Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1397452 times)  

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #19575 on: July 17, 2017, 07:23:57 AM »
Had three slots open and nominated:

Cave Hill by David Thompson
Red Fingernails by Maryann Pride
Silver Spring-Time by Cecilia Hopkins-Drewer

Best of luck to all three!

Mark

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #19576 on: July 17, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
I meant to follow up on my previous post yesterday, but spent the day submerged (translation: drowning) in finishing up the final edits for Ghosts. I submitted them this morning, which means I will spend the day wondering 1) What did I miss? (It's a given there is something.) and 2) Did I upload the correct file? (Fairly sure I did, but I've been wrong before.)  :o

Patricia, I love it when you come in here as living proof it isn't all about the stats.  It helps us all keep our chins up.

If wide and paid promotion fits your longterm plan--do it! But be sure to read Lincoln Cole's blog posts on the subject first. He's tested and evaluated many promo sources so you can invest wisely. One of the things the readper.com newsletter did is bring in page views (and with any luck nominations and possible readers and reviewers) from outside of my social media/family & friends circle. Time will tell if that is a good thing.  ;D

However, if you don't want to do paid promotion or it's not in your budget, don't fret. And don't make yourself crazy if your stats aren't what you hoped they'd be. There is still hope for selection!

Patricia started with a kick-butt book with an awesome cover.  That's bare bones what you must have for a decent chance at selection, just as with any publisher.  After that, having a genre KP thinks is hot, having a book that isn't too similar to another one already selected, and other publisher concerns come into play.  KS stats are never what getting selected is all about. (as far as I know, I've been trying to scry KP secret meetings, but with no success.  They must have anti-witch wards up, ;) ) That's not to say they are worthless either.  Those nominations  are where your advance reviews come from if selected, and your buyers and readers if not selected.  Important, sure, but not all important.

As Julianne said, one of the things nominations will do if your book is selected is increase the possibility of reviews posted during the pre-order period. The Ceiling Man had few reviews on release day, but it did catch up after release.

I think selection comes down to, as it does with any traditional publisher, Does the book meet their current needs? (Despite the non-traditional open sub process, Kindle Press is a traditional publisher.)

(And those anti-witch wards must be potent!)

Oh, and if you haven't read Patricia's The Ceiling Man, you should because it's awesome.  If I sound like a squeeing fangirl it's because I totally am. :D

Thank you, Julianne! I'm both blushing and squeeing that I have a (singular) fan!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:44:15 AM by Patricia KC »

Offline Rena Arun

• View Profile
« Reply #19577 on: July 17, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »
Thanks! Hopefully the information is useful!

All of my newest information is compiled here and includes a ton of information about my newest campaign as well as dozens of free and paid resources for running campaigns!

You're welcome! Debbie Burke pointed me to your site in the middle of my campaign as well kboards, as did Michelle Kidd. Both tips have made quite a difference in my views/H&T stats. Next time (if there is one) I'll be more prepared instead of abysmally not so. Of course, I can only pray that DM thinks my editing/proofing stands up to her standards  ;)

Ajit,
My family is spread out across the continents, I'm afraid! Globalization is not always a good thing although travel of course makes keeping in touch much easier. Good luck to you in your campaign as well. You are a good storyteller, so that in spite of the fact that English is not your native tongue, you are able to communicate certain cultural attitudes & perspectives in an entertaining fashion. Besides, the Romeo & Juliet love story never gets old!

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #19578 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »
I want to warn anyone who reads this post NOT to post a nomination request on the community forums on KDP.  Since everyone had recommended that I look at Lincoln Cole and Tom Swyer I searched those boards and saw they, and many others, had asked for nominations. So, I posted mine. I was just notified by KDP that I am banned from posting on the boards because of my request.  You are not allowed to "solicit" the KDP members in any form.  So, learn from my mistake.  Don't do it.

D.M. Chappell | blog

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My Kindle Scout Campaign
« Reply #19579 on: July 17, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »
Had three slots open and nominated:

Cave Hill by David Thompson
Red Fingernails by Maryann Pride
Silver Spring-Time by Cecilia Hopkins-Drewer

Best of luck to all three!

