Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 148130 times)  

Offline Quills

• View Profile
Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #1275 on: December 13, 2017, 01:41:20 AM »
You can import a Vellum file into another by just dragging it into the Navigator on the left, as seen here:
https://help.vellum.pub/box-sets/#adding-books

I should note, though, that just like importing a Word document, importing a Vellum file copies all of the information from the original. So if you find you need to make a correction afterward, you will need to make it in both places.

Thank you. That was exactly what I was trying to do but it didn't work. I've managed to do it now though so I'm assuming the earlier attempt was user error...

Offline deprox

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 19, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
Can you properly import tables in vellum ?

I tried to import a .doc with tables but i can't see them in vellum.

Does it happen to you too ? suggestions ?

thanks

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #1277 on: December 19, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »

thanks
Vellum doesn't support tables. It's really geared for fiction, and most fiction doesn't use tables.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline yellowlycra

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 27, 2017, 04:34:16 AM »
Can i have the same front and back matter across all my titles in Vellum, without having to change each and every book file? any short cuts?

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 27, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
Can i have the same front and back matter across all my titles in Vellum, without having to change each and every book file? any short cuts?
There isn't an automated routine, but it's relatively easy to copy from one Vellum title to another as long as both are open at the same time. Some people have a separate file that's just front and back matter. Of course, if you change the front or back matter, you do have to manually copy the new material to each book. There isn't any way around that, yet.

The aggregator D2D has a system like that, but to use it you'd have to format through D2D rather than using Vellum.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline yellowlycra

• View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: December 28, 2017, 01:12:37 PM »
I have some text in bold in my docx file, which Vellum is reading as a chapter. how can i convert a chapter to main body of the book? newbie here :)

Offline RTW

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 29, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
How well does Vellum hyphenate? That's actually my #1 problem with using Word for typesetting, since Word 2016's idea of hyphenation includes, for example:
alt-
hough

and

re-
al

I'm not kidding.

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 01, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
I migrated to an old computer and can't install KindleGen.

If I go through the Vellum window, I click on Download and nothing happens.

I can go straight to Amazon and download KindleGen. Then I have to open it, open Terminal, and it's super complicated. Anyways, instructions followed. But it doesn't connect to Vellum. It's still asking me to downloand Kindlegen.

Does anyone know what I should do? It worked fine in the other computer.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 01, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
I have some text in bold in my docx file, which Vellum is reading as a chapter. how can i convert a chapter to main body of the book? newbie here :)
I'm not sure what you mean by main body, but what I do if Vellum misidentifies as a separate chapter is copy and paste to where I want it then delete the superfluous chapter.

The bolding shouldn't trigger a chapter break, though. It's usually spacing that causes that, at least in my experience.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 01, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »
How well does Vellum hyphenate? That's actually my #1 problem with using Word for typesetting, since Word 2016's idea of hyphenation includes, for example:
alt-
hough

and

re-
al

I'm not kidding.
Hmmm. I've never had that problem with Word. At times it does break a word that should be broken according to CMOS, like want-ed (because you can't break a word in such a way that only two letters go to the next line.

That said, I just ran through the first five chapters of a print version I made a little while ago with Vellum, and every hyphenation is in the right spot. There aren't as many as I would typically see with Word, I suspect in part because Vellum may adjust the kerning automatically to minimize the number. It does a lot of things you'd have to do by hand in word, which is one of the reasons it's faster.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, Vellum breaks words appropriately.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: January 01, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »

I can go straight to Amazon and download KindleGen. Then I have to open it, open Terminal, and it's super complicated. Anyways, instructions followed. But it doesn't connect to Vellum. It's still asking me to downloand Kindlegen.

I'm afraid that's a problem I haven't encountered. A regular Mac user can probably do better for you. One should respond soon.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #1286 on: January 01, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »

If you migrated to an older computer, I would suspect that the version of Java installed needs to be updated to the most recent version.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 01, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the answers!  ;)

I'll see what I can do.

Offline Quills

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:52 PM »
I'm having trouble with chapter headings when viewing a Vellum mobi file on my ipad kindle app. The chapter headings are all slightly off centre (to the right). I've checked the original word doc to make sure there isn't any additional hidden formatting but I'm not sure what else to look for. Any suggestions?

