Free Parenting Tips AppFree Parenting Tips App

Author Topic: Book Report - New Safe Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!  (Read 59586 times)  

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
Re: Book Report - New Way to See KDP Stats in the browser!
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »
Thanks for writing this up, Bob!

Got it thanks! One thing I notice is if I set it by author it only seems to track about 80% of my stuff, whereas if I set it by book it gets them all - why would this be. If perhaps I've recently unpublished something itr have 2 diff Asins for same book in diff territories, does that cause confusion?

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »
Got it thanks! One thing I notice is if I set it by author it only seems to track about 80% of my stuff, whereas if I set it by book it gets them all - why would this be. If perhaps I've recently unpublished something itr have 2 diff Asins for same book in diff territories, does that cause confusion?

This is a bit of a technical limitation. Amazon doesn't make the author of an ASIN particularly easy to acquire, so I have to send requests through a proxy server to get them. The upshot is this: If a book isn't live on Amazon, there's no way for me to tell who the author is. So if you're organizing by authors, you're only going to see the books that are live.
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Click here to learn more!

Offline KaiW

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
Makes perfect sense, thanks so much. Would love a yearly sub option if possible too, amazing stuff  :)

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2015, 02:41:58 PM »
Can you clarify what you meant in an earlier post when you said your servers proxy the requests to Amazon? Doesn't that mean that our data is passing through your machines, even if you (claim you) are not storing it? Bit paranoid.

Sure. I don't blame you for being paranoid. Here's a breakdown.

Basically, there are two types of data that the tool uses:

1. Data from KDP. This includes all of your sales data, your borrows, your royalties, the titles of your books. Book Report can grab all of this information from your computer, so it never needs to touch our servers.

2. Data from the Amazon store. This is the information that isn't available on the normal KDP reports, therefore information that Book Report can't grab on it's own. Pen names, publication dates, and page count. So Book Report sends a list of your ASINs to a server, that server asks Amazon for the data, and sends that data back to your computer. This is what I refer to as the "proxy server". It doesn't store your ASINs, and your request isn't marked with your ID, so I couldn't trace them back to you even if I wanted to.

So that's how all the data is sent around by Book Report. It does take a certain level of trust to use any tool like this. I recommend taking a look at the Privacy Policy, if you haven't already. https://www.getbookreport.com/privacy

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to make you feel more secure!
I run Book Report. If you haven't tried it, please give it a shot. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Offline Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
Great tool, but there is one teensy weensy problem for those in leading time zones (such as Australia). Today's sales will usually be zero (except for the odd borrow) because we live in the world of tomorrow. Of course, we could just use the historical yesterday's sales page which displays today's sales.

Regardless, it's a bonza tool mate. 

Offline LKRigel

• west coast, north america
    • View Profile
    • Blog of LK Rigel
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »
I love it. :)

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
Great tool, but there is one teensy weensy problem for those in leading time zones (such as Australia). Today's sales will usually be zero (except for the odd borrow) because we live in the world of tomorrow. Of course, we could just use the historical yesterday's sales page which displays today's sales.

Regardless, it's a bonza tool mate. 

Hm. That's an interesting bug. When you visit the regular Sales Dashboard, do you see the same thing? Like, the right most red-and-blue points on the chart are right next to zero?

Good answer, thanks.

No problem! I really did build Book Report with privacy in mind, so I don't mind being totally transparent about it. Proxy servers seemed like a worthy trade-off for the extra data they can provide.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
This right here? This is why the indie movement is awesome. Thank you, Liam! :)

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
Hm. That's an interesting bug. When you visit the regular Sales Dashboard, do you see the same thing? Like, the right most red-and-blue points on the chart are right next to zero?

I'm another Aussie. You're correct, the right-most point on the KDP dash always shows 0 sales for us. It's the 14th here today, 9AM. On the dashboard, I see the 12th as showing a full day's worth of sales, the 13th is down by comparison but that's because the 13th hasn't finished in Amazonland, and the 14th is 0 and will stay that way all day today. As an Aussie, I'm used to this and fine with it. The Apple dash is the same. Kobo is the only one who use my local date/time on their dash.

The Book Report "Today" tab shows 0 and always will for us, so that page is just not one we will bother with. I LOVE the rest of it though, especially the comparison tab. Thank you so much!
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline heynonny

• hilarious one-liner here
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
This is amazing. I'm stunned to find out that I've cracked the $1000 club just this month, thanks to this tool. Thank you.
going incognito for now

Offline MySky

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Add my "awesome tool" kudos to your list.

Question:  What happens when you are on the cusp of the $1,000/month? For example, if I made $900.00 last month I would get the tool for free, but if I made $1,050 this month, would I suddenly be invoiced? Receive an on-line notice from month-to-month as to whether I am required to pay?

I am cuspy right now and did not see any payment info. Is that because only those who made over $1,000 got payment information re: credit cards, etc.? I have one book that falls in this category, but my WIP will publish this summer and if I am hoping it will put me permanently over that threshold. If that happens, do I suddenly get an on-line bill and offer for yearly discount?

My apologies in advance if these questions have already been answered. I went through the thread quickly and didn't see this addressed. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:15:18 PM by MySky »

Merry Freer

Offline KathyCarmichael

• Tampa, Florida
  • Where are my reading glasses?
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Carmichael's website
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2015, 05:30:29 PM »
I love this. Simply love this. Thank you so much, Liam!
Romantic Comedy & Humorous Mystery
Kathy Carmichael | Website | Facebook

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2015, 05:31:23 PM »
I love great data visualizations and Book Report definitely qualifies as a wonderful data visualizer.

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
Add my "awesome tool" kudos to your list.

Question:  What happens when you are on the cusp of the $1,000/month? For example, if I made $900.00 last month I would get the tool for free, but if I made $1,050 this month, would I suddenly be invoiced? Receive an on-line notice from month-to-month as to whether I am required to pay?

I am cuspy right now and did not see any payment info. Is that because only those who made over $1,000 got payment information re: credit cards, etc.? I have one book that falls in this category, but my WIP will publish this summer and if I am hoping it will put me permanently over that threshold. If that happens, do I suddenly get an on-line bill and offer for yearly discount?

My apologies in advance if these questions have already been answered. I went through the thread quickly and didn't see this addressed. Thanks!

A few people seem a bit confused by payments, so I'll lay it out.

So, first, how exactly does it choose whether you need to pay or not. If, during the last full calendar month, you earned more then $1000 USD, you need to sign up for a $10/month subscription once your free trial expires. It will be very clear when this happens - when you start to program, it will just bring you to a page telling you it's time to subscribe. There's a big button on that page, which leads to a credit card form, and once you've submitted your details, you will be charged $10 every month automatically. You'll be emailed a receipt for your records.

If your earnings dip back under $1000/month, your subscription will be automatically cancelled. You can also cancel at any time by emailing/messaging me.

On the settings page, you can see your "Subscription Level" - either free or paid. That tells if you'll be asked to pay once your trial is complete.

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
  • Engineer by Day Writer by Night
    • View Profile
    • WrittenByBrian
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2015, 06:04:48 PM »
Nicely done.

Offline MySky

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »
Thanks so much! This is my first month I would be eligible for the free reporting tool. Great timing - but I will gladly pay the $10 (fingers crossed it will be necessary) from here on out! Judging by this thread you have quite the fan club already.

Merry Freer

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »
I'd like to add a feature request. I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be great if the program could store past sales data on our computers and access that data so that we could see more than 90 days worth of graphs. :D

Obviously this would only work from the date we installed Book Report, but it would be a great way to combine this and our sales tracking programs. That way everything is under one program.

Offline Heather Hamilton-Senter

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »
Liam, this is amazing! I'm in love with it.

I will add another voice in wishing for Paypal though - I hardly ever use a credit card and tend to funnel the money I receive from book cover work directly into anything writing related.

Aside from that, I'm just so impressed and can hardly believe that Amazon reports weren't built with this sort of functionality and ease.

And it's pretty to look at too! :)

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
I'd like to add a feature request. I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be great if the program could store past sales data on our computers and access that data so that we could see more than 90 days worth of graphs. :D

Obviously this would only work from the date we installed Book Report, but it would be a great way to combine this and our sales tracking programs. That way everything is under one program.

This is actually already how it works. So feature request: Granted! The first day you use it, it learns about your previous 90 days. And it never forgets them!

Liam, this is amazing! I'm in love with it.

I will add another voice in wishing for Paypal though - I hardly ever use a credit card and tend to funnel the money I receive from book cover work directly into anything writing related.

Aside from that, I'm just so impressed and can hardly believe that Amazon reports weren't built with this sort of functionality and ease.

And it's pretty to look at too! :)

Okay, thanks for letting me know you'd prefer paypal. There seems to be a substantial number of you. I'll try to get something in the works before your free trials expire in two weeks.

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
This is actually already how it works. So feature request: Granted! The first day you use it, it learns about your previous 90 days. And it never forgets them!

Oh that is just amazing. Awesome!

Offline sela

• Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »
OMG this is freaking AMAZING!

Thank you! Glad to pay!

ETA: Just thinking out loud that if this data could be anonymized and uploaded, it could really be useful for Author Earnings reporting and give a really good picture of what kind of money indies are making.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:40:41 PM by Sela »

Offline pwtucker

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • TransientMe
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2015, 06:44:23 PM »
This is fantastic. Thank you for being so generous with your tool!

Offline Nick Endi Webb

• Huntsville, AL
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »
Dear Seor Bookreport,

This is wonderful. Thanks!

Some feature requests:

Could there be an option for a 30 day report? I see yesterday, last week, last fortnight, etc, but I usually use 30 days and I'm a creature of habit.

And... I can't remember the other ones, so they must not have been important enough.

Nick Webb | Website | Facebook

Offline BookReport

• View Profile
    • Book Report
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »
Dear Senor Bookreport,

This is wonderful. Thanks!

Some feature requests:

Could there be an option for a 30 day report? I see yesterday, last week, last fortnight, etc, but I usually use 30 days and I'm a creature of habit.

And... I can't remember the other ones, so they must not have been important enough.

Yes, that would be very easy to add. I will do that. Expect to see it added within a couple of days. For now, you could get that to happen with the Custom date pickers, but that's a bit of a hassle.

Offline Mr. RAD

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2015, 06:55:42 PM »
An amazing tool. :) Only wish I had sales so I can see all the pretty colors others have mentioned. :(

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac