Author Topic: Sales tanked after moving book from SW to BN  (Read 764 times)  

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
Sales tanked after moving book from SW to BN
« on: April 04, 2015, 08:59:51 PM »
This title was selling 5-10 copies a day in the Nook store through Smashwords. I figured I'd get paid faster, so I unpublished from SW and moved it to Nookpress. There was maybe half a day of actual down time, because of how I timed everything. Could that really have affected sales? Or does SW have some magic powers that I wasn't aware of? Do you think it's worth emailing my concerns to the BN team? Can someone give me a hug?

Sigh.

Connect With Me: WebsiteFacebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
  • ...should be working on WIP...
    • View Profile
    • Research Triangle Publications
Re: Sales tanked after moving book from SW to BN
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
I actually had something like that happen when I moved one of my books from BN through Smashwords to BN through D2D. I waited a few weeks hoping the situation would right itself, but it never did. I never sold a single copy while the book was with D2D, and the sales page looked exactly the same, so I reversed what I had done (repubbed at SW, unpubbed at D2D), and voila, the book started selling again. I don't think this is some magic that Smashwords has or some shortfalling of D2D, but rather, that BN's system just doesn't see it as the same book when it's coming from a different distributor, so the new version of the book is not associated with the also-boughts that the old one was. I suspect that this is what made the difference, but can't be sure.

--Maria

Offline nightfire

• NYC/Queen Creek AZ
    • View Profile
    • BookGoodies Network - Sites for Book Lovers
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
Did they give you a whole new page? If your book was established in one place on lists with reviews or whatever with the SW listing and you lost that by switching it would be like starting over.
Deborah Carney
BookGoodies - Authors Start Here - Author Interviews, Post Your Book with links to ALL platforms where it is for sale
NightFire Publications

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 09:49:38 PM »
If you republish with another distributor, they make a new entry and it's no longer the same book to their algorithms.

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »
Thanks, guys. That makes perfect sense.

It is on a whole new page, and I also recently noticed that it doesn't come up when you search for my name. It's as if it doesn't exist. I don't even remember how I found the link, to be honest.

I'll try re-publishing on SW and see if that helps. Right now I'm running a sale, so I don't want to confuse those sites. I'll change it back ASAP.

Offline Mark Tyson

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Mark E Tyson
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:52 AM »
It did the same thing to me moving from D2D to nookpress. I guess Patty is right.

Mark E Tyson | Mark E Tyson

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:38:48 AM »
This is why going direct sooner rather than later (if you ever think you might want to) is best. It takes time to build up in these channels -- it's like starting over. Think of it like deleting the book at KDP and republishing with a new ASIN. That's what you're doing.

Also, if you are already in D2D and decide to go into KU for a time, delist by all means but DO NOT delete the books. Delisting is all you need, and if you want to go back, just reactivate and you will NOT have lost reviews etc. You'll still have the same ID number in the databases. Basically you need to think months down the line. Do you want to go wide eventually? If yes, better start now. It will take around 6 months to see action. If not, then no problem.

Bookbub and other promos will speed things up. Permafree plus BB is like turbo charging sales. I find rank stickier outside of Amazon's churn machine.

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
This is why going direct sooner rather than later (if you ever think you might want to) is best. It takes time to build up in these channels -- it's like starting over. Think of it like deleting the book at KDP and republishing with a new ASIN. That's what you're doing.

Also, if you are already in D2D and decide to go into KU for a time, delist by all means but DO NOT delete the books. Delisting is all you need, and if you want to go back, just reactivate and you will NOT have lost reviews etc. You'll still have the same ID number in the databases. Basically you need to think months down the line. Do you want to go wide eventually? If yes, better start now. It will take around 6 months to see action. If not, then no problem.

Bookbub and other promos will speed things up. Permafree plus BB is like turbo charging sales. I find rank stickier outside of Amazon's churn machine.

Ooh, good to know.

I'm direct with BN for the most part. I use D2D for some free first-in-series books. I've thought about returning to rotate titles in KU, so thank you for the tip!