Author Topic: Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!  (Read 54932 times)  

Offline jd_ruthers_85

• View Profile
Re: Book Report - New Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
Okay, thanks for letting me know you'd prefer paypal. There seems to be a substantial number of you. I'll try to get something in the works before your free trials expire in two weeks.

Add me to the list of those who prefer Paypal. Thanks.

Offline legion

• CanDoLand
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
I am in love with this tool.  :-*

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »

I've been looking at the paypal documentation, and it's a lot harder to work with than Stripe. But hey, I'm sure I can figure it out. I've got two weeks until the free trials are complete.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Hugh Howey

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Howey
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2015, 07:25:11 PM »
This right here? This is why the indie movement is awesome. Thank you, Liam! :)

Agreed. Brings a tear to my eye.

Hugh Howey | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2015, 07:28:07 PM »
Agreed. Brings a tear to my eye.

I honestly can't believe how amazing this whole experience has been. Everyone has been so incredibly kind and receptive. I'm getting thank you emails, feature requests, and every bug report has been completely understanding. I was nervous when I woke up this morning. Now I'm on top of the world.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2015, 07:29:30 PM »
I've been looking at the paypal documentation, and it's a lot harder to work with than Stripe. But hey, I'm sure I can figure it out. I've got two weeks until the free trials are complete.

When you get Paypal sorted, I would suggest adding a "Donate" button through them. I'm sure that there will be grateful folks out there who wouldn't mind kicking in a few bucks even though they haven't reached the subscription threshold.

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2015, 07:40:08 PM »
ARGH.  I succumbed to a new addiction: and it's as amazing as everyone is saying. 

Very big thank you, Liam!  Truly.

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline indiejane

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
Did you guys hear that....? Mind blown.

Cue slow clap...

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2015, 08:24:29 PM »
Ok, I just got this and have to say it's looking pretty great. I wish there was something similar for all the retailers. And add me to the number who would appreciate a PayPal option, if possible.

Offline Jennifer R P

• Northern Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer R. Povey
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Well, it works. I actually sold a book ;).

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
Ok, I just got this and have to say it's looking pretty great. I wish there was something similar for all the retailers. And add me to the number who would appreciate a PayPal option, if possible.

I will. Adding paypal support is making its way to the top of my list of things to do.

Online kathrynoh

• Tokyo, Japan
    • View Profile
    • Kathryn O'Halloran
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »
It's a fantastic tool. I probably wouldn't use it because I have a fairly complex spreadsheet already with all my data in it. If I did use it, there are a couple of concerns I'd have. Firstly, the date thing. Because I'm in Australia it's showing today's data for the 14th not the 13th. No big deal though.

The other thing is the exchange rate. The Australian dollar can have some pretty crazy fluctuations against $US during the month. At the moment, I use really conservative exchange rates because I don't want any nasty surprises come payment time. I could imagine that using a daily rate would make numbers jump all over the place.

The best thing I've learnt so far -- I spelt my name differently between books! Darn surnames with apostrophes.

I blog, usually about stuff unrelated to writing. I write short stories that don't sell and romance (under a pen name) that does.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »
It's a fantastic tool. I probably wouldn't use it because I have a fairly complex spreadsheet already with all my data in it. If I did use it, there are a couple of concerns I'd have. Firstly, the date thing. Because I'm in Australia it's showing today's data for the 14th not the 13th. No big deal though.

The other thing is the exchange rate. The Australian dollar can have some pretty crazy fluctuations against $US during the month. At the moment, I use really conservative exchange rates because I don't want any nasty surprises come payment time. I could imagine that using a daily rate would make numbers jump all over the place.

The best thing I've learnt so far -- I spelt my name differently between books! Darn surnames with apostrophes.

Thank you for the feedback! It's definitely hard to compete with a custom-built spreadsheet that does everything just the way you like it. And the lack of a functioning Today tab is definitely a hit - I suppose that also ruins the running tally in the page title. I could add an option to choose your time zone, if that would help.

Interesting comments about exchange rates, too. I live in Canada, and our dollar is pretty similar to the AUD I believe. Lots of ups and downs recently. Right now the tool works by combining all the royalty numbers into USD using a recent rate, and then converts them into your choice of currency on the settings page. If I added another option there - Custom - and just let you put in whatever USD to AUD rate you'd like, would that be useful to you?

Just fielding possible solutions. Obviously I'd love for Book Report to work well for everyone who wants to use it!

Offline blubarry

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »
This is a great replacement for my usual spreadsheet!

Another feature request, if you're taking them. Would there be a way to sort by marketplace? I find it helpful to track sales in different markets. And throw me in as another paypal request!

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »
Great tool, but there is one teensy weensy problem for those in leading time zones (such as Australia). Today's sales will usually be zero (except for the odd borrow) because we live in the world of tomorrow. Of course, we could just use the historical yesterday's sales page which displays today's sales.

Regardless, it's a bonza tool mate. 

This.

The KDP graph always shows close to zero on the current day as well, but that doesn't matter because you just look at the previous day. With this program, not so much. I'm also wondering why my  today's "bestsellers" include books that I've never sold a copy of on Amazon (I think this is related to the time zone problem).

And also, I'd be interested in different currency options.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »

Me, too. Mucho prefer paypal.

Offline ChristinePope

• Santa Fe, NM
    • View Profile
    • Christine Pope
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »
I adore this, and will happily pony up once the free trial is over. :)

Although if you ever port this over to Google Play, I know that I and a whole lot of other people will be eternally grateful! Their sales reports are the WORST.

Christine Pope | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing list

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
A thought on the "Australia" issue:

On the computer you're running BOOK REPORT, try this - Set your computer's clock BACK 14 hours (including going back 1 day if the 14 hours takes you back a day).

That, I believe, will fix your issue.

Now, that brings up an interesting potential fix. Somewhere in Amazon's KDP code they must be checking what your "system" date is in order to display sales accordingly. This is how you can "see the future" (if you set your date to tomorrow when it is evening, you can see borrows from tomorrow that came in after Amazon's cut-off time for borrows every night).

I betcha you could set up the book report to get around having to change the clock, forcing it to feed Amazon false date information so it would give YESTERDAYS results for our aussie pals :).

Anyway, any Australian want to test this? Set your clock back 14 hours (and date accordingly), and lets see how things go!

TobiasRoote

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2015, 10:01:02 PM »
I came across a problem this morning with my virus checker. It checks to see if there are any unwanted programs running in my system. It runs overnight, every night. It came up with 52 PUP's this morning. Many of them registry key issues and changes to browsers. I'm presuming these 52 items are the Book Report. I set it to ignore these today, but tomorrow I will either have to accept them or reject them.

This might be an issue for others hence mentioning the problem.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »
Just want to say that it might be a good idea, but I'm not touching my computer's clock, because it screws up everything else I do on my my computer.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
Just want to say that it might be a good idea, but I'm not touching my computer's clock, because it screws up everything else I do on my my computer.

Just chiming in to say that I'm adding a fix for Australians now. There will be a new setting to move everything back a day. I'll push it tonight, or I suppose this afternoon for you.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »
Just chiming in to say that I'm adding a fix for Australians now. There will be a new setting to move everything back a day. I'll push it tonight, or I suppose this afternoon for you.

But it's not *just* the Australians and it's not a simple fix, imo. Because if you're in the UK, the day ticks over about halfway through, so they have our problem as well, but only half of it.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2015, 10:10:09 PM »
But it's not *just* the Australians and it's not a simple fix, imo. Because if you're in the UK, the day ticks over about halfway through, so they have our problem as well, but only half of it.

Yes, sorry. I should have been more clear. I'm adding an option that will switch your "today" report to one day earlier than your computer's current date. This will be useful for more than just Australians, of course, it's just that people from Australia have been most vocal about the issue.

TobiasRoote

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2015, 10:10:34 PM »
... and I'm in Spain but my account is UK, and my laptop could be on UK time or Spanish time.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »
... and I'm in Spain but my account is UK, and my laptop could be on UK time or Spanish time.

And this is why it'll just be an option. The tool won't try to figure out if you should use the option or not, it'll just give you the ability.