Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2035196 times)  

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #18550 on: June 06, 2017, 04:08:15 AM »
I don't think Victorine took part in this thread, did she?  Regardless, it's nice to see KS is still selecting books. :D  I did nominate Isabella and the Slipper.  I nominate off-list books sometimes when I have room and I thought her cover and description were quite good.

Jada- so surprised to see Freak Show was not selected.  Wishing you all the sales when you publish.  I lurve the cover and I think the book will do well.

Thanks, Julianne :) I'm hoping to use the campaign as a springboard for a good launch.

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18551 on: June 06, 2017, 04:12:31 AM »
Hmm...Victorine is already a NYT bestseller apparently. Helps to have 300+ reviews I guess! :)  (grumble...grumble...moan...moan...)

Hey, anyone use Pages on a Mac? If so, do you know how to set gutter sizes for a print book?
I don't have a Mac, but when I started using Createspace, I downloaded a template. Once I got my headers and footers and page numbers right, I just reuse the same one with a "save as". You might check the Createspace threads to see if you don't get an answer here.

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:14:23 AM by Jada Ryker »

Offline David Thompson

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18552 on: June 06, 2017, 04:15:49 AM »
In the cooking competition shows, you're only as good as your latest dish.  And with authors you're only as good as your latest book, and this one from Victorine looks like a good read to me.  Sure, it helps to build a fanbase, but you don't get that fanbase without a lot of hard work and some solid writing.  Then, on top of that, an Indie author has to be good at the business end of it too.  Victorine is obviously on top of things there.  She has an eBook out about how to sell eBooks.  I might pick up a copy.  Between that and Lincoln's book, I bet I learn a few new tricks!  For me, writing comes much more naturally than the business side of it.  I need all the know-how I can get.

Yes, I agree. But not quite. I believe that the KS ethos is to discover new talent and new books that might not otherwise be discovered. If NYT bestselling authors use it as a launch platform for their latest books, then perhaps those all important 6 or 7 slots would be filled very quickly each month. Imagine Stephen King entering with a new book...would he be rejected? Doubt it.

I also agree with you Julianne, Indie authors need to do whatever they can to get attention. With that being the case....https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/ZYHBGKNS4ZJV

;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:18:22 AM by David Thompson »

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson | TRUK LAGOON KS Campaign!

Offline David Thompson

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18553 on: June 06, 2017, 04:17:02 AM »
I don't have a Mac, but when I started using Createspace, I downloaded a template. Once I got my headers and footers and page numbers right, I just reuse the same one with a "save as". You might check the Createspace threads to see if you don't get an answer here.

Good luck :)

I'll look into that...thanks Jada!

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson | TRUK LAGOON KS Campaign!

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18554 on: June 06, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »
Bill Swyers had suggested using the thank you note to offer people who nominated the KS book free copies (regardless if selected). I used his idea by asking nominators to sign up for my newsletter or email me to get details of the free offering.

I've had over 100 newsletter signups since yesterday. That might not sound like a lot for most of you, but I had 7 (as in less than 10) subscribers before the Scout email went out to nominators :) I've also lots of emails.

Offline J.G. McKenney

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • J.G. McKenney
« Reply #18555 on: June 06, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »
Bill Swyers had suggested using the thank you note to offer people who nominated the KS book free copies (regardless if selected). I used his idea by asking nominators to sign up for my newsletter or email me to get details of the free offering.

I've had over 100 newsletter signups since yesterday. That might not sound like a lot for most of you, but I had 7 (as in less than 10) subscribers before the Scout email went out to nominators :) I've also lots of emails.

I'm using the Thank You letter the same way, and even though my campaign is still running, I've told potential readers (via Goodreads, Twitter, etc.) that nominators will be told how to get THE BOOK KNIGHTS free even if it isn't selected. It must be working; I've already had readers contact me via my website to tell me they nominated the book and want to make sure they get the info.

J.G. McKenney | website

Offline Alyson Larrabee

• Easton, MA
    • View Profile
    • https://alysonlarrabee.wordpress.com/author/alysonlarrabee/
« Reply #18556 on: June 06, 2017, 05:30:10 AM »
Thanks, Julianne :) I'm hoping to use the campaign as a springboard for a good launch.

