Kindle Forum banner

Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!

78K views 593 replies 174 participants last post by  RinG 
#1 ·
"Book Report is the most elegant and useful KDP reporting solution I've ever seen. Your information stays local, so it's just as safe as checking your dashboard. And the results are beautifully displayed. It's brilliant." ~Hugh Howey

https://www.getbookreport.com

Their launch is today. If you ever wanted a better way to look at your KDP stats, this is truly beautiful.

What do you think?

ETA: Hugh Howey just posted about it on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/hughhowey/posts/10153282346138179?pnref=story

#4 ·
I won't carry the weight of Hugh, but I'm a 5 figure author (with a number that that doesn't start with a 1), and I've been using the prototypes of this tool for months now while it was still secret and held among a closed group of authors.

This tool is indispensable. I can't even begin to explain how much so,  but I'll try.

Ok, first, it's live. That means you run it in a tab and it's just ON. Any time you click on the tab, bam, your sales are there in live numbers. You can literally watch sales happen. That's pretty cool.

Second, it's secure. The creator of the tool is absolutely interested in total privacy. Data is stored locally, and you can see all the back end code that makes it work. That kind of transparency is huge to me.

Third, it's created by one of the most successful authors I know. This thing was built for personal use by a VERY high earning author and I've been fortunate to have access for so long. This is coded by someone who RELIES on this tool, and that means it's always worked, it gets relentlessly fixed when bugs pop up, and new features get added all the time. You are seeing the culmination of well over a year of effort here.

Fourth, this thing saves persistent data. That means as you run the tool, you'll save more than the 90 days of data Amazon shows you. That is HUGE.

FIFTH, this tool gives you the ability to quickly compare pennames and books, making it simple to figure out where to focus your energy. This tool replaced ALL my sales tracking and excel sheets on this subject.

Finally, it's a time saver. This tool means I don't have to keep going to kdp. I leave it in a browser window all day. I don't have to carefully track stats or do silly addition to figure out how much money I'm making. It takes the data Amazon gives you, and it displays it in the most elegant and beautiful way.

Put simply, this is incredible, and the man behind it is as brilliant as the tool he created.

G
#7 ·
So, pretty good - so why are the pricing rates hidden?

Edit: Strange when I clicked the link the first time there was nothing except the link. The second time I clicked it after installing it, the link showed a completely different page.

#8 ·
TobiasRoote said:
So, pretty good - so why are the pricing rates hidden?
They aren't. Right on the link:

Pricing
Free for everyone for the first two weeks. See how much you can learn from your data.

Free for everyone earning less than $1000/month on KDP.

$10/month if you're finished your trial and you earned more than $1000 last month.

It's that simple. We also won't ask you any unnecessary questions at checkout - like your real name or your address - because we respect your privacy.
Free if you arent in the four figure club, ten bucks a month if you're above it, worth every damn penny and free to try.

#15 ·
bobfrost said:
It actually lets you set your own borrow rate in settings if you want to use something different than last month's rate.
Cool. I see that now. Thank you. (I shall now try second-guessing the giveaway from Amazon's rental pool...)

#17 ·
bobfrost said:
I won't carry the weight of Hugh, but I'm a 5 figure author (with a number that that doesn't start with a 1), and I've been using the prototypes of this tool for months now while it was still secret and held among a closed group of authors.

This tool is indispensable. I can't even begin to explain how much so, but I'll try.

Ok, first, it's live. That means you run it in a tab and it's just ON. Any time you click on the tab, bam, your sales are there in live numbers. You can literally watch sales happen. That's pretty cool.

Second, it's secure. The creator of the tool is absolutely interested in total privacy. Data is stored locally, and you can see all the back end code that makes it work. That kind of transparency is huge to me.

Third, it's created by one of the most successful authors I know. This thing was built for personal use by a VERY high earning author and I've been fortunate to have access for so long. This is coded by someone who RELIES on this tool, and that means it's always worked, it gets relentlessly fixed when bugs pop up, and new features get added all the time. You are seeing the culmination of well over a year of effort here.

Fourth, this thing saves persistent data. That means as you run the tool, you'll save more than the 90 days of data Amazon shows you. That is HUGE.

FIFTH, this tool gives you the ability to quickly compare pennames and books, making it simple to figure out where to focus your energy. This tool replaced ALL my sales tracking and excel sheets on this subject.

Finally, it's a time saver. This tool means I don't have to keep going to kdp. I leave it in a browser window all day. I don't have to carefully track stats or do silly addition to figure out how much money I'm making. It takes the data Amazon gives you, and it displays it in the most elegant and beautiful way.

Put simply, this is incredible, and the man behind it is as brilliant as the tool he created.
To me, this is a far better pitch than attaching some celebrity name to a string of superlatives. :D

The tool really is gobsmacking. And I love a pricing scheme that is generous to those starting off and affordable to those doing well. I haven't found a thing about this tool that I don't like.

#18 ·
This is a really great tool. It DOES have some problems though. Specifically with $.99 books.  Here's a sample of a few of my book sales:

Book 1: 3 sales at $.99 - - Total $1.40
Book 2: 2 sales at $.99 - - Total $1.05
Book 3: 1 sale at $.99 - -    Total $.70

None of these totals are correct... and they don't seem to be based on the same calculation error. I have no idea what is up with that.

#19 ·
Oh man. I don't even have to click on the tab to see the $$ earned so far today numbers updating. It does it right there on the tab header. I've recently had to cut myself off of kdp refreshing every hour...this isn't cheating is it? I mean, I'm not actually clicking any buttons, so this is perfectly acceptable, right? I'm not back sliding. Right? Two more sales. :D

#20 ·
Briteka said:
This is a really great tool. It DOES have some problems though. Specifically with $.99 books. Here's a sample of a few of my book sales:

Book 1: 3 sales at $.99 - - Total $1.40
Book 2: 2 sales at $.99 - - Total $1.05
Book 3: 1 sale at $.99 - - Total $.70

None of these totals are correct... and they don't seem to be based on the same calculation error. I have no idea what is up with that.
Actually, I think that's an Amazon issue. The sales earnings Amazon shows is always a little screwy. Old sales end up counted today when the money clears, returns happen, and the report itself lags a bit sometimes.

At the end of the day, it'll be more accurate :). He's relying on what Amazon is telling you, this is displaying the money Amazon shows. That means it'll be a little off here and there, but should be pretty laser accurate at the end of the month.

#23 ·
bobfrost said:
Actually, I think that's an Amazon issue. The sales earnings Amazon shows is always a little screwy. Old sales end up counted today when the money clears, returns happen, and the report itself lags a bit sometimes.

At the end of the day, it'll be more accurate :). He's relying on what Amazon is telling you, this is displaying the money Amazon shows. That means it'll be a little off here and there, but should be pretty laser accurate at the end of the month.
It's correct now. Very weird.

Still, really cool tool!

#24 ·
Briteka said:
It's correct now. Very weird.

Still, really cool tool!
Yeah, like I said, it's stuck with Amazon's little quirks, and this is one of them. Sales hit sometimes before the money shows up on Amazon's site, and that means you have a bit of delay between the numbers. But, it all works out after a bit of time and in the meantime, it's pretty damn close to dead on.

#25 ·
jd_ruthers_85 said:
This is so amazing. Wow. Are/will there by options to buy whatever this is outright? (As you can tell, I'm not a programmer, heh.) I already have too many subscription services as is, and I'd rather just purchase the whole thing.
You know, I've talked with the creator about this before and he said he was considering a yearly-option in addition to a monthly one. I can understand why he wants to make it a subscription service - He has ongoing costs with this thing (running it, and also in terms of the time spent keeping it working and expanding upon it - remember that he's an author first, and a tool maker second). Personally, if he comes up with a 120$/year option (or especially if he offers a small discount for buying a year up-front), I'd do that in a heartbeat to avoid having to fuss with monthly spend :).

#26 ·
bobfrost said:
You know, I've talked with the creator about this before and he said he was considering a yearly-option in addition to a monthly one. He has ongoing costs with this thing (running it, and also in terms of the time spent keeping it working and expanding upon it - remember that he's an author first, and a tool maker second). Personally, if he comes up with a 120$/year option, I'd do that in a heartbeat to avoid having to fuss with monthly spend :).
Yes, to this option. I hope he considers it. (Are you listening oh-brilliant one? :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.