Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2064423 times)  

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #18475 on: June 02, 2017, 12:23:04 PM »
It's basically impossible to make sense of the stats considering how variable things are. I used to have a spreadsheet to track self-reported statistics for campaigns (hours hot and trending and page views) and essentially, the mean and average were between 1,200 for a campaign and 2,200. The selected book numbers were averaging about 200-600 higher page views than the non-selected books, and generally had about 120-240 more hours in hot and trending.

The problem is, some campaigns skew the heck out of the numbers. One campaign got 24,000 page views and was selected, and other campaigns got about 100 page views for the 30 days.

In general, the sweet spot of a campaign seems to be between 800 and 1,600 page views and at least 100-200 hours in hot and trending, but again this is not a one-size fits all model to it. You could have 600 high value page views which would be the same as 3,000 low value page views.

All in all, your goal should be to get as many people as YOU can to your page and not worry too much about how other campaigns are going. Think of the competition like it is against yourself, not other people, because it comes down 100% to whether or not the editors like your book. Sure, there are things you can do to generate buzz and interest in your book and to strengthen your launch (which is why when people say none of the campaigning matters I cringe) but you don't have to. All you have to do is write an amazing book and tell your friends about it.

I think it's important to realize that in the context of selection from a Scout campaign, paid promotion is entirely optional. When I was stalking...er...researching before my first campaign, there so much emphasis on paid promotion here and elsewhere that I almost didn't submit. I had no money--and I mean $0--for paid promotion, and what I was reading made me feel I was beaten before I began.

I submitted anyway. During that run, there were people racking up high numbers with paid promotion. My anxiety was increased tenfold. I felt I couldn't compete.

In the end, the book was selected. Was my launch earth-shattering? No. Have I earned out my advance? Yes. Am I pleased? Absolutely.

If your goal is a build up for self-publishing, results may be entirely different. As both Lincoln and Jada said, you need to make your own decision. But--if, like me, paid promotion is not in the budget don't feel you must do it anyway.

I agree with everything in Lincoln's post, especially the above. You have to make your own decision on promotion: no promotion, free promotion, paid promotion. I did put together a chart and table on my last blog post about my Kindle Scout experience. Just scroll down past the recap and look for the "Correlation Between Views and Paid Promotion" section. This is just my experience, I don't get compensation from vendors, and your results may vary.

Here's the link to the post:

http://jadaryker.com/?p=390

Excellent post. All of those choosing to invest in paid promotion should read this!

Offline Alyson Larrabee

• Easton, MA
    • View Profile
    • https://alysonlarrabee.wordpress.com/author/alysonlarrabee/
« Reply #18476 on: June 02, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
Thanks, that's really helpful! Guess my 350 views yesterday weren't too bad then, that's reassuring.

350 views in one day is excellent. You're doing great.

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18477 on: June 02, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »
Best of luck to all those in the waiting room. Boy, it's crowded. Let's hope they make some favorable decisions soon.  :)
Thank you :) I live in Bardstown, KY, the self-proclaimed bourbon capital of the world. We can smell the distilleries if the wind is blowing in the right direction. In honor of that, here's a round of bourbon 'n' branch all around, on me. Our drinking game: take a gulp anytime you read, hear, or say: H&T, views, nominations, scouts, recently added, ending soon, external, internal, or my book is crap :) We have the usual cookies, plus I'm serving bourbon balls ("Ouch!" said the master distiller.)

Offline Alyson Larrabee

• Easton, MA
    • View Profile
    • https://alysonlarrabee.wordpress.com/author/alysonlarrabee/
« Reply #18478 on: June 02, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
Thank you :) I live in Bardstown, KY, the self-proclaimed bourbon capital of the world. We can smell the distilleries if the wind is blowing in the right direction. In honor of that, here's a round of bourbon 'n' branch all around, on me. Our drinking game: take a gulp anytime you read, hear, or say: H&T, views, nominations, scouts, recently added, ending soon, external, internal, or my book is crap :) We have the usual cookies, plus I'm serving bourbon balls ("Ouch!" said the master distiller.)

Hahahaha! I love the smell of bourbon in the morning, as long as it's not on someone's breath. Everyone of us here at KSE&NR would be under the table if we played this game. Here's looking at you, Jada.

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18479 on: June 02, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
In reference to my last post, I want to point out that I am NOT anti-paid promotion. I just know how anxious my inability to do it made me feel the first time and want others in my boat to know that all is not lost. That realization took away a lot of anxiety this time.

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #18480 on: June 02, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
I think it's important to realize that in the context of selection from a Scout campaign, paid promotion is entirely optional. When I was stalking...er...researching before my first campaign, there so much emphasis on paid promotion here and elsewhere that I almost didn't submit. I had no money--and I mean $0--for paid promotion, and what I was reading made me feel I was beaten before I began.

I submitted anyway. During that run, there were people racking up high numbers with paid promotion. My anxiety was increased tenfold. I felt I couldn't compete.

In the end, the book was selected. Was my launch earth-shattering? No. Have I earned out my advance? Yes. Am I pleased? Absolutely.

If your goal is a build up for self-publishing, results may be entirely different. As both Lincoln and Jada said, you need to make your own decision. But--if, like me, paid promotion is not in the budget don't feel you must do it anyway.

Excellent post. All of those choosing to invest in paid promotion should read this!
There are plenty of people with more experience on this thread and I truly respect their opinion and advice. 
If you are going to enter KS to just set it and forget it seems useless.  (Unless you view it like sending a huge query letter!)
Flip side is I don't see the virtue in the 'all out' approach either.  If you get into KS you should promote to some degree to help your eventual launch.
I did FB, NL & Author shout.
My campaign was pretty darn good 78 percent or so of time in hot & trendy and 2800 view as I recall.  Not picked.  10 day into release I have 126 ebooks sold and some very good KENP.  Not crazily happy with launch and wish I did get picked up by KS but now is the time to 'push' it myself.  Just off the top of the head, wine influenced comments.
BTW I do continue to follow thread and nominate the list that Steve so generously compiles.
Best of Luck to all  Dan Petrosini  The Final Enemy

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline shansunr

• Chennai, India
    • View Profile
    • MIBU & The New Millennium
« Reply #18481 on: June 02, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »
Thanks and good luck to you too Rankin!
Top three nominated! Can't believe I'm one of them! Fallbrook is my first novel and honestly I am just anxious to get the entire book out into the world and into the readers hands...whether that's through KP or on my own. Fingers crossed either way, for me and for everyone else playing this waiting game!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Shan R | Shan blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline shansunr

• Chennai, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #18482 on: June 02, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing this info, Lincoln!
It's basically impossible to make sense of the stats considering how variable things are. I used to have a spreadsheet to track self-reported statistics for campaigns (hours hot and trending and page views) and essentially, the mean and average were between 1,200 for a campaign and 2,200. The selected book numbers were averaging about 200-600 higher page views than the non-selected books, and generally had about 120-240 more hours in hot and trending.

The problem is, some campaigns skew the heck out of the numbers. One campaign got 24,000 page views and was selected, and other campaigns got about 100 page views for the 30 days.

In general, the sweet spot of a campaign seems to be between 800 and 1,600 page views and at least 100-200 hours in hot and trending, but again this is not a one-size fits all model to it. You could have 600 high value page views which would be the same as 3,000 low value page views.

All in all, your goal should be to get as many people as YOU can to your page and not worry too much about how other campaigns are going. Think of the competition like it is against yourself, not other people, because it comes down 100% to whether or not the editors like your book. Sure, there are things you can do to generate buzz and interest in your book and to strengthen your launch (which is why when people say none of the campaigning matters I cringe) but you don't have to. All you have to do is write an amazing book and tell your friends about it.

Offline FlynnMcGuin

• Wichita, Kansas
  • Flynn McGuin, alter ego of Loren Harder
    • View Profile
    • The Seed in the Soil - Creative home of Loren Harder & Friends
« Reply #18483 on: June 02, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
MIBU & The New Millennium, A Return to Fallbrook, Ghosts in Glass Houses nominated. Good luck!

Offline HilaryM

• View Profile
« Reply #18484 on: June 02, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »
Coming to the end of my campaign and will finish with a boosted FB post for those last page views. Then it's time for chocolate and a glass of wine!

Nominated A Return to Fallbrook and Ghosts in Glass Houses. Good luck both!

Hilary Murray | Website | Facebook

Offline shansunr

• Chennai, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #18485 on: June 03, 2017, 12:42:27 AM »
MIBU & The New Millennium, A Return to Fallbrook, Ghosts in Glass Houses nominated. Good luck!
Thank you Flynn!

Offline TJFlaxman

• View Profile
    • The Procrastination Station
« Reply #18486 on: June 03, 2017, 02:20:32 AM »
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who supported my Headtalker! Wasn't hugely effective for me but I suspect that's on me for not pitching it properly.

The Modern Mage: 99%

Untitled First Book: 90%
T J Flaxman | Website / Blog | Twitter

Offline T E Scott Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #18487 on: June 03, 2017, 03:35:35 AM »
I've got the top three nominated.  Man, it's tough in the waiting room.  Trying to keep on trucking with book 2 but can't resist email refreshing to see if there's any news.

T E Scott

Offline skyemackinnon

• Edinburgh, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • Skye MacKinnon Website
« Reply #18488 on: June 03, 2017, 04:04:47 AM »
I've got the top three nominated.  Man, it's tough in the waiting room.  Trying to keep on trucking with book 2 but can't resist email refreshing to see if there's any news.
How long does it usually take to hear back?
Skye MacKinnon | Website | Twitter| Facebook

Offline T E Scott Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #18489 on: June 03, 2017, 04:10:44 AM »
How long does it usually take to hear back?

They have 15 days to get back to you, I think.  Most hear more quickly than that.  I get the sense the send emails out in batches as there's often a load of rejections sent out at once.

T E Scott

Offline J.G. McKenney

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • J.G. McKenney
« Reply #18490 on: June 03, 2017, 05:17:38 AM »
Ghosts in Glass Houses by Kay Charles
A Return to Fallbrook by T.T. Rankin
Unimaginary by Patrick Tylee

Nominated! Good luck!

J.G. McKenney | website

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18491 on: June 03, 2017, 07:06:20 AM »
Ghosts in Glass Houses by Kay Charles
A Return to Fallbrook by T.T. Rankin
Unimaginary by Patrick Tylee

Nominated! Good luck!
Thanks J.G.!

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18492 on: June 03, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
Appreciate the support!

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18493 on: June 03, 2017, 07:15:48 AM »
Woke up this morning and first thing I see before even logging in is my book in H&T...second to last day and I finally made it!

I took a screenshot with my phone so I could show my wife when she woke up, which was smart because by the time she got up Fallbrook had already fallen off, lol. I'll probably frame that screenshot some day. Don't judge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Tylee
« Reply #18494 on: June 03, 2017, 07:44:16 AM »
Woke up this morning and first thing I see before even logging in is my book in H&T...

Good morning, Mr. Rankin.

Same for me.

I spent the afternoon yesterday putting together one last promo video and push out to my social media.
Voila! Back into H&T this morning. Not like I've spent a lot of time there.
If you like trailers and vids, this one's only a minute long. Even my professionally produced trailer is under that.
https://youtu.be/BAIBRmxjE0I

BTW: you got my nomination this morning as one of my slots opened up.

Good luck!

- Patrick

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #18495 on: June 03, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »
It's Saturday.

I was up early this morning to go and feed the pets. The son comes home today so that's the last time I have to do that for a while. Then I grabbed a quick breakfast and we headed out for some home improvement shopping. I'm back home now with three buckets of paint and some sandpaper and wire brushes. We're going to paint the shed in the next week or so, depending on the weather. It is starting to look a little gray out there, but I wanted to get the supplies home and ready for when the weather DOES cooperate. We also took a look at what we would need for the sidewalk and two sets of steps that I am planning to build in July.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Ghosts in Glass Houses by Kay Charles
1 day left A Return to Fallbrook by T.T. Rankin
1 day left Unimaginary by Patrick Tylee
5 days left No Place in Eden by Hilary Murray
5 days left The Things We Do For Love by Anita Louise
6 days left Plunge by John Greco
6 days left The Smart One by Joe Clifford Faust
7 days left The Book Knights by J.G. Mckenney
7 days left Night of the Webcam by Robertson Tait
7 days left Thread of a Spider by D.L. Gardner
9 days left Fallen from Grace by Nikki Landis
9 days left The Modern Mage by T.J. Flaxman
12 days left Shipley Bridge by David Thompson
14 days left Black Sun Ascension by T.S. Starkenberg
14 days left Finding Home Again by Mary Head
16 days left Self Possessed by Lee Isserow
19 days left Nick of Time by Julianne Q. Johnson
21 days left The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln Cole
22 days left The Shadow Girl by Misty Mount
26 days left Beyond Gaza by Yvonne Crow
27 days left Heart of Time by Skye Mackinnon

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

I've got a brand new Kelpie Dreams HeadTalker that could use a little support!
:)

https://headtalker.com/campaigns/kelpie-dreams-2/

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18496 on: June 03, 2017, 08:14:31 AM »

Same for me.

I spent the afternoon yesterday putting together one last promo video and push out to my social media.
If you like trailers and vids, this one's only a minute long. Even my professionally produced trailer is under that.

Good luck!

- Patrick
Thanks Patrick! I had an open spot this morning so returned the favor!

Definitely impressed and slightly jealous of your trailer skills. All of them look great!

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #18497 on: June 03, 2017, 08:56:33 AM »
10 days in and Nick of Time is ticking right along.  198 hours H&T and 1.5k page views.  I'm headed for the boggy middle bit, but I can't complain.  It's still the best campaign I've had so far and I'll be tickled pink if I end up with over 2k views.

There's been some chat about spending money, not spending money.  Me, I've spend 15 bucks.  10 for an Author Shout, 30 days promotion for 10 bucks is quite cheap, and I always get a decent showing from it, though not huge numbers.  And I spent 5 dollars for a Readper that hits on the 17th.

It's up to each author whether they decide to spend money or not.  Spending a load of cash to get 5k page views won't get you selected unless the editors want the book.  I saw it in person during my first campaign.  An author spent a ton of cash with the goal of being selected, and got a fairly quick "no thank you" from KP.  I expect they had a decent launch though, with those numbers.  And it can be worth spending money so that you get a decent launch when you self publish.

But, as has been said many times, you can spend zero money, have small results, and get selected.  No one should feel obligated to spend money on a campaign.  Spend what you are comfortable with, if anything at all.

Top three nominated, and fingers crossed!

Offline Nikki Landis Author

• View Profile
« Reply #18498 on: June 03, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
10 days in and Nick of Time is ticking right along.  198 hours H&T and 1.5k page views.  I'm headed for the boggy middle bit, but I can't complain.  It's still the best campaign I've had so far and I'll be tickled pink if I end up with over 2k views.

There's been some chat about spending money, not spending money.  Me, I've spend 15 bucks.  10 for an Author Shout, 30 days promotion for 10 bucks is quite cheap, and I always get a decent showing from it, though not huge numbers.  And I spent 5 dollars for a Readper that hits on the 17th.

It's up to each author whether they decide to spend money or not.  Spending a load of cash to get 5k page views won't get you selected unless the editors want the book.  I saw it in person during my first campaign.  An author spent a ton of cash with the goal of being selected, and got a fairly quick "no thank you" from KP.  I expect they had a decent launch though, with those numbers.  And it can be worth spending money so that you get a decent launch when you self publish.

But, as has been said many times, you can spend zero money, have small results, and get selected.  No one should feel obligated to spend money on a campaign.  Spend what you are comfortable with, if anything at all.

Top three nominated, and fingers crossed!

Agreed Julianne. I'm spending the $ this time around for a few services but it's my first campaign and I need these readers and page views for my launch. This is my first KS campaign so I went all out but I don't think I would do the same next time. Depends on the final result I guess. I'm not expecting to get the contract but it would be awesome to grow that email list and have a lot of downloads and reviews when the book releases. Top books nominated on my end. Everyday when slots open, I add the next ones that I can. Good luck all!  :D

Offline shansunr

• Chennai, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #18499 on: June 03, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »

Same for me.

Good luck!

- Patrick
Cool video Patrick! You made this yourself?