Free Parenting Tips AppFree Parenting Tips App

Author Topic: Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!  (Read 59585 times)  

Offline EC Sheedy

• BC, Canada
  • "Words are Deeds." Wittgenstein
    • View Profile
Re: Book Report - New Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »
You know, I've talked with the creator about this before and he said he was considering a yearly-option in addition to a monthly one. He has ongoing costs with this thing (running it, and also in terms of the time spent keeping it working and expanding upon it - remember that he's an author first, and a tool maker second). Personally, if he comes up with a 120$/year option, I'd do that in a heartbeat to avoid having to fuss with monthly spend :).

Yes, to this option. I hope he considers it. (Are you listening oh-brilliant one?  :))

"We don't need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don'ts: we need books, time, and silence.
Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever."   ― Philip Pullman

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
Hey everyone! Liam here. I'm the programmer behind Book Report. I am listening!

To address the two main concerns/confusions:

1. The reason it's a subscription instead of an outright buy is that there are ongoing costs for me. I have to pay for a server to proxy requests to Amazon, so that you can have richer data like pen names and (soon) publication dates. And second, it takes up my time to maintain and improve. Bugs are found, Amazon changes the way things work, I need to put in the hours so that Book Report keeps on working. So basically, if it wasn't a monthly subscription, eventually the project would be losing me money and I'd have to shut it down. Subscriptions make it sustainable. I'll consider adding a yearly subscription for $100 option.

2. The numbers don't always match up. Bob Frost explained this one fairly well. The tool works by grabbing your sales data from Amazon's servers. And Amazon doesn't make sure that sales show up at the same time as their royalties. Sometimes you'll have a sales and $0 royalties. Sometimes you have some royalties and no sales. It's all rather confusing. You don't really notice it when you're looking at their standard reports, because everything is so broad, but with the fine grained detail this tool shows you, you will notice discrepancies. Don't worry about them too much. Your data should make sense by the time it's a day or two old.

Just let me know if you've got any other questions! I'll be around to answer them.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
This is crack.  This is indie author crack.  They should just call it KDP Crack now and save time.

Online Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
Hi Liam,

I read in your FAQs and privacy policy that the Amazon data isn't sent to your servers, but could you explain what data you access?  #1 on "Account Information" in your privacy policy states that you track via our KDP customer ID so what data is that and how long is that kept by you? And do you have access to data KDP makes available in our reports, or is that the data that won't hit your servers?

It seems like a great tool, but I'm worried about third-parties having that type of data. I'm a bit whacky, I don't even use apps that want to access to my Twitter followers, Facebook friends, etc. so this might not be for me, but just thought I would ask for more info on what you do with the data.

Online Lyndawrites

• England
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 10:05:53 AM »
Ooh, pretty! I like.

Will someone please pass on my thanks to the developer, not only for the bookmarklet, but for his pricing policy. This minnow truly appreciates it.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
Hi Liam,

I read in your FAQs and privacy policy that the Amazon data isn't sent to your servers, but could you explain what data you access?  #1 on "Account Information" in your privacy policy states that you track via our KDP customer ID so what data is that and how long is that kept by you? And do you have access to data KDP makes available in our reports, or is that the data that the data that won't hit your servers?

It seems like a great tool, but I'm worried about third-parties having that type of data. I'm a bit whacky, I don't even use apps that want to access to my Twitter followers, Facebook friends, etc. so this might not be for me, but just thought I would ask for more info on what you do with the data.

Hi Alan!

Your KDP Customer ID is just a bunch of random characters - mine is A1HGUDY8TUJMHK - and it identifies your KDP account. Theres no way for me to use that ID for anything, I cant look up your books or your account information or anything of the sort. I need to collect it so that the program can sync a few things across devices. Without it, youd need to pay a separate subscription fee if you want to use it on your iPad as well as your laptop. Assuming youre at the paid tier, of course.

Other than that, nothing about your KDP account is stored. None of the data from your reports - sales counts, titles, pen names, earnings - ever leaves your computer. The tool does tell the server whether you earned over $1000 last month, but that's a simple yes/no. No data is sent.

Worrying about third-parties is a really good thing to do, actually. I designed Book Report so that hopefully even the most privacy-minded authors can still use it comfortably. I really don't collect anything that isn't necessary for the app to function.

Hope that answers your questions!
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »
Ooh, pretty! I like.

Will someone please pass on my thanks to the developer, not only for the bookmarklet, but for his pricing policy. This minnow truly appreciates it.

Yeah not sure this guy knows what he's getting himself into.  I installed and watched the magic not happen, but again that is my issue not the program as I haven't sold any books today hehe.  It looks like I may be a free subscriber for quite some time LOL  ;D

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
Yeah not sure this guy knows what he's getting himself into.  I installed and watched the magic not happen, but again that is my issue not the program as I haven't sold any books today hehe.  It looks like I may be a free subscriber for quite some time LOL  ;D

I'm happy to have people using the tool for free! I wouldn't want to charge someone who's just starting out, or hasn't hit it big yet. If Book Report is useful enough, and you put in the work, hopefully it'll help you get a $1000 month!

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 10:29:20 AM »
I'm happy to have people using the tool for free! I wouldn't want to charge someone who's just starting out, or hasn't hit it big yet. If Book Report is useful enough, and you put in the work, hopefully it'll help you get a $1000 month!

Well the work is definitely being done, so IF that ever happens it will make two of us very happy indeed!  ;D

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 10:30:20 AM »
Looks awesome, Liam. Thank you!

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
Looks awesome, Liam. Thank you!

You're welcome! Hope you find it useful.

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »
This saves me shouting at my kids when they interrupt mommy's 'number' time (counting up KDP sales from various territories) Happy to pay $10 a month for less stress.

I'd just quit checking my sales stats once a day, and vowed to check them once a week instead. This makes me want to check them every hour all over again :D

Offline KOwrites

• Seattle
  • Writer | Dark, angsty love stuff
    • View Profile
    • Writer | Dark angsty love stuff - New Adult / Contemporary Romance
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 11:02:12 AM »
Whoa! This is great! Nicely done! Thank you...

Writer  |  Dark, angsty love stuff (I mean, stories)
Katherine Owen | Website | Facebook | Tumblr Blog | Website 2 | Twitter

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
This saves me shouting at my kids when they interrupt mommy's 'number' time (counting up KDP sales from various territories) Happy to pay $10 a month for less stress.

I'd just quit checking my sales stats once a day, and vowed to check them once a week instead. This makes me want to check them every hour all over again :D

It actually checks for new sales every five minutes, if you just leave it open in a tab! I know I have it running basically 24/7.

Offline jd_ruthers_85

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
Hey everyone! Liam here. I'm the programmer behind Book Report. I am listening!

To address the two main concerns/confusions:

1. The reason it's a subscription instead of an outright buy is that there are ongoing costs for me. I have to pay for a server to proxy requests to Amazon, so that you can have richer data like pen names and (soon) publication dates. And second, it takes up my time to maintain and improve. Bugs are found, Amazon changes the way things work, I need to put in the hours so that Book Report keeps on working. So basically, if it wasn't a monthly subscription, eventually the project would be losing me money and I'd have to shut it down. Subscriptions make it sustainable. I'll consider adding a yearly subscription for $100 option.

2. The numbers don't always match up. Bob Frost explained this one fairly well. The tool works by grabbing your sales data from Amazon's servers. And Amazon doesn't make sure that sales show up at the same time as their royalties. Sometimes you'll have a sales and $0 royalties. Sometimes you have some royalties and no sales. It's all rather confusing. You don't really notice it when you're looking at their standard reports, because everything is so broad, but with the fine grained detail this tool shows you, you will notice discrepancies. Don't worry about them too much. Your data should make sense by the time it's a day or two old.

Just let me know if you've got any other questions! I'll be around to answer them.

I would have no problems paying that yearly subscription, and I bet most won't, either. I couldn't find any details about how to purchase a subscription on your website, or are you still undecided about how to proceed with this?

Offline nonbreaking space

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
thanks so much for this, liam. it's fantastic.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »
I would have no problems paying that yearly subscription, and I bet most won't, either. I couldn't find any details about how to purchase a subscription on your website, or are you still undecided about how to proceed with this?

Okay, I will look into adding that option. The subscriptions are fully functioning - but at this point they only happen within the app, not on the site. You can find the form on your settings page. It will also be very clear how to pay if your trial expires and you're earning more then $1000/month. I'll add a $100/year option within two weeks, so that will be an option for you before your trial is up.

Offline jd_ruthers_85

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
Okay, I will look into adding that option. The subscriptions are fully functioning - but at this point they only happen within the app, not on the site. You can find the form on your settings page. It will also be very clear how to pay if your trial expires and you're earning more then $1000/month. I'll add a $100/year option within two weeks, so that will be an option for you before your trial is up.

LOL I was so mesmerized by all the pretty colors and numbers that I never got around to the Settings page. :)

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »
LOL I was so mesmerized by all the pretty colors and numbers that I never got around to the Settings page. :)

Haha. It's definitely a bit less dazzling than the other pages, but it's pretty functional! Setting your own estimated borrow rate is something a lot of people seem to like - so if you think the rate will drop, you can adjust all the estimates with ease.

Offline loganbyrne

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
Hopefully one day you could add Google Play as well.  That place is a nightmare to figure out your earnings with the Excel reports and the foreign currencies. 

Just got the tool and loving it!  I'll definitely subscribe once my trial is up!

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
First reaction: This is great  :). Useful and fun. What a lot of work someone has put in.

Second reaction: Hmm. Unlikely to be able to afford it, especially with the exchange rate  :'(. Wonder what it will cost?  ::)

Third reaction: Can it really be true that it's going to be FREE for those of us earning less than $1000 a month  :o (some of us are earning so little we could probably do the calculations on our fingers  :D )

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »
First reaction: This is great  :). Useful and fun. What a lot of work someone has put in.

Second reaction: Hmm. Unlikely to be able to afford it, especially with the exchange rate  :'(. Wonder what it will cost?  ::)

Third reaction: Can it really be true that it's going to be FREE for those of us earning less than $1000 a month  :o (some of us are earning so little we could probably do the calculations on our fingers  :D )

Reaction while reading this post:

:)

:o

:D

Glad you like it. Enjoy, and learn lots from your data!

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »
This part:  "Free for everyone for the first two weeks. See how much you can learn from your data.  Free for everyone earning less than $1000/month on KDP." is so incredibly gracious I almost wept. I'm hoping I don't qualify for the free spot and I won't mind paying if I don't.
So impressed with this--all of this--my heart is thumping.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
This part:  "Free for everyone for the first two weeks. See how much you can learn from your data.  Free for everyone earning less than $1000/month on KDP." is so incredibly gracious I almost wept. I'm hoping I don't qualify for the free spot and I won't mind paying if I don't.
So impressed with this--all of this--my heart is thumping.

Thank you for your kind words! I really don't want to be in the business of taking advantage of writers. I want to help them succeed, and then share in a small portion of that success! That way, our goals are aligned. We both want you to make money with your writing. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
Thank you for your kind words! I really don't want to be in the business of taking advantage of writers. I want to help them succeed, and then share in a small portion of that success! That way, our goals are aligned. We both want you to make money with your writing. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

So your next project is to write a programme that increases our sales  ;D ;D

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website