Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1645603 times)  

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #23050 on: December 06, 2017, 07:09:36 PM »

Sounds like you had some great feedback. Not so sure about the mention of avoiding narrative interruptions in dialogue, only because I do that if I understand correctly what they mean, to mix it up and add action, and doubt I'll change that method.

Could you give an example of narrative interruptions in dialogue?
He didn't give a specific example, but your understanding isn't the same as mine. The advice wasn't a blanket, "Never have them." Rather, he seemed to want me to use fewer of them and make them shorter.

Interestingly, that was one piece of advice I'm not entirely onboard with either, but as I go through the manuscript, I'll be watching to see if there are any that are too interruptive or distracting.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:56:15 AM by Bill Hiatt »

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Roger Eschbacher

• Los Angeles, CA
  • Author, Animation Writer, Life Enjoyer
    • View Profile
    • Roger Eschbacher Books and Other Writing
« Reply #23051 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »
I just got (very thorough feedback).

I, too, was blown away by the thoroughness and quality of my editor's feedback. Great suggestions on improving emotional impact of key scenes, tips on making characters stand out, etc. I think I used the proverbial 99.9% of her suggestions and feel they definitely made the book better than it would have been.
, ,

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #23052 on: December 06, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »
As many of you probably already know, Haunted by the Devil was not selected. For those of you interested in the process, this is another example that would suggest they have little to no effect. 701 hours (98% of the time) in Hot and Trending and 10,414 views would surely have gotten the book selected if that were what mattered.

That said, I'm glad Scout isn't just a popularity contest. The whole program has more credibility if it isn't, and the whole thing would fall victim to click farms if it was. I know what we're doing is recruiting more people for the Amazon ecosystem, but I'm OK with that. That helps everyone get more exposure for their new releases.

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom and support. I'll let you know when the book is available. Right now I'm waiting to see if I get editorial feedback from Scout, and I already have a final proofread from my own editor to go over, so it may be a few days. Since it's already December 6, I'm thinking about releasing right after Christmas. I don't like to wait that long, but I'm worried releasing in the shadow of Christmas isn't a good idea, either.

Two of the three of us who released on November 24 have been rejected, both on the same day. Carey Lewis, whose campaign also finished on that day, is still in review. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Good luck to him and to all the others in the waiting room.

Sadly, today may be a wasted day in terms of writing. My electric company is having a planned outage to update their equipment in the area, so I could be without power most of the day. Sigh!

I was really sorry to get the notification about your book. Your stats are AMAZING! It will make for an impressive launch once you decide to publish. Good luck.

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23053 on: December 07, 2017, 01:42:14 AM »
It's Thursday! I've got a day shift at work today but then Friday and Saturday off. This Friday I will be heading off for a four hour drive down to Shelburne with my wife to meet my Mom and Stepdad for our annual dinner at Sophies Cafe - Home of the Mile High Pie!

Let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski
LAST DAY LEFT! Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
LAST DAY LEFT! Sea Scope by Debbie De Louise
2 days left The Poison People by Alex Makepeace
3 days left Cemetery Babies by S.H. Love
7 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer
7 days left Magna Finesse by T.A. Clark
7 days left Spur by Sophia Jane Farrier
9 days left One More Moon by Ralph Webster
9 days left Spark 211 by Rick Post
14 days left Shadowed by Death by M.A. Adler
16 days left Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English
16 days left Want What You Have by Rishabh Jhol
21 days left Lost In Atlantis by Briton Heitt
21 days left Hotel Murder by Luke Christodoulou
21 days left Burnt by the Flame by Sharon Robards
22 days left Soul Catchers by Carrie Pulkinen
23 days left Hold it Write There by S.A. Krishnan

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Offline KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #23054 on: December 07, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »

Could you give an example of narrative interruptions in dialogue?

Here's my interpretation using a rather simplified example.

"That's my ex-boyfriend over there." Evan was a boyfriend I'd had in college. We were in love and (blah blah blah).

"Oh no, are you guys still friends?" George asked.

It's using a piece of dialog to explain something in the story, which then throws the conversation off.  I tend to use it in short stints rather than have a paragraph explaining Evan's importance somewhere else.

Re-reading it, if that's what they are indeed referring to, I suppose you could use the conversation itself to establish Evan's importance instead of putting it as an explanation. Just my two cents!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:28:54 AM by KitSarge »

Offline James Musgrave

• View Profile
« Reply #23055 on: December 07, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
This is my first venture into the Kindle Scout foray.  I've read a lot, and I've done my due diligence.  This thread is fantastic.  I'll keep you people posted on how well my tome does.  With that in mind, I wouldn't mind a few "hugs" in the way of nominations if you find the time and find my book worthy.  My wife, Ellen Anita, love of my life, passed on 9/3/17 from the horrid disease of Lewy Body Dementia.  Robin Williams had it.  I will be visiting her grave to give her the news if my book gets published at Amazon Press.  Either way, I'm giving readers a free copy of the eBook.

Help Clara gain her rightful position as San Francisco's best lawyer and detective in 1884.  Get a free copy of the book too!  https://tinyurl.com/yaggyxm6

Reading is not for cowards.
Jim Musgrave | Personal Blog | Series Website | Business Website | Facebook | Google+

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #23056 on: December 07, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
I just heard it's a no on my Crucible Station, but I got some very useful feedback about the book.  The editor thinks i would be improved by adding more of a bad guy, and it's a good point.  I tend to pit my characters against situations and societies more than having a specific antagonist.  It's an interesting situation in both first person and close third, and I haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

Anyways, that's it for me for a while.  Good luck to those in the waiting room, and I'll keep stopping in to nominate.

Online Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #23057 on: December 07, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
Well, Forged by Fire got shot down. The same email telling me that fact included a page or two of specific comments, which will be very helpful to me but probably won't mean much to someone who hasn't read the book.

There were several general themes that I can share, however, that might prove useful to others. The main one was that the editor mentioned specific places where the characters reacted in a way that didn't seem realistic. In addition, the editor thought I went too far out of my way to avoid word repetition, particularly with regard to names. He also didn't like the inconsistent use of profanity in the story. In addition, there were places where I should've shown more and told less. Finally, he liked the cover, but he thought the main character looked too young. In the book he is described as mid-twenties, but looks younger.

My first reaction in reading the letter was, that's all? It'll probably take me a few hours to address these issues. Upon reflection, though, I have to assume that these were simply examples of more widespread problems, although the email doesn't say that. Rather than being a developmental edit, the comments seem to be more along the lines of, here's what really jumped out at me while I was reading. I hope it helps.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my Scout campaign, and the next time I have a first in series book, I will seriously consider campaigning again. It was a lot of fun to interact on this thread, and their editorial comments will be very helpful to me in finalizing the book for self-publishing. Plus, I had the chance to show my cover and blurb to over seven thousand people.
It's all for the best in the best of all possible worlds. Forged by Fire will be better because of Scout.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:36:42 PM by Arches »

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #23058 on: December 07, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
Had two slots open and nominated:

Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
Sea Scope by Debbie De Louise

Already had VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski in my third slot.

Best of luck to all three!

Mark

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #23059 on: December 07, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »
Hello Gang,

Wanted to let everyone know that my KS submission, Vanished, is live on Amazon

Doing a Pre-order till release on 12/26.  OFFERING FREE copy of Am I the Killer? to anyone who gets the pre-order.

https://www.amazon.com/Vanished-Luca-Mystery-Book-2-ebook/dp/B077YSPN61/ref=sr_1_43?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1512661330&sr=1-43&keywords=vanished

Thanks and good luck to all! Dan

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #23060 on: December 07, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »
So far, I'm thinking right after Christmas. As I said, I don't like to wait that long, but it will probably take at least a little time to go over the manuscript, and I think popping up right before Christmas is probably worse than waiting. Generally, it's better to publish ASAP to keep the Scout momentum, but I'm hoping I'll get at least some of that, plus the January "I have a new Kindle, what can I put on it" frenzy.

The one thing I could have done better in campaign terms was to wait until early December instead of launching in late October. That way the campaign would have ended in January, and I could have launched as soon as I was ready without worrying about holiday complications. Live and learn!

Bill,  Sorry to hear but what a campaign you ran!  With that type of focus your launch will be successful.  Go get 'em! Dan

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #23061 on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »
Hello Everyone- I am new to this site and new to this forum. I just hit the SUBMIT button for my first try at the Kindle Scout competition. I'm the author of over 50 books, most of them adult contemporary romance. This is my first novel in a completely new genre (YA sci-fi romance) so I thought I'd try something different to promote it. That's why I'm here!  :D
I've been reading the previous posts in the forum. Lots of good information!
I'll let you all know if/when they approve me for the Scout competition and I have my campaign page.
I'm nervous and excited. 
Any advice is greatly appreciated. It's great to be here!
Karen

Welcome!

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #23062 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »
I've got a friend whose book went out yesterday and has hit the Hot & Trending list organically without any marketing whatsoever.

We have been talking about the figures some of you guys are getting in pages views, which makes me wonder how many nominations a book would need to get on that list? or if is it page views that get people on the list?

Here's an answer to the same question from Lincoln Cole, one of our past winners and someone who has spent a lot of time sharing about the entire process (literally writing the book on submitting to Kindle Scout):

One of the most successful books I've seen in a while came from someone who had a large audiences for his dark horror books. He got over 23,000 page views during his campaign and his book launched with over 100 early reviews plus a lot of interest. Bringing your own audience can do nothing except help your book thrive, but it isn't necessary and they won't pick you strictly based on your audience. My audience when they selected Raven's Peak was like 200 people...Now that my audience is over 15,000 people and the campaign got 12,000 page views (3 times the first campaign) they turned down my latest offering.

I've written quite a bit analyzing page views on my blog and guidebook, and suffice to say it constantly changes and means very little. We have no way of knowing how sophisticated Amazon is in their analysis of views, nor what factors matter to them, so in general it's all up in the air. Hot & Trending is your key that your book is in the top 20 out of all of the current books on kindle scout, but page views is just your guide to how much traffic is seeing your book with no reference.

One month, 100 page views a day might be average, and the next month 600 page views a day might be average. But there is no way to track this outside of their internal network, so it isn't worth worrying about too much. That's why H&T is talked about more, because it is partially measurable (are you in the top 20 books, or are you down in 'the rest') and you can use it to gauge how well your efforts are paying off. It is also added visibility your book doesn't normally get, and the books in hot and trending get a lot more traffic and nominations from people who browse because they are so prominent, so there is added incentive to getting on the list.

Keep in mind, this ISN'T the lottery: you will be judged solely on whether or not the editor who sees your book likes it, whether or not it is a genre they are currently looking for, whether or not they feel they can promote it, AND finally whether or not you ran a good campaign. If the editor likes it and it fits their current needs, it will get picked whether or not you have an audience or ran an astounding campaign. Likewise, it can be an amazing book and you might have a humungous audience, but if it isn't something they are looking for or that editor just happens to dislike something about the book, it can get turned down.

There are plenty of success stories from kindle scout books that got turned away and then went on to do very well, as well as kindle scout books that got accepted and went on to do terrible, to prove that human error plays a HUGE part in their selection process.

TLDR: try not to worry about it. H&T doesn't matter too much, views don't matter too much...did you write the best book you could, did you prepare it as much as you could, and will your world end if you don't get picked? Hopefully, your answers are yes, yes, and no, and then no matter what happens you'll be ready to publish your hard work as soon as the campaign ends.

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Offline srobards

• View Profile
« Reply #23063 on: December 07, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
jaxonreed --- thank you

Sharon Robards | Goodreads

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23064 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:22 AM »
It's Friday. I've got the day off and a road trip planned.

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left The Poison People by Alex Makepeace
2 days left Cemetery Babies by S.H. Love
3 days left The True Archer by Evelynn Moore
6 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer
6 days left Magna Finesse by T.A. Clark
6 days left Spur by Sophia Jane Farrier
8 days left One More Moon by Ralph Webster
8 days left Spark 211 by Rick Post
13 days left Shadowed by Death by M.A. Adler
15 days left Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English
15 days left Want What You Have by Rishabh Jhol
20 days left Lost In Atlantis by Briton Heitt
20 days left Hotel Murder by Luke Christodoulou
20 days left Burnt by the Flame by Sharon Robards
21 days left Soul Catchers by Carrie Pulkinen
22 days left Hold it Write There by S.A. Krishnan
29 days left Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Offline E.M.Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #23065 on: December 08, 2017, 01:27:17 AM »
My scout campaign ended 28.11. and I still haven't heard anything from the Scout team.  :-X Is it normal that it takes this long?
I guess it's a bad sign. LOL. :D Maybe it means they have a LOT to say to me. I'm anxious (and a bit worried) to get my editorial report, though.

Offline EvelynnM

• New Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #23066 on: December 08, 2017, 05:29:25 AM »
It's Thursday! I've got a day shift at work today but then Friday and Saturday off. This Friday I will be heading off for a four hour drive down to Shelburne with my wife to meet my Mom and Stepdad for our annual dinner at Sophies Cafe - Home of the Mile High Pie!

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski

Hi, Can you add my book to this list? https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2ZQ8POO8WR8Z9 The True Archer only has 4 days left!
Thanks!
LAST DAY LEFT! Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
LAST DAY LEFT! Sea Scope by Debbie De Louise
2 days left The Poison People by Alex Makepeace
3 days left Cemetery Babies by S.H. Love
7 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer
7 days left Magna Finesse by T.A. Clark
7 days left Spur by Sophia Jane Farrier
9 days left One More Moon by Ralph Webster
9 days left Spark 211 by Rick Post
14 days left Shadowed by Death by M.A. Adler
16 days left Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English
16 days left Want What You Have by Rishabh Jhol
21 days left Lost In Atlantis by Briton Heitt
21 days left Hotel Murder by Luke Christodoulou
21 days left Burnt by the Flame by Sharon Robards
22 days left Soul Catchers by Carrie Pulkinen
23 days left Hold it Write There by S.A. Krishnan

Happy scouting, folks!
Facebook--https://www.facebook.com/emwritestuff/

Offline Heittwriter

• Check out LIA on Kindle Scout!
    • View Profile
    • Heitt, Writer
« Reply #23067 on: December 08, 2017, 05:52:16 AM »
Here's an answer to the same question from Lincoln Cole, one of our past winners and someone who has spent a lot of time sharing about the entire process (literally writing the book on submitting to Kindle Scout):

Thanks, Jaxon.

I'm assuming it's page views that get a book on H&T. I can't imagine it being nominations. I've had quite a few personal friends nominate lately, and it's still not moving my book. However, my page numbers have been low since it's been buried below H&T as of two days ago.

My guess is those paying for advertising are on the H&T because of page views, because I can't imagine everyone visiting the book's page clicking nominate and going through the process unless they REALLY like whatever part of the excerpt they read.

Offline KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
  • Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer
    • View Profile
    • Romantic mystery and suspense writer
« Reply #23068 on: December 08, 2017, 05:54:09 AM »
Thank you, jaxonreed, for welcoming me to the group. I appreciate it!
My campaign page for Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter just went live this morning. I'm excited and nervous.
Now that I have the live link, I'm setting up my paid promotions.
I'm most active on FB, so that's where I'll be spending the majority of my time promoting the campaign.
I'm going to wait on promoting to my mailing list until next week.
If you'd like to check out my campaign page, I'd appreciate the support.
Thank you so much!
Add a little mystery to your life!
Karen M. Bryson
Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23069 on: December 08, 2017, 07:07:07 AM »
My scout campaign ended 28.11. and I still haven't heard anything from the Scout team.  :-X Is it normal that it takes this long?
I guess it's a bad sign. LOL. :D Maybe it means they have a LOT to say to me. I'm anxious (and a bit worried) to get my editorial report, though.
For all we know, it could be a good sign. There's absolutely no way of telling.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #23070 on: December 08, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »
Thanks, Jaxon.

I'm assuming it's page views that get a book on H&T. I can't imagine it being nominations. I've had quite a few personal friends nominate lately, and it's still not moving my book. However, my page numbers have been low since it's been buried below H&T as of two days ago.

My guess is those paying for advertising are on the H&T because of page views, because I can't imagine everyone visiting the book's page clicking nominate and going through the process unless they REALLY like whatever part of the excerpt they read.

This is what the KS FAQ ( https://kindlescout.amazon.com/help?topic=campaign ) says:

How does a book become "Hot & Trending"?
Hot & Trending is based on nominations and saves by Kindle Scout readers. We update the list hourly.

(That said, I'm in the "H&T and paid promotion have little to no effect on selection" camp.  :) )

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:18:00 AM by Patricia KC »

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #23071 on: December 08, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »
Thanks, Jaxon.