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 03, 2018, 07:36:14 PM »
I'm having trouble with chapter headings when viewing a Vellum mobi file on my ipad kindle app. The chapter headings are all slightly off centre (to the right). I've checked the original word doc to make sure there isn't any additional hidden formatting but I'm not sure what else to look for. Any suggestions?
I would recommend an experiment. Type a very small file with at least one chapter heading in Vellum, then create a mobi and see how it looks in the ipad kindle app. If it looks fine, the problem is with your source document. If not, then I'd recommend reaching out to Vellum tech support.

If the problem turns out to be with the source file, check and make sure your chapter style doesn't have a superfluous paragraph indent by mistake. I made exactly that mistake once, and it produces the chapter title slightly to the right. It's possible Vellum corrects that kind of formatting issue during conversion, but it would definitely be something to check.

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1290 on: January 05, 2018, 02:41:59 PM »
Happy New Year, everyone! Looks like we've got some questions to answer:

Unfortunately, when you sideload a mobi file into the Kindle app for iOS, it will display your book using Amazon's older mobi7 format. You won't see drop caps or ornaments, and mobi7 can be a bit...overzealous about indenting.

This won't affect readers who purchase your book through Amazon, though. To get an idea of what they'll see, we currently recommend making use of Kindle Previewer, available here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000765261

You shouldn't have to do anything special in order to get this to work. If you are still having issues, please contact us directly with any information you have about what is failing, and we'll help you install KindleGen.

How well does Vellum hyphenate?

For your print edition, Vellum will only hyphenate words if the "fragment" on either side of the hyphen is four or more letters. So, you won't see the kinds of unsightly examples that you've seen in Word.

If Vellum is creating a chapter break where you don't want one, you can merge chapters by selecting them both (click on one, hold down the Command key and click the other) and then choosing Chapter > Merge Selected Chapters from Vellum's main menu.
Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Offline Day Leitao

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 05, 2018, 03:39:42 PM »
If you migrated to an older computer, I would suspect that the version of Java installed needs to be updated to the most recent version.

Yes! That did the trick. Thank you so much for the tip.

Offline MongoMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 11, 2018, 10:56:27 PM »
Hi. I like Vellum a lot, but I am having the following issues. 

1. I finished writing a non-fiction book and it has the following structure:

cover
    copyright
    dedication
    Introduction
    Volume 1: <volume title goes here>
          chapter 1 title
          chapter 2 title
    Volume 2: <volume title goes here>
          Part 1:
               chapter 3 title
               chapter 4 title
               chapter 5 title
          Part 2:
               chapter 6 title
               chapter 7 title
               chapter 8 title

When I view the generated mobi file in the Kindle app and bring up the sliding contents panel after clicking on the hamburger icon that is located in the top left corner, I see that "Volume 1" and "Volume 2" have a caret symbol besides their names and are expandable and collapsible, but "Part 1" and "Part 2" are not. They don't have a caret symbol besides their names nor are their respective chapters indented to indicate that the respective chapters belong to their corresponding Parts.  How can I make the "Parts" behave and look the same way after export the book in vellum to mobi and see it in the Kindle app? By the way, the chapter titles for each "Part" is indented in the actual table of contents that is printed on the table of contents page in the book. It just is not indented in the table of contents panel that flies out when you click on the hamburger icon. Also, when I preview the table of contents within vellum by clicking on the hamburger icon that is located to the far right of the screen, I see the chapters indented for the "Parts" sections though.

2. Another issue that I am having is that I want to change the names of the Volume and Parts sections so that they look like this:

cover
    copyright
    dedication
    Introduction
    Part 1: <part title goes here>
          chapter 1 title
          chapter 2 title
    Part 2: <part title goes here>
          Section 1: <section title goes here>
               chapter 3 title
               chapter 4 title
               chapter 5 title
          Section 2: <section title goes here>
               chapter 6 title
               chapter 7 title
               chapter 8 title

I can change the Volume names to "Part 1" etc. by double clicking on the text and changing it and the headings for those pages change to "Part 1 <part title goes here>" etc., but when I change the "Part 1" or "Part 2" names to "Section 1: <section title goes here>" etc I see a "i." and "ii." placed before each "Section" name and in the previewer to the right, I still see "Part I" and "Part II" printed at the top of the screen as the heading.  Below it is shown the "Section <section title goes here>" title.  How can I make it so that the "Section: " is the heading of the that page instead of "Part I" or "Part II"?

3. The clickable table of contents that is shown in the actual book when viewing it in the Kindle app, but it does not have the title page, copyright, nor dedication page links, only the introduction page of the front mater. What do I need to do to make them appear there? Also I don't see the "title page" listed in the contents panel that slides out when you click on the hamburger icon in the top left corner. How can I make it appear here as well?

I am using the latest version of Kindle App.

Thanks for your help in advance.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:30:00 PM by MongoMan »

Offline MongoMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 12, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
No one knows the answer to my questions? This is very disappointing.  Such a waste of money. I'm considering buying Jutoh and using that instead.

Online Shelley K

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 12, 2018, 07:08:45 PM »
No one knows the answer to my questions? This is very disappointing.  Such a waste of money. I'm considering buying Jutoh and using that instead.

Did you email Vellum support?

Offline MongoMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 12, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot about having the option of emailing support. I'll do that too.

Offline Brad Andalman

• View Profile
    • Vellum
« Reply #1296 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »
Hi. I like Vellum a lot, but I am having the following issues. 

1. I finished writing a non-fiction book and it has the following structure:

[... structure elided...]

When I view the generated mobi file in the Kindle app and bring up the sliding contents panel after clicking on the hamburger icon that is located in the top left corner, I see that "Volume 1" and "Volume 2" have a caret symbol besides their names and are expandable and collapsible, but "Part 1" and "Part 2" are not.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the Kindle app - it will only show carets for one level of hierarchy. If this is important to you, we recommend logging a suggestion with KDP Support. We, too, would love it if they'd add this feature!

2. Another issue that I am having is that I want to change the names of the Volume and Parts sections so that they look like this:

[... structure elided ...]

I can change the Volume names to "Part 1" etc. by double clicking on the text and changing it and the headings for those pages change to "Part 1 <part title goes here>" etc., but when I change the "Part 1" or "Part 2" names to "Section 1: <section title goes here>" etc I see a "i." and "ii." placed before each "Section" name and in the previewer to the right, I still see "Part I" and "Part II" printed at the top of the screen as the heading.  Below it is shown the "Section <section title goes here>" title.  How can I make it so that the "Section: " is the heading of the that page instead of "Part I" or "Part II"?

To do this, you might be able to make use of Vellum's Terminology dialog:
https://help.vellum.pub/elements/parts/#terminology

Simply set the word for Volume to Part, and the word for Part to Section, and you should be able to achieve your desired structure.

3. The clickable table of contents that is shown in the actual book when viewing it in the Kindle app, but it does not have the title page, copyright, nor dedication page links, only the introduction page of the front mater. What do I need to do to make them appear there? Also I don't see the "title page" listed in the contents panel that slides out when you click on the hamburger icon in the top left corner. How can I make it appear here as well?

The Title Page, Copyright, and Dedication will not show up in your book's Table of Contents, much like in other professionally-published books. However, they still will show up in the logical TOC, which is what's shown when you click the hamburger icon in the top-left corner of your Kindle for Mac app.

Hope that helps!

If you have other, specific questions like this, we recommend getting in touch with us directly:
https://help.vellum.pub/contact/

Best,
Brad
Brad Andalman. Co-founder of 180g, creators of Vellum.

Offline nancyBirnes

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 15, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
The price drops by $50 a few days after I buy it? Come on, no fair!!

Ha-ha, I'm kidding! Love the program -- worth every penny -- and thanks for the update! You don't know how happy I am, the ability to change the text size in the editor is a game changer for me! Now I can set it to '36' and save my eyes :D

How do you enlarge the text for the editor? I have been away from the program for many months, due to a hard-drive failure and replacement. I know I used to do it, but now I can't find the command -- help?

Edited to add: It's in the Preferences. Sorry about that! Vellum is great. Hoping for internal links.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:50:48 PM by nancyBirnes »

Offline NikolasTorVald

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 15, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »
Love your guys software. I used it to format both of my novels and both of my short stories. It's definitely what I'll use in the future. The ease of use is awesome and the results are amazing.

Nikolas TorVald | nikolastorvald.com

Offline jonauthor

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 17, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »

thanks

First, in the time since this thread started Vellum is used by fiction & non-fiction, so the previous commenter who stated that it was intended for fiction is wrong or perhaps misinformed.

While Vellum doesn't support tables in the traditional fashion this is easily solved and I've done it for all three of my non-fiction books and I plan on doing it for all future ones that use tables.

The secret?  Create the table in Word or whatever program you want and then create a JPEG or other image of the table. Then simply import that image into the proper location. The benefit of this is the table format and look won't be screwed up by ebook or other publishing formats/websites.

It's easy, clean and has worked beautifully in my books.