Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1096335 times)  

Offline Nikki Landis Author

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #18025 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
Hi friends! I'm on day two of my "after KS" launch and can't complain so far! I have a ThunderClap set up for later in the month and would greatly appreciate any support you might be able to throw my way. I've decided to keep "Moon" at 99 cents through the end of June. We'll see how that works out!
Here's the link!
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/57409-btim-live-on-amazon?locale=en

Not only could I not write during the campaign, I'm having trouble getting started again during my launch as well!

Supported!  :)

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:32:47 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Nikki Landis Author

• View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »
You got the hang of that pretty quick!  8)

Yes, thank you for the help!  :D

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:33:17 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline stillmyheart

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Imaginary Lit(erature)
« Reply #18027 on: May 19, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »
Hey, everybody! It's been a long time since I was last on here, but I got busy working on my next book, which I decided to toss into Kindle Scout for a new round in the ring (it's the follow-up to my Scout-selected novel, No Safe Place). My campaign is here, if you guys wanna check it out!

Mary Head | Twitter | Blog | Facebook

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #18028 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
Top three nominated, fingers crossed for those waiting for news.

Thanks for reminding me about the Link maker, I kept forgetting to add the real link for Teatime, instead of only the thumbnail.

Hopefully I'll be back in the fray soon.  Waiting for the final edit on my next one, and just finished the final draft for book 6!

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: May 20, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
Hi friends! I'm on day two of my "after KS" launch and can't complain so far! I have a ThunderClap set up for later in the month and would greatly appreciate any support you might be able to throw my way. I've decided to keep "Moon" at 99 cents through the end of June. We'll see how that works out!
Here's the link!

Not only could I not write during the campaign, I'm having trouble getting started again during my launch as well!

Supported :) Nikki, supported yours too :)
Jennifer Bull | Facebook | Twitter | Etsy | Website

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #18030 on: May 20, 2017, 12:49:35 AM »
Ugh, Cindy, sorry about The Neglected Ones :( Can't believe how long they kept you waiting... I thought you were going to be picked!

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #18031 on: May 20, 2017, 02:12:12 AM »
It's Saturday. We're heading off shortly to the Farmer's Market for a bit of shopping and then to Halifax Seed for some starter plants. It's a long weekend (even though I work on Sunday and Monday) and we are going to do some gardening!

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Cloud Chasers by A. Bol
5 days left What I Left Behind by Jacqueline Ward
5 days left The Water Witch by Ron Foster
6 days left City Under Ice by Te Olivant
6 days left Snowdrift by Debra Erfert
6 days left Cold Ground Ginger by Robert Burton Robinson
6 days left Wizard of the Wasteland by Jon Cronshaw
7 days left The Reminisce by H.L. Cherryholmes
8 days left The Inhabitable Boy by J.M. Moreaux
9 days left Under Jupiter by J.E. Hunter
12 days left Score of Silence by Mark Gardner
12 days left The Freak Show Below by Jada Ryker
15 days left Ghosts in Glass Houses by Kay Charles
15 days left A Return to Fallbrook by T.T. Rankin
15 days left Unimaginary by Patrick Tylee
19 days left No Place in Eden by Hilary Murray
19 days left The Things We Do For Love by Anita Louise
20 days left Plunge by John Greco
21 days left The Book Knights by J.G. Mckenney
21 days left Night of the Webcam by Robertson Tait
23 days left Fallen from Grace by Nikki Landis
23 days left The Modern Mage by T.J. Flaxman
26 days left Shipley Bridge by David Thompson
28 days left Black Sun Ascension by T.S. Starkenberg
28 days left Finding Home Again by Mary Head

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

Online Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
« Reply #18032 on: May 20, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »
Here's the link!

Hi
Supported!  Good Luck  Dan Petrosini
My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline C L Salaski

• View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:38 AM »
Ugh, Cindy, sorry about The Neglected Ones :( Can't believe how long they kept you waiting... I thought you were going to be picked!

