Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1979995 times)  

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #22675 on: November 15, 2017, 06:52:49 AM »
Hello, Kindle Scout folks!

Does anyone know if there's a time limit when it comes to letting those people who nominated your failed Kindle Scout book know it's now available on Amazon? I ran a campaign back in May/June and decided to let things sit for a while. Now, I've reworked some of the content, updated the title and cover, and launched the book in the Kindle Store. But when I go back to my Kindle Scout campaign, I don't see an option to notify folks. My guess is it's been too long, but I wanted to confirm that's the case.

Oh--and since the peeps on this board were so kind during that anxiety-laden month, I wanted to let y'all know that the book is available now, and I'm doing a free promotion tomorrow, 11/16. Back in the late spring, the book was called Plunge. Now it's called The Unlikely Intrusion of Adams Klein. If you like young adult, sci-fi, time-travel stories with a bit of silliness, check it out. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GMPYNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510753334&sr=8-1&keywords=the+unlikely+intrusion+of+Adams+Klein

Best of luck to everyone currently campaigning--and I'm glad to see KS has started giving out feedback, at least temporarily!
You can email them and let them know, and they will send it out for you. Congrats on publishing!!

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fantasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22676 on: November 15, 2017, 06:57:27 AM »
Just putting these out there from my failed campaign to show that ads and outside marketing have a big influence on H&T and also that the cumulative effect of your success at marketing for nominations keeps you on there. So to those saying they can't understand why in the early days of 500 or so landing they don't get on H&T, the answer could be in the small % of outside landings from poor marketing efforts.

Note: the first pie chart for the first 8 days shows only 4% outside page landings. No advertising. Contacted a few friends

Note: the second pie chart has increased to 16% outside page landings on the second day of ads, twitter, facebook marketing by the 6th August. In the middle section I only used twitter and a few facebook posts with no paid ads.

Note: by the end of the campaign outside landings have reduced to 14% and the line gragh has increased in line with internal landings from scouters nominating.
I believe that, if they gave us the stats for nominations, wed find much more of a correlation between them and H&T.

Rachel Wollaston | YA/Fantasy author

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Facebook Page | Feathered Launch Party!

Online KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22677 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »

Then I looked at my stats and discovered that I had 0 views yesterday--even though I was Hot and Trending for all 24 hours. (That certainly supports the theory that something is cumulative, doesn't it?)

Me too! Found it to be a bit shocking at first, but now I'm suspecting it's a mistake.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #22678 on: November 15, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »
Hello, Kindle Scout folks!

Does anyone know if there's a time limit when it comes to letting those people who nominated your failed Kindle Scout book know it's now available on Amazon? I ran a campaign back in May/June and decided to let things sit for a while. Now, I've reworked some of the content, updated the title and cover, and launched the book in the Kindle Store. But when I go back to my Kindle Scout campaign, I don't see an option to notify folks. My guess is it's been too long, but I wanted to confirm that's the case.

After 6 weeks, the button on your campaign that notifies readers disappears.  You can contact Scout and they will add the button back, then you have to click it.

You should absolutely do that, but in all honesty, you will probably get little action after so long.  People may not remember your book or why they liked it enough to nominate it.  The title change will also work against you in this instance.

You aren't the first author who has been caught by this.  Sometimes we think a book is ready and submit to Scout only to find there's more work to be done.  It happens.  Scout works best as a help to self publishing if one releases quickly after the campaign ends.  If one waits to submit to other publishers or do an extensive re-write, that button to alert nominators gets less and less effective.

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #22679 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
I also had zero views for yesterday, but in my case that might be accurate! :D

Online Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #22680 on: November 15, 2017, 08:59:11 AM »
Dang it! When I checked my KS stats today, I was all hot and excited to be able to report what I thought was an impossibility--zero page reads but I was hot and trending for 24 hours. But Bill and Seborn beat me to the punch.

Edited to add--it looks like quite a few people beat me to the punch.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:01:40 AM by Arches »

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #22681 on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »
I know next to nothing, but a friend in IT told me they had a huge issue with their servers over the weekend. If it's a widespread thing, perhaps that gobsmacked the Scout server, too.

Just my two cent contribution to the speculation bucket.

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #22682 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
I know next to nothing, but a friend in IT told me they had a huge issue with their servers over the weekend. If it's a widespread thing, perhaps that gobsmacked the Scout server, too.

Just my two cent contribution to the speculation bucket.

They have been hacked a few times in the last two-three months, and their servers have been crashing and other problems. They had a huge sensitive information hack, but only something like 3% of their customers were affected (though, considering how mega huge they are, that still isn't good).

All in all, amazon is pretty constantly getting attacked, and different problems affect different services at different times. In general, when "amazon" has a problem it might not affect every department since they are so separated, but something hitting their services will basically much up EVERYTHING.

My guess is things will sort themselves out in a few days or weeks. I work with databases constantly and know how badly even a small outage can affect a huge network.

Online Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #22683 on: November 15, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »
Woot! My page views went from zero to 400 for yesterday without me lifting a finger. Like Lincoln says, it'll all sort itself out in days or weeks. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the roller coaster.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #22684 on: November 15, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
I went from 97 and 0 to 457 and 330. It was nice of them to bother resetting the stats. I'm guessing it was almost no one's first priority, but they got it done, anyway.

Now that I have accurate stats, let me put in a little plug for Lincoln Cole's Kindle Scout Promotion. I don't remember the exact price, but it's very reasonable, and it produces good results. Now that I have accurate stats, I can say that I jumped over 200 views from the 12th to the 13th and had a nicer day on the 14th than I've been having. I think so far only readper had a larger effect, and that was earlier in the campaign, when the internal Scout audience wasn't as saturated, so it's hard to make an exact comparison.

For those of you just tuning in, as far as low-priced promos are concerned, Author Shout gives you a good boost spread across the whole campaign if you book early (and a nice graphic...and a 20 second video if you order a little pricier package, both of which you can use in your own ads). Melrock also does ad graphics and is therefore good for early in the campaign. To get a midcampaign boost, readper and Lincoln are both good ideas. I'd also add Ripley's Booklist if your book is YA or NA. In Ripley's case, you can follow up with a feature when the books is released and probably get a nice sales boost.

Scout Boost also worked better for me than it did for Lincoln, though it is much pricier than the other options mentioned here.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22685 on: November 15, 2017, 04:00:38 PM »
Just putting these out there from my failed campaign to show that ads and outside marketing have a big influence on H&T and also that the cumulative effect of your success at marketing for nominations keeps you on there. So to those saying they can't understand why in the early days of 500 or so landing they don't get on H&T, the answer could be in the small % of outside landings from poor marketing efforts.

Note: the first pie chart for the first 8 days shows only 4% outside page landings. No advertising. Contacted a few friends

Note: the second pie chart has increased to 16% outside page landings on the second day of ads, twitter, facebook marketing by the 6th August. In the middle section I only used twitter and a few facebook posts with no paid ads.

Note: by the end of the campaign outside landings have reduced to 14% and the line gragh has increased in line with internal landings from scouters nominating.
Good data! I also like your reasoning. You definitely need to advertise to get H & T early on.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #22686 on: November 15, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Hi all,

I've been meaning to write this follow up post but fell down the rabbit hole called life. Just wanted to add some value to this group that has helped me so much by providing my own stats. They are not great, so perhaps it's more evidence that H&T is not the only thing Kindle Scout considers. It's a good thing I write better than I run campaigns!

I had 5.3k views and 147 hours in H&T. As so many others have found, I got views when I was in "new" and "ending soon," otherwise, my views ranged from a low of 15 to a high of 85. As I said, I didn't know much about running a good campaign. I started reading Lincoln's book only after I launched. I did sign up for the two book promotions he recommended, Readper and Author Shout, but I was already in the middle of my campaign when I reached out to them. I appreciate their quick response (both respond on a weekend, and had my campaign up within hours).

One thing I did that was helpful to me in a small way, but might give better results for others: I went through the KS winners and found a book that was like mine in that it was about Haiti. I checked out the reviewers and, for the ones who had their contact email on Amazon, I reached out and asked for their vote. I got a couple of people who did it (and even signed up for my email list, which was a really nice bonus). I also reached out individually to my contacts with personalized emails and FB messages. It was time consuming, and in the end the numbers aren't huge, but it feels like those people are more personally invested in my success.

On the Kindle Press end, I couldn't be more impressed. I got feedback within two days of the end of my campaign--I didn't think they would do that given they will send the manuscript on for editing. The KP editor had really nice things to say, and he also had very particular feedback that showed he read very closely. For example, he questioned whether one of my characters could make it to a location in the time that I had allowed (!) He also suggested I include a map in my front matter, which is an excellent suggestion given that I am writing about a location, Guantanamo, indelibly etched in the American conscious but few of us know much about it beyond the terror camps. My book takes place in 1992, so I constantly have to reinforce to the audience that this was a different GTMO. The editor also had specific feedback down to the font size on my cover (too small) and in some specialized text (too big). I'm in good hands.

Hope this is helpful. Thank you for all your kind words and helpful information. I'm not going anywhere. I continue to vote and cheer everyone on even as I delve into my edits, warm my email list, find an artist to do a map, etc., etc.

Good luck!

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #22687 on: November 15, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
Congrats, Marjorie! I'd like to welcome you to the Kindle Scout Winners Facebook Group - Just FRIEND me on Facebook, and I will welcome you aboard!! https://www.facebook.com/liz.gelboconnor

Thanks, LG. Done.

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Offline 1984Phins

• View Profile
« Reply #22688 on: November 15, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
Day 12 coming to an end.

Maybe the hostess forgot to write down my name.

Offline Sebourn

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
    • MitchSebourn
« Reply #22689 on: November 15, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
I went from 97 and 0 to 457 and 330. It was nice of them to bother resetting the stats. I'm guessing it was almost no one's first priority, but they got it done, anyway.

Now that I have accurate stats, let me put in a little plug for Lincoln Cole's Kindle Scout Promotion. I don't remember the exact price, but it's very reasonable, and it produces good results. Now that I have accurate stats, I can say that I jumped over 200 views from the 12th to the 13th and had a nicer day on the 14th than I've been having. I think so far only readper had a larger effect, and that was earlier in the campaign, when the internal Scout audience wasn't as saturated, so it's hard to make an exact comparison.

For those of you just tuning in, as far as low-priced promos are concerned, Author Shout gives you a good boost spread across the whole campaign if you book early (and a nice graphic...and a 20 second video if you order a little pricier package, both of which you can use in your own ads). Melrock also does ad graphics and is therefore good for early in the campaign. To get a midcampaign boost, readper and Lincoln are both good ideas. I'd also add Ripley's Booklist if your book is YA or NA. In Ripley's case, you can follow up with a feature when the books is released and probably get a nice sales boost.

Scout Boost also worked better for me than it did for Lincoln, though it is much pricier than the other options mentioned here.

Add me to the list of people impressed by Cole's promo.

Offline AlexW

• View Profile
« Reply #22690 on: November 15, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
Just wanted to say hello and thank you all for the interesting posts that everyone shares so freely about how to be successful with a Kindle Scout campaign.
My book, The Man Who Loves Watches, has just started today and I am already enjoying the process:

Good luck to you all!
Alex

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #22691 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
It's Wednesday and I almost forgot to put up the list.

Poppa tired.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Damaged Beyond All Recognition by Alan Felyk
1 day left Cold Solar by Anthony C. Robinson
1 days left The Game Players of Meridien
1 day left Murder On Perrys Island by J. Kevin Earp
2 days left Tall Chimneys by Allie Cresswell
2 days left 355: A Novel by Kit Sergeant
4 days left Vanished by Dan Petrosini
4 days left Feathered by Rachel Wollaston
8 days left Gray's Ghosts by Carey Lewis
8 days left Haunted by the Devil by Bill Hiatt
8 days left Fluidus Rising by Margo Ryerkerk
9 days left Barrier Rip by Brian Delaney
11 days left Crucible Station by Julianne Q. Johnson
11 days left The Gate Run by Elina Vale
15 days left Folklore by Mitch Sebourn
16 days left Forged by Fire by Michael Arches
22 days left VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski
22 days left Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
29 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Online MladenR

• Ecopark, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
  • Founder of http://www.writertowriters.com
    • View Profile
    • Writer To Writers
« Reply #22692 on: November 15, 2017, 09:06:45 PM »
Just nominated:
Damaged Beyond All Recognition by Alan Felyk
The Game Players of Meridien
Murder On Perrys Island by J. Kevin Earp

Good luck to all of you :)

Offline Alan Felyk

• Lakewood, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Alan Felyk: Writer
« Reply #22693 on: November 15, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »
Just nominated:
Damaged Beyond All Recognition by Alan Felyk

Good luck to all of you :)

Thanks for the nomination. It truly is appreciated.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #22694 on: November 16, 2017, 04:47:38 AM »
It's Thursday. I have got the day off and a billion errands to run.

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Damaged Beyond All Recognition by Alan Felyk
LAST DAY LEFT! Cold Solar by Anthony C. Robinson
LAST DAY LEFT! The Game Players of Meridien
LAST DAY LEFT! Murder On Perrys Island by J. Kevin Earp
1 day left Tall Chimneys by Allie Cresswell
1 day left 355: A Novel by Kit Sergeant
3 days left Vanished by Dan Petrosini
3 days left Feathered by Rachel Wollaston
7 days left Gray's Ghosts by Carey Lewis
7 days left Haunted by the Devil by Bill Hiatt
7 days left Fluidus Rising by Margo Ryerkerk
8 days left Barrier Rip by Brian Delaney
10 days left Crucible Station by Julianne Q. Johnson
10 days left The Gate Run by Elina Vale
14 days left Folklore by Mitch Sebourn
15 days left Forged by Fire by Michael Arches
21 days left VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski
21 days left Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
28 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer
28 days left Magna Finesse by T.A. Clark

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Offline TAClark

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Fiction  Telling lies in a socially acceptable manner
« Reply #22695 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:43 AM »
It's Thursday. I have got the day off and a billion errands to run.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Damaged Beyond All Recognition by Alan Felyk
LAST DAY LEFT! Cold Solar by Anthony C. Robinson
LAST DAY LEFT! The Game Players of Meridien
LAST DAY LEFT! Murder On Perrys Island by J. Kevin Earp
1 day left Tall Chimneys by Allie Cresswell
1 day left 355: A Novel by Kit Sergeant
3 days left Vanished by Dan Petrosini
3 days left Feathered by Rachel Wollaston
7 days left Gray's Ghosts by Carey Lewis
7 days left Haunted by the Devil by Bill Hiatt
7 days left Fluidus Rising by Margo Ryerkerk
8 days left Barrier Rip by Brian Delaney
10 days left Crucible Station by Julianne Q. Johnson
10 days left The Gate Run by Elina Vale
14 days left Folklore by Mitch Sebourn
15 days left Forged by Fire by Michael Arches
21 days left VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski
21 days left Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
28 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer

Happy scouting, folks!

Could you please add my book, Magna Finesse, to the list?  The campaign started yesterday. Just 28 days to go. Thanks.

T. A. Cark | Website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22696 on: November 16, 2017, 06:24:23 AM »
Hi all,

I've been meaning to write this follow up post but fell down the rabbit hole called life. Just wanted to add some value to this group that has helped me so much by providing my own stats. They are not great, so perhaps it's more evidence that H&T is not the only thing Kindle Scout considers. It's a good thing I write better than I run campaigns!

I had 5.3k views and 147 hours in H&T. As so many others have found, I got views when I was in "new" and "ending soon," otherwise, my views ranged from a low of 15 to a high of 85. As I said, I didn't know much about running a good campaign. I started reading Lincoln's book only after I launched. I did sign up for the two book promotions he recommended, Readper and Author Shout, but I was already in the middle of my campaign when I reached out to them. I appreciate their quick response (both respond on a weekend, and had my campaign up within hours).

One thing I did that was helpful to me in a small way, but might give better results for others: I went through the KS winners and found a book that was like mine in that it was about Haiti. I checked out the reviewers and, for the ones who had their contact email on Amazon, I reached out and asked for their vote. I got a couple of people who did it (and even signed up for my email list, which was a really nice bonus). I also reached out individually to my contacts with personalized emails and FB messages. It was time consuming, and in the end the numbers aren't huge, but it feels like those people are more personally invested in my success.

On the Kindle Press end, I couldn't be more impressed. I got feedback within two days of the end of my campaign--I didn't think they would do that given they will send the manuscript on for editing. The KP editor had really nice things to say, and he also had very particular feedback that showed he read very closely. For example, he questioned whether one of my characters could make it to a location in the time that I had allowed (!) He also suggested I include a map in my front matter, which is an excellent suggestion given that I am writing about a location, Guantanamo, indelibly etched in the American conscious but few of us know much about it beyond the terror camps. My book takes place in 1992, so I constantly have to reinforce to the audience that this was a different GTMO. The editor also had specific feedback down to the font size on my cover (too small) and in some specialized text (too big). I'm in good hands.

Hope this is helpful. Thank you for all your kind words and helpful information. I'm not going anywhere. I continue to vote and cheer everyone on even as I delve into my edits, warm my email list, find an artist to do a map, etc., etc.

Good luck!
The feedback does sound great.

You're gutsier than I am. I don't mind advertising, but I don't normally approach individuals. I have no doubt that kind of approach would work, though!

I can hardly wait to get your book! ;D

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fantasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22697 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:41 AM »
Thought this might be useful to some of you: I received an email saying that Ingram Spark have a free title setup promotion running until 30th November with the promo code INDIEFRINGE17

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Facebook Page | Feathered Launch Party!

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22698 on: November 16, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »
Thought this might be useful to some of you: I received an email saying that Ingram Spark have a free title setup promotion running until 30th November with the promo code INDIEFRINGE17

Thanks for posting. I am waiting to read the create space proof through & it hasn't arrived, but might be able to use special.

Online Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #22699 on: November 16, 2017, 12:11:35 PM »
Had two slots open and nominated:

Cold Solar by Anthony C. Robinson

Already had Damaged Beyond All Recognition by Alan Felyk in my third slot.

Then signed into my wife's Amazon account and nominated:

Tall Chimneys by Allie Cresswell
A Novel by Kit Sergeant

Best of luck to all six and all those in the KS waiting room!

Mark

My novel A Friend Like Filby on Wattpad:  https://www.wattpad.com/story/109140386-a-friend-like-filby