It would be a couple of ways:

It could be page views
It could be nominations
It could be saves
It could be page views vs nominations (determining what percent of people who click your book actually nominate it...if 5,000 people click and only 2 people nominate that could actually be a huge mark against you even though your page count is ridiculously high)

Most likely, it is some algorithmic determination of statistics based on analyzing your page count vs all other books at that time, your saves vs all other books at that time, your nominations vs all other books at that time, your history of time spent on hot and trending (with diminishing return over time factored in), and your page views vs nomination percentage vs all other books at that time.

We don't know how sophisticated, complicated, or obfuscated their algorithm is...what we do know is that just clicking nominate/unnominate/nominate/unnominate over and over again will not help your book (and could hurt it) unlike how the program worked during launch. (I wish I was kidding, but the best way to get and stay on hot and trending used to be just to keep spam nominating yourself...don't do that now, though, lol).

In practice, what all of this means are three things:

Getting more page views, nominations, and saves WILL contribute to you getting on hot and trending. We don't know the exact relationship, but it is likely all of these factors play a positive role.

Finding real readers IS superior to just getting clicks. Amazon knows how often people are browsing your page. If your average visitor spends 3 minutes on your page and 1 minute on a competitor's page, then they can easily conclude your content is superior. It's also how google ranks SEO, though in this case everyone works from the same basic structure which makes this even more important. Having perfect and attractive content is a MUST.

Getting onto hot and trending is hard (since there is are huge benefits of being on hot and trending regarding increased page counts and nominations as well as time spent in hot and trending being a factor in the algorithm) but staying there isn't nearly as hard.

-------

Getting nominations works similar to the kickstarter philosophy for getting backers. The bandwagon effect: people want to throw their lot in with a winner. This is why people universally support campaigns on hot and trending over other books (after all, if a book isn't on hot and trending, what do those other readers KNOW about the book that keeps the book from being popular?). Your goal is to make your book look like a success, which means micro targeting your committed audience to put your book on hot and trending as well as having a perfect 'hooky' excerpt, cover, and blurb. If everything falls perfectly in line you can easily get on and stay on hot and trending.

HOWEVER...

...just like everyone knows, being popular in high school IS NOT AN INDICATOR of future success, which is why the books that run the best campaigns do not always get picked, and books that run terrible campaigns sometimes do. Being popular and having a leg up might contribute to getting a scholarship to the best schools, but after that you have to stand on your own two feet.

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My Kindle Scout Campaign
« Reply #23072 on: December 08, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »
I just heard it's a no on my Crucible Station, but I got some very useful feedback about the book.  The editor thinks i would be improved by adding more of a bad guy, and it's a good point.  I tend to pit my characters against situations and societies more than having a specific antagonist.  It's an interesting situation in both first person and close third, and I haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

Anyways, that's it for me for a while.  Good luck to those in the waiting room, and I'll keep stopping in to nominate.

Take the criticism on board - but in the end it's your writing Julienne. Situational comedy (Sit-com) has been a great money spinner on television. Social comedy shot Jane Austen and Oscar Wilde to the top.

Specific bad guys are hard to characterise. The best I can think of are Iargo in Shakespeare's Othello, James Carker in Dicken's Dombey and Son and Uriah Heep in Great Expectations.
[https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y][/url]
New Campaign https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/112AYBO4QPZ9Y

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23073 on: December 08, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »

You mean you're not immediately starting another campaign? I've gotten so used to your constant presence.

It sounds as if some of the editors are less interested in a more literary model (where there is less likely to be a single, human antagonist) and more looking for an action-movie kind of perspective. I can see the wisdom of that in terms of sales, but I've read and enjoyed enough books that didn't fit that mold that I hope Amazon picks something like that every so often.

On a procedural note, I notice my nomination page isn't updated. You and Arches are both still listed as in review. I guess the KDP dashboard isn't the only thing having trouble right now.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23074 on: December 08, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
We don't know how sophisticated, complicated, or obfuscated their algorithm is...what we do know is that just clicking nominate/unnominate/nominate/unnominate over and over again will not help your book (and could hurt it) unlike how the program worked during launch. (I wish I was kidding, but the best way to get and stay on hot and trending used to be just to keep spam nominating yourself...don't do that now, though, lol).
Do you suppose that's one of the reasons the stats make so little difference now? I think I remember someone some months back also saying the early Scout process was attacked by click farms. Could it be KS intended to pay a little more attention to stats and then got an ugly reminder of just how much stats can be manipulated?