Free Parenting Tips AppFree Parenting Tips App

Author Topic: Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!  (Read 59584 times)  

Offline CelinaGrace

• View Profile
Re: Book Report - New Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
This is crack.  This is indie author crack.  They should just call it KDP Crack now and save time.

Once I'd mopped my G&T off the keyboard after reading this, I went and got it. Amazing!

One thing though and I appreciate it may just be me being thick, is it just tracking US sales when you first set it up? How do I see the other territory sales?

Dark and twisty tales
Celina Grace | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
One thing though and I appreciate it may just be me being thick, is it just tracking US sales when you first set it up? How do I see the other territory sales?

It tracks all the stores at once. Converts the royalties into your currency of choice, combines them, and displays that number.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »
I wish it could be paid for via Paypal. I really hate using my CC. But it's not a big enough thing for me to not subscribe.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »
I wish it could be paid for via Paypal. I really hate using my CC. But it's not a big enough thing for me to not subscribe.

Yeah, I wondered this too. PayPal is so much easier. I've never heard of this one.

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
I definitely hear what you guys are saying. I'll consider adding a Paypal option. But hear me out why I went the other way:

When you pay with Paypal, the person you pay gets to know who you are. Your real name, your real address, it's passed on to the seller. I don't want that information, and I know a lot of authors wouldn't be comfortable sending it to me. So I went with Stripe. They're just as trustworthy, just as secure, and all I see about you is your email address. You can use, and pay for, Book Report without ever giving me any of your private information, and I like it that way.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Offline CelinaGrace

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »
It tracks all the stores at once. Converts the royalties into your currency of choice, combines them, and displays that number.

Oh, I see - thanks. So presumably it converts currencies using that day's exchange rate? And (sorry if I'm asking too many questions) what time does it start tracking sales in 24 hours, i.e. which time zone?

Dark and twisty tales

Offline SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
Holy cow! This is awesome, Liam! Thank you!

(I could easily use up my daily quota of exclamation marks in this thread! ;D)

Alex A. King | Website

Offline NoahPorter

• Portland
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »
Any plans/methods to add D2D tracking compatibility? If I could get D2D and KDP in one spot with the same functionality, I'd pay a lot more than $10/month!

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
I definitely hear what you guys are saying. I'll consider adding a Paypal option. But hear me out why I went the other way:

When you pay with Paypal, the person you pay gets to know who you are. Your real name, your real address, it's passed on to the seller. I don't want that information, and I know a lot of authors wouldn't be comfortable sending it to me. So I went with Stripe. They're just as trustworthy, just as secure, and all I see about you is your email address. You can use, and pay for, Book Report without ever giving me any of your private information, and I like it that way.

^^^ This right here is huge. That was one of my primary concerns when I first talked with bookreport about this tool back when it was still just a prototype. It needs to have privacy at its core. We're authors and many of us are using pennames etc. Paypal can be set up in a private way, but most people just have it set up where it sends over your home address and full name when you hit purchase. That's not really private :(.

The way he has things set up, that's not an issue. Your sales data never leaves your computer, and your name/address are totally secret. Privacy is paramount.

Online Indiecognito

• Even I don't know who I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
I. LOVE. THIS.

Offline CelinaGrace

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »
Any plans/methods to add D2D tracking compatibility? If I could get D2D and KDP in one spot with the same functionality, I'd pay a lot more than $10/month!

^^^THIS! (getting greedy now but throw in Google Play and you've basically got me signed up for life :) )

Dark and twisty tales

Offline cbaku

• Humboldt County
  • Red cowboy boots: wearing.
    • View Profile
    • Carla Baku
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
It's a beautiful thing. I hope to have to pay for it sometime this year.  ;)
Carla Baku

"All around her the day looked as she might have expected, bright, the sun just skimming through the eastern peaks, the up-and-down song of little yellow-throated birds. In that moment she understood the nature of her life: an outlier."

~Chasing Down the Moon

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »

Makes sense, thanks.

Offline SnarkyMommy

• View Profile
    • SnarkyMommy
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
ZOMG.

I just showed this to my husband and he smiled and said, "You can only look at this at night. AFTER you write all day."

Online Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »
Okay, I'm semi-techy and I can't figure out how to install this. I have IE 11, maybe that is the problem? I have Google Chrome too, but I couldn't figure it out there either. I hate when I can't figure things out. :(
Ghostly Intentions: 100%

Nanowrimo project: 0%
"A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After."
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
Okay, I'm semi-techy and I can't figure out how to install this. I have IE 11, maybe that is the problem? I have Google Chrome too, but I couldn't figure it out there either. I hate when I can't figure things out. :(

Which part are you stuck at? Do you have your bookmarks bar - or favorites bar - showing? Did you click and drag the button to the bar? It should work fine on IE 11.

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2015, 01:30:45 PM »
Quick question, anyone know how to install this on iPad/iPhone? Can't drag & drop button  :'(

Online Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »
Which part are you stuck at? Do you have your bookmarks bar - or favorites bar - showing? Did you click and drag the button to the bar? It should work fine on IE 11.

This is why I said semi-techy. I got it to work on Google Chrome. Awesome tool. Thanks so much.
Ghostly Intentions: 100%

Nanowrimo project: 0%
"A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After."
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »
Oh, I see - thanks. So presumably it converts currencies using that day's exchange rate? And (sorry if I'm asking too many questions) what time does it start tracking sales in 24 hours, i.e. which time zone?

I really don't mind the questions! I'm just glad people are finding it useful/interesting.

The tool uses a recent exchange rate. I plan on implementing a daily exchange rate update, but right now I'm doing that part by hand. Things are never going to be totally accurate here, so I'm settling for an estimate.

As for the time zone... I'm not actually sure. It uses the same data source as the normal Sales Dashboard, so things should match up that way. I believe the sales might land on the day they were purchased during, according to the buyer's time zone? I don't know for sure - Amazon isn't very clear about these things.

Quick question, anyone know how to install this on iPad/iPhone? Can't drag & drop button  :'(

I plan on writing up a tutorial about how to install on various mobile devices. It's doable, but a bit of a hassle. What browser do you use on your iPad?

This is why I said semi-techy. I got it to work on Google Chrome. Awesome tool. Thanks so much.

Glad you figured it out. Enjoy learning from your data!

Offline Sever Bronny

• Victoria, BC, Canada
  • Coming of age fantasy author
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »
Awesome tool, thank you so much :D :D

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »

The easiest way is if you have a macbook. Just make the bookmark on the macbook and it'll automatically be in safari on the iPad as long as you have it logged into the same keychain etc.

Or, just use chrome. You can get bookmarks to carry from a logged-in google chrome account to an iPad :).

OR, if you want to do it purely on the iphone/ipad, here's what you do: First, you need to COPY a link. Here's the link, just highlight this and hold a finger over it until it lets you "copy":

javascript:(function()%7B%24('body').css('display'%2C'none')%3Bdocument.body.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).src%3D'https%3A%2F%2Fwww.getbookreport.com%2Fscripts%2Freport.js'%3B%7D)()%3B

You need to copy the whole thing.

Now,  Go bookmark something else, like www.google.com or something. Now go into bookmarks and hit the edit button. Finally, edit the bookmark with the exact bookmarklet link. Delete the link in the bookmark, then hold on the area and PASTE the link you copied in there. Finally, change the name of the bookmark to "thebookreport" or whatever.

That's the quick and dirty way to do it.

Offline doolittle03

• Quebec, Canada
  • don't distract me
    • View Profile
    • writing for her life
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
Oh my God, I love it. Somehow it's less discouraging than looking at the KDP dashboard. It's pretty and full of hope and uses the word "Bestsellers."

Thank you! I hope I have to cough up $10 sometime this year!

literary mystery and other stuff
Nadine Doolittle | writing for her life

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
I am bookmarking until I publish my second child.  No way do I need any derivative of KDP crack added to my world at this early stage.  Grin.

Thank you Liam!

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
The easiest way is if you have a macbook. Just make the bookmark on the macbook and it'll automatically be in safari on the iPad as long as you have it logged into the same keychain etc.

Or, just use chrome. You can get bookmarks to carry from a logged-in google chrome account to an iPad :).

OR, if you want to do it purely on the iphone/ipad, here's what you do: First, you need to COPY a link. Here's the link, just highlight this and hold a finger over it until it lets you "copy":

javascript:(function()%7B%24('body').css('display'%2C'none')%3Bdocument.body.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).src%3D'https%3A%2F%2Fwww.getbookreport.com%2Fscripts%2Freport.js'%3B%7D)()%3B

You need to copy the whole thing.

Now,  Go bookmark something else, like www.google.com or something. Now go into bookmarks and hit the edit button. Finally, edit the bookmark with the exact bookmarklet link. Delete the link in the bookmark, then hold on the area and PASTE the link you copied in there. Finally, change the name of the bookmark to "thebookreport" or whatever.

That's the quick and dirty way to do it.

Thanks for writing this up, Bob!

Offline MH Sargent

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
Okay, at first, I went to look at March and it didn't add up right with my records, but then I discovered you're pulling from all markets, not just the USA.

So now I can say:

OMG, this is SO impressive!!! I'm already hooked. I love it. And yes, I'd pay the $10 fee quite happily. Fantastic stuff. Thank you a million times over for taking all the time to do this. Take a bow.
M.H. Sargent