Mark

Thank you Mark. Its last days for me now and I'm starting to get panicky.
[https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y][/url]
New Campaign https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y

Offline arivoli

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
    • Alicia Rivoli Books
« Reply #19580 on: July 17, 2017, 02:10:06 PM »
Just got my rejection letter. 97% on my campaign on H&T with 6K views doesn't mean anything but a self promotion for publishing it myself. From what I've learned in this campaign, I wouldn't spend very much money on getting views, because it doesn't mean anything. They will pick whatever they feel will be best for their program. Good luck to everyone!  I'll be rooting for you from the side lines. 😊  Unknown Presence will be available very soon. I need to make a few changes before I self publish.

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #19581 on: July 17, 2017, 02:14:25 PM »
Just got my rejection letter. 97% on my campaign on H&T with 6K views doesn't mean anything but a self promotion for publishing it myself. From what I've learned in this campaign, I wouldn't spend very much money on getting views, because it doesn't mean anything. They will pick whatever they feel will be best for their program. Good luck to everyone!  I'll be rooting for you from the side lines. 😊  Unknown Presence will be available very soon. I need to make a few changes before I self publish.

Sorry to hear about your rejection.  Thank you for solidifying the fact that H&T doesn't always make a difference.  Definitely post when your book is available.  I would be happy to RT if you send out something on Twitter about it being available.

D.M. Chappell | blog

Offline arivoli

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
    • Alicia Rivoli Books
« Reply #19582 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about your rejection.  Thank you for solidifying the fact that H&T doesn't always make a difference.  Definitely post when your book is available.  I would be happy to RT if you send out something on Twitter about it being available.

Thanks. I'll for sure post on here when it's available and I'll tweet it also.

Offline pridebooks

• View Profile
« Reply #19583 on: July 17, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
Ok Steve,
I'm going to try and do this right. You said post my link.

https://www.kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1QLWM612T6P96

Offline pridebooks

• View Profile
« Reply #19584 on: July 17, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
Guess I should have finished after link.
 Thanks,
MaryAnn

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19585 on: July 17, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that! I've come to the same conclusion about spending money on campaigning.  There have been a ton of successful self-launches after KS. I'm sure your book will still do very well! Think of all the people you already have interested! :)

Offline Rena Arun

• View Profile
« Reply #19586 on: July 17, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
After all that time in the waiting room, that's hard news to hear after such awesome stats. But all those nominations will translate to a great launch & much success for Unknown Presence. I'm looking forward to hearing when it's out.

Offline ajitkpanicker

• India
  • Read what you love, not what is trending !!
    • View Profile
    • Ajit Panicker Readers Paradise
« Reply #19587 on: July 17, 2017, 04:59:16 PM »

Oh ! so that again ratifies, that H&T is not the boss. The internal , external or number of views  does not make much difference, it is what the Kindle press editors feel is good to publish. Luckily, i have not spend a huge amount promoting the book, but through my own network alone. The newsletters and email campaigns are very effective. All the more better of you shoot personalized e-mail campaigns. SMS campaigns. Instead of facebook ads, try and get them posted on the timelines of your friends, often.
Best wishes for your book. May it become a bestseller soon, even without kindle press.

Ajit Panicker | Kindle Scout | Facebook | Twitter | Website

Offline AnitaLouise

• View Profile
    • The Adlers ~ Where Love & Romance Sizzle
« Reply #19588 on: July 17, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »

Sorry to hear the unwanted news, Alicia. However, look at all the potential readers you now have! I expect you to have a great launch.

Nominations are:
Cave Hill
Red Fingernails
Silver Spring-Time

Best of luck to all.

Anita Louise | blog | twitter | facebook

Offline KateWarren

• View Profile
« Reply #19589 on: July 17, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Its really tough, especially considering your campaign stats & agree with everyone that at least you have set up a good market for your book if you want to self -publish!

Best of luck!

Offline David Thompson

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19590 on: July 17, 2017, 06:05:32 PM »
Sorry Alicia. But remember that you weren't rejected...just not selected...a BIG difference! Your book now has gazillions of potential readers! Good luck.

Last day for Cave Hill. Thanks to everyone for the views and noms. In hindsight I don't think I should have gone with the knife, but what's done is done. During the campaign I put the finishing touches to The Fallen Child (which is not an Ian Tercaronni adventure) so hopefully I'll be back in a couple of days. Hammering away at Truk Lagoon (the next Ian Tercaronni Adventure) now. :)

It's all fun...right?

David

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson | TRUK LAGOON KS Campaign!

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #19591 on: July 17, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »

Sorry to hear the news and I hope you have an awesome launch.  With those stats, you should have a good release.  You are smart to get it out soon.  Waiting too long after the campaign can slow your momentum.

Offline Rena Arun

• View Profile
« Reply #19592 on: July 17, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
Sorry Alicia. But remember that you weren't rejected...just not selected...a BIG difference! Your book now has gazillions of potential readers! Good luck.

Last day for Cave Hill. Thanks to everyone for the views and noms. In hindsight I don't think I should have gone with the knife, but what's done is done. During the campaign I put the finishing touches to The Fallen Child (which is not an Ian Tercaronni adventure) so hopefully I'll be back in a couple of days. Hammering away at Truk Lagoon (the next Ian Tercaronni Adventure) now. :)

It's all fun...right?

David

I've seen at least one Kindle Press title with a knife or weapon on the cover, including "Deadly Choices," which features a knife on the cover. Besides, I think Kindle Press allows for change of cover after acceptance. See this link:http://www.sfwa.org/2016/04/kindle-scout-works/

Anyway, I wouldn't thrown in the towel because of the cover. Cave Hill is a fantastic read. You stand as good a chance as they come.

Offline Rena Arun

• View Profile
« Reply #19593 on: July 17, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
In hindsight I don't think I should have gone with the knife, but what's done is done.

One more thing about covers: Rita Stradling posted here that she had the following experience ---

I just found out that Kindle Press can give you 48 hours notice before changing your cover... I'm a little sad and worried about this because one of my favorite things about Kindle Press is you get to pick your own cover.

Online TF Jacobs

• View Profile
« Reply #19594 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »

Alicia, your campaign goes to show that you can market well, and I'm sure you will do well with the book. Good luck with the launch!

Also nominated Cave Hill, good luck, David!

I've got a little less than a week left on Untangling the Black Web. What an experience it's been.

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #19595 on: July 17, 2017, 08:49:44 PM »

It's all fun...right?

David

I am going to frame this and have it handy for when I get my rejection notice! LOL! "Remember you weren't rejected...just not selected."  Great words David!

D.M. Chappell | blog

Offline ajitkpanicker

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #19596 on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
Alicia, your campaign goes to show that you can market well, and I'm sure you will do well with the book. Good luck with the launch!

Also nominated Cave Hill, good luck, David!

I've got a little less than a week left on Untangling the Black Web. What an experience it's been.

Hi Jacobs,

Wishing you all the best !! I am pretty sure, you'll make it.  I have nominated your book. The medical corruption is at its heights in most of the countries today. A great plot to have written a book on that. Waiting for it to get selected.

Offline ajitkpanicker

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #19597 on: July 17, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »
You're welcome! Debbie Burke pointed me to your site in the middle of my campaign as well kboards, as did Michelle Kidd. Both tips have made quite a difference in my views/H&T stats. Next time (if there is one) I'll be more prepared instead of abysmally not so. Of course, I can only pray that DM thinks my editing/proofing stands up to her standards  ;)

Ajit,
My family is spread out across the continents, I'm afraid! Globalization is not always a good thing although travel of course makes keeping in touch much easier. Good luck to you in your campaign as well. You are a good storyteller, so that in spite of the fact that English is not your native tongue, you are able to communicate certain cultural attitudes & perspectives in an entertaining fashion. Besides, the Romeo & Juliet love story never gets old!

Thanks Rena !!
It means a lot when it comes from the fellow authors. It does boost you up, to be better, the next day. Best wishes for your book. I have nominated your book. Though i feel, you'll have a neck to neck with 'Fairest One' by Amy Linnabary.

Offline arivoli

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
    • Alicia Rivoli Books
« Reply #19598 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement.  They are very much appreciated.

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My Kindle Scout Campaign
« Reply #19599 on: July 18, 2017, 12:23:53 AM »

Nominations are:
Cave Hill
Red Fingernails
Silver Spring-Time

Best of luck to all.

Thank you Anita
[https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y][/url]
New Campaign https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y