KB Featured Book
My Claw is Quick
by R. S. Pyne

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-29
Bestseller ranking: 3229473

Product Description
A hard-boiled detective story with a difference - Grimalkin is not your usual PI. Four legs, whiskers and a tail, perfect night vision and a talent for breaking and entering .... and a track record of crazy dames trying to kill him. He is also the only cat in history with a clown phobia. The case takes an even weirder twist when it becomes clear that a power-crazed parrot is calling all the shots. Sam Spade never had to deal with hysterical gerbil witnesses, pirate assassins or death by custard.

At 10,250 words in length, this is the first in a series of short stories featuring a very unconventional Private Investigator....

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1585564 times)  

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #15475 on: March 21, 2017, 05:46:25 AM »
I'm not sure that TP does do much more editing these days. A lot of agents do lots of developmental work on novels before submitting because there are fewer editors at TP houses now and so the books need to be near perfect before they are submitted. They also need to be pretty much the finished article because the decision is made by sales people not editors, so they aren't readers who understand potential.

I absolutely agree that not all trad deals are better - far from it. I turned one down myself for this novel. Increasingly publishers want all rights, for everywhere and everything, for very little upfront investment, and no guarantee of serious marketing. To that extent yes, I see KP as a small imprint but with much better terms than a lot of trads.

This is true. One kind of nifty thing I don't know if everyone heard about: Kindle Press, for the first time, started designing new covers for selected authors. About 10 authors just got new covers in anticipation of the huge kindle scout anniversary sale that just started. The new covers are pretty amazing and probably cost a lot of money, so it'll be interesting to see if sales of those titles pick up a lot.

The sale is at this location if anyone wants to see a huge grouping of selected books. All of the books are marked down, and Amazon is promoting it pretty heavily.

Offline Paul Kohler

• Littleton, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • PaulKohler.net
« Reply #15476 on: March 21, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
Hey, all! I want to run my latest collaborative space disaster novel through the KS grinder, especially since Kindle Press passed on my War of the Worlds sequel last fall. I want to have the campaign and decision over before my appearance at Phoenix Comicon. Anything new since last time that I need to know about?
Hey, Mark! Good to see another familiar face here. I'm JUST about to finish up my final edits for my latest novel before submitting to KS again. I've been poking my head in and around here since my run last year, and although there's a few things different, It looks like most things are running the same. Good luck to you!

Paul
Detour, Book Two of the Humanity's Edge Trilogy is now available! Click the cover today!
Paul B. Kohler | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #15477 on: March 21, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »
Hey, Mark! Good to see another familiar face here. I'm JUST about to finish up my final edits for my latest novel before submitting to KS again. I've been poking my head in and around here since my run last year, and although there's a few things different, It looks like most things are running the same. Good luck to you!

Paul

Same here. I keep nominating and watching the conversation and trying to prep for another KS novel.

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #15479 on: March 21, 2017, 06:07:11 AM »
DJ, Tani, so sorry. I backed them both. At least you didn't wait long. I'm on day 10 and not a peep.

Got the top three nominated. Everyone else saved. if i can I'll get some others on my Mum's account later. Luck all.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:09:33 AM by Louise Cole »

Published as Louise Cole and as a 'Marisa Hayworth' writer
Louise Cole

Offline JoAnn Franklin

• View Profile
    • JoAnn Franklin Writer
« Reply #15480 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:21 AM »
I don't know if this blog post has ever been posted on this thread but it's a good one to help shed some light on the current state of KP.

https://janefriedman.com/kindle-press-made-novel-bestseller/

Agreed.  Jane has a blog called Electric Speed and her previous blogs there turned up a KS campaign as a tool for a book launching promo.  That read was why I decided to try Kindle Scout. 

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
    • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
« Reply #15481 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »

Oh also, anyone else notice that they picked a historical fiction today/yesterday (not sure when the email went out!) That seems to be outside of the norm!

