Free Parenting Tips AppFree Parenting Tips App

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1596977 times)  

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2015, 09:42:01 PM »
Okay, first: OMIGOD, I WAS SELECTED FOR PUBLICATION. At exactly 12:07 AM tonight, which is precisely forty-eight hours after the nomination closed. That seems to be the drill now, so I made sure I stayed up for it.

I know it's not all caps Wednesday, but I had to get that out of my system. I hope I will be forgiven by all and sundry.

And, Salvador, you are welcome for the hosting help. Glad to do it. we Indies need to stick together. Although, I guess I'm a hybrid now. How exciting.

Okay, I have to go read the Welcome to Kindle Press email again and pinch myself a lot. And then have someone else read it just to make sure it's really addressed to me and not some big mistake :-)

WOW!  Congrats Jill, that is GREAT news (I'll join you for an exception to all CAPS Wednesday, LOL).

Okay, so now the contract states that you must provide the members of kboards, and specifically the Writer's Caf, with all details on the process in a timely fashion.  So we look forward to hearing about your experience with Kindle Press.

Oh, and I get a free ebook now, hehe  :D

Just wonderful!

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »
Okay, first: OMIGOD, I WAS SELECTED FOR PUBLICATION. At exactly 12:07 AM tonight, which is precisely forty-eight hours after the nomination closed. That seems to be the drill now, so I made sure I stayed up for it.

I know it's not all caps Wednesday, but I had to get that out of my system. I hope I will be forgiven by all and sundry.

And, Salvador, you are welcome for the hosting help. Glad to do it. we Indies need to stick together. Although, I guess I'm a hybrid now. How exciting.

Okay, I have to go read the Welcome to Kindle Press email again and pinch myself a lot. And then have someone else read it just to make sure it's really addressed to me and not some big mistake :-)

AWESOME!

I am super happy for you!

Offline Genevieve Mckay

• Pacific
    • View Profile
    • Genevieve Mckay Blog
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »
Just posted to my, sadly neglected, Blog tonight to celebrate my new release! Super exciting as it's only my second book. I'm looking forward to participating in the Speculative Fiction blog as well and will post a link when it's up.  ;D

http://authorgenevievemckay.blogspot.ca/

Genevieve Mckay | Facebook Author Page | Twitter | Website

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2015, 04:58:53 AM »

Congratulations! I got an email this morning that said:

"Congratulations! Your Kindle Scout nomination The Familiar: Book One in the Bad Tom Series has been selected for publication by Kindle Press.

As a thank you for your time and great taste we are going to send you a free copy of the book before it is officially published. We'll let you know when your early, free copy is available for download."

Please keep us up to date on the process, and I look forward to reading it. :)

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2015, 07:08:04 AM »
Okay, first: OMIGOD, I WAS SELECTED FOR PUBLICATION.

That's awesome! I just got my email saying you were selected! I'm looking forward to reading The Familiar. Going to PM you now. :)
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2015, 07:35:21 AM »
Thanks Salvador, BR, Bradford, and Donna! I don't want to make this thread about me, but I did want to let you know how much appreciate it. I'm still calling all my friends and annoying them about it.

Bradford, that book cover rocks! Had not seen it before. Good luck with it. I just grabbed a copy. Here's hoping I have time to read it.

I will be happy to update about the Kindle Scout process as things go along, if I can add anything else to the discussion.

Good luck to everyone who's reading this and is going to be seeking nominations soon!

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
Cagnes, Jill took your banner and we ran with it girl!  You two are awesome, many, many thanks!  :-*

You're welcome, glad it worked out. I nominated your book & got a couple family members to do so as well. Sure hope it makes the cut, I'm rooting for you!  :D

Congratulations! I got an email this morning that said:

"Congratulations! Your Kindle Scout nomination The Familiar: Book One in the Bad Tom Series has been selected for publication by Kindle Press.

As a thank you for your time -- and great taste -- we are going to send you a free copy of the book before it is officially published. We'll let you know when your early, free copy is available for download."

Please keep us up to date on the process, and I look forward to reading it. :)

I was happy to find that message in my email. Congrats Jill, looking forward to reading it too!  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »
MARKETING TIP for your Kindle Scout Campaign:

Amazon has you prepare a thank you letter they will send out after your campaign. This last line of mine read, "To stay updated on the series, you can sign up for my New Books Notification Newsletter at (mysignuplink)."

Less then 24 hours after that email went out, I've had twenty new signups on my mailing list. You don't even want to know how long it normally takes me to collect twenty signups on my mailing. You don't.

You can see the obvious benefit here for marketing your book even if it isn't selected, because these are people who really want to read that book. Don't waste that opportunity!

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »

Amazon has you prepare a thank you letter they will send out after your campaign. This last line of mine read, "To stay updated on the series, you can sign up for my New Books Notification Newsletter at (mysignuplink)."

Less then 24 hours after that email went out, I've had twenty new signups on my mailing list. You don't even want to know how long it normally takes me to collect twenty signups on my mailing. You don't.

You can see the obvious benefit here for marketing your book even if it isn't selected, because these are people who really want to read that book. Don't waste that opportunity!

Agreed and noted, thanks Jill!

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2015, 06:53:19 PM »

Pro tip for sure! I'll make sure I add that to mine before launch!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:19:53 PM by Bbates024 »

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2015, 08:36:47 AM »
Wow, you go away to the beach for an internet free week and look what happens!! 

Huge congrats to Jill!  That's amazing news.  Please keep us posted!!

Salvador: I just nominated you.  Fingers very crossed.  Pls keep us posted.

This is amazing info about the program.  (I'm in editing mode and will submit hopefully end August.)

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
Wow, you go away to the beach for an internet free week and look what happens!! 

Salvador: I just nominated you.  Fingers very crossed.  Pls keep us posted.

This is amazing info about the program.  (I'm in editing mode and will submit hopefully end August.)

Yep my book is with the editor now, as soon as it comes back I'll format it and put it up. Hopefully by this weekend.

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
  • Engineer by Day Writer by Night
    • View Profile
    • WrittenByBrian
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »

Congrats! Very exciting.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Congrats! Very exciting.

Thanks, guys. I have now descended into a decidedly Indie frame of mind, grumbling to myself, "But, but...I can't control my keywords, my marketing, or ANYTHING?" :-)

I didn't realize how controlling I am and how well-suited I am to self-publishing. Sheesh.

But I'm still really excited, don't get me wrong. I just feel like I'll be more of an observer in the life of the book now than I am with my other books.

Yep my book is with the editor now, as soon as it comes back I'll format it and put it up. Hopefully by this weekend.

Cool news. Now you and Salvador can compete for those precious H&T slots. Heh.

I'm glad to hear that your book is going to editing before you submit. A lot of the books that are showing up now--I'm always on the lookout for cheap reads--are clearly not edited and/or proofread by qualified individuals, and they are being passed over. Just my observation, but I think the better an author takes care of these things in advance, the more likely the Scout team is to consider the book. Also, it is more likely that a picky reader such as myself is going to nominate it.

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2015, 02:07:48 PM »

Cool news. Now you and Salvador can compete for those precious H&T slots. Heh.

I'm glad to hear that your book is going to editing before you submit. A lot of the books that are showing up now--I'm always on the lookout for cheap reads--are clearly not edited and/or proofread by qualified individuals, and they are being passed over. Just my observation, but I think the better an author takes care of these things in advance, the more likely the Scout team is to consider the book. Also, it is more likely that a picky reader such as myself is going to nominate it.

Salvadore you are going down! buahahahaha

Not really, gosh I hope we both get picked. I still have your book saved in my list and nothing would make me happier than seeing another Kboarder get a deal! I'll post again after I get everything uploaded. Come on editor come on! :-)

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »

I didn't realize how controlling I am and how well-suited I am to self-publishing. Sheesh.

I can appreciate this sentiment.  But undoubtedly the pros outweigh the cons. 

