Author Topic: Giving up on series and going back to standalones...  (Read 1302 times)  

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Re: Giving up on series and going back to standalones...
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 02:01:54 PM »
I think the keyword here is might. I know that it often quoted as a maxim that standalones don't sell, so write a series because that's what readers like. But I am not that kind of reader, and I'm probably not the only one. As a reader, I love authors. If I find an author I like, he or she could write a series or standalone--doesn't matter. As long as it's in a similar genre to what I like to read, I am willing to read anything by that author. And if I like him or her enough, I am even willing to read their experiments outside of their usual genres (though there needs to be a decent body of work for this to happen).

My favorite authors usually do a mixture of both series and standalones, but it is their work that drives me to pick up the new release, not because it is necessarily a continuation of a story. And I think it could be worth it for indie authors to play the long game and focus on writing great fiction within certain genre (admittedly some genres do lend themselves to series more than others), instead of necessarily trying to stick to certain maxims. If you're good and writing fiction readers want to read, it can sell.

You're not the only one.  When I read a book by a 'new' (new to me) author, and I find out it's part of a series--a serialized series--I'll toss the book down and not read any of the other books.  Unless, that is, I'm really, really captivated by the story, in which case I'm thrilled to find a new author to read.  But to be honest, very few books I read are what I consider to be that good.   So, unless I'm familiar with the author, I generally stick to non-serialized books.

Also, some folks have mentioned that in a series-series, the author can really only promote the first book, but if it's a series in which books are only loosely connected, any book can be promoted, and the books don't have to read in any particular order.  (Win-win! 8) )
Jena

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 02:31:27 PM »
I have a serialized series that I'm writing with another author.  It's a long story and we're breaking it into separate books.  They don't really stand alone, but it's what works with the story.

There are many, many characters and several story lines.  Hopefully, people will enjoy the first one enough to want to keep reading.  It's also got a very cool mansion filled with secret rooms and hidden spaces. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 03:10:01 PM »
There are many, many characters and several story lines.  Hopefully, people will enjoy the first one enough to want to keep reading.  It's also got a very cool mansion filled with secret rooms and hidden spaces. :)

My first book under my real name was a horror book about such a place.  :D

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 03:14:47 PM »
Plan B
Wrote a part 4 that could be read as a standalone.
Explained in the description that people should read #4 and the rest as prequel, and ran a promo.
Did great (for me) with people reading #4 and then backtracking through the other 3.
Recommend using the series as more of a string of standalones rather than a serial.
As, for example, James Bond and Flashman. Two of the best series ever written.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 03:32:35 PM »
My first book under my real name was a horror book about such a place.  :D

Do you promote it at Halloween?

Ours isn't quite as scary, more of a mystery/romance with a little magic. 

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline firstdraft

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 04:17:01 PM »
Just write what you want to. The whole thing that a series sells better is a bit of a myth, just as many standalones if not more are in the best sellers.

People on here will say they make money on here from series, well that's cause it's easier to continue a series that has already got a following than write 5 different successful standalones. But for every person on here with a successful series there are heaps with a series that never got off the ground with sales.

If you have a successful standalone there is always an option to turn it into a series. The organic growth of a series is what readers love.

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 04:34:46 PM »
Just write what you want to. The whole thing that a series sells better is a bit of a myth, just as many standalones if not more are in the best sellers.

People on here will say they make money on here from series, well that's cause it's easier to continue a series that has already got a following than write 5 different successful standalones. But for every person on here with a successful series there are heaps with a series that never got off the ground with sales.

If you have a successful standalone there is always an option to turn it into a series. The organic growth of a series is what readers love.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. You have me feeling optimistic about standalone sales...that is if I can deliver a worthy product.  :)

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 10:13:39 PM »
I wrote stand alone novels in the same universe for the most part in SF. Different settings, different characters, so definitely stand alone. Then I started my Fantasy series, which I am in the process of finalising the first trilogy in that world. There may be more at a later date, but I am ready to dangle my feet in my SF works again. The first in the trilogy performed really quite well on launch, and at that point it was the only one, so I don't think being a series had any baring on that. Some of the stand alone books performed similarly. I have read that having the third released has an impact, but will have to wait and see on that score.
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series