His Mysterious Lady is by Mrs PG, for those of you who read The Passive Voice.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #15482 on: March 21, 2017, 07:12:58 AM »
I don't know if this blog post has ever been posted on this thread but it's a good one to help shed some light on the current state of KP.

https://janefriedman.com/kindle-press-made-novel-bestseller/
Another satisfied customer of Kindle Scout!

It's an interesting comment on the state of the industry that agents and publishers can't always identify a book that will sell, but they come running when someone they turned down starts selling. :P

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #15483 on: March 21, 2017, 07:16:47 AM »
Another satisfied customer of Kindle Scout!

It's an interesting comment on the state of the industry that agents and publishers can't always identify a book that will sell, but they come running when someone they turned down starts selling. :P

It's just the way it is. It's hard to predict what will sell but easy to see what's already making money.

Louise Cole

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #15484 on: March 21, 2017, 07:20:15 AM »
I'm not sure that TP does do much more editing these days. A lot of agents do lots of developmental work on novels before submitting because there are fewer editors at TP houses now and so the books need to be near perfect before they are submitted. They also need to be pretty much the finished article because the decision is made by sales people not editors, so they aren't readers who understand potential.

I absolutely agree that not all trad deals are better - far from it. I turned one down myself for this novel. Increasingly publishers want all rights, for everywhere and everything, for very little upfront investment, and no guarantee of serious marketing. To that extent yes, I see KP as a small imprint but with much better terms than a lot of trads.
I've heard from others that TPs sometimes do less editing these days and that agents are picking up more of the load. That's a little scary, since the original agent skill set is probably quite different from an editor's. I'm sure some must know how to edit, but do they all?

I recall an author sharing a story some time back about having an acquisitions editor fall in love with her book--only to have the sales department, after looking at a brief synopsis, say no.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline JPDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #15485 on: March 21, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
I've nominated the entries by J.M., Kody, and Claire. Best of luck to you!
JP

JP David, author of mystery and suspense
JP David | Website

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #15486 on: March 21, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »
I've heard from others that TPs sometimes do less editing these days and that agents are picking up more of the load. That's a little scary, since the original agent skill set is probably quite different from an editor's. I'm sure some must know how to edit, but do they all?

I recall an author sharing a story some time back about having an acquisitions editor fall in love with her book--only to have the sales department, after looking at a brief synopsis, say no.
I think most agents these days are pretty good at editing. There are a few in the UK who don't do it but it's considered old fashioned now not to have it as part of your skill set. My agent was the publishing director of the kids lit department in one of the big five but left to become an agent. She said they had had 12 editors three years before - when she left they had just four for the same number of books.

I had on editor say she loved my book "but I know I can't take this to an acquisitions meeting. We're just not allowed to buy YA fantasy any more."

Louise Cole

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #15487 on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
Questions, my clever compadres
1. Has anyone ever had to wait the full 15 days?
2. I am trying to produce some shorts in Sigil and the stories are fine but on ADE only a small segment of the cover displays and in Calibre it's got a blank page before it and three afterwards. I've double checked the code and I've made the image even smaller than recommended (1500x2250 rather than 1600x2400) but nothing makes a difference.

I am thinking of taking a hammer to my computer to punish it for this utter failure to understand my needs. if you don't want to help me, take pity on my poor loyal 'puter. Thank you.

Louise Cole

Offline SG

• View Profile
« Reply #15488 on: March 21, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »

Looks like the wait is finally over ;D

CONGRATS!!! You won!

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #15489 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
Congrats Louise!

Sadly a Cat on a burrito flying through space is not for Kindle Scout. It's ok, I will let it go free in the world. Thanks for all the support I've gotten here!

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline J.G. McKenney

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • J.G. McKenney
« Reply #15490 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
Congrats, Louise!

J.G. McKenney | website

Offline ritastradling

• Arcata
    • View Profile
    • Rita Stradling Books
« Reply #15491 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
2. I am trying to produce some shorts in Sigil and the stories are fine but on ADE only a small segment of the cover displays and in Calibre it's got a blank page before it and three afterwards. I've double checked the code and I've made the image even smaller than recommended (1500x2250 rather than 1600x2400) but nothing makes a difference.

I am thinking of taking a hammer to my computer to punish it for this utter failure to understand my needs. if you don't want to help me, take pity on my poor loyal 'puter. Thank you.

Just saw!! Congrats, Louise! Can't wait for my copy ;)

Rita Stradling | blog | website | facebook | twitter

Offline ritastradling

• Arcata
    • View Profile
    • Rita Stradling Books
« Reply #15492 on: March 21, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »
Congrats Louise!

Sadly a Cat on a burrito flying through space is not for Kindle Scout. It's ok, I will let it go free in the world. Thanks for all the support I've gotten here!

I'm sorry. It looked great! Maybe KP just isn't up with the genre-bending times :-/

Rita Stradling | blog | website | facebook | twitter

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #15493 on: March 21, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »

I think maybe the reason some of us are getting more nervous is that we had inflated expectations of what KP could do. I think it probably would sell more books than most people could on their own, but it is beginning to feel more like a small publisher than a big one. When the program first rolled out, I speculated the better terms and royalties were an attempt to snag the future Stephen Kings and JK Rowlings before a Big Five Publisher grabbed them. Maybe that is what they're doing--it might take several years for such an approach to bear fruit--but that's not how it feels now, at least from the outside. The resources behind the other Amazon imprints seem greater, and those are much more likely to be on Amazon bestseller lists than KP titles. Regardless, I'll definitely submit to KS again, and I stopped bothering looking at other small publishers a while ago.

Bill, you're more eloquent and said it better than I did. I'm not sure if some of the issues I've brought up are welcomed or belong in this thread, and if not, everyone just let me know and I'll be happy to start another thread for anyone who wish to pursue and explore further. It is not at all my intent to sound like I'm criticizing KS. In fact, I still plan to submit my next book to KS based on weighing all the pros and cons. But examining all these issues is how I finally can make this decision. I hadn't dare  to submit until now because I thought the KS criteria may be very high, and I thought KS would only accept something if the book is in every way a bestseller. But once I felt I was ready and started looking at everything more closely, I found that not to be the exact picture. The picture is more like what Bill describes now, and in fact, KS is a continuing changing beast. I've looked at all the KS winners, and I was shocked to see some in the rankings higher than 400k+. Now I know KP does periodic promos and during those times, the books would certainly rise and sell again, but for the long haul, 400K+ makes me hesitate. In the indie world I'm still prawn. I don't write to market and I don't write in the hottest genre. But none of my books ever fell to 400k+ rank. As midlist, I can definitely beat that. I think authors who submit to KS may be at different stage of writing. I see some are submitting their debut novels, and in that case, there's nothing to lose. For me, 400K+ means I will lose out. I'm not a Kindle Top 100 Bestseller, and no I absolutely am not quitting my day job, but I just tried BookReport yesterday in preparation for doing my taxes, and let's just say my total earning for the year was no chump change either. I'd been able to make a very generous donation to a charity organization and have plenty leftover for fun. So the numbers are not exactly "no brainers".

So why KS then? For me, it's a gamble now. As an indie I'm not like some of the most successful authors on KBoard. Using baseball analogy, I'd consider myself someone who can now make it to first base by myself. KS could give me a chance to hit a home run out of the ballpark, which I can't do myself -- or make me strike out and tank me.  First base suddenly is not an option (because of lack of control to promos and marketing). This is why KS makes me nervous. I can't go in like there's nothing to lose. It is a gamble that what I submit may be good enough to hit that home run. I'm almost as nervous about the possibility of being selected as I am about not being selected. (The campaign period, OTOH, is definitely a plus.)

