Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1643545 times)  

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #21550 on: October 13, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
Well, I had a good run - but it finally happened... I fell off H&T today. Is it too soon to start stress eating, given I still have 23 days left of grueling (frequent) paranoia?  :o

If you don't mind me asking, how was your book doing when it made it into H&T? Mine is currently running at about 250 pages views per day and I haven't hit H&T at all.

Offline xprettyguardianx

• Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21551 on: October 13, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, how was your book doing when it made it into H&T? Mine is currently running at about 250 pages views per day and I haven't hit H&T at all.

I don't know the exact algorithm but the days where I was on H&T I was getting close to 400 page views per day and those were also times where I was likely getting a lot more nominations than usual, for example when I first posted it to facebook and had a big response from the friends list, and then again towards the end when people were more likely to get in their nomination on the last 2 days so as to maximize their nominations.

Offline AnnetteL

• USA
  • USA Today Bestselling Author
    • View Profile
    • Official Website
« Reply #21552 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »
Hi Kessie,
I've had a book accepted by the Scout program, which will be published by Kindle Press in the next few weeks. I'm just finishing up their editing process. (Yes, they definitely edit!) They also promote the books within their program, although the type and amount of promotions vary by individual book just like trad press. If you're curious about sales, then I suggest going to the Scout site and researching the books already published. You can do that by clicking Browse Categories, and then clicking the bottom menu option: Published by Kindle Press. There's a list there of all the books they've accepted and when. Mine is A Scrying Shame, so you'll see it was accepted May 1st. If you go to the books that have already launched you can find the link to their Amazon page and check out their ranks. You'll find a lot of variability because of differences in genre and whether the author has other series out or an established platform. I will say that from my tracking of their results (and you can believe I was doing that both before and after my campaign) the Kindle Press books tend to have a higher selling rate, although the variable of genre, platform, individual marketing reach all factor in just like anywhere else. I do think that since Scout has only been up and running for about 9 months or so that they're still working out kinks and figuring out what they can do marketing-wise.

I've been super happy every step of the way so far. The editing team are incredibly nice and responsive to questions. My fellow Scout winners are in contact with each other and extraordinarily supportive. My book is tentatively scheduled to go up for preorders on the 22nd and launch wide on July 7th. So from the time I put it in Scout (Apr 1st) til publish will have been a tad over 3 months. No complaints there at all!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I've had some friends be selected through Kindle Scout, but not in my genre. I hadn't thought about looking up books from KP to check their rankings. I'm very tempted to try it for a book I've been sitting on.

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #21553 on: October 13, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
I don't know the exact algorithm but the days where I was on H&T I was getting close to 400 page views per day and those were also times where I was likely getting a lot more nominations than usual, for example when I first posted it to facebook and had a big response from the friends list, and then again towards the end when people were more likely to get in their nomination on the last 2 days so as to maximize their nominations.

At the end of a campaign it seems like K. Scout automatically puts you in H&T. My first campaign got off to a disaster start, problems with my cover and a typo in the blurb etc... By the time I got K. Scout to fix the issues, I was already halfway though the campaign so I just gave up. I finished with just under 1000 page views but went into H&T for my final 3 days. My new campaign for my book, The Hunger, is doing much better, even though I'm not doing any 3rd party advertisements except Author shout. It still won't do as well as some of the other campaigns I've seen people running, (I'm just not that great at marketing. I like the solitude of writing, and am not a big social media person) but with some of the big spikes in pages reads I've had so far, I kind of figured that I might be at least close to getting into H&T.

Offline Paranorma1

• View Profile
« Reply #21554 on: October 13, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Just updated my nominations to The Isle of Jeru, Surrender My Heart, and Pivotal. Good luck!

When I got notice that The Magic Christmas Train wasn't accepted, for about thirty seconds, my mind went completely blank and I was certain it was KS notifying me that my own campaign hadn't been selected. ... But the suspense goes on. I imagine I have at least a week more of waiting to get that e-mail.  :P I'm ready for someone's book to deliver good news to my inbox even if it's not mine!

Ha! Just realized that everyone whose campaign ended at the same time as mine goes by their first and middle initials. LM, ID, ML, CJ. Hoping someone gets good news soon!

CJ

Offline lewg

• Fayetteville, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21555 on: October 13, 2017, 11:44:42 AM »
I have been waiting for someone I hired to do my book cover for over two weeks to produce something and all Ive gotten in return is lip service.  Im ready to launch my book otherwise and losing my patience.  Are there any software programs or sites I can visit to simply do it myself?  Thanks.

