Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2034535 times)  

Offline Brigitta Moon

• I tell stories...
    • View Profile
    • Brigitta Moon's Website
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #23875 on: January 20, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
Thanks for everyone who nominated FIGHTING TO WIN. My campaign is in review, and I'm thinking about next steps. If it's not selected I haven't decided what I'll do with the book. It seems that most publish on Amazon immediately. Is that correct?

The email I wrote in the beginning that automatically goes to all nominators is horrible and has no call to action. But what is my call to action if I haven't decided what will happen with the book? When do they typically send this out, and will they let me modify it? If anyone is interested in stats here they are:

6.2k Views
392 hour in H and T

If this post sounds confusing, its because I am confused. :)
KS sends you an email reminding you how your letter will read when it gets sent out.
You can respond to the email, rewrite what you want and they will change it. I emphasize - write it exactly as you want it. I wrote my response with instructions on what to change. They sent me back the email showing what they intended to email to the people who nominated my book. It was exactly as
I had written, instructions and all.

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #23876 on: January 20, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »
Yes, it's possible to make changes after a submission has been approved and even after the campaign goes live. I've made a few myself. They give you a day or two to preview your campaign page after it's been approved but before anyone else can see it, during which time you can contact them with any changed you want made. After the campaign goes live, they are still quite responsive to any requests you might have, although I imagine they won't be too happy about changes substantial enough to confuse the readers.

Thanks, it's good to know. And the KS team is more flexible than I thought.

Thanks, Simply_J! A lot of excellent ideas here.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the book was chosen, knowing what I know about it's content. :)

You are right, this is, essentially, an "otaku" book, and "otaku" are not a mass market by definition.

There are some editorial suggestions, that make take some time to implement (like changes to the plot structure).
But the suggestions for book marketing might be an easier fix. Here are some more, if you are interested:

Marketing comments:

Youve chosen some YA categories for the books marketing, but there are several aspects of the content that are inconsistent with many YA readers expectations for the genre, and so you might consider modifying either the content or your marketing strategy in the interest of best meeting readers expectations:

o   While there are many notable exceptions to this, most commercially-successful contemporary YA novels use a first-person narrator, or at least adopt a more young adult perspective. For example, the references to The King and I and Viktor Frankl are more consistent with the narrative voice of a book being marketed to middle-aged readers than to YA readers.

o   Compared to most contemporary YA, an unusually high proportion of this novels content is devoted to the adult characters discussing their adult conflicts with other adults. From a Sci-Fi worldbuilding perspective this is fantastic because it enhances the novels sense of scope and realism, but YA readers are mostly interested in seeing the story through the young adult protagonists perspective, and these scenes (particularly the ones featuring Stan and Takura) have a thoroughly adult point of view. Should you publish the book and find that YA readers are not drawn to the content, you might consider dropping the YA categories and simply marketing the book as non-YA Sci-Fi. (In which case, you might also consider changing the cover design to de-emphasize the protagonists age.)

o   To our eye, the cover design looks more like a line drawing than is perhaps ideal: the black shape outlines are very prominent, and the color shading looks a bit flat and painted on. We think that readers will be more likely to consider purchasing this book if the cover art is further refined so that it has a more photorealistic appearance. Furthermore, most readers will only ever see the books cover at thumbnail size, and many will only see it in grayscale, and so we recommend proofing the illustration and lettering to those parameters, as well.

One more comment on the cover design: the gun in Harvies hand seems too old-fashioned compared to the way the guns are described in the story.

Now, I understand better their decision. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I used to be an "otaku" and I found anime an inspiration to start writing again. (I was writing since I was a child, but stopped when I grew up). The irony is once I took writing seriously, there was no time for anime. There is a lot I intend to catch with soon.

Well, I don't know your goals as an author, but in order to succeed we sometimes must adapt. You can publish Harvie as you intended originally. And on the side, I suggest that you write a new series using the same world from Harvie, but more commercial. Using an anime analogy, it would be more like 'Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny' than 'Kurau Phantom Memory'. There still a lot room for drama and action.   

And, of course, written in the first person present tense POV, and character driven. In that way, you can write what you feel like, and be successful too. I'ts what some famous authors had done.

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #23877 on: January 20, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
I think this would be a great idea. I've done a lot of CP-ing/beta reading and received and acted on a lot of feedback on my novels too, and I'd be happy to give my thoughts on people's entries pre-submission. And indeed, I'd be keen to get views on any subsequent novels I decide to enter.

In the meantime, where's the thread you mentioned where people comment on covers and blurbs before they are submitted?

The threads for blurs and covers are individually posted by authors. These are two of the most recent ones:

Blurb and cover feedback please?
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,260033.0.html

Just got new covers up, comments welcome!
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,260050.0.html

I thought that we could do something like 'Please take a look at my YA Kindle Scout MS before I submit' type of thread, so the ones of us who have the time, experience and willingness could see if there is anything to better the submission.

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #23878 on: January 20, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
I just nominated Cutie by Peter Stein.

Jill James and Kay L Ling, I don't see your names on Steve's list, or are you guys using a pen name? Huh, maybe I missed something, I'm sorry, if I did.

Anyway, best of luck, everyone!

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #23879 on: January 20, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »

Jill James and Kay L Ling, I don't see your names on Steve's list, or are you guys using a pen name? Huh, maybe I missed something, I'm sorry, if I did.

Anyway, best of luck, everyone!

Were still waiting for our campaigns to be approved and go live.

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #23880 on: January 20, 2018, 02:19:15 PM »
Were still waiting for our campaigns to be approved and go live.

Thanks.

;D

I knew I missed something. I'm juggling too many things at the same time.

Offline Peter Stein

• View Profile
« Reply #23881 on: January 20, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »

Thank you! (Or as we say it in Sweden: Tusen tack!)

It's late night here in Sweden and I am doing an early draft of Author's afterword with the purpose pitching for the sequel to Cutie and maybe getting some reviews.

I'm still not sure about this. It kind of feels like I am compromising the book with stuff from the outside world. Stuff I'd like to keep out. Marketing stuff that should have no place in a book.

Where are you guys on this? Better to skip it right?

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23882 on: January 20, 2018, 07:40:20 PM »
Thanks for everyone who nominated FIGHTING TO WIN. My campaign is in review, and I'm thinking about next steps. If it's not selected I haven't decided what I'll do with the book. It seems that most publish on Amazon immediately. Is that correct?

The email I wrote in the beginning that automatically goes to all nominators is horrible and has no call to action. But what is my call to action if I haven't decided what will happen with the book? When do they typically send this out, and will they let me modify it? If anyone is interested in stats here they are:

6.2k Views
392 hour in H and T

If this post sounds confusing, its because I am confused. :)

Your stats look good. Best wishes on the outcome.

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #23883 on: January 20, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »
I submitted mine last night, too. Good luck with yours and don't stress. Come what may, it's great exposure for your work.

Good luck to you too!!
Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline Jill James

• View Profile
« Reply #23884 on: January 20, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »
Good luck. May the gods of KindleScout be with you. :)

Thanks, Ronesa.

Offline Jill James

• View Profile
« Reply #23885 on: January 20, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »

I just submitted it last night, I haven't heard yet if they accepted it.

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23886 on: January 21, 2018, 03:16:35 AM »
Okay - so it is Sunday and I have got an evening shift at work ahead of me.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Cutie by Peter Stein
4 days left An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
6 days left Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
6 days left Knight School by Robert G. Culp
6 days left The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
7 days left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
11 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
11 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
12 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
12 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
13 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
13 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent
21 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
21 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
27 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Peter Stein

• View Profile
« Reply #23887 on: January 21, 2018, 04:35:47 AM »
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

Stats:
8k views, 56% from Kindle. Looks like it will be a total of 150 hrs in the Hot and Trending list with almost all the last week.
The last 4 days will be with 100% on the list so that was nice to finish like that.

In retrospect, I should not have done the fb ads. Lincoln J Cole, Authors Shout, readper and the other book blogs proved to be working when fb was not. Still here we are and I am very happy with the fact that at one point in time, my book was on the hot list of Kindle Scout.

That's huge for me. (Even if I had to pay for the promotion, it doesn't matter. I WAS on the list with my book!)

I'll be signing off now, but I am sure we'll see each other in the other threads here on kboards.

One more thing. This was a truly a fantastic experience. I want to do it again! I hope I can enter my next book here in 2019 when it should be ready and translated. See you then!

To the rest of you still in the program: Good luck and I hope you have a fantastic journey!

/Peter

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23888 on: January 21, 2018, 04:37:05 AM »
Filled up my slots with some interesting future reads! Good luck to everyone!

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23889 on: January 21, 2018, 05:22:26 AM »
And now, the end is near

Stats:
8k views, 56% from Kindle. Looks like it will be a total of 150 hrs in the Hot and Trending list with almost all the last week.
The last 4 days will be with 100% on the list so that was nice to finish like that.

In retrospect, I should not have done the fb ads. Lincoln J Cole, Authors Shout, readper and the other book blogs proved to be working when fb was not. Still here we are and I am very happy with the fact that at one point in time, my book was on the hot list of Kindle Scout.

That's huge for me. (Even if I had to pay for the promotion, it doesn't matter. I WAS on the list with my book!)

I'll be signing off now, but I am sure we'll see each other in the other threads here on kboards.

One more thing. This was a truly a fantastic experience. I want to do it again! I hope I can enter my next book here in 2019 when it should be ready and translated. See you then!

To the rest of you still in the program: Good luck and I hope you have a fantastic journey!

/Peter

Those look like great stats to me. You finished strong, so would think that would impress those deciding on marketability of your novel for kindle publication selection.

For my entry, "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" ( https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1X44DG0TTIURM ) has slowed down on views, but still trending all right overall, seems to be part of that murky middle third of the campaign experience. I'm not sure I'll see 8000 views. Looking to give a more formal update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:25:09 AM by kalencap »

Online It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23890 on: January 21, 2018, 05:33:22 AM »
And now, the end is near

Stats:

/Peter

Thanks for posting, these stats are great and very interesting in comparison to mine.

Here are mine with four days left...

1.6k views, 124 hours in hot and trending, 85% from kindle scout.

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #23891 on: January 21, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »
Had three open slots and nominated:

Cutie by Peter Stein
An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller

Good luck to all three and all those in the KS waiting room!

Mark

Online It's A Mystery

• Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23892 on: January 21, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »
Had three open slots and nominated:

Cutie by Peter Stein
An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller

Good luck to all three and all those in the KS waiting room!

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Offline ritastradling

• Arcata
    • View Profile
    • Rita Stradling Books
« Reply #23893 on: January 21, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
Okay - so it is Sunday and I have got an evening shift at work ahead of me.

Hey Steve :) is there anyway that you could add my grandpa's campaign to your list? https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/19DC3M65T0O2I

Hi everyone :) haven't been here in a while, but I'll be sure to to start nominating all of your books!!! Just grabbed Cutie and An Occupied Grave
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:48:55 AM by ritastradling »

Rita Stradling | blog | website | facebook | twitter

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23894 on: January 22, 2018, 05:02:05 AM »
Update on "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" kindle scout run - https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1X44DG0TTIURM

Reached the second goal of 250 hours H&T yesterday with 12 days remaining. Page views are at 5.5K. Since page views dropped off while maintaining some H&T time, revising third goal down to 7K page views. Since I'm goal oriented (as if that's not obvious), a 4th stretch goal for H&T hours is 361 - just over half.

Unlike what some others have stated recently, have been finding the modest amount of fb ads to be a useful part of the mix in this, particularly after becoming better at targeting them more effectively since the first round. Will try a bit more to get a more fully informed opinion.

Thanks everyone for any support you can give - including shares of "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" listing.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23895 on: January 22, 2018, 05:14:23 AM »
I also believe that's the case.
Yup. Ranking is initially set by that first big rush of downloads - which is ANOTHER reason to push like all get-out for a lot of nominations.
Hopefully someone else will answer your question, but as far as I know, it works like someone buying a book you have on preorder. So, yes, it should favorably impact your sales rank.

I've been thinking about this a little lately, and wondering if it actually works against Kindle Press books, to some extent. We know that a lot of Scouters will nominate ending soon books that look vaguely interesting to them in order to maximize their nominations. So, I suspect you end up with a lot of nominators who aren't necessarily primarily readers of your sub-genre. (I know I have some Kindle Press books sitting on my kindle that I nominated because they looked good, downloaded when they were selected, and haven't actually gotten around to reading because they're not really my genre.) This is also borne out by the reviews you'll see on Kindle Press books saying something along the lines of "I don't usually read this genre, but I got this book from Kindle Scout, and..." In fact, I seem to remember previous selected authors commenting that they ended up with lower review averages because of this phenomenon.

But the issue that I've been thinking about is the power of a launch and training the algorithms (which Chris Fox talks about in his book Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books). If you want the majority of your early purchasers to be focussed fans within your sub-genre in order to train the Amazon algorithms who they should show your book to, then all those early downloads from casual Scouters may well end up damaging a launch. I wonder if this factor (along with issues like the downgraded reviews from people who don't really like the genre) is part of the reason that Kindle Press doesn't seem to have quite the power of some of the other Amazon imprints.

It's an interesting question but, of course, I don't know that there's actually much you can do about it. It might be an argument against casting your net really wide for nominations, though, I suppose. Are any of the Kindle Scout advertising options genre targeted?

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23896 on: January 22, 2018, 05:26:58 AM »
Monday, Monday - can't trust that day - but here you are anyway!