Another thing is, I don't look at being selected as a lottery win, where I can dump the book and say, ok KP can take it from there now. Indie pub is a long game. Theoretically if my submission is selected, it is not about selling just that one winning book. It is how to utilize it as part of a long-term strategy. Originally, my hope would be, on the off chance of a win, hope KP would push my book to the Top 100, and let that book feed readers to my current non-KP books. But now, it looks like it could be the other way around. A win that tanks me (die to lack of promos) would mean I'll have to use my existing books to feed readers to the KP winning book. There are 2 possible outcomes here and for me anyway, it's something I would have to carefully think about to formulate the sales strategy. My own concern is not about having a one book to be all and end all.

On another note, about covers. Ok I'm not Amanda Lee or Rosalind James, so my advice is cheap so take it for its penny's or nothing's worth. The cover is one of indie writers' most valuable assets. Personally,  I would not simply mention a cover change on FB or Twitter like it's an after thought. The cover, whether new or a change, is a promo event. When I release a book, my Cover Reveals are carefully timed and orchestrated to get my readers and subscribers excited. Whet their appetite. It gets shown several times, once as cover reveal, next on release, again when Paperback print is ready. It gets show over 1-2 weeks beginning with my organic subscribers, then to the bigger X-promo list of assorted subscribers, and spread out from there to various FB groups, Twitter, etc. There's a schedule I devise to as part of a launch plan to jump start the New Release algorithm. It is something you can use to build buzz. And something you can use after release to remind people to buy your book if they haven't done so already. (And I'll say again I think Tom Swyers did a great job turning the cover into a tool for building buzz and also test the results.)

Since the cover is a big part of my game, and readers are engaged in the process, then speaking only for myself, I cannot come off looking like I don't give a crap and suddenly switch it out on them without warning. That said, it doesn't have to be a bad thing even if KP springs it on an author. If I have a cover change, you bet I'll turn that into a promo event. I would not waste the opportunity. If I were a KS winner who'd been told I have to change my cover, then whether I like the cover or not, I'll come up with a good marketing spin and get a newsletter out to my readers, and strategically post the cover everywhere like it's a big event. It's an opportunity to promote where you have no control over promo, and it's a free op too!

Of course I understand that not every writer has the budget to get a Damonza cover, but even if you made your own cover, there's a story behind the cover. In that case, rather than the "knock-out look" be the theme of a book cover promo, tell a story instead. What is the inspiration behind it? Find a hook that can help you reach out and remind readers there's a book they should buy. Help them make an emotional connection to your cover.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Again, it is not my intent to criticize submission or the process. Like everyone else, I'm here to learn what it takes and what's going on, and I hope what I say is helpful to anyone who are on the fence, or are in similar situation as I am.

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #15494 on: March 21, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

That's so sad. I really liked what I saw. Hope you plan to release it yourself, Aaron.

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #15495 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

Congratulations Louise. Looks like all the hard work paid off. Best of luck.

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #15496 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
I've just seen the email two minutes ago. Looks like you guys knew before I did.
Thanks so much for all the support I got from this group. It's invaluable. It's so tough that so many good books don't get through - but the support doesn't stop here right? I'll be cheering the others on all the way. x

Louise Cole

Offline J. M. Moreaux

• View Profile
« Reply #15497 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »
I've nominated the entries by J.M., Kody, and Claire. Best of luck to you!
JP
Thank you 🙂

J. M. Moreaux | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline J. M. Moreaux

• View Profile
« Reply #15498 on: March 21, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
Congrats Louise!

Sorry to hear that Aaron, look forward to reading Time Burrito nonetheless. Everyone at my house laughed at your cover and loved the idea.
Congrats Louise!🙂

J. M. Moreaux | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #15499 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
Thank you again. I'm glad I could give folks a laugh. Time Burrito will be out in the world soon. I already sent it to KDP. I'll let you all know when I do the free download days.

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac