Author Topic: Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!  (Read 56905 times)  

Online Silly Writer

• View Profile
Re: Book Report - New Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »
Borrow rates are pulled from previous month...as an estimate. It's as close as he can get to seeing into the future.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2015, 11:09:54 AM »
I understand, but you are still installing on your computer a tool. That tool could possibly retrieve data. Their privacy says they do retrieve some data under their privacy policy

"Account Information. On first use, we collect your Kindle Direct Publishing Customer ID. We do this to keep track of your free trial, your payments, and so that once you become a paid member you have access on multiple devices. We also store whether your account is operating at a free or paid level of service."

Thats nice to know.

But am I to trust you are not retrieving more data? Am I to take the at their word?

And how can you determine borrow prices when that is usually decided on the 15th ( correct me if I am wrong on this it changes each month)

The borrow price uses the prior month and changes every month, from what's been said upthread.  As for trust, the creator of this tool has been pretty forthcoming.  You can decide on your own what your trust comfort level is, at some point this becomes something nobody can answer for you.

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »
I understand, but you are still installing on your computer a tool.

You're not. It's a bookmark that runs a javascript. The code is available to be looked at if you know how to ferret it out, and includes an adorable little note from Liam. It appears to do just what he says, though my java is admittedly rusty.

Liam has addressed all of your concerns in this thread. It would probably be best if you read his posts rather than our posts trying to summarize them.

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Remember. They take your amazon user ID

From this they can display your books

They can display numbers

If they can pull all that together. Who's to say that info isn't being pulled back to their server?

This is definitely a possibility, but I wouldn't have even installed the thing if I cared. Heck, this is a possibility for every single thing a person does on the internet. All we have is the creator's word, just like with everything else we do.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
Kalel,

here's an early post by the developer  responding to some of the questions you have.

Note that the developer, Book Report, has been very responsive in the thread and you can direct your questions to him.

Hi Alan!

Your KDP Customer ID is just a bunch of random characters - mine is A1HGUDY8TUJMHK - and it identifies your KDP account. There's no way for me to use that ID for anything, I can't look up your books or your account information or anything of the sort. I need to collect it so that the program can sync a few things across devices. Without it, you'd need to pay a separate subscription fee if you want to use it on your iPad as well as your laptop. Assuming you're at the paid tier, of course.

Other than that, nothing about your KDP account is stored. None of the data from your reports - sales counts, titles, pen names, earnings - ever leaves your computer. The tool does tell the server whether you earned over $1000 last month, but that's a simple yes/no. No data is sent.

Worrying about third-parties is a really good thing to do, actually. I designed Book Report so that hopefully even the most privacy-minded authors can still use it comfortably. I really don't collect anything that isn't necessary for the app to function.

Hope that answers your questions!

BookReport (Liam)--

thanks for being so responsive to our members' questions.  As someone else says, this has been a great demonstration of customer interaction.

Betsy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:26:42 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Amy Corwin

• Clarkton, NC
  • Author of Historical Mysteries and Paranormals
    • View Profile
    • Amy Corwin, Author
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »
It's probably just being nit-picky, but when I compare numbers in the Amazon dashboard to numbers in the Book Report, sometimes they don't match up. I'm assuming that some of this is due to perhaps counting all sales (including foreign) in Book Report versus you having to drill down on a per country basis on Amazon. Book Report also showed some sales for me where there was a sale indicated, but the profit was $0.00, even though the book wasn't free. Again, I'm assuming based upon this thread that that is due to some kind of lag (probably on Amazon's side) in reporting.

Overall, I like Book Report, especially since I don't make enough per month to have to pay for it. LOL
I like the various ways you can see how your library of books is performing.

Although I have to say, I've always found pie charts, while pretty, to be a phenomenal waste of computing power and effort. I can do without them. (In other words, I find them useless.)

It's a good product though. So thanks!

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
Re: Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »
I understand we love our hugh, but unless he understands CODE, he would never know himself.

Kalel, let me try to calm your worries.

