KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1590752 times)  

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #22650 on: November 14, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
I saw the email this morning and was completely shocked they passed on this one. The sample was fantastic. Hope you'll share your feedback and let us know when you hit publish!

Thank you. I'll most definitely share my feedback if I receive any. As for publishing, I think I would like to exhaust any and all traditional routes first. I'm poor with marketing and I really need to research an effective launch strategy, so I don't want to rush to publish. Plus, I have a book 2 in a trilogy that I would like to launch first.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #22651 on: November 14, 2017, 08:52:32 AM »
I hate to make definite statements about things I don't really know, but surely it must be a mistake. What would be the purpose of KS violating its own procedures that way? There have been one or two cases of campaigns being terminated, but I think those were instances in which someone was already published, a violation of the rules. In that kind of case, I don't think an author would get a standard rejection letter.

I've just noticed the book Cold Solar is in full on Wattpad. Don't know if that could be the problem? If it is, and we don't know at this stage, then there needs to be some clarity as to what they consider published.

I had mine in full on wattpad prior to starting my campaign and it reached the top 50 in thrillers, and so agonized over this, but before I entered I whitled it down to the same as would be shown on KS. Even so, the way I read the terms that as it was on a writer's site for crit and not for monetary gain, then it was fine to have it on wattpad until offered a contract.

I have all but two of my works in progress on Wattpad.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:01:42 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline sskkoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #22652 on: November 14, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
My friend Anthony, author of Cold Solar, just got his rejection letter from Scout, but his campaign still has two days left! Anyone heard of that ever happening before?? I find it really strange.

Rachel Wollaston | YA/Fantasy author

I also am going to assume this is just an error. If they did this on purpose it really is a self-inflicted wound to K. Scouts integrity.

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #22653 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »
....I'd say my experience fell at the higher end of the middle of those extremes. I'm happy with the results of the last two years and made okay money.

Donna,

A month or so ago, I scanned the winners of the last couple years, doing spot checks of sales ranks, etc. Not even remotely scientific, but your book was one that seemed be doing pretty well.

The vast majority appeared to be stuck at much lower sales ranks, and that was with Amazon selling almost all of them at $.99 or $1.99.

Overall, I concluded that the authors who did well were ones who did fairly well on their own with other books/series.

The book I was thinking of putting in is an odd one. But I also concluded that the universe of successful books in Scout was even narrower than that in KDP.

I hate to sound negative about something many are striving to achieve. But for me at least, I decided it would be better to just put my energy into marketing my book directly.

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #22654 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. I remember when yours came out and I seemed to see the cover everywhere on Amazon.

Your signature link is broken, I assume because you are in the middle of publishing in your own name, so I can't see if you self-published a print book. If so, did being part of the kindle program bring better that anticipated print book sales as an unexpected spin off?

Ooh, thanks for letting me know Decon. The one for Scry Me A River isn't working either. Gots to figure that out.  As for the print version, I didn't see that having a Scout winner was any help.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #22655 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
Ooh, thanks for letting me know Decon. The one for Scry Me A River isn't working either. Gots to figure that out.  As for the print version, I didn't see that having a Scout winner was any help.

I assume that if you have your rights back and you have published in your own name, it will have a different ASSIN number. Probably by just going back into signature maker and altering the ASSIN would likely relove the situation.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

• View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #22656 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »
Donna,

A month or so ago, I scanned the winners of the last couple years, doing spot checks of sales ranks, etc. Not even remotely scientific, but your book was one that seemed be doing pretty well.

The vast majority appeared to be stuck at much lower sales ranks, and that was with Amazon selling almost all of them at $.99 or $1.99.

Thank you, but I suspect my book was doing better because at that time it would have been in the Prime Reads program, which gave a very nice lift whilst Shame was in it. The discounted price promos really don't seem to do much beyond a little flurry of sales in the first few days. I suspect it's because Amazon doesn't promote those sales pages very much and there are often many links a reader has to get through to get to those discounted pages.

Scout is not a magic bullet. The giant Amazon marketing gorilla isn't going to drag every one of its accepted books up the ranks into stardom. That said, I don't regret it at all. By my figures, I came out about the same financially as I would have by merely self-pubbing it. At this time, it makes sense for me to assume control over it and try my own methods of promoting it. 

• View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #22657 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
I assume that if you have your rights back and you have published in your own name, it will have a different ASSIN number. Probably by just going back into signature maker and altering the ASSIN would likely relove the situation.
Yep, I suspect you're right, although it doesn't explain why the 2nd in series link is also broke.

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fanasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22658 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »
I've just noticed the book Cold Solar is in full on Wattpad. Don't know if that could be the problem? If it is, and we don't know at this stage, then there needs to be some clarity as to what they consider published.

I had mine in full on wattpad prior to starting my campaign and it reached the top 50 in thrillers, and so agonized over this, but before I entered I whitled it down to the same as would be shown on KS. Even so, the way I read the terms that as it was on a writer's site for crit and not for monetary gain, then it was fine to have it on wattpad until offered a contract.

I have all but two of my works in progress on Wattpad.
He showed me the letter and all the comments were on editing and proofreading. There was no mention of Wattpad. Ive known authors whove had their submissions on similar sites and have still got selected for publication, so I dont think its really a problem :)

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Nominate Feathered!

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fanasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22659 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:34 AM »
There have been some other strange happenings with the site, toomy phone is only showing me the desktop site and wont let me scroll across.

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Nominate Feathered!

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22660 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
He showed me the letter and all the comments were on editing and proofreading. There was no mention of Wattpad. Ive known authors whove had their submissions on similar sites and have still got selected for publication, so I dont think its really a problem :)

How strange! (nervously checks e-mail). Also, just an another oddity, yesterday 355 was on ending soon (it's got 3 days left) and today's it's not- possibly because there's so many ending today?

I know I said I wasn't going to say which books I nominated, but I have multiple Amazon accounts. I nominated Cold Solar, and it's still listed in my noms. If he got an editorial review, that means he was shortlisted- I would think it would have taken even longer to decide. If they have already prepared rejections by the time the run ends, why do some people have longer waits to find out? I'm so confused! 

I too had 355 on Wattpad but pulled everything except the same preview that's on Scout before I launched.

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22661 on: November 14, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »

Scout is not a magic bullet. The giant Amazon marketing gorilla isn't going to drag every one of its accepted books up the ranks into stardom.

I fully agree based on my experience. I was hoping for a bit more guidance for marketing: blurb help, etc. As I've mentioned, What It Is's sales are pretty dismal. It's short (65, 000 words) so I don't make much money per sale, especially considering I only get one or two buys a month. I figure Amazon might soon ask me to take it back since it'll be a long time before I earn my advance.

After this current run, I might dive more into marketing. The problem is that I've switched genres for 355  and am hoping to make it part of a series.

On a side note, I saw an uptick in sales of my other chick-lit books during What It Is's run at the same time last year. This time, not so much- again, probably because of the genre switch.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #22662 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
I hate to sound negative about something many are striving to achieve. But for me at least, I decided it would be better to just put my energy into marketing my book directly.
It's apparent that Scout winners have extremely varied results. The one thing I will say is that the Scout process gets a book a lot of exposure that can be valuable for a later self pubbed launch. My Scout reject did better than any of my other books--so much better, in fact that about half my royalties to date have come from it, even though it was published about a year ago, and I've been publishing for five years.

I might have given Scout another shot anyway, but after that result, I put a second book in Scout, figuring that even if it wasn't selected, I would end up with another great launch. Of course, if you really don't want to be published by Scout, it wouldn't be worth taking the risk.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22663 on: November 14, 2017, 10:02:56 AM »
Cold Solar is still up on the site and shows two days left. Wouldn't it have been taken down if the Scout folks decided to reject it before the end of the campaign?

Since it got an editorial letter, though, this can't just be a simple error. Apparently, the theory that some people have had that editors started reading the books before the end of the campaign is right. What must have happened is that the rejection and the editorial letter were accidentally sent out too early. I'll bet (or at least hope) that someone catches hell for that.

It's clear some of the automated systems are glitching right now. Not only have the results not updated to include yesterday, but at one point when I tried to refresh, I was told the page didn't exist. (It did eventually turn up again.) That and Kit's book being in ending soon and then out of it again is enough to make me think something is amiss behind the scenes. Whether or not that's connected to the early rejection of Cold Solar I don't know.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline AnthonyRobinson13

• View Profile
« Reply #22664 on: November 14, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Hey guys!