Thanks, Jennifer. I didn't expect to be picked. Now I'm curious to see if the next book the Scout Experts choose is another romance novel. Six out of seven books they've chosen so far this month are romance novels.

All the best to you and all the wonderful people here on Kboards,

Cindy

Online TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: May 20, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
Thanks, Jennifer. I didn't expect to be picked. Now I'm curious to see if the next book the Scout Experts choose is another romance novel. Six out of seven books they've chosen so far this month are romance novels.

Cindy
I noticed similar...which doesn't give give me a lot of hope for my romance novel ending on June 4th, who knows what will be trending by then :)

Saying this way too often lately, but I cannot believe your book wasn't chosen. The cover, the blurb, the excerpt...all great!  Needless to say you'll have a customer in me, best of luck to you when you do launch!

Offline C L Salaski

• View Profile
« Reply #18035 on: May 20, 2017, 08:27:21 AM »
I noticed similar...which doesn't give give me a lot of hope for my romance novel ending on June 4th, who knows what will be trending by then :)

Saying this way too often lately, but I cannot believe your book wasn't chosen. The cover, the blurb, the excerpt...all great!  Needless to say you'll have a customer in me, best of luck to you when you do launch!

Hey TT,

I've got A Return to Fallbrook saved. Will nominate it within a week before your campaign ends. And I will own and read your novel one way or another. I love a good romance novel as well as anyone else. My favorite book and movie is Dr. Zhivago.

All I can say at this time is Thank God for Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing! Where would we all be without it? I love Amazon. Been a customer of theirs since 1999. The biggest mistake I ever made was not buying their stock.  :o

All the best,

Cindy
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 08:31:08 AM by C L Salaski »

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18036 on: May 20, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
Thank you Nikki, Jennifer, Dan, and anyone else who supported my Thunderclap!
So sorry, Cindy. Our books were in this together the whole time, and I just can't believe they made you wait so long and then didn't accept it. You wrote a great book, and I can't wait to find out exactly what is going on in that nursing home.
I have nominate off the list and am hoping to get some promos for "Moon" done today. Hope everyone has a lovely Saturday!

Offline John Greco

• View Profile
« Reply #18037 on: May 20, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
Whew... Ten days into my KS Campaign (https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/PWQQXHVHUNMS). When I started, I thought, Thirty days? That's nothing. But gosh, it seems like these ten days have been more like a thousand.

I'm holding out hope that the H & T list isn't everything. I really just want Plunge to get a fair look by some editors at Amazon. I've gotten decent page views so far, and I'm happy with the percentage of internal traffic vs. external, but it's no fun having your book buried on page 4 or 5 of your category. I don't have a tribe, a fanbase, or an email list. And I've never been great at self-promotion. I mean, if I had a marketing/promotion machine in place, being a Kindle Scout selection wouldn't really be that big of a deal; I'd just launch. Getting Amazon's marketing arm behind the book is kind of the whole pointfor me anyway.

I know everyone says their KS experience was great, regardless of the outcome, but I'm wondering if anyone here regretted their campaign. Also, because I'm new to fiction (I've had a couple non-fiction books published by small- to mid-sized Christian publishers), what next steps I should consider if my book is not selected. Do y'all do KDP? Look for an agent? Anyone given their book away on Noisetrade Books to grow their list? Anyone have luck with Kindle Select?

I'd love to hear about your experiences. Thankful that this board is here. It makes the waiting a bit more bearable!

Offline stillmyheart

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Imaginary Lit(erature)
« Reply #18038 on: May 20, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
I'm holding out hope that the H & T list isn't everything.

It definitely isn't. So many factors go into the selection process that there's no surefire way of knowing which books will be selected. But there are plenty of books that have been selected with very few hours in H&T (I think there may have even been some selected with no hours in H&T, but I may be remembering that wrong), so don't stress if you don't spend a lot of time there. From my own personal experience, and seeing how most people's campaigns seem to go, most books spend the first and last few days of their campaigns in H&T, but not very much in the middle.

As for next steps if you don't get selected, I think a lot of people just go the KDP route. That was gonna be my plan if KS hadn't selected the first book I submitted, and that's my plan if they don't select the one I have in now.

Mary Head | Twitter | Blog | Facebook

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #18039 on: May 20, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »

Cindy
Sorry to hear about the book, Cindy.  I just love your cover.  I wish you oodles of sales when you launch. 
It's not a surprise that they pic so many romances.  Romance is by far the most bought genre, especially in eBooks.  Unfortunately for me, I don't like writing romance near as much as I like reading it.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #18040 on: May 20, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
I'm holding out hope that the H & T list isn't everything. I really just want Plunge to get a fair look by some editors at Amazon. I've gotten decent page views so far, and I'm happy with the percentage of internal traffic vs. external, but it's no fun having your book buried on page 4 or 5 of your category. I don't have a tribe, a fanbase, or an email list. And I've never been great at self-promotion. I mean, if I had a marketing/promotion machine in place, being a Kindle Scout selection wouldn't really be that big of a deal; I'd just launch. Getting Amazon's marketing arm behind the book is kind of the whole pointfor me anyway.
Yes, H &T is definitely not everything. There's also no question that an author with a well-established brand and a strong marketing machine might not need Kindle Scout as much, though at least some authors in that category have used it. Very few people could market books on Amazon as well as Amazon does it, and Amazon imprints have increased their share of sales in recent months, so it's possible even a successful author might get some help from it.
I know everyone says their KS experience was great, regardless of the outcome, but I'm wondering if anyone here regretted their campaign. Also, because I'm new to fiction (I've had a couple non-fiction books published by small- to mid-sized Christian publishers), what next steps I should consider if my book is not selected. Do y'all do KDP? Look for an agent? Anyone given their book away on Noisetrade Books to grow their list? Anyone have luck with Kindle Select?
People whose campaign is over but still hang out here are likely to have had a good experience. Many either hang out or drop by every so often. I think a couple of people were very upset about their campaigns, and they more or less disappeared immediately after, but that doesn't seem to be the typical response.

What next steps you want to take may depend upon your goals and the kind of work you are willing to do. If you've enjoyed publishing with small to mid-sized publishers and want to continue down the trad published path, an agent would be a logical next step. Did your previously published books do well? (When I was researching small publishers, I noticed that their books seldom ranked higher than my self-published efforts, which made me question why I'd want to give them a chunk of my royalties, but I'm sure that some small publishers must be able to make at least a little difference.)

An agent can definitely open doors, particularly with the Big Five, that would make publication more likely. It's a gamble either way. Go the trad route, and you could wait months or years before anything happens--and maybe nothing will happen. Go the self-pub route, and you'd get some results very quickly, but maybe not as much as what you would ultimately get from trad publishing.

Self-publishing makes you pay for things like editing and cover design that a publisher would pay for. Trad publishing is a better route if you want things like bestseller list placement, book store placement, and movie deals--though keep in mind even most trad authors don't get the first and the third. Some genres, including literary fiction, benefit more than others from the trad system. As far as earnings, in recent years debut self pubbers are actually more likely to make a living at writing than debut trad pubbers, though most members of both groups can't support themselves on their writing income.

Both roads require work, and in neither case is success even close to guaranteed.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

• View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: May 20, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
Yes, H &T is definitely not everything. There's also no question that an author with a well-established brand and a strong marketing machine might not need Kindle Scout as much, though at least some authors in that category have used it. Very few people could market books on Amazon as well as Amazon does it, and Amazon imprints have increased their share of sales in recent months, so it's possible even a successful author might get some help from it.People whose campaign is over but still hang out here are likely to have had a good experience. Many either hang out or drop by every so often. I think a couple of people were very upset about their campaigns, and they more or less disappeared immediately after, but that doesn't seem to be the typical response.

What next steps you want to take may depend upon your goals and the kind of work you are willing to do. If you've enjoyed publishing with small to mid-sized publishers and want to continue down the trad published path, an agent would be a logical next step. Did your previously published books do well? (When I was researching small publishers, I noticed that their books seldom ranked higher than my self-published efforts, which made me question why I'd want to give them a chunk of my royalties, but I'm sure that some small publishers must be able to make at least a little difference.)

An agent can definitely open doors, particularly with the Big Five, that would make publication more likely. It's a gamble either way. Go the trad route, and you could wait months or years before anything happens--and maybe nothing will happen. Go the self-pub route, and you'd get some results very quickly, but maybe not as much as what you would ultimately get from trad publishing.

Self-publishing makes you pay for things like editing and cover design that a publisher would pay for. Trad publishing is a better route if you want things like bestseller list placement, book store placement, and movie deals--though keep in mind even most trad authors don't get the first and the third. Some genres, including literary fiction, benefit more than others from the trad system. As far as earnings, in recent years debut self pubbers are actually more likely to make a living at writing than debut trad pubbers, though most members of both groups can't support themselves on their writing income.

Both roads require work, and in neither case is success even close to guaranteed.
Great point Bill as I'm still hanging around.  It was mildly disappointing but the 'knowledge' trade from being in this thread has more than compensated for it.  i am about to publish the 'reject' and interested in how KS impacts the launch!
Ciao Dan
Dan Petrosini | blog

Online TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18042 on: May 20, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »

Hey TT,

I've got A Return to Fallbrook saved. Will nominate it within a week before your campaign ends. And I will own and read your novel one way or another. I love a good romance novel as well as anyone else. My favorite book and movie is Dr. Zhivago.

All I can say at this time is Thank God for Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing! Where would we all be without it? I love Amazon. Been a customer of theirs since 1999. The biggest mistake I ever made was not buying their stock.  :o

All the best,

Cindy

Thanks Cindy, appreciate your support, and I couldn't agree with you more how lucky we are to have KDP available to fall back on!

-Thad

Online Adam B

• View Profile
« Reply #18043 on: May 20, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Does anyone know how hard and fast the minimum word count of 50,000 is?

For instance, would 48,000 be acceptable?!

• View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: May 20, 2017, 04:03:48 PM »

Close enough in my book!
Dan
Dan Petrosini | blog

Online Adam B

• View Profile
« Reply #18045 on: May 20, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »
Close enough in my book!
Dan

Ok, thanks. I guess the worst that can happen is they don't accept it!

Online David Thompson

• UK
  • LOL :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: May 20, 2017, 06:05:55 PM »
A quick update....Crooks' Corner is still in review (and all the cookies have gone, except for the ones with bits of candy in...can't stand those!) and Shipley Bridge, on its fourth day, is doing very well indeed. Better than I expected! So, thank you to everyone that viewed it.

I'm now a third of the way into the fourth Tercaronni adventure...Cave Hill...but I keep getting distracted every time I receive an e-mail. Heart leaps to mouth type of thing. I'm trying to ignore the campaigns, but it ain't easy!!

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson

Offline John Greco

• View Profile
« Reply #18047 on: May 20, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Bill. Good stuff to chew on for the next twenty days or so.

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: May 21, 2017, 12:43:42 AM »

You should be fine. Billy's (his book just finished the campaign) was 46k and they said it was fine -- https://billydecarlo.com/index.php/blog/86-kindle-scout-day-0

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #18049 on: May 21, 2017, 01:14:22 AM »
A quick update....Crooks' Corner is still in review (and all the cookies have gone, except for the ones with bits of candy in...can't stand those!) and Shipley Bridge, on its fourth day, is doing very well indeed. Better than I expected! So, thank you to everyone that viewed it.

I'm now a third of the way into the fourth Tercaronni adventure...Cave Hill...but I keep getting distracted every time I receive an e-mail. Heart leaps to mouth type of thing. I'm trying to ignore the campaigns, but it ain't easy!!

Sorry, I ate a lot of cookies in my 48 hours loitering in the waiting room  ;D Fab news that Shipley Bridge is doing well and hopefully you'll get some positive news on Crooks' Corner soon!