API call did not execute successfully.
KB Featured
by Joan Hall Hovey
$2.99
Amazon | Details

Author Topic: Romance series writing tips  (Read 151 times)  

Online NewAuthorShannon

• View Profile
Romance series writing tips
« on: Today at 08:27:46 AM »
Does anyone know of any good tips, blogposts, or books about creating a standalone romance series?

I am really struggling to figure out how to plan the series. A conventional series with an overall narrative that connects every book is one thing, but its the standalone part I am struggling with.

My outline for the first book is going very well. My thought is to get that finished and then see which members of the cast can support their own self-contained books. After I identify those characters, I would go back and tweak my outline to support the continuation of the series.

I think it will work but it seems like there must be a better way to do it, so I am hoping more experienced authors are able to provide some guidance.
Thanks!

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
Re: Romance series writing tips
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:42:40 AM »
There are numerous books being advertised on newsletters today that are free, are part of a series, and are stand alones. I'm sure others will have some specific resources for you, but the best resource always is what's selling. Check some of them out and see what they have in common.

Online RH Tucker

• So Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:54:25 AM »
I'm not as weathered as possibly some other authors on this forum, but what I'm doing and from what I've read, you don't need to tweak your outline very much to support other characters. Thats the beauty of the standalone. What I've seen from other authors, (which is why I'm doing it) you have your Main Couple in book one. They have their friends, and you can mention "so and so does this" and boom. you have your next MC. What I've struggled with is delving to much in to a person's backstory in book one, because their story is book two. Elizabeth Briggs does this well in her Chasing The Dream series.

Another option I've seen is keeping the friends together in a way that's interconnected. Micaela Smeltzer has her Willow Creek series, where all the MC males are in a band together, so that's what links them.

I don't know if that helps, but there you go...  ???

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:48 AM »
I just launched a standalone series in November. All of my MC are women who live in the same town, and most of them went to high school together several years ago. Each book is about a different woman and a different holiday.  So far, it's doing pretty well (for me.)

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:47:03 AM »
Mine are related, but each story goes to another generation.  Not so much to remember that way and I can skip around a bit if i like. 

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Online Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:53:10 AM »
I often have people who were not introduced in any prior book. Other times they have been. You do not need backstory. Just a sense of who that character is.

Same town, same team, whatever. You also should have interactions with past characters seem natural and serve a purpose in the story. In my third book the characters from past books are only on a couple pages. That worked. In other books they are more intertwined. There are many ways to make it work. Maybe read some series in the tone and subgenre you are writing to get an idea how other authors do it.

« Last Edit: Today at 10:02:07 AM by Usedtoposthere »