Jada, best of luck with Freak Show. Love the title, cover, blurb and first few pages. They're choosing so many romances, so it must be a genre thing (I'm repeating myself, but so what.). I'll definitely read and review Freak. It's more my cup of tea than Romance. I like books with romantic elements but not so much Romances unless they're really well done.

Offline AnitaLouise

• View Profile
    • The Adlers ~ Where Love & Romance Sizzle
« Reply #18557 on: June 06, 2017, 05:56:42 AM »
Nominated The Things We Do For Love by Anita Louise and Plunge by John Greco. Good Luck both!

Thanks, Hilary

Anita Louise | blog | twitter | facebook

Offline AnitaLouise

• View Profile
« Reply #18558 on: June 06, 2017, 06:01:26 AM »
Got the top 2!

@Anita - How funny is it that we both used the same stock photo on our covers XD That seems to be a pretty popular image.

I noticed that too. The odds of both choosing the same photo - let alone both being in the KS program at the same time!

Offline AnitaLouise

• View Profile
« Reply #18559 on: June 06, 2017, 06:10:38 AM »
No Place in Eden by Hilary Murray
The Things We Do For Love by Anita Louise

Nominated! Good luck!

Thanks, J.G. & everyone else for nominating The Things We Do for Love. Only a couple days left.  I find it interesting that the last time (first time) I had a book in KS, it spent more hours H&T but had less page views. I'll be curious how sales go once the campaign is finished.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18560 on: June 06, 2017, 06:15:59 AM »

I hope your launch goes amazingly well! Good luck!

Offline John Greco

• View Profile
« Reply #18561 on: June 06, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »
Nominated The Things We Do For Love by Anita Louise and Plunge by John Greco. Good Luck both!

Thank you!

Offline AnitaLouise

• View Profile
« Reply #18562 on: June 06, 2017, 06:35:28 AM »
Here's a brand new interview for folks who need a giggle.

http://sheerhubris.com/2017/06/03/steve-vernon/

Totally enjoyed reading the interview, Steve. Loved your humor & the fact that you wrote Kelpie Dreams with three INTENT of winning a publishing contract. Ver cool.   8)

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18563 on: June 06, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »
Jada, best of luck with Freak Show. Love the title, cover, blurb and first few pages. They're choosing so many romances, so it must be a genre thing (I'm repeating myself, but so what.). I'll definitely read and review Freak. It's more my cup of tea than Romance. I like books with romantic elements but not so much Romances unless they're really well done.
Thank you, Alyson :) I'm looking forward to reading Hidden in the Dark!

Offline FlynnMcGuin

• Wichita, Kansas
  • Flynn McGuin, alter ego of Loren Harder
    • View Profile
    • The Seed in the Soil - Creative home of Loren Harder & Friends
« Reply #18564 on: June 06, 2017, 08:52:37 AM »
Took a peek and saved your book for later.  Sounds like a fun read.,

Thanks!

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18565 on: June 06, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »

Sorry you weren't selected but things sound encouraging for a potentially nice launch. I look forward to reading the book and wish you the best of luck with it!!!

Online Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #18566 on: June 06, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
Only ~36 hours "In Review," and I'm just hoping the ax falls quickly.  :'(

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18567 on: June 06, 2017, 10:48:54 AM »
Stop! Positive thoughts only [emoji2]

Offline TF Jacobs

• View Profile
« Reply #18568 on: June 06, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
Hello all,

First, I just want to say that the information shared on this thread has been hugely valuable for me as a potential scouter. I have a thriller I am planning to submit in the next couple weeks when my cover and website are finalized, but I did want to pose a question to the group. I understand that if selected, Kindle Press takes the rights to the audiobook, but as far as I've seen, they are yet to put out any audiobooks. Has anyone heard anything on this front?

For me, this is the biggest holdup with Scout, only because I have another book under a different author name in a different market that has sold relatively well, but a large part of that has come from audiobook sales. Almost even with ebook sales in fact. I feel like there is a pretty big market missed.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, in all my searching I haven't really come across much.

Thanks!

Offline HilaryM

• View Profile
« Reply #18569 on: June 06, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
Stop! Positive thoughts only [emoji2]
Seconded!! ;)

Hilary Murray | Website | Facebook

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #18570 on: June 06, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
Hello all,

First, I just want to say that the information shared on this thread has been hugely valuable for me as a potential scouter. I have a thriller I am planning to submit in the next couple weeks when my cover and website are finalized, but I did want to pose a question to the group. I understand that if selected, Kindle Press takes the rights to the audiobook, but as far as I've seen, they are yet to put out any audiobooks. Has anyone heard anything on this front?

For me, this is the biggest holdup with Scout, only because I have another book under a different author name in a different market that has sold relatively well, but a large part of that has come from audiobook sales. Almost even with ebook sales in fact. I feel like there is a pretty big market missed.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, in all my searching I haven't really come across much.

Thanks!
It might be better if KP stopped insisting on taking audio rights they aren't going to use anyway. I think I recall someone suggesting that the KP terms would be changed to eliminate audio from the rights covered, but so far that hasn't happened. I suspect KP might revert audio rights to the author if they really weren't going to use them and if the author asked, but I'm not aware of anyone actually trying.

The initial vision clearly included both audiobooks and translations, but neither has materialized. Perhaps if a KP book became a bestseller (at least on Amazon's charts), KP would actually do audio for that title. Audio production is a significant additional production cost, so I get why they don't automatically do an audio book.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #18571 on: June 06, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
It might be better if KP stopped insisting on taking audio rights they aren't going to use anyway. I think I recall someone suggesting that the KP terms would be changed to eliminate audio from the rights covered, but so far that hasn't happened. I suspect KP might revert audio rights to the author if they really weren't going to use them and if the author asked, but I'm not aware of anyone actually trying.

The initial vision clearly included both audiobooks and translations, but neither has materialized. Perhaps if a KP book became a bestseller (at least on Amazon's charts), KP would actually do audio for that title. Audio production is a significant additional production cost, so I get why they don't automatically do an audio book.

They did cut the contract without really telling anyone down to 3 months (from 2 years). I requested and got my audio rights back and now my entire series (books I,II, and III, plus my short novella) are all under production. With my next book, if KP takes it I'll request the rights back right after the 3 months are up and if it isn't picked I'll put the book right into production as soon as possible!

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #18572 on: June 06, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »

Awesome Jada!  I took that page out of Swyers' book as well, and am offering a free copy whether it's selected or not.  I'm sure this is why my campaign is going so well.  In my thank you, I decided to point folks toward my facebook author page (which could use some help) instead of my newsletter (which is still smallish but growing steadily.)  I'll put the dates of the free days on my facebook page as soon as publish, assuming I'm not selected, which I am assuming, lol.  I can also send the free dates out in my newsletter and post it on my website.

The best thing about offering the book to nominators for free is I can post about my KS book on all the free book groups on Facebook.  I think that's made quite a difference.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #18573 on: June 06, 2017, 02:35:06 PM »

I'm not expecting any tree cutting tool gravity events for your book.  I'm hoping for some good news and another win for the members of this thread!  I know it's never a done deal, and folks who have been selected before aren't always selected again, but I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you.  I think you've got a real chance.

Offline TF Jacobs

• View Profile
« Reply #18574 on: June 06, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
They did cut the contract without really telling anyone down to 3 months (from 2 years). I requested and got my audio rights back and now my entire series (books I,II, and III, plus my short novella) are all under production. With my next book, if KP takes it I'll request the rights back right after the 3 months are up and if it isn't picked I'll put the book right into production as soon as possible!

Oh that's actually very good news. 3 months is not bad at all to have audio rights reverted. Thanks for the insights Lincoln, and I wish you well in your production of all four of your books in audio format! Hopefully a nice boost for your series.

Great insight Bill. If the rule is 90 days to revert rights, you could at least ask earlier to see if they have any intention of putting it out in audio. Maybe they'd be willing to turn them over sooner. Thanks!