Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1591501 times)  

Offline TheJackDublin

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #20875 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Thanks Decon, I don't know about anyone else but this is worse than watching my stats during the campaign. Although, I'm gradually lowering the number of times I check my emails each day... I think I'm down to only a couple of hundred now.
I set up a VIP alert in my mail settings so I would receive a special ring tone for KS.  That kept me from checking the mailbox for the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack Dublin

@TheJackDublin Instagram, Twitter and FB

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20876 on: September 13, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »
Just for the keeper of records, I have just had the no from KS. Like Flies will not be published on Kindle Press.
As much as I have been trying to convince myself that it was going to happen anyway, it's still a little disappointing.
Good luck to those of you left in the waiting room!

Like Flies
Signup for news and updates at www.lukekbell.co.uk

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20877 on: September 13, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
Just for the keeper of records, I have just had the no from KS. Like Flies will not be published on Kindle Press.
As much as I have been trying to convince myself that it was going to happen anyway, it's still a little disappointing.

Sorry to hear that. It is a downer when you get a no, but hey, its onwards and upwards from here. Good luck with sales if you decide to publish. Sorry if you posted them before, but what were your stats?

Here's the updated waiting list.

Dislocated by Ketheryn Leopard
The Darwin Project by John Hindmarsh
Freyja's Torc by Angelo Tsanatelis
All For Love by Cecilia Hopkins
The Fool's Secret by K. Childs

A Small Price by D.L. Barnhart

Rebirth by L. Fergus
The Torchbearer by J.D. Matheny
Moonrise by Mark Gardner

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20878 on: September 13, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »
2.8k views and only 49 hours in hot and trending.
I'm not sure where to go now to be honest, I guess I'll see how many people sign up for news and go from there.
Thanks everyone for all the advice and support

Like Flies

Offline lmsorrell

• Yorkshire, U.K.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Sorrell
« Reply #20879 on: September 13, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »

Oh my goodness! Really? Disappointing, Luke, but don't let that be the end of it. I, for one, would love to read your story. Your writing style is tremendous, and a great concept. It would be a shame to not see it out there. Chin up! :)
Lx

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20880 on: September 13, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »
Oh my goodness! Really? Disappointing, Luke, but don't let that be the end of it. I, for one, would love to read your story. Your writing style is tremendous, and a great concept. It would be a shame to not see it out there. Chin up! :)
Lx

Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure I will publish it, I may just have another week or so to go through it again. As it's my first, maybe I missed some obvious things in it and it's probably worth another read through, but I will be sure to inform/beg everyone on Kboards to grab a copy and review it for me. Good luck with you own campaign.

Like Flies

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #20881 on: September 13, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, I'm sure I will publish it, I may just have another week or so to go through it again. As it's my first, maybe I missed some obvious things in it and it's probably worth another read through, but I will be sure to inform/beg everyone on Kboards to grab a copy and review it for me. Good luck with you own campaign.
It's also wise to go through a book once more before hitting publish. I thought my submission was letter perfect, but I discovered a number of small errors in it when I looked again. Typos are like cockroaches--very hard to kill!

Once you're satisfied with the book, though, you'll want to publish soon so that you can capitalize on your Scout momentum.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20882 on: September 13, 2017, 01:43:54 PM »
Thanks Bill. I think I could probably keep editing it forever but I'll try to be ruthless and keep the momentum in mind!

Like Flies

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20883 on: September 13, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
Thanks Bill. I think I could probably keep editing it forever but I'll try to be ruthless and keep the momentum in mind!

I struggle with this temptation, the edit and edit again.  I've so far resisted as I've worried that I'll never finish.  Especially as a new author, I feel like I grow with each session and I could end up re-writing the entire book.

I'd say just focus on clean-up and glaring holes only (if any).  Then get it out there!  Good luck, I nominated and think it would be an interesting read.  It's only one book in what will, hopefully, be a substantial body of work.  Always positive!

J.D.Matheny | Facebook |Website

Offline kathrinlake4@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #20884 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »

Thanks for reporting back Luke, my heart goes out to you. I am in the waiting room and blogging about it all.
Blog post is here: https://kathrinlake.wordpress.com/2017/09/13/4-post-kindle-scout-campaign-pace-yourself/
Please feel free to have a look and cast a vote for me, I'd appreciate it.
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/6RZV8XHY3K9H
Soon to publish the first in my series The Happy Hammock, a humorous romantic journey based on true stories of life in Mexico. Kind of Under Tuscan Sunnish.See the excerpt here: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/6RZV8XHY3K9H
Writing retreats in Mexico here: https://vswwritingretreats.wordpress.com/writing-retreats/
Kathrin Lake | Kathrin's Blog | VSW twitter | Kathrin's Facebook

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #20885 on: September 14, 2017, 01:46:39 AM »
It's Thursday.

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

7 days left Truk Lagoon by David Thompson
7 days left Love Again by Kathryn Kelly
10 days left White Male by Kim J. West
10 days left Ghost Star by Roger Eschbacher
14 days left Matters of the Heart by Ben Muse
14 days left The Happy Hammock by Kathrin Lake
17 days left Hagar's Mother by Jim Nelson
17 days left Sarah Todd by Chloe Garner
17 days left The Taro Wish by A.J. Miah
17 days left Unclaimed Baggage by Emma Ryan
18 days left The Magic Christmas Train by Jina Bacarr
21 days left Ghosts at the College by Julianne Q. Johnson
21 days left Tomb of the First Priest by Tony Davies
22 days left Broken Blue by L.M. Sorrell
22 days left Voidwalker by M.L. Brooks
25 days left When They Saw by Kody Boye
28 days left The Four Tenors of the Apocalypse by Chris Ingham
29 days left The Isle of Jeru by Elle Emery

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20886 on: September 14, 2017, 05:05:54 AM »
Just to say, that it is a downer when you don't get picked, and perhaps the dread is that when you go on to publish that there is something wrong with your story. Don't let self-doubt freak you out. Even when I published Girl at the Window a few days ago and the sales came in, my heart was in my mouth wondering what readers would think of it and if the story was a dud. It wasn't only rejected by kindle scout, but at least 5 literary agents, though I did have offers from 2 small presses when they saw it on Wattpad. I didn't send out any ARCs for reviews which was maybe a mistake, but then I woke up to this.

Five Star. Suspension packed...Had to keep reading until I finished and the end was unforeseeable! Deeply stirring, yet very empathetic. Must read!

The only downer was that it isn't verified, so it must be a kindle unlimited customer. Anyway I went to look at their profile and they had given quite a few recent 5 stars, but then as I worked my way through their reviews, there were reviews down to 1 star which made me feel better.

Ever the pessimist, I know they won't all come in like that, but it made my day.

All I'm saying is have faith in your own abilities and don't let rejection get you down if that is the outcome of a campaign.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:30:29 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #20887 on: September 14, 2017, 05:27:59 AM »
Just to say, that it is a downer when you don't get picked, and perhaps the dread is that when you go on to publish that there is something wrong with your story. Don't let self-doubt freak you out. Even when I published Girl at the Window a few days ago and the sales came in, my heart was in my mouth wondering what readers would think of it and if the story was a dud. It wasn't only rejected by kindle scout, but at least 5 literary agents, though I did have offers from 2 small presses when they saw it on Wattpad. I didn't send out any ARCs for reviews which was maybe a mistake, but then I woke up to this.

Five Star. Suspension packed...Had to keep reading until I finished and the end was unforeseeable! Deeply stirring, yet very empathetic. Must read!

The only downer was that it isn't verified, so it must be a kindle unlimited customer. Anyway I went to look at their profile and they had given quite a few recent 5 stars, but then as I worked my way through their reviews, there were reviews down to 1 star which made me feel better.

All I'm saying is have faith in your own abilities and don't let rejection get you down if that is the outcome of a campaign.

Yeah. Overcoming the self-perception of failure is difficult. But the best thing to do is keep your chin up and commit.

Cool that you got your first review so early and that it's extremely positive. I'm still waiting for input by readers of The Smiling Man Conspiracy to arrive, but I figure with 300+ downloads there has to be someone willing to write a review. Besides, it's only been out six days. No need to rush, in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about Like Flies and a handful of others not making the cut. They still haven't picked anything since Just Jilted. Really makes you wonder what must be changing in their selection process.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20888 on: September 14, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »
Definitely super cool to get some good reviews! Good luck everyone with your book launches, as well as everyone still in their campaign and waiting for results!

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
« Reply #20889 on: September 14, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »

Ever the pessimist, I know they won't all come in like that, but it made my day.

Congrats on the great 5-star review, Decon. May you receive many more!

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #20890 on: September 14, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
That's so true. We've seen a lot of good books get rejected. Even the KS people might well have thought they were good, just not something they were sure they could market at the time. Quite a number of them have done well when released--and those are just the ones where people reported back. There could be even more than that.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline lmsorrell

• Yorkshire, U.K.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Sorrell
« Reply #20891 on: September 14, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the best thread to ask this question, but still finding my feet on Kboards. Please could I ask those with published books on Kindle what your experiences of being paid by Amazon are like? Do they hold on to your royalties for a set period before they pay you? Do they deal with the tax etc?

Much appreciated!

Lxx

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20892 on: September 14, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the best thread to ask this question, but still finding my feet on Kboards. Please could I ask those with published books on Kindle what your experiences of being paid by Amazon are like? Do they hold on to your royalties for a set period before they pay you? Do they deal with the tax etc?

Much appreciated!

Lxx

I think we need a little bit more context with what you are asking.

For example: do you mean Amazon Publishing or KDP?

With KDP they convert the money across your paperbacks and eBooks globally and locally into your currency (USD?) and pay monthly. This is as long as you do bank transfers rather than payment by cheque (which is NOT recommended) at which point they will hold your money until a certain threshold is met and them pay.  Don't do cheque...do bank payment and load your bank on there.

With Amazon Publishing it works basically the same way, though through different websites and payment methods. They also group it all into 1 payment rather than different markets = different payments.

KEEP IN MIND FOR KDP: This is September.
  • Your books sell from SEPT 1st through SEPT 30.
  • Your numbers compile OCTOBER 15th
  • You get paid DECEMBER 30th (+- 3 days)

That means on September 15th you will get a notice about sales and how much money you will get for August, and on September 30th you get paid for July. Annually, you will also get a form from amazon for your taxes that you have to report as miscellaneous income. THEY DO NOT WITHHOLD TAXES that is your responsibility. Also, since you are self-employed as an author your taxes are closer to 30% than 15% like your normal job. You can deduct business and operational expenses from the income you make, but consult a tax professional about going this route.

HOWEVER: this is all circumstantial and changes. On your KDP account there are informational and help links with up to date articles about ALL of this. Those are what you should be looking at, because circumstances change, Amazon adjusts things, and different countries have different rules. For example, in the US with Amazon Associates you get paid monthly if you meet a $10 threshold, but from UK store you get paid as a US citizen by cheque IN pounds, which means you have to be able to convert it on your own, and is a 50 pound threshold. Each store, country, and circumstance is different and it is your responsibility to research what applies in your situation (because your situation will be different from all of ours).

Offline lmsorrell

• Yorkshire, U.K.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Sorrell
« Reply #20893 on: September 14, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
I think we need a little bit more context with what you are asking.

For example: do you mean Amazon Publishing or KDP?

With KDP they convert the money across your paperbacks and eBooks globally and locally into your currency (USD?) and pay monthly. This is as long as you do bank transfers rather than payment by cheque (which is NOT recommended) at which point they will hold your money until a certain threshold is met and them pay.  Don't do cheque...do bank payment and load your bank on there.

With Amazon Publishing it works basically the same way, though through different websites and payment methods. They also group it all into 1 payment rather than different markets = different payments.

KEEP IN MIND FOR KDP: This is September.
  • Your books sell from SEPT 1st through SEPT 30.
  • Your numbers compile OCTOBER 15th
  • You get paid DECEMBER 30th (+- 3 days)

That means on September 15th you will get a notice about sales and how much money you will get for August, and on September 30th you get paid for July. Annually, you will also get a form from amazon for your taxes that you have to report as miscellaneous income. THEY DO NOT WITHHOLD TAXES that is your responsibility. Also, since you are self-employed as an author your taxes are closer to 30% than 15% like your normal job. You can deduct business and operational expenses from the income you make, but consult a tax professional about going this route.

HOWEVER: this is all circumstantial and changes. On your KDP account there are informational and help links with up to date articles about ALL of this. Those are what you should be looking at, because circumstances change, Amazon adjusts things, and different countries have different rules. For example, in the US with Amazon Associates you get paid monthly if you meet a $10 threshold, but from UK store you get paid as a US citizen by cheque IN pounds, which means you have to be able to convert it on your own, and is a 50 pound threshold. Each store, country, and circumstance is different and it is your responsibility to research what applies in your situation (because your situation will be different from all of ours).

Thanks very very much! That's perfect. As I say, I'm completely new to all of this and all of my writer friends here in the UK are traditionally published. It's just me that broke away from the pack, as I didn't know if I wanted to go down that route. So here I am, BROKEN BLUE is the fourth novel I've written, first one I want to publish and I'm staring up at this huge scary mountain that is self-publishing and wondering if I'm asking the right questions to support my projects. So thanks very much.  Really appreciate your advice.

Offline Carleton Chinner

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Electronic Allegorist
« Reply #20894 on: September 14, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
Hi all,

It's been a while since The Hills of Mare Imbrium joined the ever-growing pile of Scout No thank yous. The last few weeks has been about learning just how hard it is to get people to pay attention to an unknown author. It's a good thing that humility is such a character-building experience.
I've been taking small steps with equally small sales, but it is an encouraging start. The one or two sales I get every day are no longer from friends and family.

For those of you who were interested in reading it, The Hills of Mare Imbrium is free all weekend on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758DSP5Z

Carleton Chinner | Website

Offline Elle Emery

• View Profile
    • KS Campaign Page
« Reply #20895 on: September 14, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
Hello all,
I've lurked for a while and I finally entered my book into KS! Today was my first day, and the tension has nearly wiped me out.  :D  I don't know how I'll last the next 29 days!  :o Ha. Just want to say I'm glad I have a place to chat, vent, and cheer on others who are going through the same journey.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1E9UQ8R948CNU
Do you like magic, mysteries, and munchies? Follow me to The Isle of Jeru.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20896 on: September 14, 2017, 06:08:59 PM »
Hello all,
I've lurked for a while and I finally entered my book into KS! Today was my first day, and the tension has nearly wiped me out.  :D  I don't know how I'll last the next 29 days!  :o Ha. Just want to say I'm glad I have a place to chat, vent, and cheer on others who are going through the same journey.

Welcome!

Offline emmaryan

• View Profile
« Reply #20897 on: September 14, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »

great to hear!

often, i find myself dwelling on   negative reviews even when they're in the minority. gotta remember to count my star average!

Offline debbieburkewriter

• View Profile
    • Debbie Burke Novels of Crime, Mystery, Intrigue
« Reply #20898 on: September 14, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »
Hi Rena, TF, Steve, Lincoln, Julianne, and the good folks on this board,

I've been AWOL until today and just caught up on a few posts. Rena, thanks for your kind words and good wishes! Still waiting for Cybele. TF, thank you too and glad you like the new cover.

Can I offer a little update on what's happened since Instrument of the Devil was selected?

The editing process was entirely painless. I accepted all changes and rewrote a few sections where the Kirkus editor Rachel asked for clarification. The hardest part was getting my wonky version of Word to get rid of the track change comments. I'd delete all the comments, the file looked fine, yet when I sent it to KP, the comments kept reappearing...like herpes outbreaks! Gabriel was helpful in working with me. Finally I had to redo the edits on a different computer with a different version of Word. Very frustrating. 

Editor Mariette wanted to do a different cover. She was gracious about asking for my input and wanted to be sure I was happy with the design. Took a couple of weeks and the result was very nice. 

The estimated dates were mid-October for pre-order and mid-November for release. So when I received the pre-order copy on September 11, I was pleasantly surprised that it was early. The release date is now October 10. Yippee! Two five-star reviews so far. Really delighted.

Had a little trouble setting up my Author Page. After three days w/o verification by Amazon, I called and told them I kept getting an error message. Jhodi immediately activated the page manually. However, after several hours, I discovered the author link was no longer working. It kept going to a message saying sorry can't find the page, with a photo of a cute dog on it. I emailed them and hope it will be fixed shortly.

I want to do a print version with Create Space. I emailed KP to ask if it was permissible to use the new cover they had done. They offered two options: 1. recreate the cover using the same Shutterstock image and fonts and relicense the image myself. They will provide the image and font information; 2. they submit a sublicensing request, requiring rounds of approval, then I would sign a sublicensing agreement and they will send the layered files. I'm not a cover designer so option 1 sounds beyond my ability. Option 2 sounds complicated. Have any Scout veterans had this experience? Do you have suggestions or recommendations?

Author Shout (Lincoln's recommendation) has been well worth the very reasonable price. I didn't discover their 30-day Scout promo package until the last ten days of my campaign. I would have been happy to pay $10 just for the increased views they brought in for those ten days. However, they offered to do the remaining twenty days of promotion when the book was published. Cool. I emailed a couple of days ago to ask them to start the twenty days and they responded immediately. For $10, I'm amazed at how much effort they put out and the good results. Highly recommend them if you're looking for a lot of bang for your buck.

My Scout experience so far has been great. The few problems have been handled promptly. I feel fortunate to have been chosen my first time out of the Scout chute. However, this ain't my first rodeo, just the first one in this town. In the past twenty-plus years, I've been bucked off too many times to count. I've written ten novels, went through two agents, and gathered many rave rejections from traditional houses. Finally, here's my first published book.

Ya gotta put in your time, keep improving your craft, and don't give up.

Whoa, sorry this post is so long.

Novels of Crime, Mystery, Intrigue
Debbie Burke | DebbieBurkeWriter | DebbieBurkeFacebook

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #20899 on: September 15, 2017, 12:48:10 AM »
Okay, so it's Friday.

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

6 days left Truk Lagoon by David Thompson
6 days left Love Again by Kathryn Kelly
9 days left White Male by Kim J. West
9 days left Ghost Star by Roger Eschbacher
13 days left Matters of the Heart by Ben Muse
13 days left The Happy Hammock by Kathrin Lake
16 days left Hagar's Mother by Jim Nelson
16 days left Sarah Todd by Chloe Garner
16 days left The Taro Wish by A.J. Miah
16 days left Unclaimed Baggage by Emma Ryan
17 days left The Magic Christmas Train by Jina Bacarr
20 days left Ghosts at the College by Julianne Q. Johnson
20 days left Tomb of the First Priest by Tony Davies
21 days left Broken Blue by L.M. Sorrell
21 days left Voidwalker by M.L. Brooks
24 days left When They Saw by Kody Boye
27 days left The Four Tenors of the Apocalypse by Chris Ingham
28 days left The Isle of Jeru by Elle Emery

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!