Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 131411 times)  

Joliedupre

Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »
Wait, I really can't biologically give him babies.  I was ... er... nevermind!

But if Vellum can provide POD (print on demand) formatting as well you will see a massive influx of people buying or renting MAC's and buying Vellum.  I'd buy stock in Apple if that happens ;D

Ha Ha!

~~~

I'm a customer of Vellum for life if they do that. :)

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2015, 04:59:12 AM »
Hi Monique,

Since you're in the beta, you know we've been working on some new features for ebooks (many of them driven by user requests and suggestions!), so our focus right now is getting those finalized and available to every one.

But we always like hearing that print would be a valuable addition, especially since it would be a significant undertaking for us.

Thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear you're loving Vellum!

P.S. Boyd, sorry we didn't answer you sooner, but hope this answers your question as well.

Brad, another Vellum lover here! Am wondering if you are also working on a way to format a boxed set using Vellum? I don't see a way to do that yet?

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »
Brad, another Vellum lover here! Am wondering if you are also working on a way to format a boxed set using Vellum? I don't see a way to do that yet?

Hi Pamela,

We are! Our next version of Vellum includes features that make formatting box sets much easier. We are busy putting the finishing touches on it, and hope to release in late September.
Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »
The box set formatting was wonderful and why I purchased Vellum. (I'm part of a beta for the new features.) You'll love it, Pamela. It was so easy and the finished product is so elegant.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »
The box set formatting was wonderful and why I purchased Vellum. (I'm part of a beta for the new features.) You'll love it, Pamela. It was so easy and the finished product is so elegant.

Wonderful! Thank you. I am excited about this! :)

Offline KinkyWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
I'm finally about to buy Vellum and super stoked!

For their KENPC changes, is that already implemented in their software or would I need to buy Vellum and update it somehow?

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2015, 03:46:33 PM »
That updated and fixed this already.

I'm finally about to buy Vellum and super stoked!

For their KENPC changes, is that already implemented in their software or would I need to buy Vellum and update it somehow?

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

Offline KinkyWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
That updated and fixed this already.

Thank you, just wanted to confirm.

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2015, 01:01:23 PM »
Forgive me if this has been raised before: I used Vellum to format my book with beautiful chapter headings and drop caps. I uploaded to Amazon and they took the beauty right back out again - no fancy headings or drop caps. Is that just Amazon, or did I miss doing something I should have done?

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
How are you looking at it? Look inside and the Kindle Cloud Reader won't show any of the advanced features. Neither will some early devices that never got updated to KF8 features.

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2015, 01:58:29 PM »
Ahh, good question - I just checked the Look Inside sample...would it not appear there?

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2015, 02:00:27 PM »
The Look Inside feature butchers things with regularity.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »
Ahh, good question - I just checked the Look Inside sample...would it not appear there?

The reason you don’t see the drop caps and other design elements there is that Amazon’s "Look Inside" feature (as well as other places, like the Kindle Cloud Reader, as Speaker-To-Animals mentioned) uses its older "mobi7" format, which can only display very basic formatting. You can learn more about the difference here:
http://help.180g.co/vellum/kindleformats/

Readers who purchase your book, even if they just download a sample, will see the full formatting, however.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:47:32 PM by Brad Andalman »

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Thanks, Brad, Monique, and STA - that is reassuring. Vellum makes a chore a pleasure...I bought it

Offline Penelope Redmont

• View Profile
    • Penelope Redmont
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »
Wonderful! Thank you. I am excited about this! :)

Wow, count me excited too. I've been looking at Vellum, it looks wonderful. I know that David Hewson uses it, so I've been dithering about whether or not  I should. When the box set goes live, I'm in. :-)

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:50 AM »
Went ahead and bought Vellum, couldn't stop thinking about it :)

This question has probably already been answered (no time to look through the thread), but is there anyway to save a template? Or a way to make it remember my settings by default? 

Online Brad West

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
Went ahead and bought Vellum, couldn't stop thinking about it :)

