Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 123532 times)  

Offline CandyCromwell

• View Profile
Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #1125 on: July 26, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »
I'm also slightly confused about how testing or proofing will resolve the issue. The file looks right on the Windows Desktop Kindle app, but doesn't on my iPhone Kindle app. Since some people read on the iOS app, that's a problem, even if it does work right on the desktop app.

All I'm doing is selecting text in the Vellum editor and using the "small caps" option. Where is the process breaking down, in the original Word formatting somehow?

Sorry if I'm still not understanding.

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #1126 on: July 26, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Candy, I just checked one of my previous books using the Kindle app on my iPhone and the small caps look fine. They're also fine using the Kindle app on my laptop. Also, on my Kindle (Paperwhite) itself.

I wonder why yours is different? Something's gone wrong.

However, my small caps don't work in BookFunnel, which is really a pain. But they seem fine elsewhere.

The Leafy Hollow Mysteries series is now available!
Rickie Blair | RickieBlair.com | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #1127 on: July 27, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
After conferring with the BookFunnel folks, I've found the answer to that particular problem:

http://authors.bookfunnel.com/help/mobi-format-and-kf8/

Turns out you have to tick the box that says "include the KF8" or else the readers won't see your "floopties".  ::)

Who knew? (Not me, obviously.  ???) I'm off to fix those files now. (Which you can do without re-uploading; check details in link above.)

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1128 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
I'm also slightly confused about how testing or proofing will resolve the issue. The file looks right on the Windows Desktop Kindle app, but doesn't on my iPhone Kindle app. Since some people read on the iOS app, that's a problem, even if it does work right on the desktop app.

All I'm doing is selecting text in the Vellum editor and using the "small caps" option. Where is the process breaking down, in the original Word formatting somehow?

Sorry if I'm still not understanding.

You're right, testing or proofing won't resolve the issue, but making sure you are proofing correctly will ensure that you see all of the formatting that you've set up in Vellum. Sorry my previous post was not clear.

After conferring with the BookFunnel folks, I've found the answer to that particular problem:

http://authors.bookfunnel.com/help/mobi-format-and-kf8/

Turns out you have to tick the box that says "include the KF8" or else the readers won't see your "floopties".  ::)

Who knew? (Not me, obviously.  ???) I'm off to fix those files now. (Which you can do without re-uploading; check details in link above.)

Aha! That's good to know! You definitely want to make sure that the KF8 formatting isn't lost. We, too, have a help page on this topic:
https://help.vellum.pub/kindleformats/
Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Offline CandyCromwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 27, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »
Candy, I just checked one of my previous books using the Kindle app on my iPhone and the small caps look fine. They're also fine using the Kindle app on my laptop. Also, on my Kindle (Paperwhite) itself.

I wonder why yours is different? Something's gone wrong.

However, my small caps don't work in BookFunnel, which is really a pain. But they seem fine elsewhere.

I'll give it another go when I'm done wrestling with the print PDF. Just to make sure we're on the same page:

I'm talking about using small caps for acronyms (like IBM, as discussed), and following the advice of typing them in lower case and then using the small caps formatting option in Vellum. Are we still talking about the same thing?

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #1130 on: July 27, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
I'm talking about using small caps for acronyms (like IBM, as discussed), and following the advice of typing them in lower case and then using the small caps formatting option in Vellum. Are we still talking about the same thing?

Yes, because if you type them in all-caps and then convert to small caps in Vellum, the letters won't be any smaller than normal caps. (See Brad's full-sentence example.)

I have a couple of books with acronyms in them (the financial thrillers have a few SEC's and IRS's and NYSE's and so forth) and I prefer the small caps for the paperbacks. But it really doesn't matter for an ebook, I don't think. And even in paperback, I don't think it's essential, IMHO.

You definitely want to make sure that the KF8 formatting isn't lost. We, too, have a help page on this topic:
https://help.vellum.pub/kindleformats/

Reading the instructions is for sissies. :-[ :-[ :-[ 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:11:43 PM by Rickie Blair »

Online Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 27, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked already, and I think it might have been, but I could not find it in my search, so I'll ask (again?): Brads, are you planning on making Vellum non-fiction friendly for authors? Is that at all in the works? Scrivener can do the links to citations and on and on, but the formatting and look is...well, left much desired. Thanks to anyone who already knows this answer and can smack me down with a 'duh' answer. I swear I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for!  :o

There is no "duh" answer so no smackdown. Making Vellum truly useful for non-fiction would entail adding so many features that, in my humble opinion, it ain't going to happen soon. This is not to denigrate in any way its usefulness for fiction books, for which it is outstanding.

However, if you have a Mac with the Sierra operating system, you have an answer: Apple's Pages app version 6.2. After several years of us suffering through the loss of the wonderful usefulness of Pages 4.1 (which did so many things that it had a User Guide of 279 pages!), many of those features have now been put back. Especially great is the ability to create internal links, so you can jump to citations and end notes, and even design and create your own multi-level table of contents that will look and operate exactly the way that you want.

