Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1468960 times)  

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #20200 on: August 12, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
Just made this to add to a tweet using Power Point. Didn't realize they have 3D on there. Plenty of tutorials on You Tube. Already had the kindle device but there are plenty around.

Declan, can you point to that tutorial on making that image? Since I'm cross promoting three campaigns, I think that that would be a great graphic to have.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20201 on: August 12, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
Declan, can you point to that tutorial on making that image? Since I'm cross promoting three campaigns, I think that that would be a great graphic to have.

This is the one I used, although I had to look on the top band to find 3D rather than on the right that he shows. To get the spine and the back cover, I imported the full print cover and chopped it to get a separate spine and the backcover. You can import or copy any image of a kindle device and drop in your cover. I did all three images separate, then opened a new power point and put it all together.

When finished save it as a Jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEYBnAcsno&t=315s
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:24:12 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #20202 on: August 12, 2017, 07:09:52 PM »
It's funny how doing something like this can push your bounderies as far as marketing is concerned.

Just made this to add to a tweet using Power Point. Didn't realize they have 3D on there. Plenty of tutorials on You Tube. Already had the kindle device but there are plenty around.

Win or lose, I'll be all set for a launch.

Good luck to the top three on the list.

Looks great, Declan.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20203 on: August 12, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »
Thanks Julianne. I hope you hear soon and it's good news, then I can get my free copy.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #20204 on: August 12, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
My other author friend has a book in Kindle Scout as well: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3FUYEQKDNB4V

I hope that they'll both be added to the list.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20205 on: August 12, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »
Thanks Julianne. I hope you hear soon and it's good news, then I can get my free copy.

I refuse to say anything about wait times.  Every time I do, I get an immediate rejection!  :D If I'm not selected, I'll have a few free days at release, so anyone can pick up a copy that wants one.

I don't always say it, but I always do it, top three nominated and fingers crossed for those of us in the waiting room.

Offline TheJackDublin

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20206 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:02 AM »
This is the one I used, although I had to look on the top band to find 3D rather than on the right that he shows. To get the spine and the back cover, I imported the full print cover and chopped it to get a separate spine and the backcover. You can import or copy any image of a kindle device and drop in your cover. I did all three images separate, then opened a new power point and put it all together.

Thanks for posting this tip - your image turned out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack Dublin

@TheJackDublin Instagram, Twitter and FB

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #20207 on: August 13, 2017, 03:45:11 AM »
Hey folks - it's Sunday and I've got the day off. All our big plans went to naught yesterday because it teemed down rain all day long. The outdoor events we wanted to catch were all rained out.

Speaking about events - I want to put a word in for fellow kboard author Jaxon Reed's promo service Readper has had GREAT success with boosting Kindle Scout Campaigns. I know because I have checked. In this week's Readper newsletter there were FIVE Kindle Scout Programs displayed on the sidebar.

Those five books would be THE DARWIN PROJECT (22 days left), DREADMARROW THIEF (11 days left), THE LOST AND FOUND JOURNAL OF A MINER 49ER (15 days left), GIRL AT THE WINDOW (13 days left) and JUST JILTED (5 days left).

And (here comes the REALLY cool part) out of those FIVE Kindle Scout campaigns EVERY SINGLE FREAKING ONE OF THEM HIT HOT AND TRENDING THIS WEEK!!!

So - if you want to build up your nomination list, stay on the H&T list, improve your chances of review then you REALLY ought to be looking at Readper!

All it costs is a measly $7.50.

http://readper.com/authors/

End of sermon!

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left The Spirit of Imhotep by Maria Isabel Pita
5 days left The Fallen Child by David Thompson
5 days left Just Jilted by Lila James
11 days left The Hills of Mare Imbrium by Carleton Chinner
11 days left Dreadmarrow Thief by Marjory Kaptanoglu
12 days left The Smiling Man Conspiracy by C.J. Sears
13 days left Girl At The Window by Declan Conner
14 days left Jalapeno Cupcake Wench by Carol Kilgore
15 days left The Lost and Found Journal of a Miner 49er by Jack Dublin
20 days left Dislocated by Ketheryn Leopard
22 days left The Darwin Project by John Hindmarsh
25 days left Freyja's Torc by Angelo Tsanatelis
25 days left All For Love by Cecilia Hopkins
25 days left The Fool's Secret by K. Childs
28 days left Wolf's Oath by Meg MacDonald
28 days left A Small Price by D.L. Barnhart
29 days left Rebirth by L. Fergus
29 days left The Torchbearer by J.D. Matheny
29 days left Moonrise by Mark Gardner

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

PS: I'm celebrating my 59th birthday this month. It is going to be a weird kind of a feeling, seeing that it will ALSO be the one year anniversary of my younger brother's passing, after a 4 year battle with pancreatic cancer. I came home from work last year, singing to myself and grinning and thinking about a beer - only to find that my brother had passed away. As a result I expect that my birthday this year will find me in a really odd sort of an emotional place. So, usually on my birthday I announce a big e-book sale. I'm going to announce it ahead of time this year. For the rest of the month of August almost ALL of my Kindle e-books have been marked down to 99 cents. I'd especially like to point out THE TATTERDEMON OMNIBUS, which has always been one of my favorite novels that I have written.

End of commercial!

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #20208 on: August 13, 2017, 05:54:34 AM »
It's a rainy Sunday, but that's a great excuse to read a few new Kindle Scout submissions. Right? Right? Bueller?  ;)

Current Nominations:

Spirit of Imhotep
The Fallen Child

Also I went a little (a lot) out of order and nominated:

Freyja's Torc

Anyway, best of luck to Ersha's Revenge and the others still in review for the past week or so.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20209 on: August 13, 2017, 06:39:50 AM »
Hey folks - it's Sunday and I've got the day off. All our big plans went to naught yesterday because it teemed down rain all day long. The outdoor events we wanted to catch were all rained out.

Speaking about events - I want to put a word in for fellow kboard author Jaxon Reed's promo service Readper has had GREAT success with boosting Kindle Scout Campaigns. I know because I have checked. In this week's Readper newsletter there were FIVE Kindle Scout Programs displayed on the sidebar.

Those five books would be THE DARWIN PROJECT (22 days left), DREADMARROW THIEF (11 days left), THE LOST AND FOUND JOURNAL OF A MINER 49ER (15 days left), GIRL AT THE WINDOW (13 days left) and JUST JILTED (5 days left).

And (here comes the REALLY cool part) out of those FIVE Kindle Scout campaigns EVERY SINGLE FREAKING ONE OF THEM HIT HOT AND TRENDING THIS WEEK!!!

So - if you want to build up your nomination list, stay on the H&T list, improve your chances of review then you REALLY ought to be looking at Readper!

End of sermon!

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left The Spirit of Imhotep by Maria Isabel Pita
5 days left The Fallen Child by David Thompson
5 days left Just Jilted by Lila James
11 days left The Hills of Mare Imbrium by Carleton Chinner
11 days left Dreadmarrow Thief by Marjory Kaptanoglu
12 days left The Smiling Man Conspiracy by C.J. Sears
13 days left Girl At The Window by Declan Conner
14 days left Jalapeno Cupcake Wench by Carol Kilgore
15 days left The Lost and Found Journal of a Miner 49er by Jack Dublin
20 days left Dislocated by Ketheryn Leopard
22 days left The Darwin Project by John Hindmarsh
25 days left Freyja's Torc by Angelo Tsanatelis
25 days left All For Love by Cecilia Hopkins
25 days left The Fool's Secret by K. Childs
28 days left Wolf's Oath by Meg MacDonald
29 days left Rebirth by L. Fergus

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

PS: I'm celebrating my 59th birthday this month. It is going to be a weird kind of a feeling, seeing that it will ALSO be the one year anniversary of my younger brother's passing, after a 4 year battle with pancreatic cancer. I came home from work last year, singing to myself and grinning and thinking about a beer - only to find that my brother had passed away. As a result I expect that my birthday this year will find me in a really odd sort of an emotional place. So, usually on my birthday I announce a big e-book sale. I'm going to announce it ahead of time this year. For the rest of the month of August almost ALL of my Kindle e-books have been marked down to 99 cents. I'd especially like to point out THE TATTERDEMON OMNIBUS, which has always been one of my favorite novels that I have written.

End of commercial!

Hello Steve,

Please add me to the list.

The Torchbearer by J.D.Matheny

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/34EOZDLTW75ZE

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother, what a shocking blow.  In any case, I wish you the best of birthdays!

J.D.Matheny | Facebook |Website

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
« Reply #20210 on: August 13, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »

Thanks it was easy to do! Dan
My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline D. L.

• View Profile
« Reply #20211 on: August 13, 2017, 07:35:40 AM »
A Small Price, my seventh submission to Kindle Scout/Kindle Press, is now live. (Has anyone submitted more novels?) My approach has always been to put the books up, inform a few people, and see what happens. This post is my launch announcement.  The link is: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1W637FCPJPKUE.

Steve Vernon-- Please add this book to your list. Thanks.

Online jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #20212 on: August 13, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I should mention $7.50 is for inclusion in the weekend newsletter only. Can't guarantee the H&T list for every mention, but it was super cool to see all the sidebar featured ones in the list yesterday.

Jaxon Reed | Main Site | Blog

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20213 on: August 13, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »
It's a rainy Sunday, but that's a great excuse to read a few new Kindle Scout submissions. Right? Right? Bueller?  ;)

Current Nominations:

Spirit of Imhotep
The Fallen Child

Also I went a little (a lot) out of order and nominated:

Freyja's Torc

Anyway, best of luck to Ersha's Revenge and the others still in review for the past week or so.

I've replied to your post over at the tweet thread. It could be of interest?

Declan Conner | blog

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20214 on: August 13, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
For those using Scout as a series launch pad, may I ask how you did your launch?  Some promotions require weeks of advance notice, which seems impossible with a Scout campaign.

Did you just offer the first book free from the start and only charge for subsequent books in the series?  I thought about only doing 3-7 days free then charging normal price, then going back to .99 each time a new book launched.

Is it best to wait until the entire series is out, then do heavy promotion on the first book?

Thanks!

Jason 

Offline margiebk

• View Profile
    • Marjory Kaptanoglu | Novelist & Screenwriter
« Reply #20215 on: August 13, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I should mention $7.50 is for inclusion in the weekend newsletter only. Can't guarantee the H&T list for every mention, but it was super cool to see all the sidebar featured ones in the list yesterday.

This is the second weekend of my book appearing in the readper newsletter, and both Saturdays my page views went way up (more on the first Saturday when it was the featured selection).

It's a little hard to tell which views came from where, as I'm advertising several places now, but there's no question readper has helped a lot to keep my book in the H&T (consistently since the first newsletter last Saturday), and it's a terrific value.

And since I'm giving credit here, I would also like to mention Author Shout, which at $10 is another fantastic deal. They gave me custom banners to use and seem to be tweeting my book all the time.

Marjory Kaptanoglu | Website | Goodreads | IMDB | Blog | Facebook

Offline margiebk

• View Profile
    • Marjory Kaptanoglu | Novelist & Screenwriter
« Reply #20216 on: August 13, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »
Had an open slot and just nominated The Fallen Child. Really well-written excerpt with a fascinating protagonist that pulled me right into the story.

Marjory Kaptanoglu | Website | Goodreads | IMDB | Blog | Facebook

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20217 on: August 13, 2017, 12:54:12 PM »
For those using Scout as a series launch pad, may I ask how you did your launch?  Some promotions require weeks of advance notice, which seems impossible with a Scout campaign.

Did you just offer the first book free from the start and only charge for subsequent books in the series?  I thought about only doing 3-7 days free then charging normal price, then going back to .99 each time a new book launched.

Is it best to wait until the entire series is out, then do heavy promotion on the first book?

Thanks!

Jason

Jason, depending on who you ask, you will get different answers, but here's my take.

I do a free release for a few days, and put that in my Thank You note, and post it to all the free book sites on Facebook.  That worked very well for my Nick of Time.  It was downloaded over 1200 times, got 15 reviews so far, and when it went paid, it was in the top 10 in two catagories for several weeks.  Your mileage may vary.

Generally, folks who are successful in Indie publishing recommend not paying for promotion until you have a series out, and not promoting that series until book 3.  That way you get more for your money because of read through.  They do recommend regular releases every month to three months, depending on how fast you can write.  Regular new releases can take the place of paid promotion in many respects.

Me, other than a little paid promotion during my Scout campaigns (I spent $45 on Ghost in the Park) I don't pay to advertise yet.  I don't plan to even think about it until Ghost 3 is out.

I'll second Steve's recommendation of Readper.  Best $7.50 I ever spent!

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20218 on: August 13, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »

End of sermon!

End of commercial!

Steve, those sorts of anniversaries are the hardest, and the first year is the worst.  Be kind to yourself, and do something for your birthday, even if it's a little low-key.  I'm so sorry for your loss.

I agree with the complete awesomeness of Readper.  It truly rocks.

Offline Carleton Chinner

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Electronic Allegorist
« Reply #20219 on: August 13, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
This is the second weekend of my book appearing in the readper newsletter, and both Saturdays my page views went way up (more on the first Saturday when it was the featured selection).

It certainly looks like readper has been good for you. Wish I'd gone with the readper newsletter much earlier. Author Shout has been rather disappointing. I've had a lot more views off FaceBook and LinkedIn.

All a good learning experience for my next book.

Carleton Chinner | Website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #20220 on: August 13, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »

Thanks!

Jason
it's true that if you promote before more series books are out, you can't get sell-through. However, if you have energized a potential readership, you will get some sell-through as each book is published. It's hard to get momentum for book 2 unless a large number of people have already read book 1. For that reason, I'd say yes, do promote the first book.

A few promoters book weeks to months out, but there are a fair number who can feature a book in the first one to three weeks.

I'm not a big fan of free. I tend to open on $0.99. So far, that has worked well for me.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20221 on: August 13, 2017, 01:09:25 PM »
Jason, depending on who you ask, you will get different answers, but here's my take.

I do a free release for a few days, and put that in my Thank You note, and post it to all the free book sites on Facebook.  That worked very well for my Nick of Time.  It was downloaded over 1200 times, got 15 reviews so far, and when it went paid, it was in the top 10 in two catagories for several weeks.  Your mileage may vary.

Generally, folks who are successful in Indie publishing recommend not paying for promotion until you have a series out, and not promoting that series until book 3.  That way you get more for your money because of read through.  They do recommend regular releases every month to three months, depending on how fast you can write.  Regular new releases can take the place of paid promotion in many respects.

Me, other than a little paid promotion during my Scout campaigns (I spent $45 on Ghost in the Park) I don't pay to advertise yet.  I don't plan to even think about it until Ghost 3 is out.

I'll second Steve's recommendation of Readper.  Best $7.50 I ever spent!

Thanks Julianne, that's great info! 

My stats aren't showing up yet, but I enrolled with AuthorShout and Readper, and ofcourse used my FB first.  I went live last night and was on H&T this morning already.  I have no idea if that was enough time for those promo's to hit, probably just good timing.  Jaxon at Readper has been super responsive and helpful.  AuthorShout, as well.  Both highly recommended and they seem worth it.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20222 on: August 13, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
it's true that if you promote before more series books are out, you can't get sell-through. However, if you have energized a potential readership, you will get some sell-through as each book is published. It's hard to get momentum for book 2 unless a large number of people have already read book 1. For that reason, I'd say yes, do promote the first book.

A few promoters book weeks to months out, but there are a fair number who can feature a book in the first one to three weeks.

I'm not a big fan of free. I tend to open on $0.99. So far, that has worked well for me.

Thanks for the feedback, Bill.  Makes sense to see what low-cost promotions are available, then hit the bigger ones at the end of the series.  I know I've got lists of promo sites somewhere from reading threads, just have to dust it off!

I've wondered about pricing.  Free is the rage, but I don't want some to think it denotes low-quality.  Not that it does, and maybe readers are savvy to the stategy and realize there's good backs for free, but I feel like a few days at free and then .99 sales are where I'm leaning.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20223 on: August 13, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
I've seen some quite successful launches that use 99c, with free promos during the first 30 days to get sales and reviews and at least a cat rank, then they increase their prices after 1 month when they have plenty of reviews to get onto promo sites. ( 20 is a good number to get on most promo sites) I'm not keen on ARCs for reviews because when I did it, other readers voted them down, and Amazon have made it that the readers can make those invisible.

I've always been crap at promoting new releases and it takes me forever to get organic reviews. That's why I'm enjoying the learning curve by participating on kindle scout. 5 of my books are $4.99 and though I get some sales it's not enough to make much bank, but it does encourage page reads which are quite healthy.

I've always been against 99c at launch, but I'm warming to it this time around if KS reject me, in view of the letter KS will send out to all who nominate me. At least any reviews from buys at 99c will be verified purchases. If that works to get 20 reviews, I'll put my price up to $4.99

I love free promos at the right time. I had 89,000 page views and tons of sales from the sales in December last year.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:35:36 PM by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #20224 on: August 13, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »
Thank you to everyone for all the nominations and support during my campaign.  I am very happy with the final results and look forward to hearing back from Kindle Scout.  I will continue to check in on this forum and look for those needing nominations.  I have enjoyed being a part of this community and look forward to speaking with you all in the future.  Hope to be sending good news soon <fingers crossed>

D.M. Chappell | blog