KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Encouraging words from Hugh Howey  (Read 3179 times)  

Offline Nancy Warren

• View Profile
Re: Encouraging words from Hugh Howey
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »
I can't stop checking until mid-March. That will be my 2-year self-publishing anniversary and I'm also heading towards an important sales milestone. It's going to be a close thing but I'm hoping to squeak past the milestone before that date. ;D

Ooh, good luck Lydniz, I hope you hit your milestone and share. How exciting!

@Nico LOL.

Nancy

Nancy Warren | Newsletter

Princess Charming

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »
I've been writing for publication for five years and have developed these terrible habits:

1. Checking sales at three places
2. Checking Kboards
3. Checking FB
4. Checking DWS
5. Eating candy
6. Opening the door for the cat

Online Jen Rasmussen

• View Profile
    • jenrasmussen.com
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
I've been writing for publication for five years and have developed these terrible habits:

1. Checking sales at three places
2. Checking Kboards
3. Checking FB
4. Checking DWS
5. Eating candy
6. Opening the door for the cat

Wait, what? We're not supposed to eat candy?

I may need to rethink this.

Jen Rasmussen | Website

Offline Mystery Maven

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
I have to disagree with Hugh. I don't have someone else to keep track for me, and I think it's very important to keep an eye on my businessboth the dashboard and the reviews.

Recently I noticed several reviews stating they wished there was another book in my series out. There is another book, and I link to it at the end of the first book. Based on those reviews, I made that clearer and easier to see.

That's just one example. Didn't someone recently say her book went off sale with no notice? How would you catch that if you didn't check? Or a permafree going back to paid?

How would I know which ads were effective? Or spot an abnormal amount of returns?

It would be great to just focus on my writing, but I can't afford to be blind to my business, or even just check every month, few months, etc. Agility is our main advantage as indies! I have to know what's going on in order to be agile, to adapt.

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
I do believe he means don't obsess over the dashboard.    I have seen many authors do that.   
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline Kay Bratt

• www.kaybratt.com
    • View Profile
    • www.kaybratt.com
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 02:04:09 PM »
Unless I have a new release, I only check my numbers once at the middle of the month, then once at the end before they disappear. I broke the 'check every day' habit a while back and it certainly does free up a lot of energy that comes from the ups and downs.

Use that time (if you need a filler) to study the market. Surf Amazon, GoodReads, the bookstore. Check out the best-selling books in your genre. If you don't have time to actually read the book, then read the blurbs. Study the covers. See what the reviews are saying about why readers liked or disliked the story. Research WHY is it a best-seller? I know we can't always find the formula but seeing what readers are buying is something that can impact your career in a positive way. 

Kay Bratt, Capturing the Heart of Humanity | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 02:18:13 PM »
As far as I can see, a certain low level of obsession over the dashboard is OK. It's some people's obsession with rankings that does my head in. Rankings are all artificial and relative and unless you're in the top 25 of a really popular genre, matter squat. And if you're in the top 25 of a really popular genre, you're probably selling so much that you've given up checking a lot anyway.

Offline CJAnderson

• United States
  • Lover of Sci-Fi
    • View Profile
    • Amazon
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
Another great (in my opinion) post by Hugh:

"The key to making it as a writer is to write a lot, write great stories, publish them yourself, spend more time writing, study the industry, act like a pro, network, be nice, invest in yourself and your craft, and be patient. If you can do all of these things, youll earn some money. Maybe enough to pay a bill every month. Maybe enough to get out of debt. Maybe enough to quit your job. Thousands of writers are doing this, and we are welcoming all comers with open arms."

Read the full article here http://www.hughhowey.com/my-advice-to-aspiring-authors/

Offline Lottie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »
This is great advice. I'm a total newbie, and I'm running a free promotion that's launched me into the top 100 for my genre. Because of this, I'm checking my reports every few minutes (even though it only seems to update every 10-15 as far as I can tell!), and it's taking me out of my writing. I'm a very fast writer, and if I don't have anything going on I can easily put out 6,000+ words in a day. But what do I keep doing? Checking my reports and rank. Over and over and over again.

My promotion will end after tonight. My rank will go back into paid, and I'll probably have abysmal sales when that happens. I'm at a high right now, but that's not going to last forever. I need to stop checking and focus on my writing. I wish I could get out of this mindset, but I'm not sure how. Maybe it just takes some time.