Lewis P. Gravis

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #21556 on: October 13, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
I have been waiting for someone I hired to do my book cover for over two weeks to produce something and all Ive gotten in return is lip service.  Im ready to launch my book otherwise and losing my patience.  Are there any software programs or sites I can visit to simply do it myself?  Thanks.

Have you looked into some of the graphic designers on Fiverr? A lot of them do excellent work for only $5, and have it done in as little as 24 hours. My books I have listed below are from a few of the Fiverr designers.

Offline Elle Emery

• View Profile
    • KS Campaign Page
« Reply #21557 on: October 13, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »
I have been waiting for someone I hired to do my book cover for over two weeks to produce something and all I’ve gotten in return is lip service.  I’m ready to launch my book otherwise and losing my patience.  Are there any software programs or sites I can visit to simply do it myself?  Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear of your book cover challenges! That sucks.   >:(

Hopefully I can help you. I made my Isle of Jeru book cover using two apps. The first was Assembly, then I used Snapseed to put some filters on it. The second book cover (is not complete) but one that I was able to create in five minutes using (again) Assembly and Snapseed. I hope this helps. To second the fiverr option, I know many people who had immense success with their book covers.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:59:16 PM by Elle Emery »
Do you like magic, mysteries, and munchies? Follow me to The Isle of Jeru.
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1E9UQ8R948CNU

Offline lewg

• Fayetteville, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21558 on: October 13, 2017, 01:40:26 PM »
Have you looked into some of the graphic designers on Fiverr? A lot of them do excellent work for only $5, and have it done in as little as 24 hours. My books I have listed below are from a few of the Fiverr designers.

I will definitely check out Fiverr.  Thanks for the great suggestion.  I really appreciate it.

Lewis P. Gravis

Offline lewg

• Fayetteville, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21559 on: October 13, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »

Hopefully I can help you. I made my Isle of Jeru book cover using two apps. The first was Assembly, then I used Snapseed to put some filters on it. The second book cover (is not complete) but one that I was able to create in five minutes using (again) Assembly and Snapseed. I hope this helps. To second the fiverr option, I know many people who had immense success with their book cover.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions.  Ill give them a try.

Lewis P. Gravis

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #21560 on: October 13, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »

At this point I'm still doing all of my own covers.  I use either a picture I took myself or a picture from Pixabay (free), sometimes throw it through some filters on Pixlr, (free), sometimes use a program called Fotosketcher (free download) and tidy up and add text in Paint Shop Pro.  My best advice is keep fonts simple.  Some of those folks on Fiver are great, but if you need to do it yourself, those are some things that can help.

Offline lewg

• Fayetteville, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21561 on: October 13, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »
At this point I'm still doing all of my own covers.  I use either a picture I took myself or a picture from Pixabay (free), sometimes throw it through some filters on Pixlr, (free), sometimes use a program called Fotosketcher (free download) and tidy up and add text in Paint Shop Pro.  My best advice is keep fonts simple.  Some of those folks on Fiver are great, but if you need to do it yourself, those are some things that can help.

Thank you so much for the great suggestions.  I learned early on in my campaign that an enticing book cover can and does make a world of difference.  My hope is that a new and improved book cover will help facilitate book sales.  My editor is almost finished with my book revisions, so my hope is to officially launch my book and see what it will do.

Lewis P. Gravis

Offline Adam_T

• View Profile
« Reply #21562 on: October 13, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »
Just updated my nominations to The Isle of Jeru, Surrender My Heart, and Pivotal. Good luck!

When I got notice that The Magic Christmas Train wasn't accepted, for about thirty seconds, my mind went completely blank and I was certain it was KS notifying me that my own campaign hadn't been selected. ... But the suspense goes on. I imagine I have at least a week more of waiting to get that e-mail.  :P I'm ready for someone's book to deliver good news to my inbox even if it's not mine!

Ha! Just realized that everyone whose campaign ended at the same time as mine goes by their first and middle initials. LM, ID, ML, CJ. Hoping someone gets good news soon!

CJ

Thanks so much for the nom.  I'm not sure mine has a snowball's chance, but it would mean a lot to me to have it picked.

Offline emmaryan

• View Profile
« Reply #21563 on: October 13, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »

Hopefully I can help you. I made my Isle of Jeru book cover using two apps. The first was Assembly, then I used Snapseed to put some filters on it. The second book cover (is not complete) but one that I was able to create in five minutes using (again) Assembly and Snapseed. I hope this helps. To second the fiverr option, I know many people who had immense success with their book covers.

your covers are awesome, very professional.

Offline Jewel Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #21564 on: October 14, 2017, 01:53:24 AM »
Hi guys! I wish I had read this thread before I submitted my Kindle Scout book.  :P Ah, well. You guys are amazing.

So I have a question. When I got my preview two days ago, I noticed a typo which wasn't on the original document. I asked them to fix it, and got a reply asking me to email them the correct manuscript. Has anyone else asked to update a manuscript, and how long did it take them to fix it?

Here's my KS in case you are curious and would like to check it out/nominate it. :-) Thank you!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/YX2M6TZCJ4BI
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:58:47 PM by Jewel Allen »

Jewel Allen | Website | Facebook

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #21565 on: October 14, 2017, 02:43:15 AM »
It's Saturday. I had a GREAT time at the school yesterday, in spite of having to set my alarm clock to 5am in order to grab a taxi downtown to get to the express bus where I drove for a half an hour to then catch a lift to the school itself. Ten classes from Grades 2 to Grade 5.

Now if only I had remembered last night to "unset" my darned alarm clock before it woke me up from a really great sleep at 5am this morning.

Today at dinner time I'll be meeting with a local podcaster for an outdoor podcast of some of my ghost stories.

Here's a link to last year's podcast, if you'd like to hear me telling and/or reading some of my local ghost stories.
https://www.nighttimepodcast.com/episodes/hauntedhalifax

Now let's get to today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

5 days left Pivotal by Adam Thielen
5 days left Surrender My Heart by L.G. O'Connor
5 days left Kyle Harrison Movie Star by Robertson Tait
6 days left Christian by Ann M. Pratley
6 days left Status Rises by Vincent Robert Annunziato
8 days left Girl Vs by Xela Culletto
9 days left The Fire Eye Refugee by Samuel Gately
14 days left George: The Long Road Ahead by Scarlet Le Clair
16 days left The Rise and Fall of Jane by Corrie Garrett
19 days left The Hunger by Mark Kasniak
19 days left The Unexpected Friendship by Angel Tracy
20 days left I Steal Secrets by Michael Gregory
21 days left The Weight of Madness by Randileigh Kennedy
29 days left Deadline by Jewel Allen

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

GRAB A FREE E-BOOK COPY OF KELPIE CHRISTMAS and KELPIE SNOW TODAY!!! JUST HIT THE COVERS BELOW!

Offline margiebk

• View Profile
    • Marjory Kaptanoglu | Novelist & Screenwriter
« Reply #21566 on: October 14, 2017, 06:53:39 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks again to all of you for your help and support during my Kindle Scout campaign. My ebook, DREADMARROW THIEF, is now live on Amazon. It is FREE from 10/14/17 through 10/18/17. I hope you get a chance to take advantage of the promotion.

A sixteen-year-old girl embarks on a quest to bring back her father from the dead by stealing the most prized magical artifact of the wicked conjurer, Fellstone. "The quest narrative is exciting and compelling... a work of classic fantasy." -The BookLife Prize  https://www.amzn.com/dp/B076BBFYMM

Marjory Kaptanoglu | Website | Goodreads | IMDB | Blog | Facebook

Offline Elle Emery

• View Profile
    • KS Campaign Page
« Reply #21567 on: October 14, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »
your covers are awesome, very professional.

Hey, thanks! The Isle of Jeru went through several, very different, looks. Finally my husband, seeing my frustration, asked me what I saw in my mind and told me to "do it up". I was like, wha?? So I tried and it came out much more abstract than what I had in my head, but I was surprised with what came out, and now I adore it.  ;D 
Do you like magic, mysteries, and munchies? Follow me to The Isle of Jeru.
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1E9UQ8R948CNU

Offline lewg

• Fayetteville, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21568 on: October 14, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
Hi guys! I wish I had read this thread before I submitted my Kindle Scout book.  :P Ah, well. You guys are amazing.

So I have a question. When I got my preview two days ago, I noticed a typo which wasn't on the original document. I asked them to fix it, and got a reply asking me to email them the correct manuscript. Has anyone else asked to update a manuscript, and how long did it take them to fix it?

Here's my KS in case you are curious and would like to check it out/nominate it. :-)

I was hasty when I submitted my manuscript through Kindle Scout back in late August of this year.  After making numerous changes, I contacted Kindle Scout and was told to resubmit my updated manuscript.  The process took about two days and my 5,000 word excerpt was updated as well.

I hired an editor both after my campaign ended and I had received my rejection notice four days later.  In fact, we just had a 3.5 hour-long conversation on the phone this morning regarding all of the editorial changes she had made to my manuscript.  Many of the changes were minor, but having a second set of eyes on my book has made all the difference in the world. 

Lewis P. Gravis

Online Alan Felyk

• Lakewood, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Alan Felyk: Writer
« Reply #21569 on: October 14, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
I just submitted Damaged Beyond All Recognition to Kindle Scout. I had hoped to do it a bit earlier this month to keep it from ending on or around Thanksgiving Day. I guess it depends on how quickly the book moves through the review process and when it's ultimately scheduled.

Offline LG O'Connor

• View Profile
« Reply #21570 on: October 14, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Thank you to everyone who's voted for Surrender My Heart!  I'm refilling my noms now :-)

Offline LG O'Connor

• View Profile
« Reply #21571 on: October 14, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
I never imagined I'd be known as "the pig lady" when I grew up, but strangely I like it and find it endearing, lol.  ;D I think Monday I'll play the "pig card" on FB to get my votes back up. Good luck to those of you in waiting - hopefully you can still enjoy your weekend without thinking too much about it (one can dream, right?!)

Dang, Randi! You know I'll vote for you :-)

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #21572 on: October 14, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

Here's my KS in case you are curious and would like to check it out/nominate it. :-)

I have, it takes 2 business days on average to see the change.

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #21573 on: October 14, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
I joined Goodreads a few days into my campaign. After I created a profile, I sent out about 400 friend requests choosing people according to books they had read. How did I find the friends? I went to similar authors and friended their followers. It took my daughter a whole afternoon! About 250 accepted (more still accepting).
I then sent out individual copy/paste emails asking them to read my excerpt on KindleScout and give me feedback. It's a little spammy to do that, but nobody complained since they had already accepted friend requests. I sent out the message as each friend accepted. Almost everyone responded with input and also nominated without me asking them to. Even those who had iffy comments nominated. Some of the people I spoke to directed me to genre groups to join and I posted there. Not many people responded to group posts, but my Scout campaign links clearly show many visits to my nomination page from those posts.
A couple of the people I messaged are very influential and run large groups. One such group discussed my excerpt and invited their own followers to vote. Group leaders tend to use their influence to reach out to their members, regardless of group rules. One GR author who runs a blog has asked to book-club-read my book when it's published, so her members are subscribing to my mailerlite mailing list after I sent her a link. I have less than 300 Goodreads friends, but my subscriber list is much bigger, so not everyone who wants to read the book has friended me. I think some people like the freedom to speak freely later when rating the book without the "friend" thing hanging over their heads which is fine.
It was all tedious at first, but for a unpublished debut author, I needed to put in some leg work! Besides, my genre is interdictum liber on many promotional sites due to the salacious content, so I didn't. Whatever kind of book you write, there's a group with a following for it on Goodreads.

In summary for Goodreads:
1. Make friends with readers in your genre.
2. Don't ask for votes, ask for feedback.
3. Friend group leaders especially.
4. Post your scout link in forums and groups.

Interesting approach  Wish you luck

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline Jewel Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #21574 on: October 14, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »

I have hired out my covers before, but lately I have done my own. Not just to save cost, but also so I can play around with the design. I also like designing a cover to inspire me as a I write a novel. (By the time I have a fleshed-out cover, it feels silly to hire someone.) Here are some things I have done:

1) Go to http://www.canva.com and scour through the photos. When I like something, I download the watermarked copy, then play around with it using Gimp (a free program like photoshop, though not as many bells and whistles) and finalize the text and design on Publisher. Then I go to a Facebook cover group called 20coversto50k and get feedback. I've had to develop thick skin, but I have really learned a lot that way. If a cover seems like it would work, I buy the photo for a buck and replace it in my mock-up.

2) I also recently bought a pack through Deposit photos. They seem to have a great selection. It was something like $49 for 100. And then I mock it up once again on Publisher.

3) I look at bestselling books in my genre and try to mimic some elements.

Anyway, I recognize that having a professionally done cover is important. So if you can find someone on fiverr who can do a quick turnaround, that might be a good bet for you. But if you like dabbling in design like I do, I say go for it. I have done covers for two of my published novels, "A day in Paris" and "Saffron Summer" (see below) and for my Kindle Scout, "Deadline" (profile pic). When the genre is contemporary romance, I think you can get away with a DIY compared to say, Urban Fantasy or Paranormal.  :)

If you end up doing your own cover and would like some eyes on it, feel free to message me.  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:12:30 PM by Jewel Allen »

Jewel Allen | Website | Facebook