Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2033329 times)  

Offline Greg Banks

• GA
  • Also known by the pseudonym "Drew Griot".
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Griot
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »
...1.  I'm revisiting the cover.  Am hiring a designer.  Building a focus group of my thriller/suspense friends and polling them.  We'll see what that turns up.  One friend said she detested the waterfall on my current cover.  Wow.  That's a strong word.  ha ha ha.  But mind you, others said they loved it.  Go figure.  The majority vote in my poll will win...

Unfortunately, the attractiveness of a cover doesn't always equal sales, particularly if it looks great, but just doesn't appeal to your story's core demographic.

Can you use a pseudonym with Kindle Scout?
Free content:
     Paid content:
My Websites:
WebsiteBlog | TwitterFacebook | Art Portfolio

Offline Cap'n Crunch

• View Profile
    • Tricia Owens Books
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »

Can you use a pseudonym with Kindle Scout?

Yes, I used one.

Tricia Owens | Author Site | Facebook

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »
I hear you, Marian.  But almost every well known self-pubbed author--from Hugh to Konrath--that is with an Amazon imprint is extremely happy.  For me, this seemed like a solid way to get my toe in that door.

My toe hurts  :-X

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »
I don't think they will have a stranglehold on it forever, again it has to be making more than 5k a year for five years straight or more than 500 in any single year. So in essence you can get your rights back from them if your books not selling. For those of us just starting out and having a problem finding readership, the risk is worth the reward. It is for me at least. If you put up your first couple of books and are easily making more sales, then awesomesauce for you. :-) For me the exposure is worth it in spades, especially if you get selected.

Offline Greg Banks

• GA
  • Also known by the pseudonym "Drew Griot".
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Griot
« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2015, 10:41:28 PM »
Free content:
     Paid content:
My Websites:
WebsiteBlog | TwitterFacebook | Art Portfolio

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2015, 05:49:12 AM »
My toe hurts  :-X

Don' worry, Salvador.  You are not alone.   ;D

Bates, agreed.

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
Don' worry, Salvador.  You are not alone.   ;D

Bates, agreed.

Hehe, no worries.  I lived in Japan for 3 years while I was stationed in the Army back in the eighties so the Borneo/Asia take is interesting.  I also write with some intrigue or suspense even in my fantasy genre and at least one reviewer picked up on it so you're submission is in a good genre imho.  I added it to my nom list so good luck!  Where were you living overseas most all of that time?  I'm assuming Asia :)

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »
Thanks Salvador for the nomination! Not sure it will help.   ;D

Yes: mostly in Asia.  I love Asia!  My favorite places of all time are Angkor Wat, Bali and Boracay for vacations.  But there are just too many to mention in terms of great places to visit/live.  I never did get to spend much time in Japan though, I'm afraid.  I wish I had.

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »
Well I liked your excerpt, I read it this morning.  You have a very descriptive talent and a good flow so you may do better than you think.  I'll watch intently and wish you and the others the best!

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »
Salvador, you are extremely generous and it's kind of you to say.  Thank you! 

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline Cap'n Crunch

• View Profile
    • Tricia Owens Books
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
I don't like not knowing if my book is about to fall out of H&T, haha. Like there's this mild but persistent anxiety in the back of my head.

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »
I don't like not knowing if my book is about to fall out of H&T, haha. Like there's this mild but persistent anxiety in the back of my head.

Good problem to have, mine fell out after only two days and never went back again till the very end.  I'll look at your excerpt tomorrow, going to spend some time with my better half tonight now that we have some Amazon money  ;D

Offline HN Wake

• View Profile
    • www.hnwake.com
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »

Not a terrible problem to have.   ;D

HN Wake | Website | Blog

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 29, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »

Yeah, that was a bad one. I am really glad that my campaign is over.

Sadly, because it's just the kind of wacky gal I am, it has been replaced by the persistent anxiety that I will fail to sell a single book despite winning. If I do actually do well, I'm sure I'll find something else to wreck my day.

BTW, Tricia, your campaign looks super pro. I think you will do really well.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »

I hear you I had a little freak out moment when mine fell out. So far I have 13 days left I have 125 hours in h&T and 520 pageviews. No idea if that is enough to even get close, but here is me hoping it is. I have big campaign set up for September 1, Maybe I can stay in H&T until the end. I have a feeling the algorithms they have set up favor new books and books about to expire. Everyone tries to start their campaign off quickly so new books quickly become Hot and trending. I'm thinking on my next one I won't send out emails or do any promotions until my book falls out of the new category. I can't wait to add your book to my nominations.

The experience is completely nerve-racking and awesome at the same time.

Offline Mxz

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »
Does anyone know if Amazon takes a percentage of royalties for the paperback version.  Do they even make a paperback version?

Thanks!

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2015, 08:32:21 AM »
Does anyone know if Amazon takes a percentage of royalties for the paperback version.  Do they even make a paperback version?

Thanks!

Scout winners keep their paperback rights. Kindle Press only handles the ebooks and audiobook.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »
Thanks!

They do not do any paperback version, so you can go through create space or publish the paper or hardback versions any way you choose. If you use create space its just their normal rates no additiom money taken from amazon.

Offline verb

• San Francisco
  • Mystery, Intrigue, & International Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Boom-Books
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
Not a terrible problem to have.   ;D

Yeah, I yearn to worry about falling out of instead of into Hot & Trending!

That "join Scout" letter was badly timed for us, HN - I think there were 32 mysteries up the day our 2 went live, & now 47.

My page views are almost 50-50 from KS vs campaign. My publisher (@Boom-Books) just sent out a tweet for 3 new KScout mysteries, mine & HN's & Tricia's. (Scout amazingly seems to be OK with publishing books with another imprint.) Vickie, yours has been doing great all along.

I felt the same as you, Bates, about wanting my big push in the middle. At my reading in 10 days I'm giving out 3 ARCs, with promo bookmarks as raffle tix. My fans seem to be more place-based than genre-based, & unfortunately Cape Cod is still a wifi/cell desert or I'd make them all take out their phones & QR-code vote on the spot. Still, I wish I could have got this book & campaign up around Memorial Day.

Offline Amy Corwin

• Clarkton, NC
  • Author of Historical Mysteries and Paranormals
    • View Profile
    • Amy Corwin, Author
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2015, 11:33:14 AM »
My concern about the Kindle Press contract is that it gives Amazon never-ending exclusive rights over ebook and audio--in other words, as long as your book makes a certain amount of money during each 5-year term, Amazon will legally hold rights to your work indefinitely. I think this could be harmful to writers. Thoughts, anyone?
I think that only matters if you want rights back. But if it is earning, then you are earning so I am not sure why you would want your rights back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Amy Corwin

• Clarkton, NC
  • Author of Historical Mysteries and Paranormals
    • View Profile
    • Amy Corwin, Author
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
Visibility. Merchandising. Promotion. A publishing team that is excited about your book and wants it to succeed.

On my own, my book would never appear in New and Notable or other Amazon merchandising. I wouldn't get reviews by the people who got the book free during the preorder period. I would not have alsobots already in place at launch due to the Scout winners getting a free copy of the book.

I get being eligible for Amazon promotion without having to tip a magic algorithm.

I get camaraderie and support from my fellow winners, who are a very supportive bunch.

I only make a couple hundred a month on my current books despite being a reasonably competent writer and marketer. I have a tendency to believe that with Kindle Press as my publisher, my potential has increased for the success of the book they selected.

If you are already a big seller, then don't submit. If you are a good writer who hasn't yet gotten the elusive lucky break, Kindle Scout might just provide it. My advance on my Scout book already doubles my writing income this year. I like that.

So, that's what you get in exchange for doing the things you would normally do to publish (copyediting, cover, and telling a good story). If you are already successful, you don't need it.

But me? I'm looking forward to my launch which has been engineered by experts for my success.
Those are really good points and exactly why I intend to submit a book in the near future. I hope it works out for you and anyone else who tries it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline PamelaKelley

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »
Eight days left of the Kindle Scout campaign for Jeff McQuede mystery Crying Woman Bridge.  Would I do it again...it's been nerve-wracking as it goes into hot and trending, then off, then on again.  The big advantage is not so much the advance, but Amazon can do so much more for advertising a book than the author can.  Please check out Crying Woman Bridge at this link:
 https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2OJCOUR5XXLDE

I just nominated you Vicki. Loved your excerpt. Good luck!

Offline Vickie Britton

• View Profile
    • Vickie Britton and Loretta Jackson
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
Thanks, Pamela.  Down to five days now, so every vote counts.  I try not to look at the hot and trending-one minute Crying Woman Bridge is there, the next it's not. The daily stats look pretty good so far.  So I'm hopeful, even though I don't really know how they make the final decision.
Vickie and Loretta Jackson: authors of The Jeff McQuede High County Mystery Series and the Ardis Cole Archaeological Mystery Series.  

Offline Cap'n Crunch

• View Profile
    • Tricia Owens Books
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
I hear you I had a little freak out moment when mine fell out. So far I have 13 days left I have 125 hours in h&T and 520 pageviews. No idea if that is enough to even get close, but here is me hoping it is. I have big campaign set up for September 1, Maybe I can stay in H&T until the end. I have a feeling the algorithms they have set up favor new books and books about to expire. Everyone tries to start their campaign off quickly so new books quickly become Hot and trending. I'm thinking on my next one I won't send out emails or do any promotions until my book falls out of the new category. I can't wait to add your book to my nominations.

The experience is completely nerve-racking and awesome at the same time.

This. I am dreading that middle stretch when I run out of people to steer to my campaign. I'm saving one promo opp for the end, but the middle? I suspect I'll be hearing crickets, haha.

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2015, 08:34:17 PM »
I don't think they will have a stranglehold on it forever, again it has to be making more than 5k a year for five years straight or more than 500 in any single year. So in essence you can get your rights back from them if your books not selling. For those of us just starting out and having a problem finding readership, the risk is worth the reward. It is for me at least. If you put up your first couple of books and are easily making more sales, then awesomesauce for you. :-) For me the exposure is worth it in spades, especially if you get selected.

You can have a few promos and sell more than 500 in a single year. Amazon has the power to promote your books and sell enough to keep you over the minimum. They have control. And they can keep doing it year after year if they decide it's in their interest.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:50:56 PM by Marian »