require the very newest. I think either of the last two will do it (El Capitan or Sierra, unless something's changed).

Nor do you need a new Mac necessarily. Apply says anything from mid 2010 up should run Sierra. My Macbook Pro was that vintage, and it runs Sierra just fine.

On the other hand, if the Mac is your primary computer, and you have one old enough not to be able to update to Sierra, maybe it's time for new equipment. The older a system gets, the more likely software glitches like this become, and if you use your Mac heavily enough, the extra speed will doubtless be a welcome change. (I'm still using my old machine, but just for Vellum; I'm primarily a PC user.)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 15, 2017, 09:23:44 AM »
Was notified I needed the newest Mac OS .... my mac wont upgrade to the newest OS.

Here is the list of computers that can run El Capitan, and thus Vellum:

iMac: Late 2006 or newer
MacBook: Late 2008
MacBook White/Black: Early 2009 or newer
MacBook Retina: All
MacBook Air: Late 2008 or newer
MacBook Pro: 13-inch: Mid 2009 or newer
MacBook Pro: 15-inch: Mid 2007 or newer
MacBook Pro: 17-inch: Late 2007 or newer[7]
Mac Mini: Mid 2007 or newer
Mac Pro: Early 2008 or newer

So pretty much anything in the last decade will work. Not unreasonable IMHO.
You do run into this from time to time. I guess it's Apple's fault for making computers reliable enough that people will still be using them when they're over a decade old!  :)

As far as having to buy a "new" Mac to run Vellum - I'm sure you can grab something on the older end of that spectrum for considerably less than what a new Mac would cost you.

I've been in your situation before. It sucks. Good luck sorting it out!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:14:00 AM by Steve Voelker »

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #1085 on: July 15, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »
Am I right in thinking the option to pay per ebook has now gone, and you need to buy the full product?  :(

Up-and-coming horror author and future King of the World.
Lee Mountford | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #1086 on: July 15, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
Am I right in thinking the option to pay per ebook has now gone, and you need to buy the full product?  :(

Yep.  They now only offer the full for $199, or full with print for $249

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #1087 on: July 15, 2017, 12:12:16 PM »
I second the thought that Neil should check and see if his older machine will run El Capitan if it won't run Sierra. I had to check on my machine, which was running Yosemite, so saw how old a machine could be and run Sierra, and what Steve posted looks to me as if a machine can be a couple of years older and run El Capitan.

And if that won't work, I second the advice to shop around rather than just buy a new latest and greatest. I almost bought a refurbished, but in the end bought an older MacBook Pro that was still new, so there are ways to get something not very old for less than thousands.

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #1088 on: July 15, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
Yep.  They now only offer the full for $199, or full with print for $249

Bugger, that's caught me out. Was just about to put an ebook together  :(

Ah well, guess I'll have to shell out the money. Thanks for the reply!

Online Brad West

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1089 on: July 17, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
So disappointed....
I was beginning to switch my back catalog over to vellum, and my newest release had just come back from editing. Cut and pasted and tweaked and then went to push the export button... and was notified that I needed to upgrade.
No problem. Attempted upgrade.

I can't run the old version of vellum software installed on my Mac using the same old operating system I used a month ago.
It basicly made the software unusable. What makes matters worse is that I've paid for the export of the old books but I can't re-export them because the server side of vellum no longer supports my older version.

Hi Neil,

I'll echo the other comments that if you're stuck, get in touch with us. Vellum does include some checks that should keep it from updating to 2.0 if you're on an older version of macOS, but it's possible that check failed for some reason. If you do need to go back to 1.4.3, we can tell you how.

That said, we don't think any one should have to buy a new Mac in order to update to Vellum 2.0. Support for some older Macs have been dropped for macOS Sierra (10.12), but El Capitan (10.11) should support the same list of Macs as 10.9 and 10.10. You can learn more about El Capitan here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:21:08 PM by Brad West »
Brad West. Co-founder of 180g, Creators of Vellum

Offline Erica Alexander

• View Profile
    • Author Erica Alexander
Vellum: Error message from Amazon
« Reply #1090 on: Yesterday at 06:52:07 AM »
Someone I know got the email below from Amazon and is of course very scared. Has anyone gotten this? She had uploaded several other books formatted with Vellum before without any issues. A few people said that this is KDP response because of page flip and to just ignore the message. I would like to know if anyone got this, what did they do, if anything and what's Vellum position on this. Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Error Category: Formatting-Others; Comments: We noticed that your eBook which is currently in high demand with the customers is not enabled with enhanced typesetting.

Issue: The Epub file consists of tag/property "Mobi media query" which is not currently supported in Enhanced Typesetting conversion.
Issue location: The tag/property is present in CSS file inside the Epub.
Associated Class: The media query is used in all classes in CSS file media.css.
Proposed Solution: The Mobi media query is used to give particular properties to non-kindle devices. These media queries are not supported in Enhanced Typesetting conversion, hence remove the screen size properties from the media queries. This will enable the title with Enhanced Typesetting features.

This will not affect the availability of your book. After you've made the correction, please upload your revised content through the Book Content section of your KDP Bookshelf. If you have further questions, please reply directly to this email and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
For more information about specific book errors (including why some errors are more critical than others), see our Help page: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1MMQ0JHRBEINX

For a complete guide to building a book for Kindle, see the Kindle Publishing Guidelines: https://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/AmazonKindlePublishingGu

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1091 on: Yesterday at 12:29:50 PM »
Someone I know got the email below from Amazon and is of course very scared. Has anyone gotten this? She had uploaded several other books formatted with Vellum before without any issues. A few people said that this is KDP response because of page flip and to just ignore the message. I would like to know if anyone got this, what did they do, if anything and what's Vellum position on this. Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Error Category: Formatting-Others; Comments: We noticed that your eBook which is currently in high demand with the customers is not enabled with enhanced typesetting.

Issue: The Epub file consists of tag/property "Mobi media query" which is not currently supported in Enhanced Typesetting conversion.
Issue location: The tag/property is present in CSS file inside the Epub.
Associated Class: The media query is used in all classes in CSS file media.css.
Proposed Solution: The Mobi media query is used to give particular properties to non-kindle devices. These media queries are not supported in Enhanced Typesetting conversion, hence remove the screen size properties from the media queries. This will enable the title with Enhanced Typesetting features.

This will not affect the availability of your book. After you've made the correction, please upload your revised content through the Book Content section of your KDP Bookshelf. If you have further questions, please reply directly to this email and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
For more information about specific book errors (including why some errors are more critical than others), see our Help page: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1MMQ0JHRBEINX

For a complete guide to building a book for Kindle, see the Kindle Publishing Guidelines: https://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/AmazonKindlePublishingGu…

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

This message is a relatively new, and needlessly scary, form response sent whenever Amazon fails to apply their "Enhanced Typesetting" to a title.

As the message states, the book's availability isn't affected. It just means that Amazon's Enhanced Typesetting feature won't be enabled for that book.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:31:35 PM by Brad Andalman »
Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #1092 on: Yesterday at 01:27:08 PM »
Is enhanced typesetting anything except the weird hyphenation? Or is that even part of it?

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #1093 on: Yesterday at 01:59:16 PM »
Can anyone give any guidance on what the best size is for print out of the options given in Vellum Press? I'm going to be producing a paperback through Createspace soon (hopefully), so just wondered what the best size is for this?

Apologies if this has been asked earlier.

Online Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #1094 on: Yesterday at 02:29:16 PM »
Is enhanced typesetting anything except the weird hyphenation? Or is that even part of it?

Enhanced typesetting mainly refers to hyphenation, but it appears along with other KFX features like Page Flip.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #1095 on: Yesterday at 02:53:58 PM »
Can anyone give any guidance on what the best size is for print out of the options given in Vellum Press? I'm going to be producing a paperback through Createspace soon (hopefully), so just wondered what the best size is for this?

Apologies if this has been asked earlier.

This is going to sound awfully vague: it depends.

Industry standard for print is Garamond 11.5 in a US Trade 6x9. If you are going to be printing to a smaller format, then you will want to consider using a smaller font size to keep the page counts down.

If your book is fairly long, 140K+ words, then you might want to avoid the smaller paperback formats, because that would push up the page counts so high that the book could be many inches thick. That would be uncomfortable to hold while reading. To balance that, you could push the font size so small, that it would be straining to the eyes to read it.

Set a format size and font size, then generate the PDF and look at how many pages it is. Next, look up the paper thickness used to print your book and multiply that by the number of pages—cut that number in half and that should be the thickness of your book. (Half because each piece of paper has two pages on it.) If it is too thick, drop the font size or move up to the next size book format.

It's a balancing act. Book size, font size, font face, margins, gutter—all these come into play when formatting a book for print. Go and grab a few of your favorite books and hold them. Determine which ones feel the most comfortable and try to target that size.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: Yesterday at 06:16:47 PM »
Industry standard for print is Garamond 11.5 in a US Trade 6x9.

I don't know where in the world you came up with that nonsense but let me state this plainly for the Original Poster:

THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE INDUSTRY STANDARD FOR TRADE PAPERBACKS.

Did you get that WDR?

Don't believe it? Take a ruler to any decent-sized bookstore that has bunches of trade paperbacks and actually measure them. Then look inside a bunch of them and compare typefaces.

There is a often-used range of book sizes and Vellum gives you a few of them from which to choose. There is even less commonality among typefaces and line lengths and margin sizes. Those are adjusted as desired by the publisher to result in a page length that fits the book's budget. If the number of pages is a bit short, there is even a thing called "loft"  that can be specified in the type of paper used in the book so the book will end up being of an acceptable thickness without being overly heavy.

So, to the O.P.: there is no "best" size. You have to adjust the options to fit your own desires. Generally that means the number of pages, since that's what affects the cost of the book.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #1097 on: Today at 08:45:56 AM »
I don't know where in the world you came up with that nonsense but let me state this plainly for the Original Poster:

Talk to an actual book manufacturer. Not a "printer", but a manufacturer. The guys who do the printing for the Big-5 and most small publishing houses. King Printing, Lowell, Massachusetts.

Garamond 11.5 is their standard choice, and then they adjust from there depending on format, pages, etc. That's where I get the numbers from. As I said in my post, you have to adjust depending on format, pages, font face choices, etc.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #1098 on: Today at 09:08:04 AM »
I'll have to agree that it's a question of trial and error. I wouldn't under any circumstances go lower than 11 point. (I wish Vellum gave the point sizes, instead of just unlabeled spots on a continuum.)

I also wish Vellum would allow some control over outside and bottom margins. The bottom in particular, if one isn't putting page numbers down there, could be set somewhat smaller and still look good.

We can manipulate the inside margin, but that's really driven more by the length of the book than anything else, and making it too small would be a big mistake. (I find I need to add a little to the CS specs to avoid having text too close to the gutter.

By the way, Vellum 2.0.3 appears to have a little glitch with smaller point sizes and line spacing. I was doing some experimenting and discovered that going down a couple of notches on each throws off spread balancing (making the facing pages have the same number of lines by subtly altering line spacing after correcting widows). I've reported the issue, and it will doubtless be fixed soon, but it's worth noting right now as something you need to watch for. The problem doesn't occur with the defaults.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #1099 on: Today at 12:37:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! Looks like this is something I will have to play around with.