Author Topic: Vellum: the official thread  (Read 174705 times)  

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Vellum: the official thread
« Reply #1375 on: April 07, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
Hi there! I've read the last 30 pages and didn't see this question.  I have a PC, so I'm using MacinCloud. I've created a docx on the PC,  uploaded to google docs, opened MacinCloud, downloaded the google doc, and loaded it into Vellum. I'd like to move the finished Vellum file back to my PC so that I can do the whole loading into KDP (setting prices, choosing keywords, etc) from there and not pay for the time on Macincloud. Will the Vellum doc go back through google docs and onto my PC without changes? Do I need to move it through Dropbox instead? Thanks.

ETA: I'd also like to check the file on the different apps from my PC, instead of doing it on the Mac. Is this possible?
Personally, I use Dropbox for that. I'm sure whatever Google Drive is called these days would work. Any cloud storage accessible on both platforms should do that.

The files you generate with Vellum (mobi, PDF, the various kinds of EPUBs) are all readable by the appropriate apps in the PC. I get on a Mac to do the file conversions in Vellum, then do the checking, uploading, etc. on my PC.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
For some odd reason, I updated only the eBook cover on a file today and when I went to convert it into a Kindle and generic epub, the Kindle version doesn't show the cover. (yes, it meets requirements.) 

It's very frustrating and I don't want to have to redo the entire file. *sigh*  ???

Okay, so I went ahead and redid the entire file and re-uploaded the book cover and now it is finally showing on the Kindle version. Whew....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:15:11 PM by SA_Soule »

Offline Sophie Kisker

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 07, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »
@Bill Hiatt - thank you.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 07, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »
@Bill Hiatt - thank you.
You're welcome!

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #1379 on: April 09, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »
Hi there! I've read the last 30 pages and didn't see this question.  I have a PC, so I'm using MacinCloud. I've created a docx on the PC,  uploaded to google docs, opened MacinCloud, downloaded the google doc, and loaded it into Vellum. I'd like to move the finished Vellum file back to my PC so that I can do the whole loading into KDP (setting prices, choosing keywords, etc) from there and not pay for the time on Macincloud. Will the Vellum doc go back through google docs and onto my PC without changes? Do I need to move it through Dropbox instead? Thanks.

ETA: I'd also like to check the file on the different apps from my PC, instead of doing it on the Mac. Is this possible?

Just stating this based on what I think I understood from your post:

The Vellum file is merely the file that Vellum uses to store all the book's information that it then uses to create ebook files. You do not actually upload the Vellum file to the retailers as an ebook.

What you want to be uploading are the ebook files that Vellum generates from that data for each of the platforms---Kindle, iOS, Kobo, and generic ebook readers.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Online Nancy Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: April 14, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
Help! I'm getting some books printed for a conference and sent the Vellum print file (pdf) to the printer who came back with this note:

"
Also the text pages have been saved in full colour which means that the black is made up of the 4 printing colours.

This needs to be amended, so that it is black only."

I can't find anything in Velllum help that explains how to do this. How do I make the print files black black? Anyone?

tia, Nancy

Nancy Warren | Newsletter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 14, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
Help! I'm getting some books printed for a conference and sent the Vellum print file (pdf) to the printer who came back with this note:

"
Also the text pages have been saved in full colour which means that the black is made up of the 4 printing colours.

This needs to be amended, so that it is black only."

I can't find anything in Velllum help that explains how to do this. How do I make the print files black black? Anyone?

tia, Nancy
The problem may lie with your source material. Try selecting the entire text in Word, then changing the font color to black. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's possible you have something nonblack somewhere in the document. If verifying the font color doesn't work, try page color and similar settings. Because Word has the capability of generating a document in color, it's occasionally possible to introduce color without realizing it.

I assume you have no graphics. If you did, they'd almost certainly be the culprits.

Offline Seneca77

• Tampa Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 14, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on Vellum (after fighting with InDesign and Scrivener for too long). Quick question...should I be paying attention to paragraph styles, formatting, etc. in Word before I import my MS? Or will Vellum format everything correctly regardless of what the Word doc looks like? If it matters, it's a novel, straight text, no images.

Thank you!
 - Bob
R.W. Harrison
Author of "The Onyx Seed"
A supernatural thriller set in upstate New York just after World War II

Online Nancy Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 14, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »
The problem may lie with your source material. Try selecting the entire text in Word, then changing the font color to black. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's possible you have something nonblack somewhere in the document. If verifying the font color doesn't work, try page color and similar settings. Because Word has the capability of generating a document in color, it's occasionally possible to introduce color without realizing it.

I assume you have no graphics. If you did, they'd almost certainly be the culprits.

Thank you, Bill! I've tried doing what you said and I'll resubmit the file. Fingers crossed and really appreciate the quick response!

best, Nancy

Nancy Warren | Newsletter

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on Vellum (after fighting with InDesign and Scrivener for too long). Quick question...should I be paying attention to paragraph styles, formatting, etc. in Word before I import my MS? Or will Vellum format everything correctly regardless of what the Word doc looks like? If it matters, it's a novel, straight text, no images.

Thank you!
 - Bob

It formats everything. Unless you have some odd manual formatting already. I can think of two things that will throw it:

1. If you arrange your paragraphs in Word by using a double return to give you a line of white space between paragraphs, that might cause some problems, thinking each additional space is a paragraph space. But otherwise it will allow you to decide if you want indents or white space.

2. If you've made your own indents using the tab button, this may create larger indents in Vellum. If you've used the settings in the ruler, again, it'll be fine.

Both ebooks and print. Awesome.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline Seneca77

• Tampa Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 14, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »
It formats everything. Unless you have some odd manual formatting already. I can think of two things that will throw it:

1. If you arrange your paragraphs in Word by using a double return to give you a line of white space between paragraphs, that might cause some problems, thinking each additional space is a paragraph space. But otherwise it will allow you to decide if you want indents or white space.

2. If you've made your own indents using the tab button, this may create larger indents in Vellum. If you've used the settings in the ruler, again, it'll be fine.

Both ebooks and print. Awesome.

Thank you very much! I'm moments away from bringing my MS in. Excited to have something that works relatively easily.

- Bob
R.W. Harrison
Author of "The Onyx Seed"
A supernatural thriller set in upstate New York just after World War II

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 15, 2018, 06:17:04 AM »
I busted my 2017 MBP and I can't afford to get another one right now. So I'm looking at a cheap, $200, 2009 Plastic MacBook (for ebooks only). It's updated to High Serra. But I'm still wondering if Vellum will work with it. The site doesn't have any minimum requirements, it just lists the last three major macOS updates.

It has 4GB of RAM and a Intel Core 2 Duo 26GHz. I feel like the program shouldn't be too demanding, but what do I know? It's an awesome piece of software. I know it worked fine on my 2011 iMac, but that had an i5 and 16GB of RAM.

My books are around 80k words. I don't know if bigger documents matter.

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »
I busted my 2017 MBP and I can't afford to get another one right now. So I'm looking at a cheap, $200, 2009 Plastic MacBook (for ebooks only). It's updated to High Serra. But I'm still wondering if Vellum will work with it. The site doesn't have any minimum requirements, it just lists the last three major macOS updates.

It has 4GB of RAM and a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz. I feel like the program shouldn't be too demanding, but what do I know? It's an awesome piece of software. I know it worked fine on my 2011 iMac, but that had an i5 and 16GB of RAM.

Anyone? Is everyone using new Macs?  :D

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 16, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »

It has 4GB of RAM and a Intel Core 2 Duo 26GHz. I feel like the program shouldn't be too demanding, but what do I know? It's an awesome piece of software. I know it worked fine on my 2011 iMac, but that had an i5 and 16GB of RAM.

Vellum should run on El Capitan and any later updates, though I'm using Sierra on an older system, not High Sierra, so I can't speak from experience.

I can say that bigger documents don't matter. One of mine was around 200k and worked fine.

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:14 AM »
Vellum should run on El Capitan and any later updates, though I'm using Sierra on an older system, not High Sierra, so I can't speak from experience.

I can say that bigger documents don't matter. One of mine was around 200k and worked fine.
Thanks. I'm going to give it a try  :)

Offline bananaz88

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 16, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
Sorry if this has already been covered.

Can someone please tell me why Vellum generated my ebooks but didn't save an original file?

I kept pressing file save throughout the entire process. I've proofed and added back matter directly through Vellum. Does this mean all my work is lost or is there a way to retrieve the original file through the generated files?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 16, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »

Can someone please tell me why Vellum generated my ebooks but didn't save an original file?

I kept pressing file save throughout the entire process. I've proofed and added back matter directly through Vellum. Does this mean all my work is lost or is there a way to retrieve the original file through the generated files?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, your original Vellum file is there somewhere. You just have to find where you have placed it on your hard drive. Despite what some non-technical computer users think, a program will only make a suggestion about where to save a file. (Microsoft Word, for example, when it is first installed on your computer, will generally suggest that you save your Word documents in your "Documents" folder.) If you don't like where the program suggests, you can place your file somewhere else and it will stay there. You, the user, have the final say, but only if you know the basics of how to navigate around your file system.

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 16, 2018, 12:38:11 PM »

Thank you in advance.
That's odd. Could it have saved to another location? I've never had that happen to me with any Mac program.

Offline bananaz88

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 16, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
Thank you both for replying!

I found it...in my trash of all places. Now I feel dumb.
First time experience with Vellum, so I automatically blamed the program. Didn't want to believe the user was to blame. Not sure how it ended up in my trash, but if anyone has this problem in the future, you know where to look.

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 16, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Thank you both for replying!

I found it...in my trash of all places. Now I feel dumb.
First time experience with Vellum, so I automatically blamed the program. Didn't want to believe the user was to blame. Not sure how it ended up in my trash, but if anyone has this problem in the future, you know where to look.
Be careful! And look into Dropbox. All of my files save to the cloud (you can set it up to do this automatically if you download the app and save all files to the Dropbox folder). Some kind of online backup solution is a must for writers  ;)

Offline Andres

• View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: April 24, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »
I noticed that my Look Inside on Amazon.com does not have the right ornamental breaks (it's just showing three stars) and the first letter of each Chapter is also not appearing on the Look Inside. Apologies if this issue has been discussed by I can't find it. Is there any way to make the Look Inside appear properly? I bought my own book and on my Kindle, I do see the proper Vellum formatting.

Thanks!

Andres Pelenur | facebook | twitter

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
Vellum just keeps getting better and better
« Reply #1396 on: April 24, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
Vellum 2.2 just came out.

Among other things: choose your own ornamental break images.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »
I noticed that my Look Inside on Amazon.com does not have the right ornamental breaks (it's just showing three stars) and the first letter of each Chapter is also not appearing on the Look Inside. Apologies if this issue has been discussed by I can't find it. Is there any way to make the Look Inside appear properly? I bought my own book and on my Kindle, I do see the proper Vellum formatting.

Thanks!
The Look Inside is often set up using an older version of the code that doesn't display the Vellum features well. If you point this out to the KDP folks, they will fix it for you--eventually. It may take a few rounds of emails. I had an odd situation in which a book displayed correctly on the UK Look Inside but not on the US one. I kept getting messages that the two Look Insides were now identical, and I had to keep emailing back with screenshots to show just how nonidentical they were. They did get it squared away eventually.

Offline D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 25, 2018, 01:51:43 PM »
Got the old MacBook from Ebay and I have to hand it to Vellum's developers. This program works just as well on this relic as it did on my 2017 MBP (RIP). No spinning beachballs of death, lock-ups, or anything. Also the program opens super fast, even on an HDD, much faster than Word 2016. The machine only has 4GBs of RAM.

So if any non-Mac users are reading this thread: You don't have to spend a fortune to run this program. Just grab a used 2010 MacBook from Ebay for under $200 :D

Offline Andres

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: April 25, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »
The Look Inside is often set up using an older version of the code that doesn't display the Vellum features well. If you point this out to the KDP folks, they will fix it for you--eventually. It may take a few rounds of emails. I had an odd situation in which a book displayed correctly on the UK Look Inside but not on the US one. I kept getting messages that the two Look Insides were now identical, and I had to keep emailing back with screenshots to show just how nonidentical they were. They did get it squared away eventually.

Bill,
Thanks for your insight. I'll do the same and reach out to customer support. Thanks.

Andres Pelenur | facebook | twitter