Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2036255 times)  

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #23675 on: January 09, 2018, 06:09:59 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for your congratulations! I appreciate your support so much!
I received my editorial feedback yesterday at around noon and then I got my "official" acceptance email at about 8pm last night. Now the fun begins! Implementing the editorial suggestions and creating a new cover.
For those of you who may be interested, the editorial feedback they provided is quite detailed and extensive. It includes developmental editing, line editing and copy editing suggestions. (The new cover suggestion was "highly recommended.")
I wanted to once again say how much I value this group and the wealth of knowledge that you are all so generous to share. It helped me tremendously!

Congratulations! It's good to know they don't necessarily reject a book based on the cover. After all, the cover is easy to change.

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
    • Brigitta Moon's Website
« Reply #23676 on: January 09, 2018, 06:22:21 AM »
Yes, I'm noticing that lately the books that make it have been accepted quickly instead of the ten to fifteen-day wait.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23677 on: January 09, 2018, 06:35:23 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for your congratulations! I appreciate your support so much!
I received my editorial feedback yesterday at around noon and then I got my "official" acceptance email at about 8pm last night. Now the fun begins! Implementing the editorial suggestions and creating a new cover.
For those of you who may be interested, the editorial feedback they provided is quite detailed and extensive. It includes developmental editing, line editing and copy editing suggestions. (The new cover suggestion was "highly recommended.")
I wanted to once again say how much I value this group and the wealth of knowledge that you are all so generous to share. It helped me tremendously!

Congrats again! Does that mean they already had your replacement cover ready? That was very prompt, if so!

And I'm glad they seem to have delayed the email out. I always thought it was politer to communicate with the author before emailing everyone they ever knew :D Although it's possible it's just because of all the strange glitches going on over at Scout lately (people being rejected before their campaign ends, pages not updating for days although the author has been informed of the decision, etc)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:20:56 PM by MelanieCellier »

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline Missy Wilkinson

• View Profile
    • www.missywilkinson.com/
« Reply #23678 on: January 09, 2018, 06:36:22 AM »
Congrats, Karen! That's a wonderful accomplishment and very encouraging to hear.

Update on my campaign: After a strong start, ACTS OF GOD AND OTHER DAMAGE (https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/F2NAYVTGPPX7 fell off the Hot & Trending list yesterday. This is disheartening, as I had booked several promos to run the past two days.

Sunday, Jan 7: Bookkitty
Monday, Jan 8: Scout Boost, Marvelous Maven

It looks like they maybe got me views (since my views were up) but not nominations?

Tomorrow I'm going to Mexico for six days to watch my sister get married. I'll be away from my computer so I won't be able to stalk the Kindle Scout campaign page, which is a good thing. Right now I'm alternating between thinking "you don't have to be Hot & Trending the whole time to win" and "I'LL NEVER GET A CONTRACT, WAHHH."

I'm also treating these six days in Mexico like a mini writing retreat. I'll be editing my next manuscript for several hours each morning. And should ACTS OF GOD not get selected for the contract, I'll be ready to do another Kindle Scout campaign with the next manuscript by then.

In that case, this campaign will serve as good research for the next one.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:53:48 AM by Missy Wilkinson »

Offline Heittwriter

• Check out LIA on Kindle Scout!
    • View Profile
    • Heitt, Writer
« Reply #23679 on: January 09, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
Congratulations, Karen!  ;D

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #23680 on: January 09, 2018, 07:58:37 AM »

Congratulations, Karen!  I can't wait to read all of Jericho Jaxon.  From the part I read on Kindle Scout, it sure seemed like a great story.  :)

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #23681 on: January 09, 2018, 08:12:39 AM »

Congratulations and good luck with the launch!

Offline KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
  • Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer
    • View Profile
    • Romantic mystery and suspense writer
« Reply #23682 on: January 09, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
Congrats again! Does that mean they already had your replacement cover ready? That was very prompt, if so!

Thank you! We're working on a replacement cover based on the editorial suggestions. Hopefully it will be ready this weekend. I'm devoting the weekend to doing some rewrites and additional polishing as well.  :)
Add a little mystery to your life!
Karen M. Bryson
Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer

Offline Heittwriter

• Check out LIA on Kindle Scout!
    • View Profile
    • Heitt, Writer
« Reply #23683 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:28 AM »
Nominated the following three works:

Joan the Made by Kristen Pham
The Last Generation by Lee Isserow
Midnight Talk by Brigitta Moon

Still in the Waiting Room.  ;)

Online Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #23684 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »

Nice job, Karen. I'm looking forward to reading the book. The cover didn't strike me as sci fi, but I loved the way the woman stared at me like I was prey.

Online ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #23685 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »

Me, too. I ended the day after you did.  I keep checking. :)

Offline KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
  • Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer
    • View Profile
    • Romantic mystery and suspense writer
« Reply #23686 on: January 09, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »
Nice job, Karen. I'm looking forward to reading the book. The cover didn't strike me as sci fi, but I loved the way the woman stared at me like I was prey.

Thank you! I think the cover is eye-catching and intriguing. One of the major issues the editor had was that the cover was not representative of the genre.
Add a little mystery to your life!
Karen M. Bryson
Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
    • "The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
« Reply #23687 on: January 09, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »

Ditto.
Good luck!
Kindle Scout campaign -
"The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3S650OYOVGEFS

Offline knpham

• San Diego, CA
  • YA Science Fiction and Fantasy author
    • View Profile
    • Kristen Pham's Blog
« Reply #23688 on: January 09, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »

Thanks for the nomination!!

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #23689 on: January 09, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
It is Tuesday morning.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Joan the Made by Kristen Pham
2 days left The Last Generation by Lee Isserow
3 days left Midnight Talk by Brigitta Moon
5 days left The Commander's Daughter by Colin Moerdyke
5 days left Grak - Gnomercy by Joseph J. Bailey
9 days left Aaron and Me, Works in Progress by Debralynn Fein
10 days left Fighting to Win by Sadie Riley
12 days left Cutie by Peter Stein
16 days left An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
18 days left Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
18 days left Knight School by Robert G. Culp
18 days left The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
19 days left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
23 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
23 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
24 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
24 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
25 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
25 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

I just nominated Joan The Made and The Last Generation.  Particularly excited to read both of these if/when they're published.  Good luck to both Kristen and Lee on their respective books.

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #23690 on: January 09, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »
Knight School has reached 1.2k views after a week at 1.1k views.  And from what I can tell, I might have at least gotten two new nominations.  Thanks to everyone who has looked at the page and for those haven't here's the link: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1DM8E9JSHPS3S

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23691 on: January 09, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »
Thank you! We're working on a replacement cover based on the editorial suggestions. Hopefully it will be ready this weekend. I'm devoting the weekend to doing some rewrites and additional polishing as well.  :)

Ah, I see. They were asking you to redo the cover yourself. No pressure, hey, haha. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:21:16 PM by MelanieCellier »

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
    • Brigitta Moon's Website
« Reply #23692 on: January 09, 2018, 03:08:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nominations. It seems the closer I get to the end of the campaign, the longer the days and nights get. I'm headed over to fill in my three slots, my nightly ritual.

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23693 on: January 09, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
Update on the completed facebook ad set. Average cost per click CPC went down to $1.09 which means it is way cheaper to run CPC during the weekdays, of course. Still wondering if anyone here had any luck with cost per thousand reached or CPM campaign instead? Reached over 20,000 individuals on facebook this way, and wondering about trying another round later in the month the other way.

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23694 on: January 09, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »
You can run FB ads in short boosts over certain hours or restrict to a particular target group.

Overall, this is a hit and miss process.
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline georgiana89

• London
    • View Profile
    • My website and blog
« Reply #23695 on: January 10, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »

Congrats. And it's super interesting to hear about what happens if you're picked.

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23696 on: January 10, 2018, 03:02:40 AM »
Impressive stuff everybody. Looking forward to hopefully reading the remainder of some of the works that I have been nominating.

Does everyone always proceed to Amazon Kdp, once they get rejected?
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23697 on: January 10, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »
Impressive stuff everybody. Looking forward to hopefully reading the remainder of some of the works that I have been nominating.

Does everyone always proceed to Amazon Kdp, once they get rejected?

It seems a logical next step, just to keep the momentum created by the campaign and make use of the option to advertise the book launch instantly to those who nominated it.
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23698 on: January 10, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
It is Wednesday. I had to get out of the house quickly this morning, so allow me to get on with the show now.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Joan the Made by Kristen Pham
1 day left The Last Generation by Lee Isserow
2 days left Midnight Talk by Brigitta Moon
4 days left The Commander's Daughter by Colin Moerdyke
4 days left Grak - Gnomercy by Joseph J. Bailey
8 days left Aaron and Me, Works in Progress by Debralynn Fein
9 days left Fighting to Win by Sadie Riley
11 days left Cutie by Peter Stein
15 days left An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
17 days left Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
17 days left Knight School by Robert G. Culp
17 days left The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
18 days left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
22 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
22 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
23 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
23 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
24 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
24 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #23699 on: January 10, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »
It seems a logical next step, just to keep the momentum created by the campaign and make use of the option to advertise the book launch instantly to those who nominated it.
I'll second that!

The first time I had a book rejected from KS, I put it up almost immediately and had the best launch I'd ever had--KS momentum!

The second time (just recently) I was rejected I waited, partly because I didn't want to launch in December. That's usually not a great time for ebook sales. I launched on December 27, figuring January, normally a good month, would be a better bet than a month earlier. The result? So far the recent book, which I think is at least as good, is selling much more slowly. Promos are netting 33% of the previous book's sales, sometimes even less. Before, I ranked in the 2000-5000 range. This time I'm struggling to hit 40,000. I should also mention that this time I had higher HT stats and 2.5 times as many pages views. There could be some other factor I'm missing, but right now it looks as if waiting a month killed my momentum.

So if there is any question in anyone's mind about whether to wait or not, the short answer is don't. You have been warned...

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter