Author Topic: Is KDP Chump Change for Chumps?  (Read 39079 times)  

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
Re: Is KDP Chump Change for Chumps?
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »
If you want it to be a business, study the market, find your place in it, develop a strategy and execute it.

It will have the same rate of success any other business does.

And millions of businesses fail every year too. Hence the "not everyone can make money at writing."

You can open a pizza place, but if you fail to find enough customers who buy your pizza, you won't make money.  You can paint fine art or murals on children's room ceilings and if you can't find enough customers, you won't make money.  Any business that relies on you to find your customer base (instead of being given a check for hours worked) is dependent on the work you do to make it succeed.

The OP's original request was along the line of, "I've followed all the rules, where's my money?"

Offline Evan of the R.

• Kneel before the Almighty Algos
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »
... but McDonald's has 1.7 million employees. 23 million/1.7 million = $13.5. An extra $13.5 increase in annual salary is 5c per working day.

Like I said, this is not the "same lame argument." It's a very different situation.

(To clarify, the argument is not that higher compensation for regular McDonald's employees should come out of that $23 million paid to those 5 highly paid executives, or even other executive compensation. As Bloomberg has pointed out, McDonald's spent $14,286 *per restaurant worker* on share repurchases and dividends last year. That $14,286 *per restaurant worker* could have covered a raise of a few dollars per hour for every minimum-wage employee  and still paid for lots of share repurchases and dividends.)

As writers, we are a very different case. I'm with Wayne on writing more, writing better, and putting out the best product you can. And if it's not working, you can try something else until it does work.

Is KDP chump change for chumps? No way. There are a lot of people making a living via self-publishing. It can definitely work as a business.

The thing is that a lot of how much we earn on KDP (and elsewhere) is really up to us and our own efforts. That's why our situation is not akin to McDonald's employees, and our complaints, grievances and options are very different from theirs.

Offline Joe Vasicek

• Anywhere but Earth
  • May all your dreams come true, save one
    • View Profile
    • One Thousand and One Parsecs
« Reply #377 on: March 24, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
I count at least four times this thread has jumped the shark. Now, all we need to round it out is an argument about healthcare, or how the EU is within 12 to 36 months of complete collapse.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #378 on: March 24, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
I count at least four times this thread has jumped the shark. Now, all we need to round it out is an argument about healthcare, or how the EU is within 12 to 36 months of complete collapse.

There's the fifth. I'm impressed that this thread hasn't been locked down and left for dead.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2015, 08:40:10 AM »
Well, we tried--there were parts of it that were very, very good....

I suppose it is time.

Locking thread so we can all move on.  Anyone who wants to make a compelling argument, PM me.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store