Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2064430 times)  

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #18450 on: June 02, 2017, 06:05:34 AM »
Thanks to all who nominated. Now it's time for the waiting game. It looks like Score of Silence was my most "successful" campaign yet, receiving double the views of any of my previous campaigns:

On this one, I was ambivalent. I set it and forgot it. I didn't stress out or do any promotions. As you can see from the graph, there were more KS traffic than from external. The opposite of previous campaigns.

Here are my past campaigns for reference:

Good luck with the results and hopefully you hear back good news!

Yesterday was one of my big promo days and it is nice sometimes seeing the big numbers lol. My newsletter dramatically underperformed, though, which was something of a let down.

Offline leonhard

• Copenhagen, Denmark
  • Taking a plunge into the self-publishing waters...
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #18451 on: June 02, 2017, 06:07:56 AM »
must be nerve-wrecking to sit and wait  ::)
Visit my new website www.larsleonhard.com and sign up to my newsletter (http://eepurl.com/cQlnOH) - looking for champions and cheerleaders when I self-publish my fantasy novels

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18452 on: June 02, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »
must be nerve-wrecking to sit and wait  ::)

It certainly can be! I'm not really looking forward to that part. I've just been trying to keep myself busy.

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Tylee
« Reply #18453 on: June 02, 2017, 06:50:44 AM »
Ghosts in Glass Houses nominated.
I loved The Ceiling Man, Kay (Patricia).
Hope you get another thru.

- Patrick

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18454 on: June 02, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
Ghosts in Glass Houses nominated.
I loved The Ceiling Man, Kay (Patricia).
Hope you get another thru.

- Patrick

Thank you! Our campaigns end the same day, and the really painful part of the process begins. Best of luck to you, and if I have any fingers or toes left, I'll cross them for you too!

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18455 on: June 02, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
Top three nominated! Can't believe I'm one of them! Fallbrook is my first novel and honestly I am just anxious to get the entire book out into the world and into the readers hands...whether that's through KP or on my own. Fingers crossed either way, for me and for everyone else playing this waiting game!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18456 on: June 02, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
Top three nominated! Can't believe I'm one of them! Fallbrook is my first novel and honestly I am just anxious to get the entire book out into the world and into the readers hands...whether that's through KP or on my own. Fingers crossed either way, for me and for everyone else playing this waiting game!

Good luck!

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18457 on: June 02, 2017, 07:33:28 AM »

Doesn't it feel strange to have finally made it to the upper end of the list? Best of luck with Fallbrook!

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Tylee
« Reply #18458 on: June 02, 2017, 07:37:36 AM »
For anyone interested in adding images to their profile signature (I've gotten a few requests for how to do it recently) here is a quick walkthrough!

Thank you Cole. The steps are easy to follow and worked without a hitch.
I even got my debut book trailer in there!

- Patrick

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18459 on: June 02, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
Thank you Cole. The steps are easy to follow and worked without a hitch.
I even got my debut book trailer in there!

- Patrick

Awesome!

Offline shansunr

• Chennai, India
    • View Profile
    • MIBU & The New Millennium
« Reply #18460 on: June 02, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »
Thanks to all who nominated. Now it's time for the waiting game. It looks like Score of Silence was my most "successful" campaign yet, receiving double the views of any of my previous campaigns:

On this one, I was ambivalent. I set it and forgot it. I didn't stress out or do any promotions. As you can see from the graph, there were more KS traffic than from external. The opposite of previous campaigns.

Here are my past campaigns for reference:

I think I saw a good number of top 10 scouts nominating yours and the freak show below yesterday. Hoping for the best.
I'm kinda starting to guess my result as only 3 of the top 8 scouts have nominated today. 2 of the top 10 scouts are yet to wake up i guess for they haven't nominated anything yet. Not sure if this matters but when nothing else to do...

Shan R | Shan blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18461 on: June 02, 2017, 07:44:51 AM »
I think I saw a good number of top 10 scouts nominating yours and the freak show below yesterday. Hoping for the best.
I'm kinda starting to guess my result as only 3 of the top 8 scouts have nominated today. 2 of the top 10 scouts are yet to wake up i guess for they haven't nominated anything yet. Not sure if this matters but when nothing else to do...

In general, the 'top' scouts are the ones who nominate every day with a last ending set of nominations (so they essentially can get 90 books nominated a month) and the goal is to be pick ones likely to get selected for the purposes of getting more books. It's a super interesting concept and adds game theory to kindle scout. As of now, I would say it only matters a little bit (if they see a book spend a lot of time in hot and trending them on its last day they might pick that one over another one) but it does add a new thing to worry about!

Offline skyemackinnon

• Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • Skye MacKinnon Website
« Reply #18462 on: June 02, 2017, 07:53:37 AM »
What kind of number of daily page views is average? Trying to make sense of the stats :)
Skye MacKinnon | Website | Twitter| Facebook

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18463 on: June 02, 2017, 08:01:40 AM »
What kind of number of daily page views is average? Trying to make sense of the stats :)

It's basically impossible to make sense of the stats considering how variable things are. I used to have a spreadsheet to track self-reported statistics for campaigns (hours hot and trending and page views) and essentially, the mean and average were between 1,200 for a campaign and 2,200. The selected book numbers were averaging about 200-600 higher page views than the non-selected books, and generally had about 120-240 more hours in hot and trending.

The problem is, some campaigns skew the heck out of the numbers. One campaign got 24,000 page views and was selected, and other campaigns got about 100 page views for the 30 days.

In general, the sweet spot of a campaign seems to be between 800 and 1,600 page views and at least 100-200 hours in hot and trending, but again this is not a one-size fits all model to it. You could have 600 high value page views which would be the same as 3,000 low value page views.

All in all, your goal should be to get as many people as YOU can to your page and not worry too much about how other campaigns are going. Think of the competition like it is against yourself, not other people, because it comes down 100% to whether or not the editors like your book. Sure, there are things you can do to generate buzz and interest in your book and to strengthen your launch (which is why when people say none of the campaigning matters I cringe) but you don't have to. All you have to do is write an amazing book and tell your friends about it.

Offline skyemackinnon

• Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • Skye MacKinnon Website
« Reply #18464 on: June 02, 2017, 08:09:05 AM »
It's basically impossible to make sense of the stats considering how variable things are. I used to have a spreadsheet to track self-reported statistics for campaigns (hours hot and trending and page views) and essentially, the mean and average were between 1,200 for a campaign and 2,200. The selected book numbers were averaging about 200-600 higher page views than the non-selected books, and generally had about 120-240 more hours in hot and trending.

The problem is, some campaigns skew the heck out of the numbers. One campaign got 24,000 page views and was selected, and other campaigns got about 100 page views for the 30 days.

In general, the sweet spot of a campaign seems to be between 800 and 1,600 page views and at least 100-200 hours in hot and trending, but again this is not a one-size fits all model to it. You could have 600 high value page views which would be the same as 3,000 low value page views.

All in all, your goal should be to get as many people as YOU can to your page and not worry too much about how other campaigns are going. Think of the competition like it is against yourself, not other people, because it comes down 100% to whether or not the editors like your book. Sure, there are things you can do to generate buzz and interest in your book and to strengthen your launch (which is why when people say none of the campaigning matters I cringe) but you don't have to. All you have to do is write an amazing book and tell your friends about it.

Thanks, that's really helpful! Guess my 350 views yesterday weren't too bad then, that's reassuring.

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18465 on: June 02, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »
Doesn't it feel strange to have finally made it to the upper end of the list? Best of luck with Fallbrook!
It certainly does! And thanks, same to you! Ghosts looks great!

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18466 on: June 02, 2017, 08:19:34 AM »
Thanks, that's really helpful! Guess my 350 views yesterday weren't too bad then, that's reassuring.

I'm nearing the end of my second campaign and never hit 350 views in a day. I'd say that's wonderful!

Offline leonhard

• Copenhagen, Denmark
  • Taking a plunge into the self-publishing waters...
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #18467 on: June 02, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
It certainly can be! I'm not really looking forward to that part. I've just been trying to keep myself busy.

good luck mate
Visit my new website www.larsleonhard.com and sign up to my newsletter (http://eepurl.com/cQlnOH) - looking for champions and cheerleaders when I self-publish my fantasy novels

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18468 on: June 02, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »
I agree with everything in Lincoln's post, especially the above. You have to make your own decision on promotion: no promotion, free promotion, paid promotion. I did put together a chart and table on my last blog post about my Kindle Scout experience. Just scroll down past the recap and look for the "Correlation Between Views and Paid Promotion" section. This is just my experience, I don't get compensation from vendors, and your results may vary.

Here's the link to the post:

http://jadaryker.com/?p=390

Offline Nikki Landis Author

• View Profile
« Reply #18469 on: June 02, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
I agree with everything in Lincoln's post, especially the above. You have to make your own decision on promotion: no promotion, free promotion, paid promotion. I did put together a chart and table on my last blog post about my Kindle Scout experience. Just scroll down past the recap and look for the "Correlation Between Views and Paid Promotion" section. This is just my experience, I don't get compensation from vendors, and your results may vary.

Excellent info Jada. Thank you for sharing. I'm also using Jessica's service. Yesterday was the first day and so far the results were good. Like you, I think KS under reported the results but that's alright. I'm excited to see how her promo affects my campaign. I'm approaching this as a platform for my launch so every page like is a new potential loyal reader. Quite happy at this point with my efforts, H&T hours, and the results (although it's all up to KS). Best of luck in the waiting room!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.  :)

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18470 on: June 02, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »
Excellent info Jada. Thank you for sharing. I'm also using Jessica's service. Yesterday was the first day and so far the results were good. Like you, I think KS under reported the results but that's alright. I'm excited to see how her promo affects my campaign. I'm approaching this as a platform for my launch so every page like is a new potential loyal reader. Quite happy at this point with my efforts, H&T hours, and the results (although it's all up to KS). Best of luck in the waiting room!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.  :)

I submitted several days ago and still haven't heard back from Jessica so I don't think that's going to work out. Oh well.

Happy to hear your results are going well!

• View Profile
« Reply #18471 on: June 02, 2017, 12:05:12 PM »

Thank you for your insight Lincoln. That's just how I am approaching this campaign too. H&T is great but I need the readers and followers, especially for that all important email list. I think some $ investment is necessary but I also have promoted the heck out of Facebook and Twitter, friends and family, and Goodreads groups. From what I can tell, these have also helped tremendously as a good percentage came from those sites.

I'm hoping my book will be interesting to KS (don't we all?) but who really knows? It's not your typical paranormal romance. This is also dark fantasy in which angels and demons engage in a fierce battle over human souls. There's as much description of the light as there is in Hell, and I make it uncomfortable. I wonder, is that something they will like? I don't know, maybe my style or my "voice" is not what they feel they can promote. Ugh, now I am just making myself anxious. Ha.

Best of luck to all those in the waiting room. Boy, it's crowded. Let's hope they make some favorable decisions soon.  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #18472 on: June 02, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »
I submitted several days ago and still haven't heard back from Jessica so I don't think that's going to work out. Oh well.

Happy to hear your results are going well!

Huh, not sure about that but maybe she has a lot going on. I think it took her a day or two to get back with me initially but I usually hear from her a couple of times a day. Hope she gets back with you soon.

Offline skyemackinnon

• Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • Skye MacKinnon Website
« Reply #18473 on: June 02, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »

Thank you, that post is really helpful. I've decided to try it with just free promotion (i.e. friends and Facebook), but it's always good to see what options are out there. Apparently only 13% off my 319 page views yesterday came from external sources - interesting, it's good that they give us all those stats...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:19:36 PM by skyemackinnon »

• View Profile
« Reply #18474 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
Thank you, that post is really helpful. I've decided to try it with just free promotion (i.e. friends and Facebook), but it's always good to see what options are out there. Apparently only 13% off my 319 page views yesterday came from external sources - interesting, it's good that they give us all those stats...

I've got your book saved for later as slots open up. I'm a huge fan of fantasy and your books sounds great. Best of luck in your campaign!!  :)