Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1977928 times)  

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fantasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #22600 on: November 13, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
Just a question: how critical are KS when it comes to copy editing? Does it have to be flawless or do they allow for a few slips?? I may or may not have found something detrimental to my submission . . .

Rachel Wollaston | YA/Fantasy author

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Facebook Page | Feathered Launch Party!

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #22601 on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:46 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  Strangely, I had 9 hrs in the hot/trending, then fell off.  I checked today and saw I had 25 hrs in h/t.  So, I guess you CAN make it back into it.

Stressful...I feel like if I am not hot/trending the whole time that it won't happen.
I have to admit some confusion about hot and trending too. My campaign has gone on for 12 days. In the first week, I averaged about 500 pages a day read, with no hot and trending. Yesterday, I had only 200 Page reads, but 24 hours of hot and trending.

In other words, it does seem to be somewhat arbitrary. My main takeaway is not to take the public campaign too seriously. It sounds like the Amazon gods do what they want, irrespective of the stats, so why worry?

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #22602 on: November 13, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
This is the first time I haven't had enough nominations too cover everyone on Steve's list. I nominated Damaged Beyond all Recognition, Cold Solar, and Murder on Perry's Island. Good luck to everyone.

Online Alan Felyk

• Lakewood, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Alan Felyk: Writer
« Reply #22603 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »
This is the first time I haven't had enough nominations too cover everyone on Steve's list. I nominated Damaged Beyond all Recognition, Cold Solar, and Murder on Perry's Island. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks, Michael. Hang in there. From what I can tell, H&T is largely affected by effective advertising. Quality (nominating) page views vs. just looking. It's tough to respread your campaign dollars to cover your 30-day performance chart without spending a sizeable chunk of money.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #22604 on: November 13, 2017, 08:45:01 AM »
Day 9.

Is there anyone else currently in the waiting room on Day 10 or more?

Am I right that it is 15 days max?
Yes, 15 days is the max. There's really no way to tell whether a long wait means anything or not. It may just be that the limited number of editors take time to read through the books. At some point, each book must be up for a decision of some kind, but they won't all be finished at the same time, so perhaps that's why the decisions spread out.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22605 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
Just a question: how critical are KS when it comes to copy editing? Does it have to be flawless or do they allow for a few slips?? I may or may not have found something detrimental to my submission . . .

I don't think they can be too horribly picky, at least not on things like typos, etc., because some of the books they publish have lots of typos, misspelled words, words missing, etc., and that's after they've been edited by KP editors. If it's not in the part of your book that's in the excerpt, I'd fix it and hold onto it. I believe you'll have another chance to send them a new copy if you're selected before they start editing. You can alway contact them and see if they want the corrected copy now. They respond pretty well to email.

Offline RK

• View Profile
« Reply #22606 on: November 13, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  Strangely, I had 9 hrs in the hot/trending, then fell off.  I checked today and saw I had 25 hrs in h/t.  So, I guess you CAN make it back into it.

Stressful...I feel like if I am not hot/trending the whole time that it won't happen.

Just to give you some encouragement, the most recent Scout book to be picked up before Marjorie's great news only had 46 total hours of H&T. My own campaign, which had over 700 H&T hours (virtually H&T the entire campaign) was rejected. So take comfort in the fact that the stats don't matter nearly as much as you think. I understand the pressure (still had it myself the entire time even though I knew better, lol) but try not to sweat it. Flawless campaigns can't save a book that they simply don't want, and conversely, small campaigns with few views and virtually no H&T are still chosen if the book is amazeballs/what they want at the time.  ;D

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22607 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »
I don't think they can be too horribly picky, at least not on things like typos, etc., because some of the books they publish have lots of typos, misspelled words, words missing, etc., and that's after they've been edited by KP editors. If it's not in the part of your book that's in the excerpt, I'd fix it and hold onto it. I believe you'll have another chance to send them a new copy if you're selected before they start editing. You can alway contact them and see if they want the corrected copy now. They respond pretty well to email.
Thank you! Theyre only typos, but now that I know where they are they are pretty glaring! I feel like its a bit late in the campaign now to message them, what with only 6 days to go, so Ill just have to cross my fingers and wait!