You might want to give it a look.

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 31, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
Sorry if this has been dealt with earlier.
I searched, but maybe my search-fu is lacking.

In a traditional trade paperback (basic book without tons of introduction) the pages go as follows:
Inside cover - half title
blank page - full title
copyright - blank page (or dedication)
blank page - Ch 1

I'm trying to get that order in print Vellum, but by filling in the title page info it gives me a full title as the first page.
Not sure how to create a half title page or how to arrange it to come before the full title.

Any help or direction to online help would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 01, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
Bumping to see if there is an answer to my question.
Thanks!

Offline Brad West

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1134 on: August 01, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
Sorry if this has been dealt with earlier.
I searched, but maybe my search-fu is lacking.

In a traditional trade paperback (basic book without tons of introduction) the pages go as follows:
Inside cover - half title
blank page - full title
copyright - blank page (or dedication)
blank page - Ch 1

I'm trying to get that order in print Vellum, but by filling in the title page info it gives me a full title as the first page.
Not sure how to create a half title page or how to arrange it to come before the full title.

Hi Flay,

Vellum doesn't currently have a way to create a proper half title. We do have a suggestion on file for this, and would like to add this in the future. In the meantime, though, you can get something like what you're looking for using a Blurbs element, which will be inserted before the (full) title page:
  • Create a Blurbs Element (Chapter > Add Element > Blurbs)
  • Rename the Blurbs from "Praise for Watery Fowls" to something like "Half title"
  • Hide the Heading (Chapter > Heading > Hide Heading in Book)
  • Add whatever text you'd like for your half title (you can use an Alignment Block to center)
Hope that helps.
Brad West. Co-founder of 180g, Creators of Vellum

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 01, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
Hi Flay,

Vellum doesn't currently have a way to create a proper half title. We do have a suggestion on file for this, and would like to add this in the future. In the meantime, though, you can get something like what you're looking for using a Blurbs element, which will be inserted before the (full) title page:
  • Create a Blurbs Element (Chapter > Add Element > Blurbs)
  • Rename the Blurbs from "Praise for Watery Fowls" to something like "Half title"
  • Hide the Heading (Chapter > Heading > Hide Heading in Book)
  • Add whatever text you'd like for your half title (you can use an Alignment Block to center)
Hope that helps.

Thanks!
I'll give that a go.
And "Watery Fowls" - it's always funny when somebody gets the joke.

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #1136 on: August 02, 2017, 12:46:16 PM »
Not sure if anyone can help with this. Just going through my first book making some edits, and I noticed that when I copied the word file from Scrivener, the quotation marks are just vertical marks, like so: '

I would like these to show as quotation marks (the curvy ones), but going through the whole manuscript changing each one is a bit of a task. And I can't do a find and replace as I'd end up with opening quotation marks being used everywhere, even when closing speech.

So, does anyone know of a quick way to convert these? Just hoping there is an easy way I'm not aware of, otherwise I'm going to have to go through the whole manuscript changing all of the speech marks. And that will suck! lol

Up-and-coming horror author and future King of the World.
Lee Mountford | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #1137 on: August 02, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »
Not sure if anyone can help with this. Just going through my first book making some edits, and I noticed that when I copied the word file from Scrivener, the quotation marks are just vertical marks, like so: '

I would like these to show as quotation marks (the curvy ones), but going through the whole manuscript changing each one is a bit of a task. And I can't do a find and replace as I'd end up with opening quotation marks being used everywhere, even when closing speech.

So, does anyone know of a quick way to convert these? Just hoping there is an easy way I'm not aware of, otherwise I'm going to have to go through the whole manuscript changing all of the speech marks. And that will suck! lol

If you are still working in the Word file, make sure you have smart quotes turned on in (File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > Auto Format tab).  Then open Find/Replace (CTRL+H on windows), put " in the find and replace and hit Replace All.  Word will automatically format them correctly for the smart quotes.  Do the same for the single quotes.  :-)

Online Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 02, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
Do the same for the single quotes.

The single quotes thing works for all but the occasional contraction that begins with an apostrophe ('til for until and 'em as in Go get 'em.). Those you have to track down and do manually. If you don't, they will end up being curved the wrong way.

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #1139 on: August 02, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »
The single quotes thing works for all but the occasional contraction that begins with an apostrophe ('til for until and 'em as in Go get 'em.). Those you have to track down and do manually. If you don't, they will end up being curved the wrong way.

Weird...I just tested it in my version Word (365) and it seemed to curve them the right way when I did a search/replace as described

Online Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: August 03, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »
Weird...I just tested it in my version Word (365) and it seemed to curve them the right way when I did a search/replace as described

I doubt it. (Not you. Microsoft.)

There should be no space between the apostrophe and the text of the contraction, and a beginning apostrophe curves like an ending parenthesis: )

So you get this: Go get )em.

Word, and other apps, always end up substituting a opening single quote, which curves like an opening apostrophe: (

Go get (em.

To clearly see if it's working correctly, you have to use a typeface that has curly quotes, not those straight-line, slanted wedges that some typefaces use and that are difficult to discern at small sizes.

If Word 365 has really, truly fixed that, my hat is off to them.

(But I would have to see it to believe it.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:38:19 AM by Word Fan »

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #1141 on: August 03, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
Ahhhh...then yep, you're right.  I've always though the curve like an opening was the right one  :-[

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #1142 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »
If you are still working in the Word file, make sure you have smart quotes turned on in (File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > Auto Format tab).  Then open Find/Replace (CTRL+H on windows), put " in the find and replace and hit Replace All.  Word will automatically format them correctly for the smart quotes.  Do the same for the single quotes.  :-)

Unfortunately I'm past using the word document as I have previously made changes in the Vellum file. Looks like I'll have to do it the long way :(

Thank for the help, though, it is appreciated.

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1143 on: August 03, 2017, 10:01:46 AM »
Unfortunately I'm past using the word document as I have previously made changes in the Vellum file. Looks like I'll have to do it the long way :(

Thank for the help, though, it is appreciated.

Hi Lee,

Though it isn't as ideal as fixing your whole document in Word, you can select your chapter's text in Vellum and then right-click (or control-click) to bring up a context menu with Apply Smart Quotes. Choosing that menu item will fix up the straight quotes in your selected text.

Hope that helps,
Brad
Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Offline LeeMountford

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Lee Mountford
« Reply #1144 on: August 03, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
Hi Lee,

Though it isn't as ideal as fixing your whole document in Word, you can select your chapter's text in Vellum and then right-click (or control-click) to bring up a context menu with Apply Smart Quotes. Choosing that menu item will fix up the straight quotes in your selected text.

Hope that helps,
Brad

Brad, you are my hero!!! This worked like a charm and has saved me a massive amount of work. Thank you so much! :)

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #1145 on: August 09, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
I really love the option now on my Kindle to have ragged right margin, which takes out the huge gaps between words and silly hyphenating that regularly occurs in justified right ebooks. It's not available in all ebooks, so I decided to check my own. The recent books I formatted with Vellum don't allow this choice. I assume I either checked or didn't check something when formatting that I need to remedy. Can someone save me experimenting and tell me what that is?

Offline novotny

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 10, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
I am new to this forum but I would like to ask this question:

Assuming you have constructed an Index in Word 2016 for Mac, does this transfer over to Vellum smoothly?

I am writing a non-fiction book with footnotes, bibliography, and Index.

Will this be an issue?

Thanks for any advice

Offline toddhoffious

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 12, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
I really love the option now on my Kindle to have ragged right margin, which takes out the huge gaps between words and silly hyphenating that regularly occurs in justified right ebooks. It's not available in all ebooks, so I decided to check my own. The recent books I formatted with Vellum don't allow this choice. I assume I either checked or didn't check something when formatting that I need to remedy. Can someone save me experimenting and tell me what that is?

There's a "Justify Text" option on the Styles page. Does that do what you want?

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #1148 on: August 12, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »
There's a "Justify Text" option on the Styles page. Does that do what you want?

I haven't regenerated, sideloaded, and tested yet, but I wouldn't think so. Was hoping someone knew.;) I don't want to set it to ragged right for everyone. I want the reader to be able to choose ragged right if, like me, they want it. I suspect it may have something to do with enhanced page options. I may have them off because for a while that stopped page flip. Now that nothing stops page flip, when I get time to play with it, I'll enable it and see if that does it.

Offline C L Salaski

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 18, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
Has anyone experienced this problem I've had with Vellum.

I purchased the product and absolutely loved it. However, after correcting a few minor problems the software generated in my original manuscript, I began making lots of changes to my novel in Vellum. I have a habit of obsessively saving my files in Word, Pages, Scrivener, and did the same with Vellum. After about three days of revisions and constant saving, I encountered an agonizing problem.

I had been leaving the Vellum app open while doing all my work. When I was finished with a session, I would simply close the lid on my MacBook Air. However on Tuesday night my Mac was running slow so I shut down several programs including Vellum. The next morning I opened the Vellum app and discovered that all of my saved changes were GONE. The only thing in Vellum was my original imported manuscript. And the revised file is not on my hard drive. I followed Brad's instructions to search and it is nowhere to be found.

How could this possibly have happened? I've been going back and forth with one of the Brads who created Vellum and he keeps telling me the program saves the same as Word, Pages, and Scrivener. Well, it didn't for me. And I did nothing that should have caused this problem. I'm a perfectionist and save all docs constantly.

Has anyone here had this happen to them? Did my download of Vellum get corrupted somehow?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:34:01 AM by C L Salaski »