This whole tool? It's written in simple javascript. Whether you're able to code or not, it is actually fairly easy to understand. Seriously. You can see exactly what is happening if you look over the code with even the tiniest bit of understanding of HTML/Javascript (and even a layman could get the gist of it). The code isn't hidden either, you can literally go look at it right now. The person behind this tool deliberately made it that way - transparency and privacy is the TOP priority of this kind of tool. Here, look for yourself - this is the javascript file the bookmarklet loads when you run it. If you surf to this link, it will display the code right in your browser for you to look at:

https://www.getbookreport.com/scripts/report.js

If it all looks like greek to you, know that several people who do understand code have poured over this and its prototypes for the last few months without any concerns.

You're not installing anything - this bookmarklet runs as a javascript file that overlays over the top of your existing KDP reports window. It is basically expanding upon what is already there, similar to a greasemonkey script or something of the sort. Ever seen that bookmarklet that automatically totals up all your sales at Amazon? It's pretty much EXACTLY like that, except, obviously, significantly more complex. If you read through the thread, the person behind the tool explains exactly what is happening when you run this code, and you can confirm it by looking at the code.

Nowhere in this code is it actually sending out any of your sales data, and it doesn't have access to things like your password etc. It stores all data on your personal computer, and none of that sales information is being compromised.

You can't get ironclad 100% safety from anything you do online, but this is particularly transparent and pretty easy to audit for yourself. If this person wanted to be nefarious he could have created this as an application that was a total black-box (click and it works, with no idea HOW it works). That's not what has been done here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:15:28 PM by bobfrost »

Online theaatkinson

• Canada
  • Fiction to the Left of Mainstream
    • View Profile
    • GonzoInk
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
This is the kind of giving back to the community that makes me so proud to be an indie writer.

*wipes tear*

LOVIN' this interaction. (off topic, lilywhite: digging' the DMB fire dancer avatar)

Fiction to the left of Mainstream| Phoenix is FREE
Thea Atkinson | get more freebies

Offline NoBlackHats

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »
Please consider a donate button.  I would be very happy to throw some cash your way for such a slick, and helpful tool.

:)

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »
Please consider a donate button.  I would be very happy to throw some cash your way for such a slick, and helpful tool.

I don't know if you saw it, but here's what the creator of thebookreport said about donations:

Thank you for the offer, but I won't be adding a donate button. If you aren't earning more than $1000/month, then you spend that "donation" money on covers and editing and promotion, alright?

:)

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »
(off topic, lilywhite: digging' the DMB fire dancer avatar)

:) Best of what's around!

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
Although I have to say, I've always found pie charts, while pretty, to be a phenomenal waste of computing power and effort. I can do without them. (In other words, I find them useless.)

Before making Book Report, I had no idea how divisive pie charts would be. It's kinda hilarious how many pro- and anti- pie chart emails I've received. And yes, seeing a sale with 0 royalties is normal. The royalties will show up for that sale in time.

Remember. They take your amazon user ID

From this they can display your books

They can display numbers

If they can pull all that together. Who's to say that info isn't being pulled back to their server? ( they are pulling your amazon id back to their server. A few bits of code and boom they have all your book info and sales figures on their server along with it.)

I like to trust folks but I have to wonder on this one.

Im all for shiny things that make our lives good, but not if I can't be sure that ( the book and numbers they are pulling together aren't being pulled back to them)

First, thanks to everyone for supporting me on the privacy issue.

Second, here's the thing: Kalel is right. Bookmarklets, like Book Report, are capable of all kinds of awful things. So are excel sheets with macros enabled, apps that ask for your username and password, and tons of other things. Like I've mentioned earlier in this thread, there needs to be trust.

So here's my recommendation, for someone who's incredibly worried about security: Watch your network. It's pretty easy to do in any browser. Look for requests going to app.getbookreport.com, and look at what is contained in those requests. You'll find all the data that I've mentioned is sent to my servers. And if you find any sales data being sent to my server, come make a thread about it on KBoards. I'm pretty sure I'd be up to my eyeballs in lawsuits before getting the chance to abuse any of the data I'd stolen.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »
Before making Book Report, I had no idea how divisive pie charts would be. It's kinda hilarious how many pro- and anti- pie chart emails I've received.

