Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Request: Add a LIKE button to KBoards posts!  (Read 7812 times)  

Online Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Request: Add a LIKE button to KBoards posts!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »
Count me as being in favor of a like button. If there were one already, I would have simply clicked "Like" on Myra's post and not have to resort to using words.

Wait.....

What???
NINC President-Elect, 2018. My Amazon Bestselling, eleven-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »
LOL!

There were a couple I read today that I would have "Liked" but I didn't really have a reason to comment on.  Lydniz being chained to the radiator was one...

Offline a_g

• The South
  • in the dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 05:55:06 AM »
LOL!

There were a couple I read today that I would have "Liked" but I didn't really have a reason to comment on.  Lydniz being chained to the radiator was one...

And had there been a like button, I would have liked this instead of clicking quick reply, saying I liked this comment and having to hit post, thereby leaving yet ANOTHER comment in a string of comments that has nothing more really to contribute than to say 'this was good, you are good and you should be proud.'

Any time the topic of Like buttons come up, I always remember the "Dr. Samuel Johnson is right about Olsen Johnson being right" segment of Blazing Saddles.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:02:05 AM by a_g »
Urban Fantasy numbah one: 10%

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 06:05:43 AM »
The best thing about a like button is that it encourages the lurkers to participate.  We have a huge list of members that come here every day that don't have any posts- a like button helps to get them involved.

There doesn't seem to be a date set, but it looks like the next version of SMF will be out later this year with the feature in core.  Maybe you can test it then.

(I will also throw in that the most popular thing I ever did for a forum was add more smileys.  People would say, I post here instead of the other forum because the smileys are better! It was funny.)

You are welcome to my old collection of  emoties if you want them!  I have tons.

I AM STEALING THEM ALL MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, one of the first things I did when I set up the eFestival site was go find Star Wars emoties

Having seen how some people on Amazon use the downvote option to attack other reviewers, I think a dislike option would actually discourage participation.

Question: theoretically, would the "like" button have the same affect as posting for purposes of "show new replies"?

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline MyraScott

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »
For you, Julie!

And no, generally a like button would not make the thread show up in the new replies list.

TobiasRoote

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:11 AM »
There are so many people on here that deserve a LIKE button, and a 'THANK YOU' button as well as a 'YOU ROCK' button that I think it would be an excellent decision to give people some feedback on how much they mean to the people on KB. So, one more vote FOR.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 09:36:17 AM »
I'm on another forum where there is a like button. I tend to use it to indicate that I've seen an addition to a conversation I'm participating in, appreciate the post, but don't have anything particular to say in response. It's convenient shortcut. It's also a quick way to show appreciation for particularly funny, supportive, or helpful posts.

But that's a small place where there are no significant arguments. I don't think a like button would work that way, here -- at least not consistently. I think it'd turn into more of an obnoxious popularity-contest kind of thing and a way of ganging up during arguments. KB is, all in all, a friendly, helpful board, but there are clear factions on a number of issues, and people can get pretty exercised on those topics. Also, I think KB members generally like one another, but there are obviously exceptions to that rule. I think a like button would increase existing tendencies to factionalism and cliqueishness. It might even run minority viewpoints off the board. How would like to be the person getting 5 likes in a piracy/self-editing/whatever argument while your "opponent" gets 1,159? I think that'd be embarrassing and uncomfortable. It'd underline the idea that we're opponents trying to win debates, not a diverse group of people trying to arrive at best practices through sharing and testing different ideas. I'd rather not turn positions into a numbers game. I'd rather promote reasoning, evidence, and careful explanation.

So ... shortcuts are nice, yeah, but all in all, the time a like button would save is pretty minimal. I don't think it's worth the risk in this environment.

Offline Sylvia R. Frost

• here and there
  • dreamer of dangerous dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 07:36:41 PM »
At first I was pro like, but after reading Becca Mill's opinion I'm heading against it. Ahhhh. So hard to pick.

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »
I'm on another forum where there is a like button. I tend to use it to indicate that I've seen an addition to a conversation I'm participating in, appreciate the post, but don't have anything particular to say in response. It's convenient shortcut. It's also a quick way to show appreciation for particularly funny, supportive, or helpful posts.

But that's a small place where there are no significant arguments. I don't think a like button would work that way, here -- at least not consistently. I think it'd turn into more of an obnoxious popularity-contest kind of thing and a way of ganging up during arguments. KB is, all in all, a friendly, helpful board, but there are clear factions on a number of issues, and people can get pretty exercised on those topics. Also, I think KB members generally like one another, but there are obviously exceptions to that rule. I think a like button would increase existing tendencies to factionalism and cliqueishness. It might even run minority viewpoints off the board. How would like to be the person getting 5 likes in a piracy/self-editing/whatever argument while your "opponent" gets 1,159? I think that'd be embarrassing and uncomfortable. It'd underline the idea that we're opponents trying to win debates, not a diverse group of people trying to arrive at best practices through sharing and testing different ideas. I'd rather not turn positions into a numbers game. I'd rather promote reasoning, evidence, and careful explanation.

So ... shortcuts are nice, yeah, but all in all, the time a like button would save is pretty minimal. I don't think it's worth the risk in this environment.

Hmmm. Becca makes a compelling argument against the LIKE button. Swayed me! I change my vote! (Wait! Were we voting here?) anyhoodles, I don't like to see anyone feel bad.   :'(   If not getting LIKES does that to some people, I'm now against it.

Thanks, Becca, for taking the time to play out that scenario.

Offline cbaku

• Humboldt County
  • Red cowboy boots: wearing.
    • View Profile
    • Carla Baku
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
Co-sign! Every time I come onto kboards I wish for a Like button. Facebook, you have trained me well.  :P
Carla Baku

"All around her the day looked as she might have expected, bright, the sun just skimming through the eastern peaks, the up-and-down song of little yellow-throated birds. In that moment she understood the nature of her life: an outlier."

~Chasing Down the Moon

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
I vote yes for a like button, no way for a dislike (why encourage negativity?), and definitely for more smileys.

Offline MyraScott

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
It would be nice, but ultimately, it's up to Harvey.

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 12:39:37 PM »

Still against the "Like" button for this and other reasons.
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
Ultimately, it's up to Harvey....but I shudder every time this comes up.  As someone who was never part of the "cool kids," I just see it as another popularity contest, sorry.  Yeah, clicking "like" will make the recipient feel good, but what about the people who get no likes for their posts?

Sigh.

Betsy

Another non-cool kid here. My threads sink into the netherworld with few replies, but I like the like button. I feel silly to post when all I want to say is "thanks" or "I agree" so a like button would be a great way to do just that without having to start a post when I'm not really adding anything to the discussion.

I don't like the reputation/karma points, etc. That I do believe becomes a popularity contest and people get caught up into all that jazz. But a nice simple "like" button would be nice.

I actually keep forgetting Kboards doesn't have a like button, so for a second I go to click on it since so many other forums have them and then I remember, oh yeah, not one there.

And I agree about not having a dislike button. The old adage, "if you don't have anything nice to say... " There is enough negativity online.

Offline DRMarvello

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
    • The Vaetra Files
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
I use the like button on other forums to show my appreciation or agreement. Like Becca, I also use it to acknowledge a reply to one of my own posts when I don't have anything particular to say in response. On one forum, the Like button doesn't just show a number, it shows exactly who "liked" the comment. Although that level of detail would probably become unwieldy on KBoards, it really makes the "like" more personal and fun, IMO.

I belong to one forum that has both "Agree" (thumbs up) and "Disagree" (thumbs down) buttons. I've never used the disagree button because I think just saying I disagree is kind of useless. If I disagree, I should probably explain why I disagree. I don't think the same is true of agreement, if the post you Liked has already said what you wanted to say.

I don't see how like buttons make a popularity contest more or less likely. If you agree, you agree, whether you pressed a Like button or posted a supportive comment. The end result is the same. So what if one post gets a lot more likes than the other? That tells us that most liked post has the most agreement. How is that a bad thing? Would it really discourage the person who got fewer likes from posting again? I doubt it. We already have that effect here now with posts that get completely ignored.

I guess what I'm saying is that like buttons won't introduce anything that isn't happening already. It will just make it easier for members who want to show their support. It's a shame we actually think showing support is going to turn into a bad thing.

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »
+0

(Doesn't really bother me if you add such a feature, I suppose, but doubt that I'd use it, as I'm more inclined to want to write some pithy, witty, or at least verbose reply to a thread rather than clicking a button to anonymously indicate that I liked or approved of it, even if said post had ridiculously run-on sentences that, in the end, really didn't make much of a point or provide anything useful to the ongoing commentary, more or less just being a complete waste of screen space, internet bandwidth, and forum members' time.) *

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »
I absolutely hate the idea of a like button on KB. Hate it.

Right now we are all the same. Put a like button in place and the field gets sorted into groups and fractions. Its what happens. It is a popularity contest. Some will get their friends to always like their posts and others more shy posters will just figure why bother posting when all the popular and "cool kids" are already posting and they have so many likes.
The more popular posters will always get the chunk of those.

I just think it will cause hurt feelings. It puts more value and weight on some posters and therefore splits the tables up into cool and not cool.

Just the potential of that happening is a turn off for me. And how is that going to get someone to interact more. It would be the opposite. Why bother to form a post and thoughts if all one has to do is hit a button. I prefer reading peoples words, even if they are repeats, its still their words. Its how we get to know folks here.

Just don't like it. Just thought I had to put my voice here since so many seem to like the idea.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline DRMarvello

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
    • The Vaetra Files
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 08:28:57 AM »
I just think it will cause hurt feelings. It puts more value and weight on some posters and therefore splits the tables up into cool and not cool.

...And how is that going to get someone to interact more. It would be the opposite.

KBoards already has all of the above. Members are *not* all the same. (Every forum has this problem to some degree--every gathering of people anywhere has this problem to some degree). Will Like buttons make it worse? Are we really so petty that we would turn a show of support into a popularity contest? How we answer that question shows how we really feel about the other members here.

I don't think adding Like buttons would *cause* a problem, but I agree there's a risk they could exacerbate an existing problem. The mods are in the best position to evaluate that risk, based on past behavior of the members.

I can see removing like buttons because they are causing problems, but I can't see avoiding like buttons because we are afraid of something that *might* happen. I'm willing to have a little faith in members using them responsibly.

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »
Can someone explain to me what I, as a user of this forum, gain by knowing how many people liked a post (or thread)? Am I supposed to use those like counts to determine what I read or do not read here? Is it simply to stroke my ego if/when a bunch of people like one of my posts?

It's not like a Facebook "like" which actually affects who sees which posts on their page, and it's not as if this is a place like StackOverflow where it can help to know which answers to a given question are most highly regarded. (Okay, caveat to that last statement: maybe that holds true in some of the sub-forums I don't frequent, such as the WC or others where users may be looking for answers/opinions versus mainly socializing and reviewing books?)

So, I guess I'm curious as to what added value those in favor of this feature really think they'll get from it: will it truly affect what you read here and how you read it?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:00:00 AM by NogDog »

Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline DRMarvello

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
    • The Vaetra Files
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 11:52:58 AM »
So, I guess I'm curious as to what added value those in favor of this feature really think they'll get from it: will it truly affect what you read here and how you read it?
Before I try to answer, let me make it clear that I'm not really championing this idea. I just happen to enjoy how like buttons work on another forum. If the mods think they would be a bad idea for KBoards, I won't be disappointed. If the mods do add them, I'll use them.

Anyway, I'll try to answer your question based on the experiences I've had elsewhere.

Like buttons have not changed what threads I read because likes are at the individual comment level rather than the thread level. I've also never scanned through a thread looking for the comments that got the most likes, so I'd say they haven't affected how I read threads either. In fact, I skim more here on KBoards, wading through the "me too" and "this" comments to find the comments with more detailed remarks.

As for benefits, I think that might depend upon the implementation. As I said earlier, the Like buttons I'm used to actually list the members who clicked the like button. The benefits for me have been threefold:
* Convenience: When I'm reading a thread, I sometimes come across a comment that makes me LOL or that is worded in a way that eloquently states my position on a subject. I don't have anything more to add to the conversation, but I'd like to express my appreciation to the author of the comment, so I click the Like button.
* Acknowledgement: If someone responds to one of my comments, I like to acknowledge them, but sometimes all I have to say is "thanks." When that happens I click the Like button to show my appreciation for their response.
* Vote of Confidence: It's nice to know when others agree with one of my own comments. Likes let me see who shares my view of a position and it lets me I know I'm not the only person who feels that way.

So, in my experience, Likes don't have a lot of value at the global level. They are more of a personal connection between the person posting the comment and the person clicking the Like button. I see Like buttons as a convenient way of posting a "thumbs-up" comment without having to litter the thread with thumbs-up comments.

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
I guess I can see some of that, but for me, personally, I seldom feel the need to give an "amen" or a thanks to the vast majority of posts here, and in those few instances have no problem typing something out (usually a bit more than just a "me, too" or "thanks" -- see my prior self-jest about verbosity :) ). So as far as I'm concerned, if enough people really feel the need for a such a feature, fine: it won't really affect me one way or the other, I think. I prefer to err on the side of keeping the interface as clean and simple as possible; but then when have I ever seen a web forum that was? ;)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
In reading back through this thread today, I notice that the members who really want a "like" button are those who stay/post mainly in the Writer's Caf and those who don't want it post regularly across all of the KBoards' forums.

Harvey, if you decide to pursue this option, maybe it could be implemented only in the Caf?  Just a thought.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 04:25:05 PM »
Hmm... possibly, and it's a good thought. I think I am inclined to keep things as consistent as possible across the different boards of the forum. Thank you though!
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 06:53:34 AM »
I'm on record as not really wanting a "Like" button...but if Harvey decides that it's a good idea, I think it makes  sense to have it across the forum.  After all, there is no requirement that it be used, but people who use it in one area will look for it in others.  Consistency across the forum makes sense to me.

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
And I'm going to create some more accounts using different email addresses so that I can make sure all my posts have at least a couple likes, as my ego always needs reinforcing -- even if I'm the only one who will reinforce it. ;)

PS: Not really: I'm too lazy to do all that extra work.