Author Topic: Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!  (Read 56908 times)  

Offline J.J. Thompson

• Canada
  • Nothing to fear but fear itself.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Report - New Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
Liam, all I can say is bravo. Amazing job. I'm already addicted!  ;D

J.J. Thompson | J.J's Blog

Offline altyler

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2015, 07:24:50 AM »
Me, I have the problem the other way. I have it showing sales revenue for 4 books, but it's only showing 1 sale.

I saw this yesterday, but I did a quick audit on the last few days and realized it was because the unit sales showed up the day before the funds did--i.e., the sale happened one day, but it looks like the payment didn't clear until another day.  My totals shown in Book Report were accurate when accounting for this.

A.L. Tyler | My Blog

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2015, 07:45:04 AM »
I saw this yesterday, but I did a quick audit on the last few days and realized it was because the unit sales showed up the day before the funds did--i.e., the sale happened one day, but it looks like the payment didn't clear until another day.  My totals shown in Book Report were accurate when accounting for this.

I have found the same thing.  I sold X books yesterday and got paid for X-1 of them.  Today, the $ for that last book is showing up in my total even though the sale for the book is not.  It looks like a "this is what Amazon's data is saying" sort of problem.

Offline Alex D

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »
Wow it's stunning! I'm super impressed.
Alexandra Delancey | Twitter | Website

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:40 AM »
Also, in the earnings by book report, there's no labels to show which book is which. I can sort of guess by looking at the graph below it, but it would get harder for similar earners.

Actually, if you cover a mouse over the top of the pie graph, it shows you what book is each piece of the pie.

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2015, 07:59:26 AM »
And yes, discrepancy between sales and actual money Amazon reports is absolutely on Amazon's end. It used to annoy me when I'd compare the money Amazon said I made today against the sales I made.

There is some delay between a sale occurring and Amazon claiming you earned the income. It sorts itself out, so if you look at a previous day it'll be pretty much spot on in my experience.

This annoyed me long before I started using a bookreport prototype :).

Offline Genre Hoarder

• Midwest
  • Genre Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »
Best. Tool. Ever.

I don't know or understand all the technicalities, but with this brilliant tool, I don't have to. I can see my sales in "real" time. It is not only visually appealing, but serves as a motivational tool. I want to see more colors in the rainbow on my graph. I like being able to compare sales data. I love that I don't have to spend any time on my dashboard counting dots and hoping that I won't lose count, as often happens.

I will gladly pay for this tool! Thank you for this! And, thank you for being so receptive to suggestions and requests. Off to write, so I'll have to pay $10.00 per month.  :)

Offline Will C. Brown

• Woodbridge, VA
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2015, 08:30:09 AM »
Wow! This is great!
Thanks for providing this. I'm in the camp that would gladly contribute if you put up a "Donate" button.
Hero Ground Zero: 70%
Coming June 2017 | My Site | Twitter | Facebook

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2015, 08:33:26 AM »
I set this up for my personal account and the Steel Magnolia one. The "bestseller" list on the homepage of my personal account isn't displaying my actual best selling title (best in terms of paid sales, freebie DLs and money -- no matter how you slice the figures), while it is displaying my worst selling one. And it's also displaying 2 multi-author box sets that were unpubbed in 2013 -- one of which doesn't have any author name attached -- not even mine -- that appears in the figures for the last 90 days. I'm not sure what numbers it's scraping there?

The SMP account isn't displaying similar unpubbed boxes -- 1 of which was unpubbed just last month (so should be in the 90-day history) and is in the Top 3 of our all-time bestsellers. So the data-scrape doesn't seem consistent between the accounts  :-\ Of course, there are ~30 authors historically represented in my personal account and nearly 100 in the SMP account (because of our anthologies and multi-author boxes), so maybe there's a choke point? (Our accounts are always good for stress-testing software!)

We have a BookBub ad today, so that should be fun to watch update in real time :)

Overall, I think the display is a nice adjunct to the KDP report, but I need the nitty-gritty of the KDP reports more than an overall total and color charts divided 120 ways. But the tool wasn't created for small-press accounts, so that's not meant as a knock against it at all. Different model, different needs.
  (click to enbiggen)

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »
This is probably a dumb question, but I have a capped service and have to watch that I don't go over my allotted GBs per month. If I leave Book Report running does it chew up a lot of mbs (like Skype can do  ::) ) ?

Not a dumb question at all! It depends on how many books you have published. I did some quick math, and if you leave it running 12 hours a day and you have ~250 titles published, it will take up around 1 GB in a month. So hopefully that's light-weight enough for you!

Awesome tool, thanks so much! I'm not at the point of needing the subscription yet, but I'll be sharing this around.

Couple of suggestions of things to add, I'd love to be able to sort by series instead of just pen name. I can sort of do it by choosing each individual book though, so not a big hassle, just a thought. Also, in the earnings by book report, there's no labels to show which book is which. I can sort of guess by looking at the graph below it, but it would get harder for similar earners.

They're just minor improvements though, and it's totally awesome as it is. I'll still keep my individual spreadsheets, but this is going to be so fun to watch throughout the day!

Sorting by series makes sense. I'll add that to my list.

As for labels - which part of the report are you talking about? The pie chart does have labels, if you hover over the segments. But on the compare report things are a bit more vague.

Another cheeky program request if poss  :P. Is there anyway of feeding the app our KDP monthly XL reports from previous months/years so we could keep a Zon 'life sales' tally?
Prob a lot to ask I know but ...
Thanks again, this thing is truly awesome.

I will be looking into this. I've got to gauge how much work it would be, and how awesome the result would be, before I can commit to anything. Also, the more times I hear a request the more likely I am to do it.

I. AM. IN. LOVE!

all caps; yes, I'm shouting with glee.

one q: is the 1000 per month USD? no biggie, as I would def subscribe anyway, but just wondering.

Glad you like it! And yes, the $1000/month line is in USD. It also assumes borrows will stay the same, if it's calculated for a month that we don't know the official rate for yet.

Am I missing a way to export the information? All I've been doing is staking screenshots.

You're not missing it, it is missing at this point. The tables at the bottom are copy-pasteable into spreadsheets, but I know some people would like more complicated exports than that. I'm not really a spreadsheet guy, so if anyone has an idea for how they'd like the export data to be laid out, let me know!

Wow! This is great!
Thanks for providing this. I'm in the camp that would gladly contribute if you put up a "Donate" button.

Thank you for the offer, but I won't be adding a donate button. If you aren't earning more than $1000/month, then you spend that "donation" money on covers and editing and promotion, alright?

I set this up for my personal account and the Steel Magnolia one. The "bestseller" list on the homepage of my personal account isn't displaying my actual best selling title (best in terms of paid sales, freebie DLs and money -- no matter how you slice the figures), while it is displaying my worst selling one. And it's also displaying 2 multi-author box sets that were unpubbed in 2013 -- one of which doesn't have any author name attached -- not even mine -- that appears in the figures for the last 90 days. I'm not sure what numbers it's scraping there?

The SMP account isn't displaying similar unpubbed boxes -- 1 of which was unpubbed just last month (so should be in the 90-day history) and is in the Top 3 of our all-time bestsellers. So the data-scrape doesn't seem consistent between the accounts  :-\ Of course, there are ~30 authors historically represented in my personal account and nearly 100 in the SMP account (because of our anthologies and multi-author boxes), so maybe there's a choke point? (Our accounts are always good for stress-testing software!)

We have a BookBub ad today, so that should be fun to watch update in real time :)

Overall, I think the display is a nice adjunct to the KDP report, but I need the nitty-gritty of the KDP reports more than an overall total and color charts divided 120 ways. But the tool wasn't created for small-press accounts, so that's not meant as a knock against it at all. Different model, different needs.

The Bestselling Books section gets wonky when you're looking at a time period where you had less than 6 books making sales - not sure if that's what was happening in your case, just thought I'd mention it.

Unpublished books will remain in Book Report forever, assuming they made a sale or borrow before the unpublishing. They won't display anywhere though, unless they've had sales. If you switch to "By Book" selection on the settings tab, can you find some of the missing books?

The tool works from the same data source as Amazon's normal Sales Dashboard, so the numbers should align between the two.

There might be a bug related to books with multiple pen names - I've had a few reports. I'll be looking into this.

Thank you for your feedback!
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Aw99

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »
Thanks for the great tool. One thing I would suggest is adding an option to view a monthly sales estimation based on one's current month to date sales. (Current Month to Date Sales /  Current Day of the Month) X Total Days in Month. I think you could also do this for the year as well. Another suggestion would be to add separate fields for a person to add their month to date sales from other channels like Creatspace, Google, Draft2Digital etc. so that those sales could be annualized in the total monthly sales estimation. The idea would be that a person could have a continuous idea of what their total sales will be for the month based on what they have already sold.Thanks again. 

Offline Susan Alison

• Bristol, UK
  • Romantic comedy, fantasy & colouring books
    • View Profile
    • Susan Alison Books and Art
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
Coo - fab! Thank you so much!

Romantic comedy, fantasy, colouring books, illustrated doggerel, short stories
Susan Alison | website | Corgis Rule! colouring book | facebook | facebook again | Twitter | Pinterest | contact me | subscribe to news | blog

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2015, 10:17:40 AM »
Thank you for the offer, but I won't be adding a donate button. If you aren't earning more than $1000/month, then you spend that "donation" money on covers and editing and promotion, alright?

This is the kind of giving back to the community that makes me so proud to be an indie writer.

*wipes tear*

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
This is the kind of giving back to the community that makes me so proud to be an indie writer.