I'm on Team PieChart. Love 'em.

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
PIE CHARTS ARE THE LIGHT!

Online Silly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »
I'm pro-pie of any kind.  8)

Offline Susan Alison

• Bristol, UK
  • Romantic comedy, fantasy & colouring books
    • View Profile
    • Susan Alison Books and Art
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
Pie rules!

Romantic comedy, fantasy, colouring books, illustrated doggerel, short stories
Susan Alison | website | Corgis Rule! colouring book | facebook | facebook again | Twitter | Pinterest | contact me | subscribe to news | blog

Offline Huldra

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »

It's a good product though. So thanks!

This is what Liam's pie charts have done for me.

Looks pretty boring, right?
That little circle made me realize that I need to rethink my decision of letting one of my pen names die, because - if you bring word count into it - it's bringing in as much per hour spent on production as the one I thought was the only real money maker.
I could have learned this from just looking at my numbers too, but even though I have - it just never clicked before I saw this graphic outlay.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
This is what Liam's pie charts have done for me.

Looks pretty boring, right?
That little circle made me realize that I need to rethink my decision of letting one of my pen names die, because - if you bring word count into it - it's bringing in as much per hour spent on production as the one I thought was the only real money maker.
I could have learned this from just looking at my numbers too, but even though I have - it just never clicked before I saw this graphic outlay.

That's awesome. Exactly the type of revelation Book Report was designed to produce.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
I don't care about the pie charts.

I would like to be able to manually change the time zone. Having everything reset to zero at 11 p.m. U.S. Mountain Time is annoying.

I would like a "last 30 days" option like the KDP reports option, as that's very useful to me as a rolling average of my income.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 14, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Thank you so much for making this!

I would like less white space and no need to scroll down.

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »

What a great gift to writers!!! Thank you.

I apologize if this question was asked before (this thread was so long when I discovered it that it's daunting). What happens to the $10 subscription fee if the author's income is uneven--some months making more than $1000 and some months making less?

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2015, 02:53:02 PM »
What a great gift to writers!!! Thank you.

I apologize if this question was asked before (this thread was so long when I discovered it that it's daunting). What happens to the $10 subscription fee if the author's income is uneven--some months making more than $1000 and some months making less?

It will automatically not charge you if you dipped below 1K for the previous month, according to a post Liam made in here somewhere.

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • ritaleechapman.com
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
So why can't Amazon give us this info!  Their report software is positively antiquated.
Rita Lee Chapman
[=Missing in Egypt=]
  Dangerous Associations

Offline MH Sargent

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2015, 03:36:20 PM »
It's probably just being nit-picky, but when I compare numbers in the Amazon dashboard to numbers in the Book Report, sometimes they don't match up. I'm assuming that some of this is due to perhaps counting all sales (including foreign) in Book Report versus you having to drill down on a per country basis on Amazon. Book Report also showed some sales for me where there was a sale indicated, but the profit was $0.00, even though the book wasn't free. Again, I'm assuming based upon this thread that that is due to some kind of lag (probably on Amazon's side) in reporting.

I posted early this morning that I had the same thing -- a sale for a book, but no profit and the book is not free. I went back to the KDP dashboard and discovered there was a return on that book. That may be why you saw the zero profit. However, if  you had multiple sales and no returns, then perhaps it is a question of KDP and Book Report lagging one another a bit. 

And if that, then which do we take as the true, accurate count in terms of sales and profit?

Also, on my pie chart my bestseller is a book that has no sales today in Book Report.
M.H. Sargent

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »
Here's a minor point, but one that makes the tool less useful for me. It references only books that I've published (through KDP only, not any other vendors - right?). I have two sets of other books that are co-authored, published by the co-authors, where I get part of the proceeds. It would be nice to have those tracked somehow, even if only by rating. At present, I can at least see all the ratings collected in one place (author central). Obviously, BR won't be able to get to the data in people's accounts I don't have access to, but some kind of ancillary portion that factored in those results might be nice, even if only estimates.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:21:05 PM by David VanDyke »

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac