Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Entering Links, Seeing all Your Threads  (Read 1321 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Entering Links, Seeing all Your Threads
« on: March 27, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »
Hi,

Two quick questions:

1. I'm used to some other forum software that allows me to either just add a link, and have it automatically set up to show the title of the page linked to, or let me highlight some text, click Add Link, enter the URL in a dialog box, and have it automatically change the text into a link to the page. Like this.

Here, I have to edit the URL into the tag into the BBC. I'm not complaining, and I realize the added effort is very slight. I'm just checking to make sure I haven't missed anything.

2. For other forums I can have a bookmark that takes me right to my subscribed threads. Here I can view a page with new replies to my posts, but if there are no new replies, the thread isn't listed (sometimes one wants to add to a thread). Is there a way to get what I want?

These are minor quibbles!

Thanks,

Al
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:45:44 AM by Harvey »

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
Re: Entering Links, Seeing all Your Threads
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »
Hi,

Two quick questions:

1. I'm used to some other forum software that allows me to either just add a link, and have it automatically set up to show the title of the page linked to, or let me highlight some text, click Add Link, enter the URL in a dialog box, and have it automatically change the text into a link to the page. Like this.

Here, I have to edit the URL into the tag into the BBC. I'm not complaining, and I realize the added effort is very slight. I'm just checking to make sure I haven't missed anything.

You are correct that we don't have the feature to automatically pull the page title as the link text.

The second scenario you describe, though, is supported, but only when you are in WYSIWYG mode (using the toggle button ). When in that mode, you can select text in a post, then click the "insert hyperlink" button (), and a pop-up window will ask you for the desired URL to link that text to.

2. For other forums I can have a bookmark that takes me right to my subscribed threads. Here I can view a page with new replies to my posts, but if there are no new replies, the thread isn't listed (sometimes one wants to add to a thread). Is there a way to get what I want?

We don't have a very good "subscribe" option. We do have the following options available:

a. You can click the "Notify" button while viewing a thread. This will cause you to be notified via email when there is a new post to that thread.

b. You can click the "Add Bookmark" button when viewing a thread. You can view all of your bookmarked threads by clicking Bookmarks from the KBoards menu bar.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I hope that helps!

-Harvey
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:59:22 AM by Harvey »
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
Perfect. Thanks, Harvey. I'm glad I asked.

Seeing my threads would help. Today I wanted to add something to a thread I'd started, but since there were no new replies, I had to root around and search.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »
Al,

one other thing, which might help you right now since you don't have many posts--you can go to your profile using the top menu and click on "Show Posts" under "Profile Info" to see all of your posts.  Then click on the heading to go directly to that post.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
Thanks, Betsy, that will help, and was pretty much what I was looking for. I never would have found that.

I have now changed my bookmark for this site to: http://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=83378
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:35:43 PM by TromboneAl »

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac