Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2065291 times)  

Offline Debralynn

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #23575 on: January 05, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
Whoever recommended Just Kindle Books, thank you so much! I really appreciate the tip. Best of luck to you as well.

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23576 on: January 05, 2018, 10:34:04 AM »
Whoever recommended Just Kindle Books, thank you so much! I really appreciate the tip. Best of luck to you as well.

I posted that it had worked for me yesterday I think, but I heard about it from someone else on here. This thread is a great resource.

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23577 on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
Hi everyone: I've finally spent enough on Amazon.com to write reviews and am feeling the flush of power. (Remember I'm in Australia so this was spent in a foreign currency for me.) So far, I'm being short and to the point. I've also read other reviews, and I'm amazed at how MEAN some reviewers are. To actually say, as some do, that they got the book free through Scout and then complain it's not their type of thing & worse... I try to bear in mind that even if a book isn't my particular fave, other people like that genre etc. and not ruin it for them.

Bemy, I read one of yours yesterday, look for a review next time I log into Amazon.

Offline Peter Stein

• View Profile
« Reply #23578 on: January 05, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »
... I'm amazed at how MEAN some reviewers are...

I think writing a review is difficult. I have had real positive and real negative. When it is positive you eat it all like candy. When it is negative I try to take the Stephen King approach, you need some numbers before you take it seriously. One (1) bad review could be just the reviewer having a bad day. If there are several reviewers pointing at the same thing a revision is probably called for. Still, there is no need to be mean.

Getting back to the item at hand: Kindle Scout, how is it going folks? I've spent a couple of days gathering data about this program and I think that being selected probably is a really good quality stamp for the book. Not being selected doesn't necessarily mean the opposite. A few writers that wasn't selected view it as a marketing effort of sorts. I believe that is a good point. I mean, just being on the program gives your book a huge exposure and attention and that can't hurt can it?

Regards,

Peter

Offline joantune

• View Profile
« Reply #23579 on: January 05, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »
I have one book "The Thief's Son. For me, it's like flying in the dark. We can see how many visualizations but not nominations. Not sure what turn a book into hot. My book had 1k visualizations in 4 days. If you like to take a look this is link https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/9Q00T66Y0GZD

Offline KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
  • Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer
    • View Profile
    • Romantic mystery and suspense writer
« Reply #23580 on: January 05, 2018, 02:13:41 PM »
Getting back to the item at hand: Kindle Scout, how is it going folks? I've spent a couple of days gathering data about this program and I think that being selected probably is a really good quality stamp for the book. Not being selected doesn't necessarily mean the opposite. A few writers that wasn't selected view it as a marketing effort of sorts. I believe that is a good point. I mean, just being on the program gives your book a huge exposure and attention and that can't hurt can it?

I've had nearly 8 thousand page views. That's a tremendous amount of visibility that would have been difficult (and expensive) for me to get on my own. That's a huge benefit of being in the program, whether your book is selected or not. It provides an opportunity for exposure and pre-release marketing of the work.
Add a little mystery to your life!
Karen M. Bryson
Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23581 on: January 05, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »
I've spent a couple of days gathering data about this program and I think that being selected probably is a really good quality stamp for the book. Not being selected doesn't necessarily mean the opposite.

From what I have read of their selections, getting selected means you fulfilled their criterion of producing a marketable compact read. (They define a book as 50,000 words. That length probably goes well on an e-reader. Thirty years ago, a book was defined as 100,000 words, and less as a novelette, unless it was a children's story.)

Not getting selected might mean your story was too long, too complex, too literary or culturally obscure. It could also mean the work requires a few too many tweaks and re-writes. Although you never really know what people thought, I still think it is a good way of interacting with potential readers.

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23582 on: January 05, 2018, 04:51:08 PM »
Yes, I'm doing FB ads - playing with 2-3 days campaigns with various budgets and target audiences.

A word of caution: don't set a large budget ad late at night planning to run it for a couple of hours and then stop.
You may wake up in the morning with a "marketing hangover": the promotion still up and running and a very hefty PayPal bill. Ouch.

(This is not my first busted start-up, I thought I should know better by now. ;) Live and learn.)

It doesn't help to get on H&T though, but if you are already there, it can help towards total views.
And it's the only thing you can micromanage, unlike KS views or social network support from friends and family.

I do not have a mail list yet - this is my first book - but I did set aside a budget to promote HARVIE as a series brand. I am aiming at 10K views by the end of the campaign - this should give me a good set of raw data to crunch, regardless of the outcome.

Yeah, my first facebook ad for this wasn't working well with cpc over 2$ per, so I stopped it. Set up another one using power editor with already an editing change, but the one approved now is the one I'm going with. Imagine the account managers at fb are shaking their heads. I don't have any stats yet as first day for "The Ancient Tripod of Peace."

I write part time and lengthy time (almost 6 years) between ready with a second after a first novel, so don't have big mail list either. Probably over-thinking it, but hoping to put best foot forward with the campaign. Of the seven new ones listed today, only the one with "sex" in the tagline is trending hot, but that's not really in my storyline, lol. 

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
    • "The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
« Reply #23583 on: January 05, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »
Yeah, my first facebook ad for this wasn't working well with cpc over 2$ per, so I stopped it. Set up another one using power editor with already an editing change, but the one approved now is the one I'm going with. Imagine the account managers at fb are shaking their heads. I don't have any stats yet as first day for "The Ancient Tripod of Peace."

The stats will be there soon.
I also panicked when I didn't see them at midnight. They came 4 hours later. They are always updated at about quarter past 4 am EST.

I'm now working on different strategies of minimizing cpc. Still, you'd probably be  looking at 0.30 min in US market. FB gives me an uplift of ca 150 views per day, but as I've said, those views don't necessarily mean nominations.

Right now I stand at 7K views with 9 days to go.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:54:34 PM by sceptique »
Kindle Scout campaign -
"The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3S650OYOVGEFS

Offline Kristilane

• View Profile
« Reply #23584 on: January 05, 2018, 11:00:08 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'm Kristi. I literally just wrote my first book. I have never written before and I don't expect my book to be picked. I have been reading up on Kindle and the process which honestly, seemed fairly simple at the end of my Nano experience. I, with the help of a friend, edited the book and I did all the cover art. I don't want to put money into something when honestly, I don't know if it is any good. I would love honest feedback and experience in the processes which accompanies all of this. I have had the ideas for this book for over twenty years, just never the time or ambition to write it. I don't think I will pick up writing as a full-time job but as a hobby. I have loved the experiences I have gotten from all of this. In the same, you can't help but hope for the best. I am now going to spend time reading over this long, long message board. Thank you so much.

Offline KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23585 on: January 06, 2018, 04:26:46 AM »
Hi, everyone. I'm Kristi. I literally just wrote my first book. I have never written before and I don't expect my book to be picked. I have been reading up on Kindle and the process which honestly, seemed fairly simple at the end of my Nano experience. I, with the help of a friend, edited the book and I did all the cover art. I don't want to put money into something when honestly, I don't know if it is any good. I would love honest feedback and experience in the processes which accompanies all of this. I have had the ideas for this book for over twenty years, just never the time or ambition to write it. I don't think I will pick up writing as a full-time job but as a hobby. I have loved the experiences I have gotten from all of this. In the same, you can't help but hope for the best. I am now going to spend time reading over this long, long message board. Thank you so much.

Hi Kristi- Welcome to the group! You are just starting your campaign and mine is ending today! It's been a wild month, and the process has been exciting, but I'm glad it is coming to an end. I don't think my nerves could take much more! (It's become a bit of an obsession.) I'm sure my husband is glad the campaign is closing too. He's been checking the "Hot and Trending" list almost as compulsively as I have!  :)
Karen M. Bryson

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
    • Brigitta Moon's Website
« Reply #23586 on: January 06, 2018, 05:12:04 AM »
Hi! I just thought I'd check in with an update for those who are interested or curious about the timeline.

SOUL CATCHERS was selected for Kindle Scout shortly before midnight on December 31st. My campaign ended at midnight on the 29th, so I'm assuming my book was read before the campaign ended.

I received my edit letter on January 2nd, and I have 30 days to send them my revised manuscript. Other than changing my main character's name (which makes me really sad, but I understand their reasoning), there's nothing major that needs revising. They mostly want me to expand on my setting descriptions and world building. No plot changes required, thank goodness!

So, that's where I'm at in the process! Thanks again to everyone who nominated me and for all the insight!

That is an awesome start to a new year. Thanks for sharing your timeline. I have wondered about the process. Congratulations. Great work.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23587 on: January 06, 2018, 05:32:46 AM »
It's Saturday and the sun is shining outside. It is colder than a coal miner's chillblains but I have fed my crows and taken out the garbage and I am just getting set to get some writing done. The storm has passed as all storms do.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson
LAST DAY LEFT! Deadly Pyre by Betty Kuffel
5 days left Joan the Made by Kristen Pham
5 days left The Last Generation by Lee Isserow
6 days left Midnight Talk by Brigitta Moon
8 days left The Commander's Daughter by Colin Moerdyke
8 days left Grak - Gnomercy by Joseph J. Bailey
12 days left Aaron and Me, Works in Progress by Debralynn Fein
13 days left Fighting to Win by Sadie Riley
15 days left Cutie by Peter Stein
19 days left An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
21 days left Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
21 days left Knight School by Robert G. Culp
21 days left The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
22 days left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
26 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
27 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
28 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
28 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23588 on: January 06, 2018, 05:39:26 AM »
The stats will be there soon.
I also panicked when I didn't see them at midnight. They came 4 hours later. They are always updated at about quarter past 4 am EST.

I'm now working on different strategies of minimizing cpc. Still, you'd probably be  looking at 0.30 min in US market. FB gives me an uplift of ca 150 views per day, but as I've said, those views don't necessarily mean nominations.

Right now I stand at 7K views with 9 days to go.

Thanks. Yes, stats populated after 4:30 AM EST. That seems to be one piece of missing information in the program's orientation, but it works now.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #23589 on: January 06, 2018, 06:00:41 AM »
I try to bear in mind that even if a book isn't my particular fave, other people like that genre etc. and not ruin it for them.
In an ideal world, all reviewers would refrain from bashing a book just because it's not in a genre they like. I've read some reviews that are really reviews of genre rather than the specifics of the book itself.

When I review something from a genre I'm not as interested in, I try to think about the quality of writing rather than whether I like the genre or not. The only exception, though I've not run into this yet, might be a book presented in a way that suggested it was one genre when it was really another. A reader should be able to tell fairly easily what they're getting into.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #23590 on: January 06, 2018, 06:09:53 AM »
It's hard to make writing a career. Only a very small number of writers managed to do that. Even many traditionally published writers can't pull that off anymore. It's good you have realistic expectations. That said, I might recommend a little more self-confidence. When you say, "I don't know if it is any good," is that really the case? Or do you mean you aren't sure how readers will react to it? That's a somewhat different question.

We aren't all literary geniuses, and our works aren't all masterpieces, but one has to have a certain amount of faith in one's work to succeed, even as a hobbyist. Writers want to tell a story--but they also want to have an audience. It's not much fun to put that story out there and have nobody read it. However, to keep putting material out there requires the feeling that the story is a good one. How else could an author actually charge people to read it? :)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23591 on: January 06, 2018, 06:43:49 AM »
It's Saturday and the sun is shining outside. It is colder than a coal miner's chillblains but I have fed my crows and taken out the garbage and I am just getting set to get some writing done. The storm has passed as all storms do.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson
LAST DAY LEFT! Deadly Pyre by Betty Kuffel
5 days left Joan the Made by Kristen Pham
5 days left The Last Generation by Lee Isserow
6 days left Midnight Talk by Brigitta Moon
8 days left The Commander's Daughter by Colin Moerdyke
8 days left Grak - Gnomercy by Joseph J. Bailey
12 days left Aaron and Me, Works in Progress by Debralynn Fein
13 days left Fighting to Win by Sadie Riley
15 days left Cutie by Peter Stein
19 days left An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
21 days left Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
21 days left Knight School by Robert G. Culp
21 days left The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
22 days left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
26 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
28 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

I have nominated both Last Days. Good Luck!

Offline KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23592 on: January 06, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
I have nominated both Last Days. Good Luck!

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!
Karen M. Bryson

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #23593 on: January 06, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »
Had two slots open and nominated:

Deadly Pyre by Betty Kuffel
Joan the Made by Kristen Pham

Already had Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson in my third slot.

Good luck to all three!

Mark

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23594 on: January 06, 2018, 06:52:21 AM »
You're welcome. I'm hoping to receive the email congratulating me on my winning book choice :)

Offline KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23595 on: January 06, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
Had two slots open and nominated:

Deadly Pyre by Betty Kuffel
Joan the Made by Kristen Pham

Already had Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson in my third slot.

Good luck to all three!

Mark

Thank you so much, Mark! I appreciate your support!
Karen M. Bryson

Offline georgiana89

• London
    • View Profile
    • My website and blog
« Reply #23596 on: January 06, 2018, 07:30:13 AM »
Hi there, sorry to make my first post a request for a nomination, but somehow (despite having three self-published books) I've only just discovered the wonders of this website. I'm hoping to make more use of it now I'm here, but right now, all I can think about is my Kindle Scout campaign.  ;)

If anyone is willing to take a look - or better yet, give a nomination - I'd be hugely appreciative. https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2EIVFGDYBQ4EU

It's called My Love is Vengeance and is a dark YA Fantasy.

Torn between forbidden love or brutal revenge...

Once, Tara dreamed of being the power behind the throne. Now, she plots revenge on the charismatic young duke who killed her twin brother, while trying not to fall for his charms or give in to her dark side by destroying his innocent family. MY LOVE IS VENGEANCE combines the political scheming of RED QUEEN with the deadly romance of THE GRISHA and the dark, anti-heroine protagonist of THE YOUNG ELITES.

And while I'm getting all of my self-promotion out of my system, just in case anyone's interested, my existing novels (which I've not really done anything with in quite some time) can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Blood-Cavaliers-vampire-romance-ebook/dp/B009SQ1LPK

Offline Missy Wilkinson

• View Profile
    • www.missywilkinson.com/
« Reply #23597 on: January 06, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

Getting back to the item at hand: Kindle Scout, how is it going folks?

So far, so good! I've been throwing a lot of time and money at my campaign and I'm happy with the results.  :) At three days, I have 1.1K views, and hit Hot & Trending for 58 out of 72 hours. Here's my campaign if you want to check it out: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/F2NAYVTGPPX7

Here's what I have done so far each day.

Day 1: Fiverr promotion with Abavar went live. Author Shout promo went live. And I posted here to be added to the campaign thread.

Day 2: Posted about the campaign on my blog ( http://www.missywilkinson.com/uncategorized/adventures-self-publishing/ ). Added a newsletter signup option in my blog sidebar. Posted in an authors' group on Facebook.

Day 3: Booked another Fiverr gig with Abavar, who posted my campaign in 15 Facebook groups.

Day 4: Today! I am going to post my opening chapters on Wattpad and see if that gets any traction.

Each day I'm also approaching one to three people I know IRL and asking them to vote. This is the most uncomfortable part! I hate asking for favors, even if it only requires 2 clicks. Haven't yet leveraged my social networks; I'm waiting until the third or fourth week to do that. Right now, sticking with the one-on-one approach seems to be working well.

One unexpected benefit: the Author Shout campaign has already snared me a handful of new Twitter followers--mostly writers whose stuff seems similar to my own. I'm really stoked to be connecting with these people. I'm also glad this has gotten my off my ass about making an email list.

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23598 on: January 06, 2018, 08:14:33 AM »
So since getting in the H&T I've stayed there for the last couple of days which is cool.

Stats from yesterday (day 10), read 1,200 page views and 32 hours in H&T.

19 days to go!

Offline It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23599 on: January 06, 2018, 08:15:55 AM »
So far, so good! I've been throwing a lot of time and money at my campaign and I'm happy with the results.  :) At three days, I have 1.1K views, and hit Hot & Trending for 58 out of 72 hours. Here's my campaign if you want to check it out: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/F2NAYVTGPPX7

Here's what I have done so far each day.

Day 1: Fiverr promotion with Abavar went live. Author Shout promo went live. And I posted here to be added to the campaign thread.

Day 2: Posted about the campaign on my blog ( http://www.missywilkinson.com/uncategorized/adventures-self-publishing/ ). Added a newsletter signup option in my blog sidebar. Posted in an authors' group on Facebook.

Day 3: Booked another Fiverr gig with Abavar, who posted my campaign in 15 Facebook groups.

Day 4: Today! I am going to post my opening chapters on Wattpad and see if that gets any traction.

Each day I'm also approaching one to three people I know IRL and asking them to vote. This is the most uncomfortable part! I hate asking for favors, even if it only requires 2 clicks. Haven't yet leveraged my social networks; I'm waiting until the third or fourth week to do that. Right now, sticking with the one-on-one approach seems to be working well.

One unexpected benefit: the Author Shout campaign has already snared me a handful of new Twitter followers--mostly writers whose stuff seems similar to my own. I'm really stoked to be connecting with these people. I'm also glad this has gotten my off my ass about making an email list.

Congrats on the strong start Missy! I keep seeing your book next to mine!