I didn't know Rachel was going to tell you all that, but it's okay, Rachel lol

Yes, I just received a rejection letter from KS and my book Cold Solar still has two days left. I received it in an email with feedback on my book that was actually very thorough and well put together. Sounds like KS is having a myriad mess ups today though. I hope it's just an error and the winner hasn't been decided but they prepare the rejection letters just in case.

And those of you that nominated my book, thank you so much! I'm really hoping it's an error so please keep it nominated!

-Anthony C. Robinson

Offline AnthonyRobinson13

• View Profile
« Reply #22665 on: November 14, 2017, 10:40:44 AM »
I've decided to follow up on this and replied to the rejection letter email by asking if they sent it to me in error and if there was any particular reason they sent it to me before my campaign ended. I'll see if something develops after that.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22666 on: November 14, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »
I've decided to follow up on this and replied to the rejection letter email by asking if they sent it to me in error and if there was any particular reason they sent it to me before my campaign ended. I'll see if something develops after that.
Good idea! That's probably the one way to know for sure what's happening.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22667 on: November 14, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »
Well, the campaign stat finally updated--and I had the lowest page views so far. :'( I'd like to think it was a mistake, but...

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22668 on: November 14, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
Mine were pretty low too- less than a hundred. Yet somehow I stayed on H and T for all 24 hours. Very strange.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22669 on: November 14, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »
Mine were pretty low too- less than a hundred. Yet somehow I stayed on H and T for all 24 hours. Very strange.
Maybe yesterday's stats are inaccurate. :P

I had the same experience, H and T for the whole time and less than a hundred views. I guess everyone's views could have been low for some reason, but with the glitches, it's easy to believe the results are somehow incomplete.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #22670 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
My friend Anthony, author of Cold Solar, just got his rejection letter from Scout, but his campaign still has two days left! Anyone heard of that ever happening before?? I find it really strange.

I've never seen that happen.  It makes me sad.  The last couple of days of a campaign are usually the best, and now it's nothing but "so what?" for your friend.  I hope his book does well anyway.  I love that cover.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #22671 on: November 14, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
Well, the campaign stat finally updated--and I had the lowest page views so far. :'( I'd like to think it was a mistake, but...
Me too.  I only had 45, but spent much of the day on H&T.  Today, not so much.  I fear I've reached my boggy middle bit.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22672 on: November 15, 2017, 03:55:56 AM »
Today the random display of Hot and Trending books on the KS home page are all books from people in this thread. That made me smile. :)

Then I looked at my stats and discovered that I had 0 views yesterday--even though I was Hot and Trending for all 24 hours. (That certainly supports the theory that something is cumulative, doesn't it?)

The general flakiness of the site yesterday makes me wonder about accuracy, though. I'd be more worried if the stats actually determined selection. Still, it does seem odd. I checked some of my ads and could see new clicks to the site. Of course, it's possible the clickers didn't stay long enough to register as a view, and I am in the midcampaign desert. Any regular scouters who wanted to check out the book probably already had.

Well, let's see. A year ago, with far lower views overall, I got 48 on the same day of the campaign. The lowest I ever dropped was to 42.

Very strange! It will be interesting to see if today is more normal.

Offline Sebourn

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
    • MitchSebourn
« Reply #22673 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:40 AM »
Hot and Trending all day with zero views.

Scout needs to get more transparent about how this works... AND get its stuff together.

This is a bit maddening.

Offline Sebourn

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
    • MitchSebourn
« Reply #22674 on: November 15, 2017, 04:53:01 AM »
Today the random display of Hot and Trending books on the KS home page are all books from people in this thread. That made me smile. :)

Then I looked at my stats and discovered that I had 0 views yesterday--even though I was Hot and Trending for all 24 hours. (That certainly supports the theory that something is cumulative, doesn't it?)

The general flakiness of the site yesterday makes me wonder about accuracy, though. I'd be more worried if the stats actually determined selection. Still, it does seem odd. I checked some of my ads and could see new clicks to the site. Of course, it's possible the clickers didn't stay long enough to register as a view, and I am in the midcampaign desert. Any regular scouters who wanted to check out the book probably already had.

Well, let's see. A year ago, with far lower views overall, I got 48 on the same day of the campaign. The lowest I ever dropped was to 42.

Very strange! It will be interesting to see if today is more normal.

Your post makes me feel better. No way two books were hot and trending all that time with zero views between them.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac