Author Topic: So my first novel was launched on Amazon this morning...  (Read 3546 times)  

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
Re: So my first novel was launched on Amazon this morning...
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »
Congrats!!! And here's to paying the bills and having enough left over for a cold one :)

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »
Good luck!

My friend is in KU and I asked him to download your book.

=  )
Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1) developmental editing: 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4) prologue: 6%

world-building and conlang for new series: 1%
H.C. Harrington

Offline Kay Camden

• Midwestern USA
    • View Profile
    • kaycamden.com
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
Great work on the Amazon author page. ;) Now all these people reading your book can click Follow and be the first to buy the next one!
Twisty plots with smart heroines, haunted heroes, ancient feuds, forbidden love, magic, and revenge.
Kay Camden | kaycamden.com

Online Yayoi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2018, 10:08:25 PM »
Got my amazon author page up this morning! :)

On my list for today is my BookBub author page, Goodreads author page, and finishing up my submission to Cora's Sci-Fi fiction showcase.

As for the launch, my sales held steady, but my KENP died Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. I had no real advertising or promo activities going except for NewInBooks on Wednesday. I got 4 sales Tuesday, 4 Wednesday, and 2 on Thursday. Less than 200 KENP per day. And then two things happened. 1) I got a spate of awesome reviews (now up to 15, 4.3 average, and the negative ones were pushed off the front page), and my BooksGoSocial promotion started Friday.

KENP exploded from 47 on Thursday, to 900+ Friday, 2200+ (best showing ever for me) on Saturday, and 678 so far this morning. Sold my first two paperbacks on Friday; and sustained four books per day sales. (I was hoping to break the 4 book per day limit, but not complaining! :) ).

Between ebooks, paperbacks (only two haha), and KENP reads, I've sold about 50 books in ten days.

33 percent to my strech goal of 150 in May/June, and paying that light bill. :)

While the BooksGoSocial promotion will go for the next couple of months with tweets, I'm going to stand down other promotional activities. I have a few I booked for right at the end of my 30 day opening period, but aside from that, I'm going to put my energy (and funds) into the next novel.

Once its completed, I'll try (and very likely fail) to get a bookbub for the first one, do a big free promotion, and hope to drive some tail to the second novel as so many have done before.

Even if I get to my goal of 150 books sold, I won't come near to making a dime off this book, but I expected that. I invested in quality editting (four rounds of it), book cover, promotions etc, knowing that it will take time, great reviews, promotions/organic discussion and luck to get there.

Its the start of the journey. Who knows where it will lead. :)

I've gotten alot of great advice - thank you all for that. Hope I can pass it forward someday, and I'll continue to share what works/doesn't in terms of promotions and ads.

Until then, I've got 1500 words a day to write! :)

Hi Daniel,

Congratulations! So you mean when you uploaded your book you never did any promotions at first? How about ARCs (Advanced Review Copies) - did you have any? Do you even have a mailing list? What promotions are you planning to do now? Will watch your progress because I'm interested in your story.

Good luck dude!

Offline DanielGibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 04:07:57 AM »
Thanks Kay! :) I'm eventually going to do one of those pictures of the back of my head or something. That might be amusing. (Riffing off the Lemony Snickett picture.)

Yayoi -

When I uploaded the book and first published, I did several promotions. I did a couple of "blog tours" for my book. I'm not sure if that really did anything for me or not. I got a few sales, but I can't really quantify what sales came from where. I also did a Hidden Gems ARC. (As everyone else has said, those are great.) I did NewInBooks (the same people who do BarginBooksy and FreeBooksy); when it went live I had one of my best days - 3 sales and 2000 KENP reads. The cost of the NewInBooks in no way remotely covered the sales though. (the same goes for all promos I ran except AwesomeGang. I got several sales from them and I think that promo covered its cost. Vinny was awesome to work with too.) So I won't do that one again, but the entire point was to drive some traffic and sales to me, an otherwise unknown, as I imagine people saying who the heck is this Daniel Gibbs dude and why does he think he's worth nearly 4 bucks of my hard earned money for his first book. ;)

As I was saying to another author yesterday, the cost of the promos and ads I ran far outstripped any return on the first book, but if I keep chugging along and get to that 100-150 sales number, I'll count it as a major success at least in my mind; heck I was blown away when I got to 10 books sold, and hopefully when the time comes to release the second and third book, I have enough reviews to get some decent promotions, a snow ball's chance in hell of a bookbub, and then put together a ton of free downloads that turn into sales of book 2 and 3. The idea is simple....the execution is of course not easy.

I'm back in learning mode; I as suspect I will be for years to come. :)

So Fight I - Echoes of the Past Book 2: 35%

I Have Fought a Good Fight - Echoes of the Past Book 3: 5%
Daniel Gibbs | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »
Hey Daniel

Congrats to you and if there is anything I can do to help further just let me know. It is nice working with you.

Offline JeanetteRaleigh

• View Profile
    • Jeanette Raleigh
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I was trying to figure out whether Newinbooks.com would be worth the cost or not.  I'm still decided how to proceed with an upcoming launch...

Moon Struck is currently FREE

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2018, 11:33:23 PM »
My personal goal is to hit 150 sales in May/June. Why 150? Because I can pay my light bill with 150 sales. I love the Stephen King quote that if you can publish a book and pay your light bill with it, you have talent. So here's to paying my light bill in June with book sale proceeds. :)

Geez. How high is your light bill? 150 sales at a royalty of about $2.80 is about $420.
The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 95%

City of Time: 29%

Beware The Boogerman: 99%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\\\\\'s blog | My artist\\\\\\\'s blog

Offline DanielGibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 05:21:28 AM »
Its about 300 bucks a month... its higher in the summer, lower in winter, but I do the even payment thing so its easy to budget for. Got to account for taxes too. :)
So Fight I - Echoes of the Past Book 2: 35%

I Have Fought a Good Fight - Echoes of the Past Book 3: 5%
Daniel Gibbs | Website | Twitter | Facebook