KB Featured

by

$
Kindle Edition published 2016-12-10
Bestseller ranking: 289232

Product Description
Where is Adam?

Julie Raynes’ husband has been missing for six months. Devastated and confused, she refuses to believe that he would leave her voluntarily, though her best friend thinks differently. However, her Aunt Alice, a psychic, tells her Adam has been murdered, and when she reveals how she knows this, any hope that Adam is still alive, dissipates.

The police are also beginning to believe that Adam Raynes was murdered. And Julie is their prime suspect. Her life in ruins, Julie vows to hunt down whoever is responsible for Adam’s murder and make them pay for their crime.

In the meantime, David Gray, a young man who was pulled from a lake by a fisherman when he was 9 years old, wakens from a coma after nearly two decades. Unknown to Julie, Adam and David share a dark connection, a darkness that threatens to devour both of them, in a terrifying race with death.

Author Topic: I need help with a trope  (Read 137 times)  

Online EmmaGreenfield

• View Profile
    • Emma Greenfield
I need help with a trope
« on: Today at 09:06:26 AM »
I write romance.

I'm starting a new book. I've made the Hero believe the Heroine is a boy because of how she looks. They're marooned on a deserted island. She's been there for years, he just got there. She looks like an attractive boy, is unintentionally wearing boyish clothes.

Anyways, for the life of me I can't think of a satisfying way to reveal her true gender to him. Having him just realize it from studying her face for awhile just feels like I'm missing an opportunity. What do you think?

Emma Greenfield/Claire Locke

Online RBN

• View Profile
Re: I need help with a trope
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:12:56 AM »
Menstruation is kind of a giveaway...

Online RE Johnston

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:25:14 AM »
Possibly lack of facial hair?

Online Spinneyhead

• Salford, England
    • View Profile
    • Spinneyhead
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:43:41 AM »
She could strip off for a swim, though that may be too voyeuristic/titillating. (Alternatively, he could strip for a swim, prompting her to point and go "What's that?")

Depending upon how old she was when she landed on the island, she may have picked up some societal conditioning about what a girl should do/ how she should behave. Perhaps a few words or phrases that aren't what the male character would expect from another man could begin to give it away.

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:46:54 AM »
Reversed but relevant: The Crying Game.

How about she comes on to him, he says "No, I'm straight," then she, uh, demonstrates that she's a woman.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Online D. Zollicoffer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:49:50 AM »
I've seen this before. It usually happens by having a character undress. Simple, yet effective. Heck, you could have him get naked in front of her and act surprised when she blushes and turns away, or calls him a pervert. I wouldn't overthink it. Good luck.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:52:39 AM by D. Zollicoffer »

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:51:56 AM »
Other stories have used the idea that the character gets injured and the person finds out while dressing a wound.  Who else is going to do it on a deserted island?

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Online EmmaGreenfield

• View Profile
    • Emma Greenfield
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:01:48 AM »
Awesome ideas. I knew I came to the right place to ask this!

she smells and he thinks he needs to teach her about personal hygiene, so he strips to take a bath and throws her in too. He's in for a surprise. 

Emma Greenfield/Claire Locke