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

3 days left An Occupied Grave by A.G. Barnett
5 days left Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
5 days left Knight School by Robert G. Culp
5 days left The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
6 days left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
10 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
10 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
11 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
11 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
12 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
12 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent
20 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
20 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
25 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
26 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #23897 on: January 22, 2018, 06:05:59 AM »
I've been thinking about this a little lately, and wondering if it actually works against Kindle Press books, to some extent. We know that a lot of Scouters will nominate ending soon books that look vaguely interesting to them in order to maximize their nominations. So, I suspect you end up with a lot of nominators who aren't necessarily primarily readers of your sub-genre. (I know I have some Kindle Press books sitting on my kindle that I nominated because they looked good, downloaded when they were selected, and haven't actually gotten around to reading because they're not really my genre.) This is also borne out by the reviews you'll see on Kindle Press books saying something along the lines of "I don't usually read this genre, but I got this book from Kindle Scout, and..." In fact, I seem to remember previous selected authors commenting that they ended up with lower review averages because of this phenomenon.

But the issue that I've been thinking about is the power of a launch and training the algorithms (which Chris Fox talks about in his book Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books). If you want the majority of your early purchasers to be focussed fans within your sub-genre in order to train the Amazon algorithms who they should show your book to, then all those early downloads from casual Scouters may well end up damaging a launch. I wonder if this factor (along with issues like the downgraded reviews from people who don't really like the genre) is part of the reason that Kindle Press doesn't seem to have quite the power of some of the other Amazon imprints.

It's an interesting question but, of course, I don't know that there's actually much you can do about it. It might be an argument against casting your net really wide for nominations, though, I suppose. Are any of the Kindle Scout advertising options genre targeted?

I think you raise some valid concerns. Like you, I've nominated books from this list or directly from the KS website that seemed professional, though not necessarily my preferred genre. I have tons of winners I haven't read, and I've read quite a few that weren't selected. As a side note, many that weren't selected were as engaging--if not more so--than those that were. My favorite genre is fantasy, but I also like certain types of mysteries and romances. Hopefully, other KS nominators are the same way, and while the books they nominate may not be their preferred genre, they still enjoy them and will leave fair reviews.

As for messing with your also-boughts, initially that may be the case. If a lot of the nominators are fans of your previous books, that would help. Or if nominators came from targeted FB ads. Before long, I imagine readers of your own genre would dominate the also-boughts, and it would sort itself out.

I wonder if authors who are selected are allowed to use review services such as Hidden Gems. That would be another way to get genre-specific reviews prior to launch. I know the rules state you're allowed to supply copies to reviewers, so maybe that's an option.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #23898 on: January 22, 2018, 06:46:57 AM »

Interesting ideas! However, I'm more inclined to think the reason KP has less clout is that it has fewer resources. It looks more to me as if it's an experiment, not something that Amazon has really gone all-in on. I see a lot more promotions for other imprints than I do for KP. Selections for Kindle First reads are drawn from other imprints, never from KP (unless I've missed something). Also, KP is restricted to digital formats--and, in practice, to ebooks in English. Audio books haven't happened yet. Translations haven't happened yet.

That's not to say that KP isn't a good deal. It's just better to compare it to a small publisher than to a major one--or even another Amazon imprint.

That said, the issue with reviews and algorithms  is real. Not much could be done about the first one, but Amazon could, if it wanted to, adjust the algorithm to give less weight to nominators who don't normally read the genre. (Maybe a brief survey to find out which genres each scouter prefers would help in that regard.)

With regard to targeted ads for Scout, Ripley's Booklist is targeted to YA and NA readers (and the advertised books in campaigns in general seem to target sci-fi and fantasy mostly).  Lincoln Cole and Jaxon Reed both also write in those genres, so I assume their mailing lists reflect those preferences. Generally, that means writers of science fiction and fantasy are in good shape. I wish there were some way to encourage other promoters to offer a Scout alternative. Ones with large enough reading lists (ENT, for instance), could easily do a targeted Scout campaign.

Sadly, I have no idea how to encourage large providers to get into Scout campaigns. Are there enough of us who pay for advertising to make it worthwhile? I have no idea.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23899 on: January 22, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
It's really tough not to feel disheartened when reading of people's page views and Hot and Trending list hours, especially when we have no idea if any of that has a bearing on the outcome.

In fact, it seems to have less of an impact, or even a damaging one. Let me explain my theory.

Kindle Scout choose the best story, period. I think they take into account any previous titles and how far your reach is. But not entirely sure it's weighted against the hours in Hot and Trending or even page views. We have all seen the ads that promise to place your book in the H&T list, and Kindle Scout know when you use them, so by default, do they carry little weight?

My theory is, they read em all, unless they are atrocious from the get go and they factor in the amount of people who have had to Google your book title themselves.

Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.