YA / Fantasy author

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #22608 on: November 13, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
I have to admit some confusion about hot and trending too. My campaign has gone on for 12 days. In the first week, I averaged about 500 pages a day read, with no hot and trending. Yesterday, I had only 200 Page reads, but 24 hours of hot and trending.

In other words, it does seem to be somewhat arbitrary. My main takeaway is not to take the public campaign too seriously. It sounds like the Amazon gods do what they want, irrespective of the stats, so why worry?

Nominations are cumulative, confirmed by KS. Unless you have a large stack of friends, family , and fans in the early days, or you ads kick in right away to get you on the H&T, it can take a week or more before you can accumulate enough nominations to get onto the H&T list to catch up with others. 5% or less outside page landings doesn't usually do it against 500 internal landings per day. As I've said before, it is outside page reads that are more likely to nominate you as Kindle Scouters usually wait for the end of the campaign to have a better chance of getting a free book.

Once you are on it, it is easier to stay on it even if you drop to 20 page landings a day for a period in the middle, then it should pick up in the last few days.

A lot depends on how many new books behind you are added to increase/decrease the number after taking account of the books coming off  for places available on the H&T. During my campaign the numbers varied from 13/16 on H&T. Right now there are 19 books H&T.

Regardless, as has been said many times and proven. If an editor wants to publish a book, they will, regardless of stats.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:58:41 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #22609 on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
Nominated Vanished. Love police procedurals.
Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22610 on: November 13, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
Nominations are cumulative, confirmed by KS.
Completely cumulative, or cumulative only up to a point?

The reason I ask is that in a completely cumulative model, new books wouldn't stand a chance against people who've been campaigning for 25 days or so. It's hard to see how so many new books would hit H and T in that model. In general, in a cumulative model, you also wouldn't expect to see the mid-campaign sag. What you would see instead would be a gradual build as a book gets near the end of its campaign.

On the other hand, in a model in which nominations are cumulative, but more recent nominations are weighted more, the results we tend to see would make more sense. It would be easier to understand why some new books get into hot and trending, as well as why campaigns tend to sag in the middle. At the same time, it would explain why there is enough data to do H and T 24 hours a day. (It's true the Scouters are from all over the world, but I'd imagine the bulk of them are US and Canada, so when those time zones are mostly asleep, the activity presumably declines a lot.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Sebourn

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
    • MitchSebourn
« Reply #22611 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
My 'campiagn' has cratered.  Last five days averaging only 20 pages views per and zero H&T Going to need the help of this group to climb up to respectability!
Good Luck Dan

Bright side: You're blowing me away!

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #22612 on: November 13, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »
Well, I just received my rejection letter. I would like to express my thanks to all of you for your advice and nominations throughout this process. If I receive any feedback in the coming days, I'll be sure to share it.

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22613 on: November 13, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »
Well, I just received my rejection letter. I would like to express my thanks to all of you for your advice and nominations throughout this process. If I receive any feedback in the coming days, I'll be sure to share it.
So sorry to hear that. I hope you get the feedback. Will you be self-publishing?

YA / Fantasy author

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #22614 on: November 13, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
Don't worry; you will rise rapidly in your final 3 days and definitely H&T on the final 2 days, since there are only 2 of you on the last day.
your book excerpt is interesting; I'm intrigued.  Will nominate during last 2 days since slots are currently occupied by the others on Steve's list.
Good luck!
Thanks Kim.  This is my second campaign ad I have not 'marketed' the campaign.

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #22615 on: November 13, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
Nominated Vanished. Love police procedurals.
Thanks Jill!  Vanished is second in Luca Mystery series, Am I the Killer? was the 1st book but I didn't even know about KS then!

Dan Petrosini | blog

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #22616 on: November 13, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »

The reason I ask is that in a completely cumulative model, new books wouldn't stand a chance against people who've been campaigning for 25 days or so. It's hard to see how so many new books would hit H and T in that model. In general, in a cumulative model, you also wouldn't expect to see the mid-campaign sag. What you would see instead would be a gradual build as a book gets near the end of its campaign.

On the other hand, in a model in which nominations are cumulative, but more recent nominations are weighted more, the results we tend to see would make more sense. It would be easier to understand why some new books get into hot and trending, as well as why campaigns tend to sag in the middle. At the same time, it would explain why there is enough data to do H and T 24 hours a day. (It's true the Scouters are from all over the world, but I'd imagine the bulk of them are US and Canada, so when those time zones are mostly asleep, the activity presumably declines a lot.

Great point Bill.  What would all of us do if Amazon told us the inside scoop?  We'd have nothing to speculate about! Ciao Dan

Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #22617 on: November 13, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »
So sorry to hear that. I hope you get the feedback. Will you be self-publishing?

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I have 5 finished novels I'm holding onto already that I'm not sure what I'll do with, yet. I have had 3 self-published novels already and the reality for me is that I'm just not a marketer. I love to write, but I'm not good with self-promotion or social media, and I don't have a budget that will allow me to hire advertisers to do it for me. If I self-publish it will probably just be a waste of a novel I spent 5 months or more working on, so maybe I'll take another look at the book and then start querying again.

I do have a book that is the second instalment to a trilogy I've been doing. I think I'll self-publish that book soon because I know that no agent will want to look at it knowing that book 1 is already in the marketplace. So, I'll see how that goes, maybe I can formulate a better launch with that book.

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22618 on: November 13, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »

Yes, I was on H and T for a bulk of the day yesterday but my page views were only 168- I had many more than that at the beginning and didn't make it to H and T. Maybe it's easier to get on your last few days (I have 4 days left in my campaign)? Also, there were more pages of H and T yesterday and today than usual.
So confusing!

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22619 on: November 13, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »

Excellent point, Bill. This makes sense from my experience.

Offline corrieg

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • Corrie Garrett
« Reply #22620 on: November 13, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
Excellent point, Bill. This makes sense from my experience.
I would also speculate that, much like the amazon categories, theres a velocity factor to h&t. Which means moving from 0 views to 150 the next day, would net you a higher score than moving from 400 to 550. Definitely not the only variable, but I would bet there is some rate of change help. (Maybe this has all been said before, if so sorry!)

Im sill nominating! Congratulations to Marjorie! Way to go!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:51:21 PM by corrieg »

Corrie Garrett

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22621 on: November 13, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
Yes, I was on H and T for a bulk of the day yesterday but my page views were only 168- I had many more than that at the beginning and didn't make it to H and T. Maybe it's easier to get on your last few days (I have 4 days left in my campaign)? Also, there were more pages of H and T yesterday and today than usual.
So confusing!
I noticed the increase in the number of H & T the other day. I wonder if there are more books in the process right now, or if the number depends on how many titles reach a certain minimum.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22622 on: November 13, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I have 5 finished novels I'm holding onto already that I'm not sure what I'll do with, yet. I have had 3 self-published novels already and the reality for me is that I'm just not a marketer. I love to write, but I'm not good with self-promotion or social media, and I don't have a budget that will allow me to hire advertisers to do it for me. If I self-publish it will probably just be a waste of a novel I spent 5 months or more working on, so maybe I'll take another look at the book and then start querying again.

I do have a book that is the second instalment to a trilogy I've been doing. I think I'll self-publish that book soon because I know that no agent will want to look at it knowing that book 1 is already in the marketplace. So, I'll see how that goes, maybe I can formulate a better launch with that book.
Most of us aren't passionate about marketing. There are a lot of good indie writers who never succeed in the way they should for that very reason.

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22623 on: November 13, 2017, 05:44:28 PM »
For the record, I'm not going to state which of the next books I'm going to nominate since there are 4 books ending on the same day. While on the one hand it's nice to shout out the books you think are worthy, let's not forget there's the possibility of hurting someone else's feelings. We're good writers because we feel intense emotions but we wear our hearts on our sleeves (cliche anyone?). The last thing anyone needs before ENTERING Waiting Room Hell is wounded pride. Let's continue to be supportive and not purposefully bring anyone down!

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22624 on: November 13, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
*Or (not) not purposefully, as the case may be.