*wipes tear*

^^ this^^
As the hymn says,
"Have you had a kindness shown,
Pass it on!
'Twas not meant for you alone
Pass it on!"

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline MH Sargent

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »
And yes, discrepancy between sales and actual money Amazon reports is absolutely on Amazon's end. It used to annoy me when I'd compare the money Amazon said I made today against the sales I made.

There is some delay between a sale occurring and Amazon claiming you earned the income. It sorts itself out, so if you look at a previous day it'll be pretty much spot on in my experience.

Here's what I don't get....Book Report is simply pulling from Amazon, but there is discrepancy. Since you've been working with this a while, is it correct to say that if I call up Book Report right now and look at Today's Sales, that amount is correct? You're saying the actual sales is what Book Report is going by, and Amazon is slow in reporting the income from those sales, right? 
M.H. Sargent

Offline davidhaynes

• Derby. UK
    • View Profile
    • David Haynes Horror Writer
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »
I'm fairly useless at this kind if thing so sorry for the daft question. How do I get it to work in Chrome mobile for android?
I don't have a favourites bar.
Once again, sorry for the daft question!

David Haynes | Blog | Twitter | Web Site

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »
Is this safe?

Are they retrieving your username and passwords?

Are they collecting data

Has anyone asked that yet?

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2015, 10:53:51 AM »
Is this safe?

Are they retrieving your username and passwords?

Are they collecting data

Has anyone asked that yet?

Yes, no, not really, yes.

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
Yes, no, not really, yes.

How sure can you be?

Either:

A. They are RETRIEVING your information ( which would be a sneaky way to find out what books are selling and what to write next)
B. They are NOT retrieving your information.

I would like to know how anyone can determine this? If a company is doing this ( facebook has been known to do this and not tell folks, as well as snapchat) what is to say someone else wouldn't?

I am all for trusting folks, but in this industry you have to watch out for unscrupulous folks.

Also. How are they able to determine how much you are making on a borrow. That isn't decided until the 15th as it changes each month?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:03:00 AM by kalel »

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
How sure can you be?

Either:

A. They are RETRIEVING your information ( which would be a sneaky way to find out what books are selling and what to write next)

I would like to know how anyone can determine this? If a company is doing this ( facebook has been known to do this and not tell folks, as well as snapchat) what is to say someone else wouldn't?

I am all for trusting folks, but in this industry you have to watch out for unscrupulous folks.

they're not using your password and user ID.  You aren't giving it to them when using this tool.

Online Silly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2015, 11:04:35 AM »
That makes no sense.

Either:

I would like to know how anyone can determine this?

I think this was explained further down thread. I am usually very skeptical of these types of things. But Hugh Howey endorsed it, and he's well-known to look out for Indies...a champion of sorts for our cause. So, if he's onboard, so am I. It's that simple for me. But I can understand your questions. Did you read thru from the beginning?

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2015, 11:05:22 AM »
they're not using your password and user ID.  You aren't giving it to them when using this tool.

I understand, but you are still installing on your computer a tool. That tool could possibly retrieve data. Their privacy says they do retrieve some data under their privacy policy

"Account Information. On first use, we collect your Kindle Direct Publishing Customer ID. We do this to keep track of your free trial, your payments, and so that once you become a paid member you have access on multiple devices. We also store whether your account is operating at a free or paid level of service."

Thats nice to know.

But am I to trust you are not retrieving more data? Am I to take the at their word?

And how can you determine borrow prices when that is usually decided on the 15th ( correct me if I am wrong on this it changes each month)

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2015, 11:06:14 AM »
I think this was explained further down thread. I am usually very skeptical of these types of things. But Hugh Howey endorsed it, and he's well-known to look out for Indies...a champion of sorts for our cause. So, if he's onboard, so am I. It's that simple for me. But I can understand your questions. Did you read thru from the beginning?

I understand we love our hugh, but unless he understands CODE, he would never know himself.

Offline nonbreaking space

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2015, 11:07:03 AM »
+1 for uploading excel files

also, i'd be happy to have a dashboard to log into and check stuff out (with whatever cool 'stuff' you could add if you were storing more of the data), as long as I don't need to give you my KDP login information to move the information between servers. i'm fine if a nefarious gentleman logs in and sees how much (or little) money i make. not so much if they can go in and start messing with my KDP account. i would pay extra for this.

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
Remember. They take your amazon user ID

From this they can display your books

They can display numbers

If they can pull all that together. Who's to say that info isn't being pulled back to their server? ( they are pulling your amazon id back to their server. A few bits of code and boom they have all your book info and sales figures on their server along with it.)

I like to trust folks but I have to wonder on this one.

Im all for shiny things that make our lives good, but not if I can't be sure that ( the book and numbers they are pulling together aren't being pulled back to them)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:09:37 AM by kalel »