This question has probably already been answered (no time to look through the thread), but is there anyway to save a template? Or a way to make it remember my settings by default?

Thanks for your purchase!

We have had heard the suggestion to be able to define a template for new books. We think that's a great idea, but it's not something in Vellum right now.

One tip, though, is that you can drag and drop chapters (and other elements) to copy them from one book to another. This can be particularly handy if you've set up an Also By page with links to your other books:

Hope that helps.
Brad West. Co-founder of 180g, Creators of Vellum

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
Any update on the box set formatting? Had one of mine rejected by ibooks because I had so many chapters labelled as untitled in the tOC cos I can't alter the chapter sequence in subsequent books after book one  :(

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2015, 11:41:43 AM »
Any update on the box set formatting? Had one of mine rejected by ibooks because I had so many chapters labelled as untitled in the tOC cos I can't alter the chapter sequence in subsequent books after book one  :(

This is just off the top of my head

Try renaming the chapters to reflect the book they are in:

Book 1Chapter 1
Book 2Chapter 2
etc....

You can replace "Book #" with whatever title the given book has.

Okay, it isn't very elegant (e.g. It's labor intensive), but it will allow you to delineate the different books.

I can think of another way to do this, but I haven't actually tried itI'm talking off the top of my head here:

Reorganize the books in your word processor. Set the books' title pages as "TITLE" in your word processing document and set the chapters as "Headings". This will have the result of treating the book titles as chapters in the ebook and the chapters of each book will become a sub-section to that. You will have to make sure there is a page break between each chapter. But without trying this myself, I'm not sure how Vellum will treat this. In theory, it should allow the Table of Contents to be generated.

I might just mess around with this to see what happens, now that my curiosity has been piqued.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
Have tried variations on this but still looks weird to have third book in set beginning at Chapter 181 or some such....

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
Hi KaiW,

There are certainly ways to accomplish what you'd like in the current version of Vellum. However, as WDR points out, they involve some manual labor that is not ideal.

Our next release makes creating box sets much easier and should be available within a week. Does that work with your timeframe? If not, please get in touch with us directly.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:48:28 PM by Brad Andalman »

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »
Thanks for your purchase!

We have had heard the suggestion to be able to define a template for new books. We think that's a great idea, but it's not something in Vellum right now.

One tip, though, is that you can drag and drop chapters (and other elements) to copy them from one book to another. This can be particularly handy if you've set up an Also By page with links to your other books:

Hope that helps.
Thanks, it does. I'll just have a few default pages saved on my desktop, no biggie  :)

Programs like this remind me why I use Macs. So simple and easy to use.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
While we have you here to harass you. :)

Any comments on the new layout engine and the KFX standard? I notice the two books I have that are done in Vellum haven't been updated and all of my other books have. I'm not necessarily complaining btw. I like Bookerly, but really dislike the overhyphenation. There are also reports that they're reformatting and defeating choices people have made in their books, which I'm not thrilled with.

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2015, 01:48:50 PM »
Hi KaiW,

There are certainly ways to accomplish what you'd like in the current version of Vellum. However, as WDR points out, they involve some manual labor that is not ideal.

Our next release makes creating box sets much easier and should be available within a week. Does that work with your timeframe? If not, please get in touch with us directly at vellum@180g.co.

Brilliant to hear thank you, can certainly wait till then. Cheers Brad 😃

Online Brad West

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2015, 02:30:34 PM »
Any comments on the new layout engine and the KFX standard? I notice the two books I have that are done in Vellum haven't been updated and all of my other books have. I'm not necessarily complaining btw. I like Bookerly, but really dislike the overhyphenation. There are also reports that they're reformatting and defeating choices people have made in their books, which I'm not thrilled with.

Unfortunately, Amazon has released very few specifics about KFX beyond their initial press release. In fact, even the name KFX is something that was only determined after some intrepid readers unpacked the contents of some of the enhanced mobi files.

We're hoping that will change, and should they release any technical information, we'll definitely look into how that might affect the eBooks we generate.

Brad West. Co-founder of 180g, Creators of Vellum