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2015, 02:32:34 PM »
Salvadore you are going down! buahahahaha

Not really, gosh I hope we both get picked. I still have your book saved in my list and nothing would make me happier than seeing another Kboarder get a deal! I'll post again after I get everything uploaded. Come on editor come on! :-)

Hehe, I've already come down LOL.  After the initial surge I've spent the rest of my time in the basement.  My only hope would be that some slots open up as I get down to my last week and then my book gets selected.  If not, I'll be bummed a bit, but I've enjoyed the self-publishing part so far.  I may go wide with this book if not selected and/or use it as a free book for signups to my newsletter.

I wish you luck too and will be sure to check your book out once it's up there.  Be sure to post so we know.  :)

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
Hehe, I've already come down LOL.  After the initial surge I've spent the rest of my time in the basement.  My only hope would be that some slots open up as I get down to my last week and then my book gets selected.  If not, I'll be bummed a bit, but I've enjoyed the self-publishing part so far.  I may go wide with this book if not selected and/or use it as a free book for signups to my newsletter.

I wish you luck too and will be sure to check your book out once it's up there.  Be sure to post so we know.  :)

From my observations (which, in this case also actually makes sense), you will get the most organic notice with saves and nominations when you are new on the site due to the visiblility of being on the front page. You will then get organic notice at the end when you return to the front page in the "Ending Soon" section. This is also the time period when people who saved the book will put it in their nominations list as other nominations roll off.

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
From my observations (which, in this case also actually makes sense), you will get the most organic notice with saves and nominations when you are new on the site due to the visiblility of being on the front page. You will then get organic notice at the end when you return to the front page in the "Ending Soon" section. This is also the time period when people who saved the book will put it in their nominations list as other nominations roll off.

Ah, yes, that exactly is what I'm hoping for :)

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »
I've just nominated it, Salvador. Looks like a great book.

I keep looking at Kindle Scout - but I don't think the program is open for us Canadians to try.

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »
I've just nominated it, Salvador. Looks like a great book.

I keep looking at Kindle Scout - but I don't think the program is open for us Canadians to try.

Thanks Steve.  I'm confused as well about the citizenship requirements to submit.  I thought an author simply had to have a Tax ID number for the US in order to submit, but I've read others that stated this wasn't the case.  Since I'm a US citizen, I haven't researched the matter enough to know one way or the other.  I'd hope they would allow any author to enter.  Books cross national borders.

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
Salvador, I just sent a sci fi fan to your nomination page.  My friend is now eagerly awaiting your book - either free when you are selected or he'll buy it when you self publish.  You are obviously doing something right!  He read your whole entry.  :)

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
I'm finally in review now. That took much longer than expected due to some editorial delays. My poor editor had a rough go the last couple of weeks but came through in the end.

I guess now I have a couple days to wait until the review process is over.

That should give me enough to time to get my other book off to the proofreader. :-)

Or not they already approved it...Maybe an hour after submission. Campaign Starts on the 13th.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:35:04 PM by Bbates024 »

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
Salvador, I just sent a sci fi fan to your nomination page.  My friend is now eagerly awaiting your book - either free when you are selected or he'll buy it when you self publish.  You are obviously doing something right!  He read your whole entry.  :)

Well you haven't talked to my wife lately, have you? Hehe  :P

That is most gracious of you, and I'm tickled pink that anyone took the time to read what I wrote.  I'm only in my sixth full month of being a (self) published author and as most of us probably do, we pour our heart and souls into these books and it's wonderful when someone gets a kick from reading them.

I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.  Fantasy is my passion, but I'll be damn if I didn't feel so comfortable writing a Sci-Fi Techno-Thriller.  It felt like putting on an old, but favorite sweater when it's cold outside.  Probably I read too much of Clancy's work when I was in my early twenties LOL.  Well Grisham and Crichton as well.

Time is getting short, I'll find out soon, one way or the other :)

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
I'm finally in review now. That took much longer than expected due to some editorial delays. My poor editor had a rough go the last couple of weeks but came through in the end.

I guess now I have a couple days to wait until the review process is over.

That should give me enough to time to get my other book off to the proofreader. :-)

Or not they already approved it...Maybe an hour after submission. Campaign Starts on the 13th.

Good luck Bates, I look forward to reading your excerpt.  Exciting news!  8)