Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1403673 times)  

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #20700 on: September 07, 2017, 11:58:16 AM »
Maybe as entrants you don't care to discuss it, but in the last 43 days since they selected Untangling The Black Web, they have chosen only one book, Just Jilted. At least it was a kindleboarders book. With around 130 entrants that have come and gone in that time that's less than 1% acceptance.(0.77%)

Just wondering if this is the new norm, or if they will revert to around seven books per month? The last book they published in a hurry has come back with a review pointing out missing words and typos.

For those considering scout and looking in on the thread, I'm just wondering if now is not the right time until things get get back to normal? And for those who are in it, or the ones waiting, is it a case of wrong place, wrong time and not worth the stress & $$$ and effort in marketing?

They have definitely trended downward in recent months and really sort of stopped accepting books, but I think a lot of that comes from their attempts to refactor and redesign the program. I'm betting that with staff shakeup and new leadership there are a lot of changes still to come, but hopefully the acceptance number starts climbing soon.

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My Kindle Scout Campaign
« Reply #20701 on: September 07, 2017, 12:22:34 PM »
I regret doing two in a row at this particular time.
My friends were not prepared for a second campaign - their heads were back on the first campaign - "show us the book sort of thing".
The competition has been fierce to impossible.  Well we live and learn!

(Thanks to all who have supported me however.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:24:41 PM by Cecelia »
[https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y][/url]
New Campaign https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y

Offline Kimjwest

• Atlanta, GA
  • Author of White Male
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20702 on: September 07, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »
They have definitely trended downward in recent months and really sort of stopped accepting books, but I think a lot of that comes from their attempts to refactor and redesign the program. I'm betting that with staff shakeup and new leadership there are a lot of changes still to come, but hopefully the acceptance number starts climbing soon.

Hopefully if it's a shake up it will be good.  In my very little experience doing this, I would hope that they have editors from a wide range of backgrounds to assess the various books they have to review.  It would be awful if they only had a staff of Aunt Jemima's reviewing all genres.  They hopefully have men and women of ages and backgrounds and hopefully, each type of book goes to the right type of person.  A YA book should go to a YA person or someone with demonstrated experience in that genre and so on.  I guess there is no really discernible pattern yet with some of the books they have turned down though.  It keeps coming back to if the editor likes it, I suppose.  Especially those books like Girl at Window and 49ers that are taking forever to come back, meaning editing for launch, hopefully?
Do what you have to do, so that you will be able to do what you want to do.

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #20703 on: September 07, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »
I wouldn't count on length of time meaning anything in the selection process. Just got the emailed rejection for The Smiling Man Conspiracy after almost two weeks in review. Sad, but expected. Book probably didn't meet their specific needs. Wish I'd gotten the notice a few weeks sooner, but what can you do?

Had 1.4 K views, but I didn't market much. Don't know if that was the difference maker for their decision, but I'll probably not do quite the same "set it" and forget it next time.

Thanks to everyone who nominated me. I really do appreciate the vote of confidence/interest even if Amazon's editors don't share that view. You guys are great and I'm still doing my part in nominating your own work(s).
"The Shadow Over Lone Oak" is FREE through September 25th!

Amazon : Blog : Facebook : Goodreads : Twitter

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20704 on: September 07, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
I wouldn't count on length of time meaning anything in the selection process. Just got the emailed rejection for The Smiling Man Conspiracy after almost two weeks in review. Sad, but expected. Book probably didn't meet their specific needs. Wish I'd gotten the notice a few weeks sooner, but what can you do?

Had 1.4 K views, but I didn't market much. Don't know if that was the difference maker for their decision, but I'll probably not do quite the same "set it" and forget it next time.

Thanks to everyone who nominated me. I really do appreciate the vote of confidence/interest even if Amazon's editors don't share that view. You guys are great and I'm still doing my part in nominating your own work(s).

Sorry to hear that. Your campaign finished two days before me on the kindleboards list, and I'm next in the firing line from here, so I should hear one way or another in the next few days.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Picky Android

• View Profile
« Reply #20705 on: September 07, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »

I vote and have fun in the Kindle Scout program.  I remember you from Write On Lincoln.  Yes this is a trend in not selecting books I think. Or I have turned into a bad picker.  :)

Not sure why.  Could be Amazon wants to see those authors not selected still go ahead and publish in Select. Don't know. But it would be a wise move if they did just go KDP after not getting selected. I have seen a couple I would love to get in KDP. I may get a KU account and read those I find interesting.

You've won I know.  So does Amazon take your text and create the book for you once you're done with the editing?  I would think so.

I am having trouble getting my novella released. I used Kindle Create.  Something is buggy there.

But in a month, I could easily have a 60k word book (three series novella thing that could easily be a book). So should I do three Select novellas or one 60k book and try KS? Or just go 60k book as Select.  (assuming they fix the Kindle Create problem. I don't use MS word. )

I still have the option to do any of the above.

So advice from those that have thoughts and good ideas - please share.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20706 on: September 07, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
I vote and have fun in the Kindle Scout program.  I remember you from Write On Lincoln.  Yes this is a trend in not selecting books I think. Or I have turned into a bad picker.  :)

Not sure why.  Could be Amazon wants to see those authors not selected still go ahead and publish in Select. Don't know. But it would be a wise move if they did just go KDP after not getting selected. I have seen a couple I would love to get in KDP. I may get a KU account and read those I find interesting.

You've won I know.  So does Amazon take your text and create the book for you once you're done with the editing?  I would think so.

I am having trouble getting my novella released. I used Kindle Create.  Something is buggy there.

But in a month, I could easily have a 60k word book (three series novella thing that could easily be a book). So should I do three Select novellas or one 60k book and try KS? Or just go 60k book as Select.  (assuming they fix the Kindle Create problem. I don't use MS word. )

I still have the option to do any of the above.

So advice from those that have thoughts and good ideas - please share.

Short books and novellas have seen a dramatic drop in value and sales in recent years and in general a 60k book is short for a novel anyway. If you aren't in a hurry then kindle scout might be a good option but if you do want to go sooner or wide then maybe just use kdp.

Good luck!

Offline chloegarner

• View Profile
    • Blender Fiction
« Reply #20707 on: September 07, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »

I went digging for articles on a redesign and staff shakeup and can't find any.  I'm curious if there's any more to this story that you could point me to.  Thanks!

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20708 on: September 07, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »
I went digging for articles on a redesign and staff shakeup and can't find any.  I'm curious if there's any more to this story that you could point me to.  Thanks!

You won't find anything online about it. What I know of was from a private Facebook group. What you can find is the lead editor of Kindle scout a few months ago took the job of running Amazon's romance imprint and the communications between kindle scout and the selected authors have shifted around who sends them and how often recently. The rest is supposition and speculation but at the very least we could say the leadership has changed.

Offline Alan Felyk

• Lakewood, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Alan Felyk: Writer
« Reply #20709 on: September 07, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
Just viewed the cinematic book trailer for Damaged Beyond All Recognition. It's been a long time since I had such a surrealistic feeling. It's like my book came alive for me in that one minute and seven seconds of scenes, sounds, music, and narration. I would recommend doing a trailer for no other reason than to feel that.

Offline TheJackDublin

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20710 on: September 07, 2017, 09:04:07 PM »
Maybe as entrants you don't care to discuss it, but in the last 43 days since they selected Untangling The Black Web, they have chosen only one book, Just Jilted. At least it was a kindleboarders book. With around 130 entrants that have come and gone in that time that's less than 1% acceptance.(0.77%)

Just wondering if this is the new norm, or if they will revert to around seven books per month? The last book they published in a hurry has come back with a review pointing out missing words and typos.

For those considering scout and looking in on the thread, I'm just wondering if now is not the right time until things get get back to normal? And for those who are in it, or the ones waiting, is it a case of wrong place, wrong time and not worth the stress & $$$ and effort in marketing?
I'm on day 10 post campaign, still waiting on the 'accepted for publishing' to come through.  I believe editors at KS and marketers at Amazon take vacations, like the rest of us, this time of year.  If it were otherwise, accepts and passes would come through at the same clip as the other 11 months of the year.  Also, fewer writers submit in August, all of which helps to explain the Just Jilted phenomenon we are witnessing.

No regrets and no anxiety here - the wait is part of the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack Dublin

@TheJackDublin Instagram, Twitter and FB

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20711 on: September 08, 2017, 12:36:02 AM »

Sorry to hear this, I thought you book sounded excellent. Getting near the end of mine now and I'm more nervous about the two weeks of silence than I have been the entire campaign. Still no hot and trending and my views died a death after I dropped off the front page list, but hope springs eternal. Please let us know when/if you publish anyway!

Like Flies, grab a free copy when released by signing up!

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #20712 on: September 08, 2017, 03:28:57 AM »
It's Friday. I am more ready for a weekend than any man on the planet.

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Wolf's Oath by Meg MacDonald
2 days left A Small Price by D.L. Barnhart
2 days left Like Flies by Luke K. Bell
3 days left Rebirth by L. Fergus
3 days left The Torchbearer by J.D. Matheny
3 days left Moonrise by Mark Gardner
13 days left Truk Lagoon by David Thompson
13 days left Love Again by Kathryn Kelly
16 days left White Male by Kim J. West
16 days left Ghost Star by Roger Eschbacher
20 days left Matters of the Heart by Ben Muse
20 days left The Happy Hammock by Kathrin Lake
23 days left Hagar's Mother by Jim Nelson
23 days left Sarah Todd by Chloe Garner
23 days left The Taro Wish by A.J. Miah
23 days left Unclaimed Baggage by Emma Ryan
24 days left The Magic Christmas Train by Jina Bacarr
27 days left Ghosts at the College by Julianne Q. Johnson
27 days left Tomb of the First Priest by Tony Davies

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #20713 on: September 08, 2017, 04:24:59 AM »
Sorry to hear this, I thought you book sounded excellent. Getting near the end of mine now and I'm more nervous about the two weeks of silence than I have been the entire campaign. Still no hot and trending and my views died a death after I dropped off the front page list, but hope springs eternal. Please let us know when/if you publish anyway!

Thanks for the kind words, Luke. I've got Like Flies nominated alongside Wolf's Oath and A Small Price. All of them look like fun/engaging reads.

And I'm pleased to announce the release of The Smiling Man Conspiracy, available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075G9KNTQ/

Right now it's at it's normal price, but if you want to snag a FREE ebook copy, I'll be running a promotion from Saturday September 9th through the 13th.

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20714 on: September 08, 2017, 05:03:36 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Luke. I've got Like Flies nominated alongside Wolf's Oath and A Small Price. All of them look like fun/engaging reads.

And I'm pleased to announce the release of The Smiling Man Conspiracy, available here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075G9KNTQ/

Right now it's at it's normal price, but if you want to snag a FREE ebook copy, I'll be running a promotion from Saturday September 9th through the 13th.

I will definitely snag myself a free copy of it! As someone who has gone through the other side as it were, do they give you anything to go on? Other than "Sorry your book was not selected"?

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #20715 on: September 08, 2017, 05:11:11 AM »
I will definitely snag myself a free copy of it! As someone who has gone through the other side as it were, do they give you anything to go on? Other than "Sorry your book was not selected"?

For me, all they've said either time was that my book was unfortunately not selected, but keep on writing and submitting. I suspect that's the message they send basically every case.

Now, if you're a previous winner like lincolnjcole, I suspect it may be a bit different. He's mentioned in the thread that one of the reasons The Everett Exorcism was rejected was the iconography on the cover. Perhaps you get more direct feedback in situations like that, but mine certainly haven't been personalized.

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20716 on: September 08, 2017, 05:20:29 AM »
For me, all they've said either time was that my book was unfortunately not selected, but keep on writing and submitting. I suspect that's the message they send basically every case.

Now, if you're a previous winner like lincolnjcole, I suspect it may be a bit different. He's mentioned in the thread that one of the reasons The Everett Exorcism was rejected was the iconography on the cover. Perhaps you get more direct feedback in situations like that, but mine certainly haven't been personalized.

Thanks, it was actually lincolnjcole's comments about the cover that made me wonder if we would get any feedback on a rejection. I imagine you are correct and 9/10 they will just copy and paste the same thing to everyone.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20717 on: September 08, 2017, 05:25:55 AM »
Thanks, it was actually lincolnjcole's comments about the cover that made me wonder if we would get any feedback on a rejection. I imagine you are correct and 9/10 they will just copy and paste the same thing to everyone.

Yeah, the form letter is what most people got. Authors who were previously picked are allowed to submit directly without a campaign if we want which is why I think we get a little bit more.

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20718 on: September 08, 2017, 05:28:01 AM »
Yeah, the form letter is what most people got. Authors who were previously picked are allowed to submit directly without a campaign if we want which is why I think we get a little bit more.

Thanks, that's interesting to know... even more so if I manage to get my foot in the door!

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20719 on: September 08, 2017, 05:29:37 AM »
Thanks, that's interesting to know... even more so if I manage to get my foot in the door!

Yeah, here's hoping things open up a little bit and more people get selected! Good luck!

Offline Picky Android

• View Profile
« Reply #20720 on: September 08, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »
Short books and novellas have seen a dramatic drop in value and sales in recent years and in general a 60k book is short for a novel anyway. If you aren't in a hurry then kindle scout might be a good option but if you do want to go sooner or wide then maybe just use kdp.

Good luck!

Short works have never done real well I guess as a standalone work.  I know you are in a collection of shorts with Lexi L. "Summer Solstice" I think is it -  How is that collection going? I remember Lexi from WO too.  "Time Rats" a KS winner.

I think I should stay at novelette levels and have quite a few out there in a series. I am now thinking make them 99 cents each.  They are so easy to do at 10k words (what I have done now and only 2 and are closer to 20k each). The draw is you should have quite a few available (soon for me I hope) I think for them to even begin to be successful. 1 leads to 2, 2 leads 3, 3 leads to 4 ... and keep them coming. This is more like a serial ODTAA story.

With just 1 you just have to wait till you get more out there.  I do see novelette writers on here. I am not sure of what they are wanting to achieve. Each has their own approach.

The real draw I think is keep them all Select - free reads for KU folks.  The more you have, the more $ you get if the readers like the series. But it is not about the money so much for me; it will be a fun hobby I am hoping.  So I have mixed expectations as I think on what I want to achieve. I want some tiny hobby income, as I enjoy writing for fun.

I know a lot of you folks are hoping to depend on it as a career income thing.

I love to see what is in the pipe-line with KS. Only a very few catch my attention to want to read more. So KS is a hobby game to me as I try to improve my score. Keep selecting what you like best. Not that I will ever read them.  :) It is just a game to me.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:51:28 AM by Picky Android »

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20721 on: September 08, 2017, 06:51:58 AM »
Short works have never done real well I guess as a standalone work.  I know you are in a collection of shorts with Lexi L. "Summer Solstice" I think is it -  How is that collection going? I remember Lexi from WO too.  "Time Rats" a KS winner.

I think I should stay at novelette levels and have quite a few out there in a series. I am now thinking make them 99 cents each.  They are so easy to do at 10k words (what I have done now and only 2 and are closer to 20k each). The draw is you should have quite a few available (soon for me I hope) I think for them to even begin to be successful. 1 leads to 2, 2 leads 3, 3 leads to 4 ... and keep them coming. This is more like a serial ODTAA story.

With just 1 you just have to wait till you get more out there.  I do see novelette writer on here. I am not sure of what they are wanting to achieve. Each has their own approach.

The real draw I think is keep them all Select - free reads for KU folks.  The more you have, the more $ you get if the readers like the series. But it is not about the money so much for me; it will be a fun hobby I am hoping.  So I have mixed expectations as I think on what I want to achieve. I want some tiny hobby income, as I enjoy writing for fun.

I know a lot of you folks are hoping to depend on it as a career income thing.

I love to see what is in the pipe-line with KS. Only a very few catch my attention to want to read more. So KS is a hobby game to me as I try to improve my score. Keep selecting what you like best. Not that I will ever read them.  :) It is just a game to me.

The anthologies have given away about 15k copies total and sold a few hundred of the participating authors' books. In general, though, it's more just something to give away for free than anything else!

Offline Roger Eschbacher

• Los Angeles, CA
  • Author, Animation Writer, Life Enjoyer
    • View Profile
    • Roger Eschbacher Books and Other Writing
« Reply #20722 on: September 08, 2017, 07:11:59 AM »
Nominated:

Good luck, everyone!
, ,

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20723 on: September 08, 2017, 07:29:35 AM »
Nominated:

Good luck, everyone!

Thanks Roger, I really appreciate it.

Offline Alyson Larrabee

• Easton, MA
    • View Profile
    • https://alysonlarrabee.wordpress.com/author/alysonlarrabee/
« Reply #20724 on: September 08, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
For anyone who's running a KS campaign, or has a published book out there, I highly recommend Jaxon Reed's site http://readper.com/authors/   . He helped me tremendously, is communicative about what he's doing for your book, and has reasonable prices. Also, he's a Kboards contributor. Several other people on this thread have recommended Readper, and I just wanted to add my endorsement to theirs.