Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1987278 times)  

Offline Debralynn

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #23725 on: January 12, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
Thank You Sceptique! :) :) :)

Offline Muyassar Sattarova

• Uzbekistan
  • Dreams come true!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23726 on: January 12, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
This is what I wanted to ask as I am writing my book at the moment. I will share my experience when I finish!

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
    • Brigitta Moon's Website
« Reply #23727 on: January 12, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »
From Scout first began, people fretted over whether a Scout rejection would make people less likely to buy a book. There's no evidence that's the case, though, so I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, you will get more nominators to bite at a lower new release price point, but I doubt any of them will think badly of the book just because it didn't make it.

I like D2D as an aggregator. Keep in mind that if you use it for Amazon you won't be able to use AMS ads, and for Kobo you won't be able to use its in-store promotions. The other vendors don't really have any instore options you miss through an aggregator. D2D is quick, efficient, and offers a lot of features.

I'm currently experimenting with four aggregators: D2D, Smashwords, PublishDrive, and Streetlib, in that order. I use D2D as my primary and use the others for those outlets that are unique to them. The only biggie not reached by D2D is Google Play, which can be accessed through either PublishDrive or Streetlib. Some people make a lot of sales on Google Play.

Many people also get good mileage out of Smashwords' own outlet (though I haven't). PD and SL mostly have unique European channels which may not do much good for a book in English, but if one uses them for something else, it's not like it costs extra to hit the other outlets. Streetlib's individual stores, which let people set up ebook stores on their websites, mean that any of those microvendors could choose to stock your book.

Bill, I did not know Kobo had an in-store promotion. Would you elaborate or pass along a link. I have used D2D and found it to be user-friendly. I mainly used it for iBooks. I found it very difficult to upload to them. They would send me a ticket every day with a vague explanation. Even with D2D I had to remember to remove the links from my book that link to a competitive site or they send a ticket to D2D to give to me.

On another note, my Kindlescout campaign is over tonight. I am overjoyed. This has been the longest thirty days of stress. Good luck to everyone.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #23728 on: January 12, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
Bill, I did not know Kobo had an in-store promotion. Would you elaborate or pass along a link. I have used D2D and found it to be user-friendly. I mainly used it for iBooks. I found it very difficult to upload to them. They would send me a ticket every day with a vague explanation. Even with D2D I had to remember to remove the links from my book that link to a competitive site or they send a ticket to D2D to give to me.

On another note, my Kindlescout campaign is over tonight. I am overjoyed. This has been the longest thirty days of stress. Good luck to everyone.
I haven't used the promotions myself. I have heard people saying they got good results from them. Unfortunately, using them does mean going direct to Kobo instead of going through D2D. Perhaps someone who has used them will weigh in.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23729 on: January 12, 2018, 05:52:41 PM »
I upload directly to Kobo, Kdp, and Barnes and Noble.

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
    • "The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
« Reply #23730 on: January 12, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »
Does "1 day left" actually mean two days since there is also a "last day"? I'm trying not to miss some nominations.

Yes.
Kindle Scout campaign -
"The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3S650OYOVGEFS

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23731 on: January 12, 2018, 09:33:34 PM »
Much obliged! And congrats on reaching "1 day left."  ;D

Going to miss my new obsessive habit of checking out every hour: "Am I hot or not?" :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:46:03 PM by sceptique »
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23732 on: January 12, 2018, 09:35:54 PM »
Nominated: GRAK - Gnomercy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:37:53 PM by sceptique »
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline Peter Stein

• View Profile
« Reply #23733 on: January 13, 2018, 02:08:50 AM »
(Before I even begin, I am Swedish, so forgive me if I am not using the proper words.)

This will be rather long, so bear with me, but anyway here is my story. (Edit: I actually wrote a long story about how I operate as an author but I erased it, that is not what you guys are here for. The story is about my entry in the Kindle Scout)

I was about to release my book in the US when somebody tipped me about the Kindle Scout program so I decided to put everything on hold and enter the contest. In hindsight I probably should have done it another way than spending five minutes on submitting it and launching an fb campaign.

At first I thought it was just fun but after a few days it got real when I got several thousand page views the first days. I suddenly (can I use that word here? :-D ) understood that I wanted to, if not win, then at least spend some significant time on the HT-list.

Now, about eight days or so left, I decided to call it off. I will let the campaign run it's course but realistically I understand that with 9 hrs total on the HT-list, at this point it's like beating a dead horse to continue. So this one is a miss, but there will be more books and I hope to be able to return with one of my other books in 2019. And BTW, there is a whole big US out there just waiting to be conquered!

Here is what I've learned:
You need three things to get selected and not just one. Cover, cover text and a strong beginning of the book.
You will also need a strong promotion campaign (email-lists and friends on fb that can nominate your book and so on).

Here is what they don't tell you at school: It's probably quite possible to kill your own book if you are running the wrong kind of campaign.

Food for thought:
Alternative 1: 50 page views and 10 nominations.
Alternative II: 500 page views and 20 nominations.
Which one will get you on the HT-list? By attracting the wrong kind of people with a promotion campaign you will probably reduce your own chances.

Anything forgotten? Ah yes. Steve Vernon: thank you so much for maintaining the list, brightens up my day every day I read the words: "So let's get on with today's list, shall we". Thanks!

If nothing else, I suspect I have a magic talent for picking a winner. Of the three books I've nominated: "Clockwork soldiers", "Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter" and "The Commander's Daughter" two have been selected. Let's see how it goes with the last one.

Good luck to everyone that is still in the program and have a great weekend!

/Peter

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23734 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:33 AM »
Wondering where is my next option to go and try get nominations?

I've not made the hot list since the process started for me. I see that some titles start their journeys on the list and don't seem to be moving.

My page views doing just fine though.

On the face of it, I do not seem to be doing so well. That's the thing though, hard to know what Kindle Scout are looking at.

Oh, mine is Secret of The Lost Key BTW.
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23735 on: January 13, 2018, 02:58:18 AM »

At first I thought it was just fun but after a few days it got real when I got
If nothing else, I suspect I have a magic talent for picking a winner. Of the three books I've nominated: "Clockwork soldiers", "Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter" and "The Commander's Daughter" two have been selected. Let's see how it goes with the last one.

/Peter

Thanks, Peter! I do hope you have a magic touch when it comes to picking the winner. :)

So far TCD got 9.6K views, so your bets are not too far off, I dare to hope.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:05:34 AM by sceptique »
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23736 on: January 13, 2018, 03:12:37 AM »
Update on "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" - https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1X44DG0TTIURM

After some times alternating hot and cold (yesterday was only 177 page views with 1 hour H&T), reached the 4000 page views mark yesterday. So, getting some exposure and with 95 out of 192 hours H&T by day 8's end, has been doing decently. Set another tighter targeted fb ad that isn't reaching all that many, but its click-through rate is seven times better than what the prior one was, so learning a bit there.

Overall, feel satisfied with the experience so far considering expectations, and will see what upcoming days brings.

Also, already had "The Commander's Daughter" among my nominations and added "Knight School" today when another one completed its run.

Offline georgiana89

• London
    • View Profile
    • My website and blog
« Reply #23737 on: January 13, 2018, 03:58:44 AM »
Checking on my stats at the end of week one, My Love is Vengeance (https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2EIVFGDYBQ4EU ) is at 2800 page views and 118 hours in hot and trending. Fairly pleased with that, though depressingly, page views are falling by the day and after 4 solid days in hot and trending earlier in the week, I'm now flitting in and out of the list for an hour or two at a time at best.
Does everyone experience this mid-campaign slump or have some people managed to keep up momentum?

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23738 on: January 13, 2018, 04:06:34 AM »
It's Saturday and we've got a bit of a windstorm happening today in Halifax. I'm hoping we can keep the power on.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left The Commander's Daughter by Colin Moerdyke
1 day left Grak - Gnomercy by Joseph J. Bailey
5 days left Aaron and Me, Works in Progress by Debralynn Fein
6 days left Fighting to Win by Sadie Riley
8 days left Cutie by Peter Stein
12 days left An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
14 days left Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
14 days left Knight School by Robert G. Culp
14 days left The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
15 days left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
19 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
19 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
20 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
20 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
21 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
21 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23739 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:19 AM »
Checking on my stats at the end of week one, My Love is Vengeance (https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2EIVFGDYBQ4EU ) is at 2800 page views and 118 hours in hot and trending. Fairly pleased with that, though depressingly, page views are falling by the day and after 4 solid days in hot and trending earlier in the week, I'm now flitting in and out of the list for an hour or two at a time at best.
Does everyone experience this mid-campaign slump or have some people managed to keep up momentum?

Pairs well with my experience, though you are doing better on hot ant trending - good for you.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23740 on: January 13, 2018, 06:22:22 AM »
Pairs well with my experience, though you are doing better on hot ant trending - good for you.

News flash - hot ant trending!!!

I know I'm being a son-of-a-bear kidding someone about a typo, especially as many typoes as I make - but I just could not help myself!

Offline SadieRiley

• View Profile
« Reply #23741 on: January 13, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
i just nominated The Commander's Daughter with my open slot. Six days left for FIGHTING TO WIN!

Reflections so far.... it's so much easier to get organic views in the beginning than towards the end!

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23742 on: January 13, 2018, 07:16:15 AM »

I know I'm being a son-of-a-bear kidding someone about a typo, especially as many typoes as I make - but I just could not help myself!

Love the picture!!! :D :D

Pretty much sums up KS experience. ;)
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23743 on: January 13, 2018, 07:17:48 AM »
i just nominated The Commander's Daughter with my open slot. Six days left for FIGHTING TO WIN!

Reflections so far.... it's so much easier to get organic views in the beginning than towards the end!

Thank you! You are on my "saved" list as well, as soon as a slot frees up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:02:28 AM by sceptique »
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #23744 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »
Hey Peter,
Don't give up before it's over. I'm in the same boat as you regarding views and the H&T list. The secret, I think, is believing in your work.
(I like your t-shirt, by the way.)
Books have been selected with few hours in hot and trending. The bottom line is that, if the editors like it, they like it. If they don't, they don't. Hot and trending may be a factor in whether or not you get shortlisted (receive editorial feedback), and it might be a tie breaker, but even that isn't certain.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23745 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:57 AM »
(Before I even begin, I am Swedish, so forgive me if I am not using the proper words.)

This will be rather long, so bear with me, but anyway here is my story. (Edit: I actually wrote a long story about how I operate as an author but I erased it, that is not what you guys are here for. The story is about my entry in the Kindle Scout)

I was about to release my book in the US when somebody tipped me about the Kindle Scout program so I decided to put everything on hold and enter the contest. In hindsight I probably should have done it another way than spending five minutes on submitting it and launching an fb campaign.

At first I thought it was just fun but after a few days it got real when I got several thousand page views the first days. I suddenly (can I use that word here? :-D ) understood that I wanted to, if not win, then at least spend some significant time on the HT-list.

Now, about eight days or so left, I decided to call it off. I will let the campaign run it's course but realistically I understand that with 9 hrs total on the HT-list, at this point it's like beating a dead horse to continue. So this one is a miss, but there will be more books and I hope to be able to return with one of my other books in 2019. And BTW, there is a whole big US out there just waiting to be conquered!

Here is what I've learned:
You need three things to get selected and not just one. Cover, cover text and a strong beginning of the book.
You will also need a strong promotion campaign (email-lists and friends on fb that can nominate your book and so on).

Here is what they don't tell you at school: It's probably quite possible to kill your own book if you are running the wrong kind of campaign.

Food for thought:
Alternative 1: 50 page views and 10 nominations.
Alternative II: 500 page views and 20 nominations.
Which one will get you on the HT-list? By attracting the wrong kind of people with a promotion campaign you will probably reduce your own chances.

Anything forgotten? Ah yes. Steve Vernon: thank you so much for maintaining the list, brightens up my day every day I read the words: "So let's get on with today's list, shall we". Thanks!

/Peter

Peter, thanks for sharing your experience. I understand completely. Kindlescout is hard work. This is my second go round. In the beginning, I was not going to do anything except let the campaign run its course. My reason for entering was to obtain the editorial review. The problem with the plan is only shortlisted books get the review and Kindlescout do not give out that information. The first day I received 466 views, no hot and trending hours.For six days the views slowly dropped off with no hours in hot and trending. Finally, I decided to do some promotion. I actually wanted to win. I started my campaign. My views increased and I made the hot and trending list, eight hours the first day of the promotion, nine hours the second, and twenty-four hours on the third day. I remained H&T for 24 hours a day for five days.It was constant promotion. I was on vacation, but not having one. Finally, I decided to enjoy my vacation and let the campaign run its course. I had, after all, done so much promotion. As soon as I stopped actively promoting and started taking advantage of my vacation, my book's stat died a horrible death. From six hours to four hours to fours to zero hours on H&T. Page views dropped also to less than 100 a day. This was a very stressful awakening. On the final day, I had 312 page views and twenty-three hours of H&T. Now the wait for a decision begins. So, even if you throw in the towel, ignore your campaign, or give up, the campaign will run without you. It will run for thirty days. I have a new series which has two books so far. I am in the process of writing books three and four in my Marston series. I am considering entering book three into the contest. This time, if nothing else, I know I have to be prepared for thirty days of promotion. Good luck to everyone.

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23746 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »

Thanks for the laugh. We need some hearty laughter when we are in the midst of running a grueling campaign. I'm in the waiting room of Kindlescout, laughing happily because of the Trending Ant.  :-*

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
« Reply #23747 on: January 13, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »
"We must take arms each and every day, perhaps knowing that the battle cannot be entirely won, but fight we must, if only a gentle bout. The smallest effort to win means, at the end of each day, a sort of victory."
Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing
Kindle Scout campaign -

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23748 on: January 13, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »

Lol, fun. What's really bad is how often I've wanted to spell thief as theif - kinda important when it is in the series subtitle.

Offline ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #23749 on: January 13, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »

Good luck. It can be a long wait. :) Hoping you get selected.